Whats Mark Sanchez most impressive Stat?

villain_the_foe

You guys know that I usually stick to making threads in the lounge area putting my aluminum hat to work but the latest negative comments on Sanchez by fans of other teams got me here needing to set the record straight.

Let me start by presenting all of the countering evidences whether true, untrue, sought or unsought. I'll start off with my new favorite.

#1. Mark Sanchez is in a 3 year sophomore slump. (Pats fans....)

#2. Mark Sanchez is a bust draft pick.

#3. Mark Sanchez is at best "average".

#4. Mark Sanchez is a INT machine....etc, etc, etc.

The one stat that no one can take away from Sanchez during his "3 year sophomore slump" is the 1 stat that is the most important stat of any QB period. That is...

Mark Sanchez wins BIG games. When we need a football game Mark Sanchez goes out and delivers. This is something that can easily make up for is individual statistical averages as a QB. The name of the game is to win.

Let me give you some Sanchez stats from last weeks game. Sanchez went 18-33 for 176 yards against the Chargers. He threw 54% for the game. This isnt highly impressive stats right? This is pretty much his career average completion wise. Now check this out.

Sanchez went 8 for 13 on 3rd down. He converted 3rd down over 61% of the time. In otherwords, when we needed to continue a drive Sanchez delivered.

Sanchez threw for 3 TD's in this game as well, which meant that he threw a TD every 6 completions. Not bad for a bust draft pick.

Now, Go take a look at the "very impressive to jaw dropping" individual stats of QB's considered "Elite" like ahhhhh, Philip Rivers, Peyton Manning, Matt Schaub, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Michael Vick, Josh Freeman (Freeman's not considered Elite but many have praised him as being the best QB in his class, and truth be told...he's a baller).

Now after doing that let me provide you with this rude awakening. Mark Sanchez, in only his "3rd sophomore slump year" has more playoff wins than every QB on this list minus the "playoff underachiever" Mr. Peyton Manning (7 playoff wins) who by the way is in his 14th year! Sanchez has 2 years under his belt and has been to 2 AFC championship games (while Peyton has been in 3), while doing it all on the road and in just 2 years is tied for the most playoff wins by a QB EVER on the road. Peyton consistently has home field advantage in the playoffs and gets handed a loss year in and year out and he's considered one of the best to ever suit up...which I'll even agree with that as an "individual achiever".

Sanchez, though not being the most gifted QB in the league does have the uncanny ability to step up to the plate during big games and produce (which IS a gift). Now im not saying that he singlehandedly wins these games. What im saying is that he doesnt "lose" these games. He converts on 3rd down. He throws for TD's (ask the patriots.....CANT WAIT!)

My point is this, one can hate all they like on Sanchez, but when its a "must win" game, Sanchez is an ELITE QB in this league. And for any Pats fan who disagree let me leave you with a stat and a video. And after the vid, go speak to a Charger, Colts or Bengal fan about Mark Sanchez....and their response will sound like the way this video looks.

Jets Vs. Pats 2011 Divisional Playoff

Mark Sanchez 16 for 25 194 yards 3TD's and 0 picks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q79rR_oDiKo

Stop picking on my QB. Dude is a BEAST when it counts, and thats the most important and impressive stat! "

"TO ALL THE NON-BELIEVERS!"-Bart Scott.

The bright side: I think you could put his 6 playoff games up against virtually any 6 of his career regular season games, indicating that he really does "step up" in the playoffs - nice to know.

The down side: Other than the playoffs, I'm skeptical about using this as a way to determine how good a quarterback is. If you win 10-7 because you added a touchdown with 1 min left in the 4th quarter, then, yeah, you stepped up when it mattered and made the clutch plays. But, where were you for the first 58 minutes of the game? It's only the defense that saved you.

I like Sanchez, I think he's our franchise QB. But I'm not giving him credit for being "clutch" when he only shows up to play for a handful of drives.

The bright side: I think you could put his 6 playoff games up against virtually any 6 of his career regular season games, indicating that he really does "step up" in the playoffs - nice to know.

The down side: Other than the playoffs, I'm skeptical about using this as a way to determine how good a quarterback is. If you win 10-7 because you added a touchdown with 1 min left in the 4th quarter, then, yeah, you stepped up when it mattered and made the clutch plays. But, where were you for the first 58 minutes of the game? It's only the defense that saved you.

I like Sanchez, I think he's our franchise QB. But I'm not giving him credit for being "clutch" when he only shows up to play for a handful of drives.

You're not going to give him credit for being "clutch". Thats cool.

