Jets linemen defend Sanchez after anonymous rips

F.Chowds

Mark Sanchez’s teammates have watched him take a lot of hits on the field. But when he took some off the field yesterday, a couple of his offensive linemen came to his defense.

Responding to a published report that quoted Jets players and officials anonymously ripping Sanchez, center Nick Mangold guard Matt Slauson and defensive lineman Marcus Dixon defended their quarterback. Statements that Sanchez is lazy particularly irritated them.

“Whoever said all that, they’re out of their minds and just trippin’,” Dixon told the AP. “You can’t blame a season on one guy. I mean, come on. It’s all unfair. We have Mark Sanchez. He’s our quarterback. He’s our guy. And that’s how just about everyone in that locker room feels.”

Dixon pointed out that Sanchez has gathered the team’s running backs, wide receivers, tight ends and other quarterbacks in Southern California at his old high school the past few offseasons to work on team chemistry and camaraderie — much of it on his own dime.

“If that’s someone who doesn’t know how to be a leader or have a good work ethic, then I don’t know, man,” Dixon said.

“It was completely false,” Slauson said by phone. “Mark is the hardest-working quarterback I’ve ever played with. He puts in more time than anyone. Ever since he came in he’s been all about improving the team and winning. His whole life is about making the Jets the No. 1 team in the NFL.”

Mangold took to Twitter to defend Sanchez then went on 1050 ESPN Radio to speak about the issue.

“That’s the thing that really bothered me about the article,” Mangold said on “The Michael Kay Show.” “It was saying that he was lazy and didn’t put the work in, felt complacent. It couldn’t be more further from the truth. The guy puts in more work and more time, cares more about the team than anybody else in that locker room. For someone to come out and say that and not put their name behind it really bothered me.”

Mangold said he believes in Sanchez “100 percent.” He planned on texting Sanchez to let him know everyone in the Jets’ locker room did not share the sentiments of those quoted in the report.

As for players wanting the Jets to pursue Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, Mangold said his support is behind Sanchez.

“Mark Sanchez is my guy,” he said. “He’s the one I want to go into battle with. I wouldn’t be too keen to see that being changed.”

The idea of Manning playing for the Jets is far-fetched at this point. What is more realistic is the Jets bringing in a backup more capable of pushing Sanchez for the starting job than 41-year-old Mark Brunell.

There are not many exciting options on the free-agent market. New offensive coordinator Tony Sparano might want to bring Chad Henne with him from Miami. Other free-agent possibilities include: Vince Young, Donovan McNabb, Kyle Orton, Matt Flynn, Rex Grossman and David Garrard.

Both Mangold and Slauson were upset that players ripped Sanchez behind the cloak of anonymity.

“At first, I was a little upset because they did it anonymously. I thought that was cowardly,” Slauson said. “But now, I’m glad that they did it anonymously because it wouldn’t be a very good thing if other players and coaches knew who said those things.”

In the final week of the season, Slauson said Sanchez spoke to the team, organized film study groups and did everything he could to prepare the team for its game with the Dolphins.

“By the end of the year when everything was kind of in chaos, he was really the only one somewhat holding us together,” Slauson said.

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...N#ixzz1jFQFM21Q

Look we all know professional atheletes say some really stupid things. I have no doubt this is probably the case here as well. If Sanchez was not putting in the time and effort and was lazy Im sure he would have been called out by his teammates a long time ago and that would also have been in some of the complaints by these so called promenant players, but it was not. On a 53 man roster your going to have some unhappy players and when a player is unhappy they usually strike back in really stupid ways. Im sure the team will find out who put this crap out there and those players will be gone.

When they said he was lazy in practice that just discredits the entire arguement because how can a QB be lazy in practice with all the coaches and players watching the guy who takes every snap with the first teamers ? This bullsh*t is coming from a disgruntled player

If Sanchez is indeed lazy, then this coaching staff is absolutely to blame, as they have neither made him aware of expectations, nor made him live up to those expectations without repercussions.

That some on this board choose to ignore the transgressions made by Holmes and then accounted for in anonymous quotes, and then choose to continue to vilify Sanchez to further there own published agenda by the same anonymous quotes is hypocrisy in the highest order.

The vocal majority of this board rush to a mob mentality of purporting opinion as fact.

If Sanchez is indeed lazy, then this coaching staff is absolutely to blame, as they have neither made him aware of expectations, nor made him live up to those expectations without repercussions.

That some on this board choose to ignore the transgressions made by Holmes and then accounted for in anonymous quotes, and then choose to continue to vilify Sanchez to further there own published agenda by the same anonymous quotes is hypocrisy in the highest order.

