Has "The Formula" worked before?

ZachEY

Rutgers --- Not everyone sucks man wonder if people were saying Jim Plunket sucked before he won his SB after being labeled a total bust in NE. Its obvious Cutler is loaded with talent the question is can he turn that into a SB

This makes no sense. You're arguing potential over results for a 28-year-old in his 6th season. His conventional numbers are unimpressively pedestrian. Efficiency numbers are pathetic. Actually watching him play doesn't do much to give the impression that maybe the numbers aren't telling the whole story.

But hey, he has a wicked strong arm, that excuses everything.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, I've watched him enough to see he's definitely not Sanchez. He does things, in the pocket, with his arm, that Sanchez will never be able to do. That and he throws to a bunch of Jags.

I'll take him 100x over Sanchez and never think twice about it.

Sure he does. He has a strong arm, and that's about it. I'm not even sure what the rest means. So would every single person with a brain. What's your point? One's less retarded than another. Almost no measure of anything puts Cutler above ranging between awful and slightly below average.

True, but it's far less absurd to argue the relative worth of Jay Cutler before and after than it is to suggest that it even merits discussion as a fit to "the formula".

No no, please, as someone who gets forced into the local sh*t and has to sit through Nuke on a weekly basis, let's discuss the relative worth of Jay Cutler. Please, let's.

So, still, this season moving from 23 to 20 is the best example we've got.

Is there anything else?

I remember lots of times people predicted this would happen, but never actually happening..

Heck HeimerDinger was going to get out of Chad's way and allow him to ascend to his rightful place at the top of the QB pile, cause it was Hackett that made him so conservative.. Carr in Texas was going to benefit from new OC, Alex Smith was going to benefit from Martz, Bradford from Josh McDaniels, etc..

Same old same old, some people <3 their QB's and don't learn that the coordinator isn't nearly as responsible for the QB's success then the QB himself, and the Oline, and the WR's and the RB's...

Cutlers last year in Denver "his so called great year" 25 TD 18 INT (2008) hardly a great year and very erratic. AND he could not keep his mouth shut which is not good for a QB representing an organization unfortunately it comes with the position.

Also Martz came into Chicago when Cutler had already been there for a year so I guess I was not far off. This year Cutler started playing well with a year under his belt in Martz System and was on pace to throw much less INT's than in previous years currenty has 7. yes less TD's (13) as well but his team was winning games.

I remember lots of times people predicted this would happen, but never actually happening..

Heck HeimerDinger was going to get out of Chad's way and allow him to ascend to his rightful place at the top of the QB pile, cause it was Hackett that made him so conservative.. Carr in Texas was going to benefit from new OC, Alex Smith was going to benefit from Martz, Bradford from Josh McDaniels, etc..

Same old same old, some people <3 their QB's and don't learn that the coordinator isn't nearly as responsible for the QB's success then the QB himself, and the Oline, and the WR's and the RB's...

Wow. It's almost as if that might have been my point.

This makes no sense. You're arguing potential over results for a 28-year-old in his 6th season. His conventional numbers are unimpressively pedestrian. Efficiency numbers are pathetic. Actually watching him play doesn't do much to give the impression that maybe the numbers aren't telling the whole story.

But hey, he has a wicked strong arm, that excuses everything.

What Im saying is he has done better under Martz and was continuing to do well this year.

What we have seen with the Jets is the exact opposite, though.

Favre comes to Jets and has a mediocre season between good ones in GB and Minny. Pennington leaves Schottenheimer and has his best year since 2002.

So while changing coordinators might not be a panacea for Sanchez, it really probably won't hurt.

Favre comes to Jets and has a mediocre season between good ones in GB and Minny. Pennington leaves Schottenheimer and has his best year since 2002.

So while changing coordinators might not be a panacea for Sanchez, it really probably won't hurt.

This

Cutler is terrible. The fans here generally make the same excuses that Sanchez apologists made earlier in the season for him. Offensive line, coordinator...etc.

That is, those who don't say things like "derrr he ain't got no heart, he don't play through pain, we should start that Caleb Henry guy!"

Vinny was even better playing for Charlie Weis in green and white.

Yeah but Vinny did bad under Hacket because hacket tried to make him a WC QB which Vinny was not. Chad was a good WC QB and thats why he stepped in in 02 and played well. The West Coast system was designed for QB's exactly like Montana playing to his strengths not his weaknesses. Its also why Chad sucked in Shottys offense and then did well in Miami.

Tha'ts absurd cause if you open up either of those windows to 5 years instead of three, you'll see favre and noodle arm having worse/similar seasons to what we've seen under schitty

Steve Young. He appeared lost when playing for Tampa. Bill Walsh/Mike Holmgren turned him into a superstar.

What part of same team is confusing? SF had infinitely better talent then TB + I don't think anyone would argue that Walsh was the last difference maker at OC. If there's some genuis out there you know about that's going to revolutionize the game, I'm all for it

Tha'ts absurd cause if you open up either of those windows to 5 years instead of three, you'll see favre and noodle arm having worse/similar seasons to what we've seen under schitty

It's pointless getting into this argument again, but I'll just clarify something for you once again. The point has never been the QBs magically play the worst football in all of their lives the second they get near Schotty. The point is that the QBs in his system seem to regularly play at or at least quite close to what has shown to be their professional worst. None of that makes the QB's blameless for their crappy performances, but it's enough of a trend to suggest this offense isn't exactly a QB's best friend.

What the hell were the Rams thinking?

I honestly don't know the answer to this question, so I'm hoping someone can provide me some examples of successes, or, some clarity that there hasn't been any evidence of this:

1. Fire the Offensive Coordinator on a statistically poor offense

2. Keep the young, struggling QB

3. Offense and QB improves dramatically.

My opinion on Sanchez is well documented. As are the opinions on Schotty of the majority of Jets fans. Neither are relevant to this thread. What I'd like to know is, has the above happened and how often?

Yes, it worked with the Giants.

Coughlin stripped Hufnagel of playcalling duties, made him quite before canning him, and made Gilbride the OC. This happened before the SB season. Eli didn't have a great year in 2007, but he played well the following.

What part of same team is confusing? SF had infinitely better talent then TB + I don't think anyone would argue that Walsh was the last difference maker at OC. If there's some genuis out there you know about that's going to revolutionize the game, I'm all for it

I missed the same team part, shoot me.. a$$.

The problem with looking to hire the next genius who will revolutionize the game is you have no idea who its gonna be. Just a few years before Walsh became the Niners coach he was fired as a Cincy assistant because he kept pissing off Paul Brown with his insane new offensive ideas that would never work. I guess geniuses can't even spot other geniuses.

Dude, Chad played 1 freakin' game under Dinger and blew out his shoulder. Kinda hard to point to that as an example.

Archived