Players speak out against hard hitting rule

GREENBEAN

This is a short but decent article.

Enjoy

Great quote right here:

Steve Breaston

"Say it's third-and-15 and you go across the middle. As a defender, you try to dislodge that ball so he doesn't make the catch. Now, it's what, you let them catch it? You make the tackle, but they pick up the first down? I don't know."

We should really merge all these hits conversations. This is relative to the posts I was making about James Harrison...

5. Antrel Rolle

"It's fine for the offensive players but I'm on the defensive side of the ball. So are you telling me that now I have to slow down? I think we're already being cautious of what we're doing and how we're attacking the ball or how we're trying to make a tackle. I think that's absolutely ridiculous because under any circumstances you can't just absolutely have control over your body when you're pursuing a tackle.

"This is the game of football. This is a game of speed. This is a game of power. This is a game of physical guys going to battle. Once you start saying to guys 'You'll get suspended for a game,' that's when you're going to get a very, very tentative football game."

Harrison was saying the same thing, and if you've ever played, you'll agree. These plays are happening wayyy too fast to be that cautious. I'd even venture to argue if you start going into these plays more tentatively, that you are actually more prone to get hurt. But further, its a double standard. Offense can get away with face masks and helmet to helmet, but not defenders...sh*t aint right.

We should really merge all these hits conversations. This is relative to the posts I was making about James Harrison...

Harrison was saying the same thing, and if you've ever played, you'll agree. These plays are happening wayyy too fast to be that cautious. I'd even venture to argue if you start going into these plays more tentatively, that you are actually more prone to get hurt. But further, its a double standard. Offense can get away with face masks and helmet to helmet, but not defenders...sh*t aint right.

On the flip side Teddy Bruschi said that you can choose your target and as an NFL player you are athletic enough to do it on the fly.

He said if someone tells you otherwise they are lying.

Repped the post...and I agree with the bolded.

On the flip side Teddy Bruschi said that you can choose your target and as an NFL player you are athletic enough to do it on the fly.

He said if someone tells you otherwise they are lying.

Huh? This isnt making sense. Can you elaborate?

Huh? This isnt making sense. Can you elaborate?

On ESPN he was talking about it... he showed how himself (and others) target for a tackle... he said it is easy to adjust that "zone" that you aim for to be lower and avoid helmet-helmet hits. He said if a players claims they cannot adjust or it is "just the way they play" they are flat out lying.

Glad we have a bye this week. Get an idea of whats really going to happen.

I could not agree more. I was actually thinking the same thing. Let this all work itself out for a minute before Bart Scott crushes someone and gets suspended.

Friggin BullSh*t Rule!

The rule already existed, FYI.

OK...the idea of suspending guys for tackling too hard has to be handled extremely carefully, especially with all the ill will generated by the amendment or w/e you want to call it.

That said, leading with the helmet is retarded and there's better ways of going about tackling someone than that.

On ESPN he was talking about it... he showed how himself (and others) target for a tackle... he said it is easy to adjust that "zone" that you aim for to be lower and avoid helmet-helmet hits. He said if a players claims they cannot adjust or it is "just the way they play" they are flat out lying.

Bull sh*t. He's the liar.

There are so many factors that come into play he sounds like an idiot saying this. What if the ball was thrown high? What if the ball was thrown low? What if the player miss times his jump for a ball thrown high? What it if a player turns a direction to adjust for a ball in a direction you didnt expect? What if 2 players are coming into your zone at the same time? What if one of your teammates come hit him too and send him in a different direction ala Eric Smith on Bolden?

There are times when you can prevent it and there are times when you simply cant.

I could not agree more. I was actually thinking the same thing. Let this all work itself out for a minute before Bart Scott crushes someone and gets suspended.

Friggin BullSh*t Rule!

This week is going to be absolutely horrid. Guys playing on eggshells, possibly tearing muscles/ligaments trying to hold up, and Refs ( who already suck this year) being a bigger factor in the games than the players. Yeah, perfect week to not be playing.

Like I said in another thread, this is just for show. If I was a defensive player this weekend I'd go out and try and destroy anyone I could and I'd tell my teammates to do the same, then I'd watch Goodell try and suspend ten guys around the league on Monday for the same hits that the NFL perpetually uses in its ad campaigns. What a joke.

