flgreen

Sunday notes: Dealing with cap issues

February, 12, 2012

Feb 12

5:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Thoughts and observations on our first Sunday without a football season:

1. The new league year begins in a month and, as usual, the Jets have some cap issues. Get this: Their 10 highest-paid players will count $90 million toward the 2012 salary cap, which is projected in the $120 million to $128 million range. Break out the shoe horn. Right now, the Jets have about $128 million committed to the cap, so they will have to do some trimming. In case you're wondering, the top 10 are Mark Sanchez, David Harris, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Darrelle Revis, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Nick Mangold and Brandon Moore.

2. A lot of fans are up in arms over the decision to guarantee RT Wayne Hunter's $2.45 million salary. It seems like a head scratcher, but here's what the Jets could be thinking: The free-agent market has slim pickings and, even if they replace him with a high draft choice, they'll still need an insurance policy -- and you're not going to find a decent insurance policy for less than $2.45 million. Plus, keep in mind that Hunter didn't receive a signing bonus last offseason with his new contract, so it's not like they've made a huge investment. Hey, I'm just trying to come up with possible reasons here.

3. ... And another thing: It would've looked bad, real bad, if they had dumped Hunter the same week they guaranteed Fort Knox to Holmes. Remember, Hunter was the guy who called out Holmes in the huddle on that fateful day in Miami, standing up to a player many had felt quit. As ESPNNewYork.com's Jane McManus reported at the time, Hunter screamed at Holmes, "If you don’t f------ want to play, get your a-- the f--- out!” If the Jets told Hunter to get out, it would've sent a bad message.

4. Some bookkeeping: Several players, with escalators in the final year of their contracts, received salary bumps for 2012: Dustin Keller ($2 million raise) is up to $3.05 million, Mike DeVito ($300,000) is up to $2.26 million and Matt Slauson ($740,000) is up to $1.3 million and Shonn Greene ($50,000) is up to $615,000. This is pretty standard stuff.

5. As for these rumors the Jets might try to trade Keller because his blocking isn't good enough to fit in Tony Sparano's scheme ... please. It would make no sense to unload Sanchez's security blanket. Keller is a very good receiver. Figure out a way to use him.

6. Bill Belichick is taking too much grief for the Mario Manningham catch. Yeah, he implored his defense to make Eli Manning throw it to Manningham -- the coach was miked by NFL Films -- but that was the right strategy: Force the opponent to go to its No. 3 WR, not its No. 1 or No. 2. The Patriots got burned because Manning made the perfect throw and Manningham made a sensational catch, but Belichick played the right percentages.

7. Belichick's big mistake was letting the Giants score one play too late. He should've done it on the play before Ahmad Bradshaw's 6-yard TD run. The Patriots would've had the ball with 1:04 left and two timeouts instead of :57 and one timeout. Big difference.

8. A few days before the Super Bowl, I wrote a column calling Tom Brady an "average" post-season quarterback since winning his third Super Bowl. That wasn't received too well in Patriot Nation, but facts are facts: Since winning his first 10 post-season games, Brady is 6-6, with 26 TD passes and 17 interceptions. His fourth-quarter numbers from his last two Super Bowls: 16-for-33, 155 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT. He failed both times to rally his team on his final possession.

Brady's worst moment was throwing off-target to a wide-open Wes Welker. Yes, Welker had both hands on the ball and should've made the catch, but it would've been a lot easier if Brady hadn't choked. It was akin to missing a three-foot putt. The game came down to two throws: Brady missed an open receiver from 23 yards, Manning was on the money to Manningham from 38.

9. Kudos to former Jets QB Erik Ainge, who has started his own football academy in Knoxville -- the Ainge Academy. The former Tennessee standout, basically thrown out of the NFL because of drug and alcohol problems, is trying to give back. He has a powerful story to tell, and he wants to help kids avoid the same mistakes he made. Good for him.

10. Former Jets and Dolphins QB Chad Pennington, in an interview with the Palm Beach Post, all but acknowledged he's ready to retire. He's always had a passion for coaching; wouldn't be interesting if he reunited with Sparano on the Jets? Pennington had this to say about Dolphins QB Chad Henne, a free agent: "For Chad, the best thing is a change of scenery. It was for me after eight years in New York." I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets make a play for Henne.Dealing

7. Belichick's big mistake was letting the Giants score one play too late. He should've done it on the play before Ahmad Bradshaw's 6-yard TD run. The Patriots would've had the ball with 1:04 left and two timeouts instead of :57 and one timeout. Big difference.

8. A few days before the Super Bowl, I wrote a column calling Tom Brady an "average" post-season quarterback since winning his third Super Bowl. That wasn't received too well in Patriot Nation, but facts are facts: Since winning his first 10 post-season games, Brady is 6-6, with 26 TD passes and 17 interceptions. His fourth-quarter numbers from his last two Super Bowls: 16-for-33, 155 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT. He failed both times to rally his team on his final possession.