I'd rather have the QB that can get in done in the last 2 minutes of the 4th qtr 10-7 and be considered saved by the defense (though it was the QB on the field the last 2 mins down by 4) so he can then return the favor in the playoffs than to have a QB thats lights-out for 60 minutes in the regular season but when up against playoff teams cant come through in the last 2 minutes when the defense needs him.

I'll take the QB that can win when it count than the QB who can put up a 14-2 reg. season record only to get bounced out of the playoffs in the first game. I'd rather take a QB who can have two "3 game losing streaks" in the reg. season and then go on a mean playoff run than a team that wins their last 11 reg. season games just to lose to the team that had two "3 game losing streaks" in the same season.

I'll take the QB who relies on his Defense in the regular season and rewards them by his big time performance in the playoffs rather than having possibly the greatest QB to ever play the game and watch him get scrapped time and time again at home with a playoff bye in a divisional game.

Trust me, your brightside/downside points are very valid, and it would be nice to have a QB who makes it look all exciting and puts up alot of points so I can beat my chest and talk about how potent my team offense is......but for that chest beating of mine to turn into stomach pains because this potent offense just lost to some alleged slapdick bust QB who for some reason seems to get it together in the last 2 mins of the playoffs would be a waste and embarrassment. If I wanted those stomach pains and loss of appetite I'd become a Pats fan.

I'm giving him credit for what Mark does......and he wins big games when we need him to.

In those six playoff games that everybody likes to drool over, the Jets only scored 20 or more points in two of them.

The defense is "clutch."

The defense "won" four playoff road games.

But, sure, I'll give Mark credit for not losing those games.

Otherwise, wake me up when he throws the team on his shoulders--when his D is scuffling and the running game can't get going--and carries the team to a victory.

I those sic playoff games that everybody likes to drool over, the Jets only scored 20 or more points in two of them.

The defense is "clutch."

Otherwise, wake me up when he throws the team on his shoulders--when his D is scuffling and the running game can't get going--and carries the team to a victory.

The defense was clutch in doing what it does and Sanchez was clutch at complimenting that.

This defense is supposed to hold teams to less than 21 points period. When the Defense did that the Jets offense scored more than the opposing team 100% of the time. When the defense didnt do their Job the Jets are 1-3 in the playoffs. You've made a very good point here.

However, if all credit goes to the defense then they should take fault for the losses too especially since we're talking about a QB who was in his rookie and 2nd year of the pros right? We're having this discussion about a QB who technically isnt even a vet.

And again, this "wake me up when Sanchez throws for 4 TD's and 450 yards" type attitude when it comes to what "clutch" means is missing the target imo. Sanchez in the playoffs gives enough offense to win a football game. The Jets defense gives enough defense to win a football game. The reason why Sanchez is clutch is that he's able to perform under pressure. He can throw 5 picks in a regular season game have a shaky reg. season and when it comes to playoff games dude is sturdy and dependable. Not to mention that he cant really take over a game with Schotty calling the plays...and I can prove it. Last year when the Jets were down against the Colts and Schotty was calling his usual sh*t plays, Braylon and Sanchez both told him that they didnt like the play call and Schotty told them to run a play that they wanted. It was 3rd and long and we NEEDED this conversion.....Sanchez and braylon came up with the play and it was successful. Though your info provided isnt inaccurate, having Schotty as the O.C. is almost like playing with one arm. He's a limitation to this offense.

For a young Franchise QB to start out his first two years like that imo is something to drool over because it shows consistency in that area, and no matter how anyone puts it, for a young QB in town like NY thats BIG....especially when we come from the Chad "Mr. Intangibles" Pennington who was pretty solid as a player in the reg season yet found ways time and time again to lose playoffs games (except against the best QB ever Peyton Manning 41-0!).

The defense was clutch in doing what it does and Sanchez was clutch at complimenting that.

This defense is supposed to hold teams to less than 21 points period. When the Defense did that the Jets offense scored more than the opposing team 100% of the time. When the defense didnt do their Job the Jets are 1-3 in the playoffs. You've made a very good point here.

However, if all credit goes to the defense then they should take fault for the losses too especially since we're talking about a QB who was in his rookie and 2nd year of the pros right? We're having this discussion about a QB who technically isnt even a vet.

And again, this "wake me up when Sanchez throws for 4 TD's and 450 yards" type attitude when it comes to what "clutch" means is missing the target imo. Sanchez in the playoffs gives enough offense to win a football game. The Jets defense gives enough defense to win a football game. The reason why Sanchez is clutch is that he's able to perform under pressure. He can throw 5 picks in a regular season game have a shaky reg. season and when it comes to playoff games dude is sturdy and dependable. Not to mention that he cant really take over a game with Schotty calling the plays...and I can prove it. Last year when the Jets were down against the Colts and Schotty was calling his usual sh*t plays, Braylon and Sanchez both told him that they didnt like the play call and Schotty told them to run a play that they wanted. It was 3rd and long and we NEEDED this conversion.....Sanchez and braylon came up with the play and it was successful. Though your info provided isnt inaccurate, having Schotty as the O.C. is almost like playing with one arm. He's a limitation to this offense.

