"Sometimes you're late to work. It's life. It's not life threatening ... Sometimes your alarm clock isn't going to go off."- Todd Bowles

Matt39

BREAKING NEWS :

Bill Belichick has been so inspired by coach Bowles new hot take on leadership he has announced a change in the now famous "Do Your Job" mantra to the more Bowles like;

"Just look busy when the boss is around"

More at 11

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Larz said:

BREAKING NEWS :

Bill Belichick has been so inspired by coach Bowles new hot take on leadership he has announced a change in the now famous "Do Your Job" mantra to the more Bowles like;

"Just look busy when the boss is around"

More at 11

No it's, "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in."

Film at 11.

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Actually he gives another example later in the piece:

Bowles offered a similar response when asked about last season's locker-room strife, which included a Brandon Marshall-Richardson argument that left "a black cloud" over the team, according to Darrelle Revis.

Once again, Bowles sounded like a former player, basically saying, "Boys will be boys." Clearly, the issue was more serious than that, based on comments from his own players."

some teams can function that way.  the raiders teams of the 80's were like that.  same thing with the cowboy teams of the 70's and probably the redskin teams bowles played on.  and some of what he says in true about minor things but he doesn't have a whole bunch of players who know how to win let alone play the game to win so he needs to get their attention early and often.  he doesn't have to make them sit on their helmets but he does need to make sure they know who's boss.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/10/adalius-thomas-dumbfounded-by-being-sent-home/

Adalius Thomas "dumbfounded" by being sent home

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 10, 2009, 12:56 PM EDT

Patriots linebacker Adalius Thomas, back at work on Thursday a day after being sent home for showing up late, met with the media regarding the situation.

Per Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald, Thomas said he was “dumbfounded” by the decision to send him and three tardy teammates home.

“I wish I could give you some answers,” Thomas said.  “I really do.  I don’t know.  I mean, you’re told to call and you call, you get sent home.”

But that’s not what former Pats tight end Christian Fauria told Tom Curran of Comcast on Wednesday.  “Bill used to say, ‘It’s New England.  Make sure you leave yourself
enough time to get here,” Fauria said.  “And that doesn’t mean you can call 10 minutes
before 8
 and tell me you’ll be late.  Regardless of what time you’re
supposed to be here, leave time for inclement weather.'”

Thomas also seemed to be frustrated by the perception that the team cares only about whether the player will be there on time, and not why he might not be there on time.

“I mean, I could have been in the ditch,” Thomas said.  “They really don’t give a damn, honestly.  Hey, as long as you ain’t in the meeting, they really don’t give a [expletive].”

None of the other three players who were sent home — Derrick Burgess, Randy Moss, and Gary Guyton — have spoken publicly about the situation.

And what can they say?  They get paid huge money to do something that kids and young men throughout the country do for free.  They don’t have to scrub toilets, they don’t have to deal with dirty plates, they don’t have to contend with rude customers who can’t seem to understand the phrase “we’re out of those right now,” and they don’t have to face anything else that goes along with having a real job.

Like those of us who have a real job (and I freely admit I’m no longer one of them), these men were held accountable for not following simple rules like “show up for work on time.”  So the best approach moving forward would be to say nothing at all about it.

And to show up for work on time.

http://www.espn.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/11746518/new-england-patriots-cornerback-darrelle-revis-sent-home-being-late

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- New England Patriots cornerback Darrelle Revis was barred from practice Tuesday by coach Bill Belichick for tardiness, two sources confirmed to ESPN's Mike Reiss.

After playing Thursday night against Revis' former team, the New York Jets, Patriots players were given the weekend off before returning to practice Tuesday. The players were to meet at 7:30 a.m. ET, and Revis was not present.

According to the sources, Revis was sent home by Belichick, an assertion previously reported by The Boston Globe.

The Boston Herald reported Revis missed practice after oversleeping but was told to stay home instead of showing up late. Revis appeared at Gillette Stadium later in the day after his teammates had left, when he met privately with Belichick and apologized, according to the Herald report.

Revis was asked about his absence from Tuesday's practice in the locker room Wednesday.

"Between me and Coach," Revis said. "Talk to him about it."

Belichick was not asked about Revis' absence during his Wednesday morning news conference.

The Globe report cited a source saying Revis accepted being sent home and understands that Belichick's rules apply to everyone. In the past, Belichick has sent players home, including former linebacker Adalius Thomas and star wide receiver Randy Moss.