The vocal majority of this board rush to a mob mentality of purporting opinion as fact.

Of course. Unreal Scott, just unreal.

CHAMPIONSHIP.

The Jets must lead the league in off-season leaders.

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but I am not sure who is making those claims. Nor is the situation as dour as some <coughtomshanecough> would have us believe either.

It resides somewhere in the middle, as it always does. Lunatic fringe be damned

Not that they won't come, but the voices of Revis, Harris, Scott, Cro, Holmes, Burress, and LT are conspicuously absent from Sanchez's defense.

LT maybe, but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath for any of the WRs (maybe Burress, only because he's trying to play the "good boy" for contract time) or defensive players to come racing to his defense.

Not sure what you are trying to say here, but I am not sure who is making those claims. Nor is the situation as dour as some <coughtomshanecough> would have us believe either.

It resides somewhere in the middle, as it always does. Lunatic fringe be damned

The lunatic fringe is out there. It is in hiding but I know it holds meetings.

Not that they won't come, but the voices of Revis, Harris, Scott, Cro, Holmes, Burress, and LT are conspicuously absent from Sanchez's defense.

Come on, we all know Scott and Holmes are two of the sources.

There's no way LT would be one of them because he already defended Sanchez to the media before the season ended.

Come on, we all know Scott and Holmes are two of the sources.

There's no way LT would be one of them because he already defended Sanchez to the media before the season ended.

I would add Plex as a source, Revis as a "I don't give a **** about the qb", and Cro as a, "ah who Sanchez"

I would add Plex as a source, Revis as a "I don't give a **** about the qb", and Cro as a, "ah who Sanchez"

IDK about Scott. I'd say for sure Holmes, probably Plax

Scott was definitely one of them. I can see Plax as well.

Also, it's pretty clear to me now that Schitty was one of the sources of the article.

Joe Theisman is close friends with Schitty and this is what Joe said in an interview after speaking with Joe (on rumors that Schitty wants the Atlanta OC job):

“[brian] felt like he was saddled and limited by what Mark Sanchez can do in New York,” Theisman said. “Mark is really not that good. He’s a hard-working kid. He wants to be good. But he doesn’t understand the game of football the way Matt does.

“You have to play the position with the knowledge of where you are on the field, what the score is in the game. What [you] can do. What [you] can’t do. What are the things that are required of me. Really, the only route that Mark throws effectively is the quick post. He’s going to have a whole lot more to work with, with Matt Ryan.”

Well, you certainly covered your bases on that one ;)

Just because they have not said ANYTHING, does not preclude guilt. Sorry, it just not work that way.

I did not say they are the one's who did it. Just that they haven't run to Sanchez's defense. Who said it is less interesting to me than the overall silence besides 3 players on it. Especially when you consider only one of those players who spoke up is a high end guy.

You'd also have to believe Ellard and Schottenheimer may have had a few choice words to say on the topic as well. Sanchez single-handedly put them on the street.

Perhaps you're right, but the performance of Ellard's unit, completely independent of the QB issues, was more than enough for him to deserve to be fired. Just from a pure technique standpoint they were plain awful. Have you ever seen so many WRs on a single team constantly trying to catch the ball with their bodies (and subsequently dropping a countless number of balls because of it)? Not to mention the crappy, lazy route-running that has plagued pretty much every starting WR this team has had in his time here. That's just garbage coaching from the position coach, regardless of how bad the QB sucks.

I did not say they are the one's who did it. Just that they haven't run to Sanchez's defense. Who said it is less interesting to me than the overall silence besides 3 players on it. Especially when you consider only one of those players who spoke up is a high end guy.

In fairness though, I would consider the one that has spoken the loudest, to be one of the most stand-up and respectable on these team.

Listen, none of us know a hoot about the integrity, sincerity, class work ethic or character of any of these players as we profess, but if I had to pick one out of a team who I would say shoots straight, it would be mangold.

Pure conjecture on my part there, obviously.

In fairness though, I would consider the one that has spoken the loudest, to be one of the most stand-up and respectable on these team.

Listen, none of us know a hoot about the integrity, sincerity, class work ethic or character of any of these players as we profess, but if I had to pick one out of a team who I would say shoots straight, it would be mangold.

Pure conjecture on my part there, obviously.

I'm not sure that matters. I agree with your opinion on Mangold, but the point is there are other important and talented players on this team, especially Revis, who you don't hear defending Sanchez. The silence is conspicuous.

