Did we extend Schotty into 2012?

Integrity28

My buddy said he read somewhere that we just extended him into 2012... really?

Sorry, but your buddy is an idiot if he thinks the Jets extended Schitty into the YEAR 2012.

This was the last year of his contract. So his contract automatically goes into 2012 calendar year. Hard to extend him in a year that his old contract already covers.

The Jets gave him an extra yr on his contract so he is with the Jets for the 2012 season, which ends in the YEAR 2013.

Sorry, but your buddy is an idiot if he thinks the Jets extended Schitty into the YEAR 2012.

This was the last year of his contract. So his contract automatically goes into 2012 calendar year. Hard to extend him in a year that his old contract already covers.

The Jets gave him an extra yr on his contract so he is with the Jets for the 2012 season, which ends in the YEAR 2013.

I don't think calling my friend an idiot was necessary. I'm assuming he misread a headline. He doesn't waste his time toiling over every little detail, of every little bit of Jets news the way some of us do... he just said he saw it somewhere, and I was asking here to find out what he was talking about.

I don't think calling my friend an idiot was necessary. I'm assuming he misread a headline. He doesn't waste his time toiling over every little detail, of every little bit of Jets news the way some of us do... he just said he saw it somewhere, and I was asking here to find out what he was talking about.

He didn't misread a headline. He just reached a dumb conclusion.

Don't sweat it; I have dumb friends too. :D

He didn't misread a headline. He just reached a dumb conclusion.

Don't sweat it; I have dumb friends too. :biggrin:

Well, when I told him I can't imagine a scenario where the Jets would extend him - he said "the headline said so".

So I'm guessing the headline for whatever he was skimming had the word "extend" in it.

Anyway, whatever.

He just reached a dumb conclusion.

I guess I did too, then, because I didn't see any particular reason to infer that 2012 in the OP referred to the calendar year and not the season. Way to stick to your guns though. I'm sure this'll go great.

I can't believe I bothered with this, but I just texted him to find out where he read this - he said cbssports. I googled and found this from 3 days ago, I'm assuming its what he saw.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/16241473/jets-give-oc-schottenheimer-extension

Saturday November 26, 2011 - 2:04 AM

Jets extend Schottenheimer's deal

CBSSports.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- The New York Jets extended the contracts of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine during the offseason, according to a report by ESPNNewYork.com.

Terms of the extensions were not disclosed, but they go through at least next season.

Both coaches have come under scrutiny during the team's 5-5 season, and Schottenheimer has been a particular topic of conversation with the receiving crew reportedly unhappy with his play-calling. Derrick Mason's public issues with Schottenheimer earlier this season reportedly led to his trade to the Houston Texans.

The Jets' offense was ranked 22nd in the league entering Week 12.

Yup. I can see why he'd be so dumb as misinterpret this.

Well, when I told him I can't imagine a scenario where the Jets would extend him - he said "the headline said so".

So I'm guessing the headline for whatever he was skimming had the word "extend" in it.

Anyway, whatever.

They did extend him into the 2012 season.

I can't believe I bothered with this, but I just texted him to find out where he read this - he said cbssports. I googled and found this from 3 days ago, I'm assuming its what he saw.

http://www.cbssports...eimer-extension

Yup. I can see why he'd be so dumb as misinterpret this.

You're a good friend, Ape. I was only busting your chops, but you've gone BFF in his defense.

I'm just assuming they did this so that they could have the joy of actually firing him, as opposed to just letting his contract expire.

Although in all seriousness, while the extension was clearly to keep him from entering the last year of his contract, it's hardly a ringing endorsement that they gave him only one year.

I guess I did too, then, because I didn't see any particular reason to infer that 2012 in the OP referred to the calendar year and not the season. Way to stick to your guns though. I'm sure this'll go great.

You reach a lot of dumb conclusions, but that's ok. It's likely a computer malfunction. Just don't start killing crewmen because of it.

I'm just assuming they did this so that they could have the joy of actually firing him, as opposed to just letting his contract expire.

Although in all seriousness, while the extension was clearly to keep him from entering the last year of his contract, it's hardly a ringing endorsement that they gave him only one year.

If they gave him a contract, they don't plan on firing him (at least at the time of the extension). The Jets would b on the hook for that salary, even if they fire him.

If they gave him a contract, they don't plan on firing him (at least at the time of the extension). The Jets would b on the hook for that salary, even if they fire him.

For 1 yr only if they fire him after this season.

@Ape--QUESTION. When you wrote "just" in the OP, did you mean it temporaly as in "it just happened" or as in "only"?

if the Jets make the playoffs that will be 3 years in a row

not usually a time to fire coaches.

