Keeping Cavanaugh a Mistake

JetNation

Post image for Keeping Cavanaugh a Mistake

When the Jets announced their 2012 coaching staff, they announced that they had retained quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh, who previously was “being evaluated.” This is one of those non-moves that should have Jets fans shaking their heads.

Brian Schottenheimer leaving the organization and Tony Sparano coming in should have meant a quarterbacks coaching change. Usually, new coaches like to bring in their own guys, and the fact that Sparano didn’t is surprising.

Let’s assume, for argument’s sake, that the Jets are not pursuing Peyton Manning. The current evidence says they’re not: Sparano is a run oriented coach and retaining Cavanaugh, Mark Sanchez’s coach, would suggest Manning isn’t in the picture. So let’s figure they’re not bringing in Manning. Obviously, it wouldn’t matter who the quarterbacks coach was if Manning became a Jet.

Currently, though, it looks like Sanchez is staying. Sanchez himself is obviously the biggest argument against keeping Cavanaugh. Sanchez was not brilliant in his first two seasons with the Jets, but he was at least serviceable as a game manager. With a defense-oriented, ground-and-pound team, that’s all you really ask of the QB. Get a lead and don’t blow it. The defense will take care of the rest.

This year, when Sanchez was asked to throw the ball more, he completely fell apart. His numbers say he’s better, but he just looks worse. It’s not a numbers thing with Sanchez right now, it’s the fact he just looks terrible, and anyone who has been watching football for any extended period of time can see that.

It is possible Sanchez was injured for the final stretch of the season. After getting hit by Von Miller in Denver, Sanchez’s numbers plummeted when it came to throwing the ball down the field, even for Sanchez. The assumed pinched nerve in his neck will heal, but Sanchez wasn’t doing as well as everyone had hoped before the Denver game.

mattcavanaugh.jpg

There are indications from former quarterbacks who are now in media, including Rich Gannon, Steve Young, and Trent Dilfer, that a lot of Sanchez’s mistakes are things that can be improved with better coaching. Between Gannon working with Sanchez in 2010, Gannon’s comments from the booth about how Sanchez eyes can be better trained and his footwork improved, and the LA Times article about Gannon saying young quarterbacks are not being developed properly, you got the feeling he was talking specifically about Sanchez in that article.

A month or two ago, Dilfer, talking to Michael Kay on ESPN radio in New York, mentioned that it looked like Sanchez’s mechanics had altered. He and, if I recall correctly, Young, figured this out by watching some film.

If these things are the case, what was Cavanaugh doing during the week besides coaching Mark Sanchez? Mark Brunell and Kevin O’Connell were never going to play, so Cavanaugh was focusing on what, exactly? Were Schottenheimer’s game plans so complex that Sanchez had to spend every waking moment learning them?

Schottenheimer was asked to leave because the offense (Sanchez) went backwards last season, but he can’t be the only one held responsible for Sanchez’s lack of development. He had an entire offense to run. Either he was ignoring what Cavanaugh was telling him about Sanchez and not adjusting his game plans, which is doubtful, or Cavanaugh wasn’t doing his job and Schotty wasn’t demanding accountability from him. In this case, both of them should have been shown the door.

One argument for keeping Cavanaugh is that you don’t want too much upheaval around Sanchez all at once. This is a dumb argument. Sparano is already a new guy, and Sanchez has seemed fragile at times, but the bottom line is if he’s that fragile, he shouldn’t be a professional football player. He can handle a new coach. He’s a grown man, and he should be able work with someone new without totally losing it.

So it’s down to one or two things. 1) The Jets didn’t want to eat the last year of Cavanaugh’s contract and/or 2) they didn’t have anyone better to replace him.With Todd Haley hired to be the offensive coordinator for the Steelers and Brian Daboll (a Sparano guy from Miami) hired to be the offensive coordinator for the Chiefs, it’s safe to say that the Jets decided they didn’t have anyone better to replace him. They probably didn’t want to eat the contract or create too much commotion around Sanchez as well, but they probably just didn’t have anyone better.

And it’s probably going to come back to bite them. We can only take the Jets at their word, which means that Sanchez is their franchise guy and they aren’t looking to replace him. If that’s the case, how can they not find someone better to coach him, so that he improves, so that he doesn’t fail so miserably again?

They should have given Rich Gannon a call and thrown money at him until he came in to work with Sanchez. At least Gannon seems to know what he’s doing.

di
di

jnb_k6Nd3Qw

View the full article

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to be touch to get Gannon to give up his cushy job on TV that he won't get back later. People don't generally leave those jobs for lowly QB Coach positions.

There was no indication that hiring Haley would have meant Cavanaugh's departure.

Hard to know what the team is thinking, as they haven't tipped their hand beyond saying there will be stiffer perceived competition than Mark Brunell.

