Politi: Pursuit of Peyton Manning Would Be Typical of Flawed Jets

flgreen

Politi: Pursuit of Peyton Manning would be typical of flawed Jets

Published: Wednesday, March 07, 2012, 12:52 PM Updated: Wednesday, March 07, 2012, 1:42 PM

2535.png By Steve Politi/Star-Ledger Columnist

Follow

Email Print

10655414-large.jpgJim Rogash/GettyPeyton Manning has been cut by the Colts, officially making him a free agent.

Maybe it’s time, in light of their apparent decision to pursue Peyton Manning, for the Jets to put their true franchise philosophy into writing and hang it on the side of their training complex:

“The New York Jets: Committed to -- oooh, look at the shiny thing over there!"

Because you really have to wonder about this franchise today, as they entertain the idea of scrapping their last bold plan three years into the process for their next bold plan.

Who are the Jets? Does anyone know?

Do they know?

They went from the outspoken players’ coach who played to win the game, to the paranoid Bill Belichick clone who shredded practice reports, to the outspoken players’ coach who wasn’t going to kiss anyone’s rings.

They went from the homegrown quarterback they invested years developing, to the future Hall of Famer on the last legs of his career, to the homegrown quarterback they invested years developing.

Are they really trying to go back to the future Hall of Famer on the last legs of his career?

From Herm Edwards to Eric Mangini to Rex Ryan. From Chad Pennington to Brett Favre to Mark Sanchez to, maybe, Peyton Manning. The question isn’t if this is the best move for the Jets. It’s if the Jets have any idea what the best move for the Jets is any more.

Just about any team would want the guy as the face of the franchise, and after watching his farewell press conference, it’s easy to see why. It was equal parts earnest and magnanimous.

When he nearly broke down praising “the best equipment guys in the world,” you knew that if your mother was the general manager of the team, she’d have already traded everyone to get him.

“We all know that nothing lasts forever,” Manning said. “Times change, circumstances change, and that's the reality of playing in the NFL.”

He said he hadn’t given any thought to where he might end up, but at this stage of his career, you’d have to think he’d crave the stability he had for all those years in Indianapolis, something the Jets lack.

The top franchises in the NFL are the ones with a strong identity. You know exactly what the Patriots are. You know exactly what the Steelers are. You know -- and you knew this was coming, Jets fans -- exactly what the Giants are.

They are organizations committed to a direction and a philosophy, who do things in a certain way because they believe it’s the right way. They are predictable for a reason. They’re also the most consistent winners in the league.

The Jets, meanwhile, are like the college senior that changes majors because a cute coed signs up for a class. They had a pretty good plan for three years, then scrap it before they see it to the end.

Because, for all his warts, Mark Sanchez was a pretty good plan. Trading up to select him with the fifth overall pick in the 2009 draft is still one of the bolder and smarter moves this franchise has made.

They saw what happened with Favre, how his body had betrayed him at the end, how he wasn’t totally committed to the franchise after a lifetime in Green Bay. Manning, 35, is younger than Favre was. He was a better quarterback in his prime, but he’s past those days now.

He might be great again in his return. He might be damaged goods after all those neck surgeries. If that’s a 50/50 proposition, then it’s no better than the Jets might get with Sanchez.

Sanchez, without a decent running game or a true down-field threat, completed 56.7 percent of his passes last season for 3,474 yards, 26 touchdowns and 18 interceptions. He was not good enough to elevate a flawed Jets team that finished 8-8 and out of the postseason.

The team made the right decision to bring in a new offensive coordinator, Tony Sparano, in hopes a new voice will help his development. Finding him another reliable target, preferably one that won’t pull a Santonio Holmes and quit on the season, should be the next priority.

You can say Sanchez has been coddled, or that he hasn’t lived up to expectations, or even that he regressed last season. But you can’t say that he’s failed -- not yet, at least, after just three seasons (and two AFC Championship Game appearances on his résumé, in case anyone has forgotten).

He should be the starter next season. For the Jets to scrap the plan now and chase Peyton Manning, the latest shiny thing, would be so … well, so totally like them, come to think of it.

Steve Politi: spoliti@starledger.com; Twitter: @StevePoliti.

The top franchises in the NFL are the ones with a strong identity. You know exactly what the Patriots are. You know exactly what the Steelers are. You know -- and you knew this was coming, Jets fans -- exactly what the Giants are.

And it's crap like this which makes this drivel such unreadable garbage. Up until this point, the whole basis for the article is trashing the Jets for their changes in philosophy, and yet all three of the teams mentioned have seen drastic changes in their makeup over the past few years. Basically, that list is nothing but the three most successful franchises in recent history, each having played in 3+ Super Bowls since 2000, and mindlessly trying to use them as a point of comparison with zero basis. Take a look at those teams from one Super Bowl game to the next, and they look nothing like each other. You have the Pats defensive oriented, ball control team turning into an offensive powerhouse that couldn't stop anything on D, the Steelers ground and pound team who's never run worse and throws the ball endlessly even with a gimp at QB, and a team who leaned on a 3-headed running attack that is now throwing the ball all over the field and was one of the worst rushing teams in the league.

