Is Mike Nugent a franchise player?

SayNoToDMC

He is now!

Another home run pick for the Jets front office

http://profootballta...anchise-player/

Mike Nugent is a franchise player

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on March 2, 2012, 3:37 PM EST

Mike Nugent was not the missing piece that the Jets needed to get over the hump during the Herm Edwards era in New York.

In Cincinnati, Mike Nugent is a franchise player.

Okay, he’s not a player that you build a franchise around. And he’s not going to be the difference between advancing in the playoffs or not. (Most likely.) But he will be designated the team’s franchise player on Friday, according to Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

The franchise tag for kickers is “only” $2.6 million. Nugent is the first kicker to be franchised, but he will hardly be the last. Connor Barth and Josh Scobee could be next.

nugent is one of many professional athletes, who for whatever reason couldn't hack life in NY. He's from Ohio, the fact he's playing well in Ohio (with kicking being mostly a mental game), doesn't surprise me. it happens in baseball as well (remember jeff weaver) a guy has a stellar resume, goes to NY and folds up like a napkin.

I was at the 05 draft when we selected him and the words still haunt me at night sometimes....

With the 47th pick of the 2005 NFL draft, the New York Jets select, Mike Nugent, KICKER, Ohio St

....yuck

Justin Miller went 10 picks later, was a small consolation prize to a very odd day

Just did a quick search on Justin Miller... he's an available free agent.

My excitement faded when I saw that we had already brought him back and waived him. I totally forgot about that, hahahaa

(sigh)...I drink too much.

I was at the 05 draft when we selected him and the words still haunt me at night sometimes....

With the 47th pick of the 2005 NFL draft, the New York Jets select, Mike Nugent, KICKER, Ohio St

....yuck

Justin Miller went 10 picks later, was a small consolation prize to a very odd day

My favorite part of that day is when Merril Hoge killed the Jets for taking Nugent instead of Miller at that spot only to have ESPN not go to him for comment when the Jets took Miller.

My favorite part of that day is when Merril Hoge killed the Jets for taking Nugent instead of Miller at that spot only to have ESPN not go to him for comment when the Jets took Miller.

I had happily forgotten that. I do remember now screaming at the television when they didn't show Hoge's dumb face having to eat crow.

The Bengals have a habit of franchising kickers. They did it with Shayne Graham a few years ago, and they call the same play here with Nugent who IMO is worth it. As was mentioned earlier by others, maybe playing in New York wasn't his cup of tea but he's been pretty solid in Cincy.

Archived