Rob Ryan learns lesson... that Rex hasn't yet.

Integrity28

Rob Ryan on Wes Welker: “I’m afraid to comment”

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 14, 2011, 3:51 PM EDTrobryangetty.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan learned his lesson about giving bulletin-board material to opposing wide receivers when he opened his mouth about Calvin Johnson. So when asked about Sunday’s game against the Patriots and receiver Wes Welker, Ryan hesitated.

“I’m afraid to comment on wideouts,” Ryan told the Star-Telegram. “Apparently, I don’t know anything.”

Ryan said he still smarting over the reaction to his claim that the Cowboys practice against better receivers than Johnson every day — only to have Johnson score two fourth-quarter touchdowns against his defense and lead the Lions to a come-from-behind victory in Dallas.

“I’m taking a beating for that,” Ryan said. “I’m not going to compare anybody anymore, even though Dez Bryant did catch two TD passes, same as the other guy. But I’ve given that up.”

Ryan said he isn’t going to get into whether the Cowboys practice against better receivers than Welker, he’s just going to say his players have their hands full.

“All I know is this guy is great,” Ryan said of Welker. “He catches every pass. He’s leading the league in yardage, catches. He’s great in the red zone. He’s a great competitor. So I’ll leave it at that. I don’t know where he places anywhere else. I know one thing: He’s damn good, and he gets a million throws from Brady.”

Yep. All that talking is why the Jets lost to the Raiders, Ravens and Pats. Be honest, when have they been talking trash this season?

They really don't and they are quick to praise every opponent-the Jets NEVER say "we're gonna kick that team's a$$"

Yep. All that talking is why the Jets lost to the Raiders, Ravens and Pats. Be honest, when have they been talking trash this season?

Yeah, it's funny to hear people say that when the Jets have said next to nothing all season. Before the pre-season Rex said they were gonna win the SB, since then... nada.

Maybe the problem isn't too much talk, it's not having enough!

Also Rex's talk has never really been what I would consider trash talk, I.E., putting down the opposing team.

Welker is just good, especially in tandem with Brady. I think it's the intimate relationship they have both on and off the field. Wes knows exactly where Tommy is going to put it. And, conversely, Tom know exactly how Wes likes it. They do that on the field, too.

Dallas' Rob Ryan: Tom Brady best

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan vowed that he's done comparing players after saying two weeks ago that his defense practiced against two receivers who are better than Detroit's Calvin Johnson.

When discussing the quarterback he's preparing for, he said there is no comparison.

"You're talking about the best quarterback, in my opinion, that's ever played the game," Ryan said. "Hell, I know that. He's that good.

"You obviously have to attack the source of the passing game and he happens to be the best in the league here. Every ball is going to be on the money, every throw is going to be out of his hand quick and it's going to be to the right place. You have to be at your best."

Brady's statistics and accomplishments speak for themselves. He owns three Super Bowl rings, two NFL MVP awards, the single-season record for touchdown passes and is on pace this year to break the record for passing yards in a season.

Ryan, who was the Patriots' linebackers coach from 2000 to 2003, has similar respect for New England coach Bill Belichick.

"You can have Bill Parcells as a head coach and Vince Lombardi as a D-coordinator and Bill Walsh as the offensive coordinator and I think Belichick would beat them by two touchdowns if it came down to coaching," Ryan said. "It's going to come down to players and coaches and everything."

Ryan relishes the challenge of playing the Patriots, who on Sunday can match the NFL record for most consecutive regular-season games of at least 30 points scored.

The Patriots' streak started after the last time they faced a Rob Ryan defense. The Cleveland Browns got the best of Brady and Co. in a stunning 34-14 win last season.

Ryan's Dallas defense, which enters the game ranked second in the league, features more talent. He's eager to see how the Cowboys perform against the Patriots, who have the league's top-ranked offense.

"This is a fun week," said Ryan, who referred to the Patriots as the ultimate challenge. "Why is it fun? You're going against the best offense in football that runs the score up on people every week. Because I want our guys and me and our coaching staff -- headed by [defensive quality control coach] Ben Bloom, headed by [quality control coach] Dave Borgonzi -- to go down there and kick their a$$."

While Ryan had nothing but praise for the Patriots, he indicated that he had no regret about his remarks regarding Johnson, who scored the last two touchdowns during Detroit's come-from-behind win over Dallas. That prompted Detroit coach Jim Schwartz to open his postgame news conference with a sarcastic comment about being glad that the Cowboys' third-best receiver played for the Lions.

"I'm not going to compare anybody any more, even though Dez Bryant did catch two TD passes," Ryan said Friday. "So did the other guy. I've given that up. Hell, I've taken a beating for that."

Tim MacMahon covers the Cowboys for ESPNDallas.com.