Sanchez had two QB coaches last year Cavanaugh and Brunell, since he can't play anymore, so maybe only having one coach will help. I think the completion percentage is an underrated statistic especially here. Sanchez only 56% completion last year and never throw down the field. More completions = more first downs = better field position = more time of possession. How did the Jets have the 5th rank defense with the 25th ranked offense? If the offense was ranked 15th the defense would be top two.

getting rid of the main obstacle to improvement (now readying to destroy Sam Bradford) changes everything IMO

If Sanchez isn't the problem, why is our new OC a guy who's going to probably run the ball 60 % of the time? This despite the fact that we have a $50 million WR1, a former 1st round pass-catching TE, an up-and-coming slot receiver on the roster and intentions to bring in a quality WR2?

Sanchez had two QB coaches last year Cavanaugh and Brunell, since he can't play anymore, so maybe only having one coach will help. I think the completion percentage is an underrated statistic especially here. Sanchez only 56% completion last year and never throw down the field. More completions = more first downs = better field position = more time of possession. How did the Jets have the 5th rank defense with the 25th ranked offense? If the offense was ranked 15th the defense would be top two.

Not to mention if the offense - except for Shonn Greene, Mr. Fumble of the past, oddly enough - and special teams fumbling or throwing away so many possessions.

the coaching market is like the QB market, there's huge demand and no supply. as the article says, The Jets probably wanted to change QB coaches, but couldn't find anyone better.

And none of the supply that's out there has yet been willing to tie their fate to Mark Sanchez. A QB who, on paper, has so much room for improvement that it should be easy to look like a genius QB coach. Just like it's easier for a HC to oversee a 6-game improvement from 4-12 than it is to get the same 6-game improvement from a team that was 8-8.

It has nothing to do with ponying up enough money for a QB coach. For all the criticism fans have thrown his way, Woody Johnson hasn't seemed to lose out on anything from coaching personnel or to practice facilities because of the size of the check needed. What's he supposed to do, offer Rich Gannon (or someone perceived to be as good) $6M a year to be Sanchez's full-time QB coach? I'm sure Gannon fully knows his sh*t, but does that mean he would necessarily be a great teacher (or a great teacher to this particular pupil)?

You have links for that? I want to read them.

will try and find, they were way back and twitter suks as it only keeps 30 days to search on. It did not list the coaches names. As Bitonti said they kept cause they couldnt find anyone better.

cavanaugh is well respected in NFL community.

You can't coach up testosterone. Mark suffers from "low T".

All fine and good the change the variables around him. Problem remains the QB himself. There is nothing about the 3 years so far that tells us Sanchez is going to become even a servicable game manager, much less a superior QB.

Like I've always said, its the coaching. Even with the horrible offense/QB play, just looking at Sanchez something tells me that he's a good QB and just not being developed correctly.

I remember people raving about his footwork and pocket presence his rookie year, Phil Simms even said he had the best footwork of any QB in the league except Peyton Manning at that time.

Now while I never thought he looked quite that impressive, I do remember him looking significantly better in the pocket his first two years than last year.

I gotta believe that Cavanaugh must have them convinced Shotty was the one who put Sanchez on the wrong path. That's not exactly a leap considering part of the reason Cavanaugh was hired was his friendship with Rex, they coached together in Baltimore for five years.

fair enough, but if jets wanted to keep MC, why didnt they announce they were retaining him a month ago, they kicked the tires on his replacement. for what ever reason they

didnt take jets offer.

Or, the Jets didn't find anyone they liked enough to replace him. This does work both ways you know. Plus, as I pointed out earlier, our HC has a long friendship with our QB coach which was part of the reason he was hired in the first place. Hard to throw a friend out the door unless you find someone you fall in love with to be his replacement.

Or, the Jets didn't find anyone they liked enough to replace him. This does work both ways you know. Plus, as I pointed out earlier, our HC has a long friendship with our QB coach which was part of the reason he was hired in the first place. Hard to throw a friend out the door unless you find someone you fall in love with to be his replacement.

well i happen to like MC, but if you are using the CS as a scapegoat for Nacho, then you can him. otherwise they will blame cavanuagh for 2012 failures. I know schott will be blamed this year as well

well i happen to like MC, but if you are using the CS as a scapegoat for Nacho, then you can him. otherwise they will blame cavanuagh for 2012 failures. I know schott will be blamed this year as well

Nah... Sparano will be one and done due to his play calling, hand cuffing Sanchez and for making his ground and pound too complicated. MC is Rex's homeboy, the know what the real problem and if they can they fix it. If not, they will leave the Jets together after next year.

Welp, Daboll and Haley both got jobs as OCs so you really cant say that they ran from the Sanchize. They had a better offer out there. Right now I am in the frame of mind that it could have been worse. Cavanaugh could have been promoted to OC....