For a young Franchise QB to start out his first two years like that imo is something to drool over because it shows consistency in that area, and no matter how anyone puts it, for a young QB in town like NY thats BIG....especially when we come from the Chad "Mr. Intangibles" Pennington who was pretty solid as a player in the reg season yet found ways time and time again to lose playoffs games (except against the best QB ever Peyton Manning 41-0!).

This is a great post. Agreed on many points. However, my "wake me up when he carries the team..." comment wasn't in reference to him putting up huge numbers, necessarily. It was just to point out how absolutely insulated Sanchez is and how relatively little is asked of him. You can be a chubby chick and blow the Prom King at a party, but that don't necessarily make you Prom Queen.

Couldn't you say that about anyone though?

Remember how the announcers all used to fall over themselves to praise Marino and his 31 fourth quarter comeback victories? How come you never heard anyone screaming about how 31 times in his career Marino was so bad for three quarters that he needed to be damn near perfect in the fourth quarter to pull off a win?

If a guy gets lucky like Tebow and pulls a game out of his a$$ in the final minutes against the league's worst defense it can easily be written off as an anomaly. But when a guy repeatedly shows a penchant for bringing his team back it's more than just luck.

And the Jets weren't really in a hole Sunday because of Sanchez. They were in a hole because of Dustin Keller's inability to hold on to the football and the defense not playing great early in the game.

My favorite part about that game was how the Jets never appeared panicked or nervous. I always had the feeling they were going to come back and win. The reason for that is because I've seen it so often since Ryan and Sanchez arrived.

Couldn't you say that about anyone though?

Remember how the announcers all used to fall over themselves to praise Marino and his 31 fourth quarter comeback victories? How come you never heard anyone screaming about how 31 times in his career Marino was so bad for three quarters that he needed to be damn near perfect in the fourth quarter to pull off a win?

lol... comparing marino to sanchez now.. I don't ever marino looking as bad as Sanchez regularly looks

If a guy gets lucky like Tebow and pulls a game out of his a$$ in the final minutes against the league's worst defense it can easily be written off as an anomaly. But when a guy repeatedly shows a penchant for bringing his team back it's more than just luck.

it's amazing that when this very same topic is discussed about brady you take the complete opposite stance

I those sic playoff games that everybody likes to drool over, the Jets only scored 20 or more points in two of them.

The defense is "clutch."

That's the new criteria?

The defense was certainly clutch when they allowed manning to drive down the field late and kick what seemed to be the game winning fg.

lol... comparing marino to sanchez now.. I don't ever marino looking as bad as Sanchez regularly looks

it's amazing that when this very same topic is discussed about brady you take the complete opposite stance

Marino looked great while throwing 6 picks in his last game, steller!

Who was comparing?

I was pointing out how silly it is to say that one guy, who led his team to 31 fourth quarter comebacks over 17 years, is considered clutch, while another guy, who's led his team to 8 or 9 fourth quarter comeback less than 2 and a half years into his career, is a lucky bum who plays like sh*t for three quarters.

The Jets weren't in a hole in all of those games because of Sanchez, asshead.

Who was comparing?

I was pointing out how silly it is to say that one guy, who led his team to 31 fourth quarter comebacks over 17 years, is considered clutch, while another guy, who's led his team to 8 or 9 fourth quarter comeback less than 2 and a half years into his career, is a lucky bum who plays like sh*t for three quarters.

The Jets weren't in a hole in all of those games because of Sanchez, asshead.

true... going three and out on offense repeatedly really has no effect on the scoreboard

If you throw out Marino losing in the playoffs 62-7,17-3,38-3, you would be correct.. :winking0001:

My favorite part about that game was how the Jets never appeared panicked or nervous. I always had the feeling they were going to come back and win. The reason for that is because I've seen it so often since Ryan and Sanchez arrived.

These arguments that he's elite, great, good for whatever reason based on a stat that one person thinks is super important and means he's one of those compliments are getting old and redundant. Its like groundhogs day around here...but look at his 4th quarter comebacks!!!! Look at his playoff games!!! Cool. He's still wildly inconsistent and does a lot of head scratching sh*t that really could have prevented us from ever getting to the playoffs in the first place, but I digress.