Follow Tim MacMahon on Twitter: @espn_macmahon

Rex and the Jets have built up a reserve of trash talk and bulletin board material that teams have put in their spank banks if you will for the past 3 years... anyone that doesn't believe in the impact of giving an opponent bulletin board material, has not played organized sports... it is a real motivator, and while agree that pro's should be able to get themselves amped for a game because its their job, the notion has proven to be idealistic... making trash-talking more of an asset to opponents than those on the team doing the talking.

I would say, based purely on being an observer, that more teams look forward to shutting the Jets up... than the Jets players look forward to backing up the talk. Given the on-field results... case in point: "Can't wait!"

They may be twins, but can we please stop trying to compare Rex to Rob? It's obvious that Rex is the much better football coach when compared to his twin brother Rob. Rob Ryan could only dream of having as much success as Rex Ryan has had thus far.

Wake me up when Rob Ryan leads his defense to consecutive trips to the AFC/NFC Championship Game. Better yet, wake me up when Rob Ryan becomes an NFL head coach.

Rex and the Jets have built up a reserve of trash talk and bulletin board material that teams have put in their spank banks if you will for the past 3 years... anyone that doesn't believe in the impact of giving an opponent bulletin board material, has not played organized sports... it is a real motivator, and while agree that pro's should be able to get themselves amped for a game because its their job, the notion has proven to be idealistic... making trash-talking more of an asset to opponents than those on the team doing the talking.

I would say, based purely on being an observer, that more teams look forward to shutting the Jets up... than the Jets players look forward to backing up the talk. Given the on-field results... case in point: "Can't wait!"

LOL at bulletin board. So, this year the Jets are losing because of the reserve of trash talk they built up while talking sh*t last year? Last year, when they were kicking asses nobody was bothering with them because 2009 and 2010 didn't build up a reserve of trash talk from the Mangini era? They are losing because they are playing sh*tty. They aren't talking (about the other teams) because they are playing sh*tty. If you think the talk means something then why have all the opponents spoke about the Jets very respectfully so far this season?

The Jets have talked since day 1 of the Rex era dating back to 2009. We've been to the AFC Championship during consecutive seasons for the first time in franchise history. Rex Ryan came in trash talking. He made it known that we wouldn't kiss Belichick's rings. That was "bulletin board material" for Belly and the Patriots to work with, still doesn't change the fact that we eliminated NE from the playoffs last year; while talking at the same time.

Keep talking Jets, just make sure we're focused come gametime.

Welker is just good, especially in tandem with Brady. I think it's the intimate relationship they have both on and off the field. Wes knows exactly where Tommy is going to put it. And, conversely, Tom know exactly how Wes likes it. They do that on the field, too.

I C what U did. LOL

LOL at bulletin board. So, this year the Jets are losing because of the reserve of trash talk they built up while talking sh*t last year? Last year, when they were kicking asses nobody was bothering with them because 2009 and 2010 didn't build up a reserve of trash talk from the Mangini era? They are losing because they are playing sh*tty. They aren't talking (about the other teams) because they are playing sh*tty. If you think the talk means something then why have all the opponents spoke about the Jets very respectfully so far this season?

Sigh.

I know they are losing for playing sh*tty. I've never been a supporter of the bullsh*t trash talk, I go back to year one of Rex not liking it - but forgiving it because it seemed to get results.

This isn't really a point worthy of debate.

The Jets have talked since day 1 of the Rex era dating back to 2009. We've been to the AFC Championship during consecutive seasons for the first time in franchise history. Rex Ryan came in trash talking. He made it known that we wouldn't kiss Belichick's rings. That was "bulletin board material" for Belly and the Patriots to work with, still doesn't change the fact that we eliminated NE from the playoffs last year; while talking at the same time.

Keep talking Jets, just make sure we're focused come gametime.

And trash talking made how many tackles? Sacks?

To think trash talk had anything to do with your success is ridiculous. It is about execution.

If you need to talk trash to get up for the game then there is something wrong in that players head or a general lack of skill.

Talking trash will not cure it.

If any of you are like me and have trouble telling the Ryan brothers apart, here's the way I do it:

Rex is the HEAD coach.

Rob is the ASSISTANT coach.

I could come up with many reasons why Rob says less...and none of it has to do with Rex's skill as a coach.

-First, Rob has to deal with 100 political issues on a team that sucks a$$ regardless of his defense's quality.

-Rob is commenting on a player/team not in his division.

-Rob is an assistant. Even if he wants to shoot from the hip, he's smart not to do it.

Sigh.

I know they are losing for playing sh*tty. I've never been a supporter of the bullsh*t trash talk, I go back to year one of Rex not liking it - but forgiving it because it seemed to get results.

This isn't really a point worthy of debate.

I'm not disputing whether the trash talk "works" or not. I am saying that they aren't talking this year, but the whole point of this thread is that Rex somehow didn't learn his lesson. All he said this season was that they were going to win the super bowl. He says that is his goal every year. Sure it's a little hokey and lame, but it has nothing to do with any teams shooting for the Jets. Neither does any built up animosity over the trash talk in the past.

Archived