Brady's worst moment was throwing off-target to a wide-open Wes Welker. Yes, Welker had both hands on the ball and should've made the catch, but it would've been a lot easier if Brady hadn't choked. It was akin to missing a three-foot putt. The game came down to two throws: Brady missed an open receiver from 23 yards, Manning was on the money to Manningham from 38.

WEVE HAD OUR DIFFERENCES IN THE PAST BUT GOD BLESS CIMINI I MEAN THE GUY JUST PLAIN GETS IT

1. The new league year begins in a month and, as usual, the Jets have some cap issues. Get this: Their 10 highest-paid players will count $90 million toward the 2012 salary cap, which is projected in the $120 million to $128 million range. Break out the shoe horn. Right now, the Jets have about $128 million committed to the cap, so they will have to do some trimming. In case you're wondering, the top 10 are Mark Sanchez, David Harris, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Darrelle Revis, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Nick Mangold and Brandon Moore.

HEY sh*tMINI WHY DONT YOU LEAVE THE ACCOUNTING TO MR T OMG HOW DOES THIS DUMBASS HAVE A JOB???.?./?/.

Sunday notes: Dealing with cap issues

Wwith-cap-issues#comment"]34

By Rich Cimini

Thoughts and observations on our first Sunday without a football season:

1. The new league year begins in a month and, as usual, the Jets have some cap issues. Get this: Their 10 highest-paid players will count $90 million toward the 2012 salary cap, which is projected in the $120 million to $128 million range. Break out the shoe horn. Right now, the Jets have about $128 million committed to the cap, so they will have to do some trimming. In case you're wondering, the top 10 are Mark Sanchez, David Harris, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Darrelle Revis, Santonio Holmes, Antonio Cromartie, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, Nick Mangold and Brandon Moore

Not to be too snide (because I honestly don't know), I wonder how far down the Giants/Pats/Packers/Steelers/etc roster before you got to the $90 mil mark.

The Jets are going to need to get a lot out of this year's draft class. They will be forced to contribute, if not start right away. We are all going to have to live with the growing pains of rookie players and hope the learning curve isn't too steep.

Guys that Jets fans hate like Eric Smith and Wayne Hunter may still receive significant playing time this year, but I do think their 2012 cap number can be reduced, cutting Smith and resigning at a lower number and pushing some of Hunters money into 2013 cap. Right now a replacement does not exist if someone, hopefully, steps up and takes the starting roles these players can add some depth in case of injury, at least they have starting experience.

The Jets are going to need contributions from areas they were not expecting, Ricky Sapp maybe. They are going to have to be frugal with their free agent signing maybe one year deals with guys near the end but who can still contribute.

I feel personally that moves can be made to put a very competitive team on the field for 2012. The Jets were 5th in yards allowed on defense in 2011. I don't know but did the Jets have the 5th best defensive roster in 2011? It shows that Rex and Pettine can scheme and game plan defensively and get lots out of his players, especially on defense.

There is a new offense in place and hopefully some new offensive draftees can help out. If the Jets can go from 25th in offense last year to say 15th this year the benefits will be great.

So while the cap is tight and some flexibility is lost it doesn’t mean that the roster can’t improve. The Jets FO has their work cut out for them and may have to make some tough decisions but we’ll all have to hope they have a great/smart offseason.

Not to be too snide (because I honestly don't know), I wonder how far down the Giants/Pats/Packers/Steelers/etc roster before you got to the $90 mil mark.

The Patriots whole roster is only at about $95 million, so pretty far down. The Giants would take somewhere around 13 or 14 guys. Packers might be 25 or 30 deep. Before the restructures the Steelers were probably around 10 as well. Maybe less. Their cap payroll was over 20 million more than ours which is why they keep restructuring so many deals

5. As for these rumors the Jets might try to trade Keller because his blocking isn't good enough to fit in Tony Sparano's scheme ... please. It would make no sense to unload Sanchez's security blanket. Keller is a very good receiver. Figure out a way to use him.

Clearly Cimini didn't get the memo that there are no very good receivers on this roster and that all the offensive problems were Shonn Greene's fault.

The Giants have just under $60 Million to top ten earners. Not sure about Packers, Steelers or Patriots.

10. Former Jets and Dolphins QB Chad Pennington, in an interview with the Palm Beach Post, all but acknowledged he's ready to retire. He's always had a passion for coaching; wouldn't be interesting if he reunited with Sparano on the Jets? Pennington had this to say about Dolphins QB Chad Henne, a free agent: "For Chad, the best thing is a change of scenery. It was for me after eight years in New York." I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets make a play for Henne.Dealing

:rl:

follow up question: So what was different once you left New York. Championships ? Regular playoff apprearances ? No injuries ?

The Patriots whole roster is only at about $95 million, so pretty far down. The Giants would take somewhere around 13 or 14 guys. Packers might be 25 or 30 deep. Before the restructures the Steelers were probably around 10 as well. Maybe less. Their cap payroll was over 20 million more than ours which is why they keep restructuring so many deals

Thanks, man. Really surprised to read that about the Steelers, but I guess with Ben, Woodley, Polamalu, Harrison, etc, they've run up the tab.

Archived