There are so many factors that come into play he sounds like an idiot saying this. What if the ball was thrown high? What if the ball was thrown low? What if the player miss times his jump for a ball thrown high? What it if a player turns a direction to adjust for a ball in a direction you didnt expect? What if 2 players are coming into your zone at the same time? What if one of your teammates come hit him too and send him in a different direction ala Eric Smith on Bolden?

There are times when you can prevent it and there are times when you simply cant.

Honestly I think this the most retarded thing I've ever heard. With the speed that games happen and depending on the type of player you are, you already have a guy lined up and your momentum is carrying you to that point. If you're going to go low, it's not like you can adjust and try and go higher if a guy is trying to jump over you. Some guys love to hit, they love contact so those guys will line up a big hit if possible, Sure, they may learn to line things up "lower" but what's to say as you said, a receiver tries to lower his pad level and ends up hitting head to head with a defender. The game is just too fast to truly adjust. The only emphasis a team can do now is to just get everyone to wrap up around the legs. And then you're going to get guys diving at knees and we're going to see knees and ankles shredded and then what?

I guess the players in the article were never tought to tackle with their arms and not with their heads.

Are you guys missing the point? This is not only about hitting with the head. It's called a devastating hit. If you crush someone with your shoulder pad but they get hurt, it's now cause for suspension.

This is a whole new deal than the helmet to helmet rule. The helmet to helmet rule already existed. This is completely different.

Like I said in another thread, this is just for show. If I was a defensive player this weekend I'd go out and try and destroy anyone I could and I'd tell my teammates to do the same, then I'd watch Goodell try and suspend ten guys around the league on Monday for the same hits that the NFL perpetually uses in its ad campaigns. What a joke.

I actually dislike the guy that said this because he never says much of anything that's worth anything, but Mark Schlereth made a funny comment "If I'm on defense i just tell my guys to play two hand touch".

Are you guys missing the point? This is not only about hitting with the head. It's called a devastating hit. If you crush someone with your shoulder pad but they get hurt, it's now cause for suspension.

This is a whole new deal than the helmet to helmet rule. The helmet to helmet rule already existed. This is completely different.

This is a devastating but not a helmet to helmet Hit!

This is now cause for suspension

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAR_zEvT7dM

Green, you're the one missing the point.

"Devastating hits" have not been outlawed.

ESPN and Mortenson was 100% wrong on this. NFL V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson made it abundantly clear that the rules as written are being enforced and NOT changed.

NFL V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson has spoken, and in so doing he apparently has contradicted his own words to ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

After creating on Monday night the clear impression that the rules regarding hits involving helmets will be changed dramatically, Anderson said on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike in the Morning, "We're not changing any rule." Instead, Anderson said that the league will be beefing up the enforcement of the existing rules.

"If there are flagrant and egregious violations of our current rules, we will be enforcing effective immediately discipline at a higher level," Anderson said. "We need to get our players firmly in line with the current rules, and that's what our intentions are, effective immediately."

But what about the widespread notion, pushed for the last 12 hours by ESPN, that "devastating hits" and "head shots" will be legislated out of the game?

Said Anderson: "I don't know where the word devastating came from but that's not my word."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/ray-anderson-says-enforcement-not-rules-will-change/

This is a devastating but not a helmet to helmet Hit!

This is now cause for suspension

The hit violated the current, and unchanged rules. Here is the rule according to PFT:

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 8(h) extends the protection to receivers who have not have time to protect themselves, prohibiting defenders from launching in a way that causes the defensive player's helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcible strike the head or neck area of a receiver, even if the initial contact was lower than the receiver's neck.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/20/helmet-to-helmet-10-pack/

Honestly I think this the most retarded thing I've ever heard. With the speed that games happen and depending on the type of player you are, you already have a guy lined up and your momentum is carrying you to that point. If you're going to go low, it's not like you can adjust and try and go higher if a guy is trying to jump over you. Some guys love to hit, they love contact so those guys will line up a big hit if possible, Sure, they may learn to line things up "lower" but what's to say as you said, a receiver tries to lower his pad level and ends up hitting head to head with a defender. The game is just too fast to truly adjust. The only emphasis a team can do now is to just get everyone to wrap up around the legs. And then you're going to get guys diving at knees and we're going to see knees and ankles shredded and then what?