I remember people raving about his footwork and pocket presence his rookie year, Phil Simms even said he had the best footwork of any QB in the league except Peyton Manning at that time.

Now while I never thought he looked quite that impressive, I do remember him looking significantly better in the pocket his first two years than last year.

I gotta believe that Cavanaugh must have them convinced Shotty was the one who put Sanchez on the wrong path. That's not exactly a leap considering part of the reason Cavanaugh was hired was his friendship with Rex, they coached together in Baltimore for five years.

Jaworski said Kellen Clemens was the best QB in the 2006 draft. Even better than Matt Leinart, who himself was the most NFL-ready QB to come out since Peyton Manning. Mechanics, awareness, size, accuracy, and a strong enough arm.

And I'm going to need a link from Simms saying saying Sanchez had better footwork than anyone else in the world (essentially), other than Peyton Manning.

Jaworski said Kellen Clemens was the best QB in the 2006 draft. Even better than Matt Leinart, who himself was the most NFL-ready QB to come out since Peyton Manning. Mechanics, awareness, size, accuracy, and a strong enough arm.

And I'm going to need a link from Simms saying saying Sanchez had better footwork than anyone else in the world (essentially), other than Peyton Manning.

He said it during a game broadcast Sperm, though I do remember the comment being discussed on JN the following day so maybe you can use your superior search skills to find it.

You're telling me you don't think Sanchez looked more poised early his rookie year than he did last year? The kid came out of the gate like gangbusters. Remember his first game where he completed all those third down throws in Houston? Kid looked like he was going to dominate at that point. Then came the five consecutive turnover free games to start his second year.

Then it seemed to all fall apart during his third year.

I've said it here before, practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you practice the wrong things you'll just get really good at doing the wrong thing. The kid wasn't this bad before this year. The reason for it is something we can debate until we're blue in the face.

I think Peyton Manning is a pipe dream that isn't going to happen. From my POV we're currently stuck with this kid, so we may as well make the best of it. I prefer to hope he improves rather than make myself miserable wishing we had someone else who we're not going to get.

He said it during a game broadcast Sperm, though I do remember the comment being discussed on JN the following day so maybe you can use your superior search skills to find it.

You're telling me you don't think Sanchez looked more poised early his rookie year than he did last year? The kid came out of the gate like gangbusters. Remember his first game where he completed all those third down throws in Houston? Kid looked like he was going to dominate at that point. Then came the five consecutive turnover free games to start his second year.

Then it seemed to all fall apart during his third year.

I've said it here before, practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you practice the wrong things you'll just get really good at doing the wrong thing. The kid wasn't this bad before this year. The reason for it is something we can debate until we're blue in the face.

I think Peyton Manning is a pipe dream that isn't going to happen. From my POV we're currently stuck with this kid, so we may as well make the best of it. I prefer to hope he improves rather than make myself miserable wishing we had someone else who we're not going to get.

That is asking for a disaster.

Were I Tannenbaum, or Bradway,or Clinkscale or who ever is making the decisions, tape of Flynn's college career and his 6 TD game would be on my laptop, my PC and my phone 24/7.

Were I Tannenbaum, or Bradway,or Clinkscale or who ever is making the decisions, tape of Flynn's college career and his 6 TD game would be on my laptop, my PC and my phone 24/7.

Matt Flynn = Scott Mitchell = Kevin Kolb - they're all the same guy.

He's going to Miami where he already knows the offense anyway.

I predict Flynn to be utter garbage. Why? Dont know. Gut feeling.

Matt Flynn = Scott Mitchell = Kevin Kolb - they're all the same guy.

He's going to Miami where he already knows the offense anyway.

Yeah, thats what my gut is telling me. I watched that game he went nuts. And while it was a very impressive game for a stats standpoint...I remember watching and not really being wowed by any means. Mediocre arm, mediocre Footwork, good decision making...that was my take. The thing that wowed me was how horrible Detroits defense was.

That is a pretty big leap when you consider the Jets talked to at least (and probably more) 5 people to come in to replace Cavanaugh, but no one wanted the job. He convinced Rex so much that he brought in half a dozen people to replace him. We still have Cavanaugh because no one else in the NFL, who was qualified, wanted the job. It is pretty simple. At this point Cavanaugh is probably plan C or D as a QB coach.

That is a pretty big leap when you consider the Jets talked to at least (and probably more) 5 people to come in to replace Cavanaugh, but no one wanted the job. He convinced Rex so much that he brought in half a dozen people to replace him. We still have Cavanaugh because no one else in the NFL, who was qualified, wanted the job. It is pretty simple. At this point Cavanaugh is probably plan C or D as a QB coach.

This whole "no one else wanted the job" crap is the huge leap.

The FACT that they showed up for the interview pretty much proves they wanted the job.

Archived