However, this is what I like about the kid. He's pretty cool and collected in the face of adversity. While I like to be knee jerk and doom gloom during the game, its typically more of the old reverse jinx thing going on. The reality is, I'm have a lot of confidence in Mark and the defense, getting us back in the game. Obviously, Mark should get kudos for this but just as many of those comebacks were sparked by a nice defensive stand or a turnover, etc. But as Jets fan, I've never had a QB that I felt confident could bring us back and snatch a victory from the jaws fo defeat. Ever. Mark's changed that feeling.

Those numbers must not compute, for math wiz's.

What computes? It's comical that anyone whose seen both play would compare sanchez favorably in anyway .. Marino went to a sb in his seCond year and lost which trumps what U guys are touting ... Not to mention that Marino played in a completely differrent era where rules weren't invented/enforced to make passing prolific.. Sanchez iz a festering pile if burro sh*t compared to Marino

What computes? It's comical that anyone whose seen both play would compare Sanchez favorably in anyway .. Marino went to a sb in his seCond year and lost which trumps what U guys are touting ... Not to mention that Marino played in a completely differed era where rules weren't invented/enforced to make passing prolific.. Sanchez iz a festering pile if burro sh*t compared to Marino

They both have 0 rings, the only difference that matters is that Sanchez still has a shot at one, and is sexier.

Compute it!

These arguments that he's elite, great, good for whatever reason based on a stat that one person thinks is super important and means he's one of those compliments are getting old and redundant. Its like groundhogs day around here...but look at his 4th quarter comebacks!!!! Look at his playoff games!!! Cool. He's still wildly inconsistent and does a lot of head scratching sh*t that really could have prevented us from ever getting to the playoffs in the first place, but I digress.

However, this is what I like about the kid. He's pretty cool and collected in the face of adversity. While I like to be knee jerk and doom gloom during the game, its typically more of the old reverse jinx thing going on. The reality is, I'm have a lot of confidence in Mark and the defense, getting us back in the game. Obviously, Mark should get kudos for this but just as many of those comebacks were sparked by a nice defensive stand or a turnover, etc. But as Jets fan, I've never had a QB that I felt confident could bring us back and snatch a victory from the jaws fo defeat. Ever. Mark's changed that feeling.

If this post was made into a movie, it would star Shirley Maclaine

In those six playoff games that everybody likes to drool over, the Jets only scored 20 or more points in two of them.

The defense is "clutch."

It's a fair point, but it's still a nice trait for a QB to have, even if he's not winning the games by himself. Let's be honest, there are plenty of QBs in this league who have found themselves in the same exact position as Sanchez was in those games, only to miserably choke it away. *cough*ChadPennington*cough*. Doesn't make him great, but it's still a disappointingly uncommon trait these days to see a QB step up his game in those spots.

As far as what you're talking about, the only game that probably really qualifies in that regard would be last year's Texans game. The defense completely sh*t itself in the fourth quarter and the running game was non-exsitant all game. That win was nothing but Sanchez, Edwards and Holmes.

All the analysis is correct but let us not forget this is only his 4th year as a starting QB since high school. Mark is not a finished product he is still in the "polishing stage". What has he shown? He is best under pressure when the chips are stacked against him which shows he can and does react well under pressure when there is little time to think. When the pressure is not on and he thinks rather than reacts he sometimes gets into trouble.

As time goes on the thinking becomes secondary and he will rely on the experience and instincts acquired. He is a QB who, I believe can reach the "elite status". Whether that will be this year, next or the year after, only time will tell.

It's a fair point, but it's still a nice trait for a QB to have, even if he's not winning the games by himself. Let's be honest, there are plenty of QBs in this league who have found themselves in the same exact position as Sanchez was in those games, only to miserably choke it away. *cough*ChadPennington*cough*. Doesn't make him great, but it's still a disappointingly uncommon trait these days to see a QB step up his game in those spots.

As far as what you're talking about, the only game that probably really qualifies in that regard would be last year's Texans game. The defense completely sh*t itself in the fourth quarter and the running game was non-exsitant all game. That win was nothing but Sanchez, Edwards and Holmes.

Word. Definitely a great trait. He's like the reverse Matt Schaub.

The most gratifying stat this season is that Mark has missed 0 games due to injury with the way the O-Line started the season (we can thank the lockout for no minicamps, OTAs, 2-a-days, etc). Thankfully the linemen have significantly improved their play in the last 2-3 games...especially Wayne "Beaten like a drum" Hunter. Nick is back and Hunter has been playing very, very well, so now the running game and play action can be a factor in our offense.

With that being said, IMHO, the O-Line is the main reason we haven't seen the maturation of Sanchez in year 3. I truly believe we will see that maturation from now til season's end -- as long as the linemen continue to play well.

Archived