The most recent player to be sent home for tardiness was linebacker Brandon Spikes, who is now with the Buffalo Bills. Spikes missed a practice after arriving late to a team meeting during a snowstorm. Spikes tweeted a picture of his snow-covered car when the incident occurred.

Because the Patriots have a longer week to prepare for this Sunday's game against the Chicago Bears, the team is practicing four days instead of the usual three. The Patriots were not required to put out an injury report for Tuesday's practice or explain why any players were absent.

Revis was at practice Wednesday and in full pads.

Information from ESPNBoston.com contributor Lee Schechter was used in this report.

That was clear on Tuesday when Bowles made his strange, dismissive remarks about the chronic lateness of some of his players last season ("Sometimes you're late for work. Sometimes you're alarm clock's not going to go off."). The words, and his attitude, were not well received by anyone who thought the 53-year-old Bowles would suddenly crack down on his team.

Now some of that was surely Bowles' way of ramping down the criticism of those players - particularly Sheldon Richardson and Muhammed Wilkerson - as he continued to downplay last year's locker-room strife. Bowles is a former player, after all. He almost always publicly stands by his players' sides.

It's a bad look, though. In an era were coaches run teams with military-like discipline, it looks weak compared to teams like the Giants who have spent the last 13 seasons on "Coughlin Time" with their clocks set five minutes early so no one would arrive late. It also sends a bad message when outsiders see a Jets team that disintegrated under Bowles' watch last season, not just on the field.

But that's just about image, and Bowles clearly doesn't care about that. Behind the scenes he surely won't be so cavalier about players breaking rules. Even last year, as he seemed unconcerned publicly, he was a different man behind the scenes. A team source said Wilkerson and Richardson were fined "significant" amounts last season before they were benched for part of a game for their chronic lateness. Several players have said Bowles isn't as tolerant of that as he publicly seemed.

So hopefully his private message will continue to be different than his public one, because the Jets sure look like a team that needs more discipline - not less.

Jets Notebook Part II: Bowles discipline, Claiborne and more | SNY from Ralph Vacchiano’s Tweet 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

That was clear on Tuesday when Bowles made his strange, dismissive remarks about the chronic lateness of some of his players last season ("Sometimes you're late for work. Sometimes you're alarm clock's not going to go off."). The words, and his attitude, were not well received by anyone who thought the 53-year-old Bowles would suddenly crack down on his team.

Now some of that was surely Bowles' way of ramping down the criticism of those players - particularly Sheldon Richardson and Muhammed Wilkerson - as he continued to downplay last year's locker-room strife. Bowles is a former player, after all. He almost always publicly stands by his players' sides.

It's a bad look, though. In an era were coaches run teams with military-like discipline, it looks weak compared to teams like the Giants who have spent the last 13 seasons on "Coughlin Time" with their clocks set five minutes early so no one would arrive late. It also sends a bad message when outsiders see a Jets team that disintegrated under Bowles' watch last season, not just on the field.

But that's just about image, and Bowles clearly doesn't care about that. Behind the scenes he surely won't be so cavalier about players breaking rules. Even last year, as he seemed unconcerned publicly, he was a different man behind the scenes. A team source said Wilkerson and Richardson were fined "significant" amounts last season before they were benched for part of a game for their chronic lateness. Several players have said Bowles isn't as tolerant of that as he publicly seemed.

So hopefully his private message will continue to be different than his public one, because the Jets sure look like a team that needs more discipline - not less.

Jets Notebook Part II: Bowles discipline, Claiborne and more | SNY from Ralph Vacchiano’s Tweet 

That's basically it. Cimini said it too. It's about perception

On 3/29/2017 at 9:31 PM, T0mShane said:

Rex and then Herm will always be the worst Jets coaches of all time, but Bowles is really edging up toward knocking Kotite out of the #3 slot.

What in the great blue f***?  You have 2 coaches who had some actual success here over Kotite? Are you just fu**ing with us here with troll bait or what? 

And don't get me wrong I hated Herm and thought he was a total fraud as a coach, but he did have success and at the very least I can say he did have a solid foundation for leadership and inspired his team. And how is Rex the worst?  He did a good job overall, started red hot and burnt out, ultimately failed to step up and command both sides of the ball, and couldn't overcome a declining roster and a fractured QB. Herm and Rex had major warts for sure....but c'mon.

Archived