Beyond that, Mangold is being the good soldier. His responses sounded coached, as the only negative he put forth was his own unit (ie, taking responsibility for problems rather than passing the buck). In a season that was considered by everyone to be a failure, he had nothing bad to say. That's fine, but that doesn't mean it's his true opinion, or in reality the pulse of the jets. His interview, in my opinion, was pure PR.

I'm not sure that matters. I agree with your opinion on Mangold, but the point is there are other important and talented players on this team, especially Revis, who you don't hear defending Sanchez. The silence is conspicuous.

Beyond that, Mangold is being the good soldier. His responses sounded coached, as the only negative he put forth was his own unit (ie, taking responsibility for problems rather than passing the buck). In a season that was considered by everyone to be a failure, he had nothing bad to say. That's fine, but that doesn't mean it's his true opinion, or in reality the pulse of the jets. His interview, in my opinion, was pure PR.

Again, I will say that out of my own non-knowing of any these people, Mangold seems the most sincere. I do not think he would publicly state things he does not honestly feel. I amy be way off on that. No one here knows.

That others do not say anything is not necessarily an indictment. Don't confuse that.

Perhaps you're right, but the performance of Ellard's unit, completely independent of the QB issues, was more than enough for him to deserve to be fired. Just from a pure technique standpoint they were plain awful. Have you ever seen so many WRs on a single team constantly trying to catch the ball with their bodies (and subsequently dropping a countless number of balls because of it)? Not to mention the crappy, lazy route-running that has plagued pretty much every starting WR this team has had in his time here. That's just garbage coaching from the position coach, regardless of how bad the QB sucks.

+1.sanchez didnt exactly help them keep their jobs,but both did a really poor job.good ridance

Again, I will say that out of my own non-knowing of any these people, Mangold seems the most sincere. I do not think he would publicly state things he does not honestly feel. I amy be way off on that. No one here knows.

That others do not say anything is not necessarily an indictment. Don't confuse that.

Certainly not an indictment. And, my first comment was that it doesn't mean they won't come forward. But, the silence does make you think.

“It was completely false,” Slauson said by phone. “Mark is the hardest-working quarterback I’ve ever played with. He puts in more time than anyone. Ever since he came in he’s been all about improving the team and winning. His whole life is about making the Jets the No. 1 team in the NFL.”

I actually really appreciate his take here, considering he's only played with Mark Sanchez.

It kind of like when I tell my only sister she's my favorite sister.

Isn't this take just as bad as those who think Mehta just made up the story?

Mangold called the opinion of the others false, as we know, rather than it being a false story. In other words, the detractors don't know what they're talking about. Why can't that be Mangold's sincere opinion, just like the detractors having sincere opinions about it?

It's comical. Some players say Sanchez sucks, other players say he doesn't, but you think only the latter are being insincere.

Personally, I think both sides are being genuine in their disagreement.

Mangold is one of Sanchez's closest friends on the team and he's defending a friend. Why does it have to be "coached" and "being a good soldier"?

Isn't this take just as bad as those who think Mehta just made up the story?

Mangold called the opinion of the others false, as we know, rather than it being a false story. In other words, the detractors don't know what they're talking about. Why can't that be Mangold's sincere opinion, just like the detractors having sincere opinions about it?

It's comical. Some players say Sanchez sucks, other players say he doesn't, but you think only the latter are being insincere.

Personally, I think both sides are being genuine in their disagreement.

Mangold is one of Sanchez's closest friends on the team and he's defending a friend. Why does it have to be "coached" and "being a good soldier"?

I think they may be Mangolds real feelings. My point is he said everything right. When that happens, there's usually some PR crafting going on.

Further, if he's "defending a friend" as you say, that's also not necessarily in line with the reality of what happens in the field.

It is. When unnamed sources spoke negatively about Sanchez it was truth, but now that others have come forward, and put their name on it, and spoke positively its just PR.

I think they may be Mangolds real feelings. My point is he said everything right. When that happens, there's usually some PR crafting going on.

Further, if he's "defending a friend" as you say, that's also not necessarily in line with the reality of what happens in the field.

The PR crafting claim is just bogus and you know it.

I never said it was in line with reality when someone BFFs. It's like getting defended by your mom. Mangold said everything right because he's Sanchez' friend. A friend does that. He doesn't need Rex, Tanny, or the Jets PR director to give him pointers.

Again, if the "source" doesn't put his name on it, it's just Manish Mehta's word.

Even if it's just a story out there, you'd think a guy that is so well respected on the team would support his teammate, if he didn't actually say anything

How can you, at this point not think Revis is one of the "sources" He sure isn't trying to defend his QB

Archived