Jets fans are ignoring the fact that Rex like Schotty and will most likely let him coach here as long as he wants. Both are sons of head coaches and there's a bond there. schotty won't get fired. He eventually will leave but it won't be Rex doing the firing.

also should be noted Rex has no offensive guys to bring in. He doesn't know jack squat about offense. It would essentially be an open audition. It's not like there's some great OC waiting to hear from Rex. all of Rex's buddies are linebacker coaches and what not. that's kinda why Schotty never got fired after Mangini.

So in conclusion we can start a fire schotty thread every day, it doesn't really matter to Rex. Especially if they keep making the playoffs.

Jets fans are ignoring the fact that Rex like Schotty and will most likely let him coach here as long as he wants. Both are sons of head coaches and there's a bond there. schotty won't get fired. He eventually will leave but it won't be Rex doing the firing.

also should be noted Rex has no offensive guys to bring in. He doesn't know jack squat about offense. It would essentially be an open audition. It's not like there's some great OC waiting to hear from Rex. all of Rex's buddies are linebacker coaches and what not. that's kinda why Schotty never got fired after Mangini.

So in conclusion we can start a fire schotty thread every day, it doesn't really matter to Rex. Especially if they keep making the playoffs.

Yup hard to disagree with that logic.

Coaches, quarterbacks and O Coordinators are the easy attacks of fans of teams that don't win a Super Bowl.

Find a team that has not won a Super Bowl in the last 5 years, and part of the fan base is focused on one or all of those positions as the primary reason. It comes with the territory.

If Rex does not win it within the next 2 years, the focus will be on him.

Point being, you don't give extensions to people you plan on firing. That does not mean it can't happen though.

True, but the Jets had no plans to fire Schitty this season. That doesn't mean they lack plans to fire Schitty before next season.

Yup hard to disagree with that logic.

If that's the basis for Rex's decision-making it will only be a matter of time before Schotty's Jets tenure ends along with Rex's. This team is getting worse and Rex is going to need to be able to move on from some of his best buddies, whether it be Schotty, Sanchez, Scott, Leonhard, etc.

Point being, you don't give extensions to people you plan on firing. That does not mean it can't happen though.

Agreed, my original point of him being extended was obviously not meant to be taken seriously. If the Jets were planning on firing him going back to last offseason, they would have done it then. Clearly they didn't want him being a lame duck and going into the last year of his contract, but I still do maintain that given they only gave him a one-year extension, that's hardly a ringing endorsement of his long-term prospects with the team. Of course none of this says anything about whether or not he'll actually be fired this coming offseason, it just means they weren't ready to do it last offseason, and weren't dead set on this being his last year with the team either.

Agreed, my original point of him being extended was obviously not meant to be taken seriously. If the Jets were planning on firing him going back to last offseason, they would have done it then. Clearly they didn't want him being a lame duck and going into the last year of his contract, but I still do maintain that given they only gave him a one-year extension, that's hardly a ringing endorsement of his long-term prospects with the team. Of course none of this says anything about whether or not he'll actually be fired this coming offseason, it just means they weren't ready to do it last offseason, and weren't dead set on this being his last year with the team either.

Agreed. However I don't see how the offense's performance this year hasn't solidified his fate. Unless the Jets go deep in the playoffs, I don't see how they keep him next year.

The defense has regressed, but they've gone from excellent to so-so. The offense has gone from mediocre to horrendous. We can blame Sanchez, and he certainly deserves some blame, but the organization will give up on Schottenheimer before giving up on him.

Agreed. However I don't see how the offense's performance this year hasn't solidified his fate. Unless the Jets go deep in the playoffs, I don't see how they keep him next year.

The defense has regressed, but they've gone from excellent to so-so. The offense has gone from mediocre to horrendous. We can blame Sanchez, and he certainly deserves some blame, but the organization will give up on Schottenheimer before giving up on him.

Not that he deserves to, but if the Jets make it to the playoffs, Schotty will be back next season.

If they fired him, I don't think he'd be on the market long enough for the Jets to have to honor the contract anyway. That is how it works, right? New employment elsewhere = rip up old contract. I'm thinking this is more and more like removing that lame duck status as previously mentioned.

If they fired him, I don't think he'd be on the market long enough for the Jets to have to honor the contract anyway. That is how it works, right? New employment elsewhere = rip up old contract. I'm thinking this is more and more like removing that lame duck status as previously mentioned.

Don't think that's how it works with coaches. I remember that OC we had some years ago who wanted out but wouldn't quit because he wanted to get paid , and get a new contract.

Not sure but I think if he's fired they must pay him.

I agree. Some one will hire him in about 10 seconds

Archived