Yep...I know the guy played in the pros, but he's a moron for saying this.

Conspiracy-wise, this could just be Goodell lubing the player's union up in anticipation of forcing the 18-game season down their throats. The leading argument against the extra two games was the inevitable increase in injuries that would result. Maybe Roger plans to throw this new, bullsh*t, faux concern for their safety back in their faces at the negotiating table when it comes up. Then, of course, when they get the 18 game schedule in place this rule goes away.

Green, you're the one missing the point.

"Devastating hits" have not been outlawed.

ESPN and Mortenson was 100% wrong on this. NFL V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson made it abundantly clear that the rules as written are being enforced and NOT changed.

Dunta Robinson got fined $50,000 for a good hard hit. What's up with that? next week he gets suspended for that one. No first time offense. Just suspension. they say It's only about enforcing the rule, but that's the problem. It's about an over sensitive League pressing refs into being afraid NOT to call this stuff. This is TERRIBLE News man. Read the fine print, not the headline.(generally speaking. Not directed to you)

The opening statement of the article said something like the guy went back on his original statement. Never a good sign.

Should they eliminate running into the kicker too if your teammate runs into you forcing you into the kicker?

There are always times when things cannot be prevented, but the majority of the time they can be and that is what you make a rule based on.

I am getting sick of these guys launching like seals in the air and hitting instead of TACKLING... you can tackle someone hard and force the drop instead of launching like a seal at them.

Dunta Robinson got fined $50,000 for a good hard hit. What's up with that? next week he gets suspended for that one. No first time offense. Just suspension. they say It's only about enforcing the rule, but that's the problem. It's about an over sensitive League pressing refs into being afraid NOT to call this stuff. This is TERRIBLE News man. Read the fine print, not the headline.(generally speaking. Not directed to you)

The opening statement of the article said something like the guy went back on his original statement. Never a good sign.

If he went to make a TACKLE instead and happened to nail him, he would be find. He obviously had no intention of tackling and only wanted to make a vicious hit.

It wasn't a good, hart hit. It was illegal under the rules that have been in place for some time now.

Robinson was penalized for the hit BEFORE the NFL came out and said that there will be more enforcement of the rules.

That said, I do agree that Anderson screwed up in saying something to Mort or allowing himself to get misquoted. The bottom line is that Robinson's hit was an illegal hit under longstanding rules. It was not all of a sudden made illegal by new rules or new interpretation.

It wasn't a good, hart hit. It was illegal under the rules that have been in place for some time now.

Robinson was penalized for the hit BEFORE the NFL came out and said that there will be more enforcement of the rules.

That said, I do agree that Anderson screwed up in saying something to Mort or allowing himself to get misquoted. The bottom line is that Robinson's hit was an illegal hit under longstanding rules. It was not all of a sudden made illegal by new rules or new interpretation.

Fair enough, but it's more about what the Refs are going to do now. The Refs thought it was a helmet to helmet hit similar to how they penalized Leonard. What is most likely going to happen is the Refs panties are going to be pulled even tighter and the penalties and suspensions will be more prevalent. The rule, which I have admittedly never seen, sucks anyway. helmet to helmet sure. hitting a guy in the chest with your shoulder pad at 100 miles per hour is football! And what every defensive player dreams about having the opportunity to do. To defend this over sensitivity, IMO, helping to soften the only hard sport out there that's not played on ice skates.

Exactly. Make them remove all devastating or "egregious" hits from their adds or commercials and take out those same players making said plays. See how easy it will be to market his league when he can no longer promote it with the same players he's trying to suspend.

This week is going to be absolutely horrid. Guys playing on eggshells, possibly tearing muscles/ligaments trying to hold up, and Refs ( who already suck this year) being a bigger factor in the games than the players. Yeah, perfect week to not be playing.

yep. This will be the end result. This is not a good day for football

Archived