But the bottom line is, what do these three teams all happen to have in common? Oh wait, that's right, a franchise quarterback. The one thing that the Jets have desperately tried to get for themselves in recent history, which is, curiously enough, exactly what this article is trashing them for. It's absolutely moronic nonsense. Just look at the recent stretch of Jets history, and any time they got some real production out of the QB position, they looked just as good as any of those three teams, whether it was Favre's short healthy stint in 2008 or when Sanchez had his few streaks of ability shining through that had us thinking he really was the future. Until the Jets find that QB, the rest of this is absolute nonsense, especially when you consider they've been pretty damn successful for a team without one in a couple of recent seasons. Ever think there might be a reason those three teams didn't bring home Lombardi's in the years when Eli was sucking a$$, Big Ben was a gimp or Brady was knocked out for the season? Their great philosophies didn't seem to mean a damn thing in those years.

I do agree with the basic premise that this is no way to run a franchise... taking people's cast offs at Qb and hoping for a Super Bowl.

but ya know why the Jets aren't gonna go hard after Peyton Manning?

Cause they aren't opening a new stadium this year and have to sell 50,000 PSLs.

I understand the economics of the Favre decision. At that time, they needed some reason to excite everyone to pay money.

Now? They have the money machine stadium more or less set up. Even got a naming sponsor.

It is true that franchise Qbs win super bowls. But I dont believe Favre was a franchise Qb when he signed with the Jets and I don't believe Manning is a franchise QB wherever he signs. He was at one point... 5 years ago. Now? Not so much.

Our AFC championship games have showed us what you get when you have a decent QB and what you don't get unless you have a great QB.

That said, spine-fusion hasn't been shown to create great NFL QBs.

I wouldn't blame any team for looking, but I don't think Manning is the guy.

Our AFC championship games have showed us what you get when you have a decent QB and what you don't get unless you have a great QB.

That said, spine-fusion hasn't been shown to create great NFL QBs.

I wouldn't blame any team for looking, but I don't think Manning is the guy.

It also showed you that with 6 minutes left in the game, down by less than a TD, you better have a defense that get get off the field and give your O the chance to win the game in a final drive.

It also showed you that with 6 minutes left in the game, down by less than a TD, you better have a defense that get get off the field and give your O the chance to win the game in a final drive.

Yes, because the Jets offense contributing -4 net points in the first half had nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

Yes, because the Jets offense contributing -4 net points in the first half had nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

It don't recall the 1st half much besides Mendenhall running rough shod over the flat Jets D because Rex couldn't get the team up for the biggest game of their lives.

It don't recall the 1st half much besides Mendenhall running rough shod over the flat Jets D because Rex couldn't get the team up for the biggest game of their lives.

Allow me to refresh your memory.

- Pittsburgh came out and ran roughshod over the Jets' D on their way to a TD. 7-0

- The Jets drive stalls around midfield and they punt.

- Pittsburgh moves ball into Jets territory and B. Thomas picks off Roethlisberger

- Offense pisses away momentum on an awful 3-and-out

- Pittsburgh kicks a FG. 10-0

- Jets start at own 40, promptly punt on another 3-and-out

- Pittsburgh scores a TD. 17-0

- On 3rd-and-17 from his own 26 with around 1:30 to go in the half, Sanchez gets sacked, coughs up the ball, and Pitt scores a TD. 24-0.

- With barely over a minute to go in the Half, Pitt plays it conservative and lets the Jets march down the field and score a TD. 24-3.

The Jets defense gave up 17 points in the game and didn't allow a score in the 2nd Half. While they were pathetic early, that's not the first place I'd assign the blame for the loss.

The Jets FO is filled with clowns, but this is among the worst articles I've ever read. You know who the Patriots are? I don't think Belichick knows who they are week to week. You know who the Giants are? They have the leading rusher in the league one year and the next year they're the worst rushing team in the league. And somehow moving from Herm to Mangini to Rex was some string of unplanned and flighty wackiness? Jesus.

- Pittsburgh came out and ran roughshod over the Jets' D on their way to a TD. 7-0

- Pittsburgh moves ball into Jets territory and B. Thomas picks off Roethlisberger

- On 3rd-and-17 from his own 26 with around 1:30 to go in the half, Sanchez gets sacked, coughs up the ball, and Pitt scores a TD. 24-0.

- With barely over a minute to go in the Half, Pitt plays it conservative and lets the Jets march down the field and score a TD. 24-3.

The Jets defense gave up 17 points in the game and didn't allow a score in the 2nd Half. While they were pathetic early, that's not the first place I'd assign the blame for the loss.

Thanks! I now remember the strip sack and the awful playcalling/gameplan by Schitty which should've got him fired rather than a 2 year extension.

I loved the postgame interviews where some offensive player said, "We used the same gameplan we did against them during the regular season, but we don't know why it didn't work now."

The Jets FO is filled with clowns, but this is among the worst articles I've ever read. You know who the Patriots are? I don't think Belichick knows who they are week to week. You know who the Giants are? They have the leading rusher in the league one year and the next year they're the worst rushing team in the league. And somehow moving from Herm to Mangini to Rex was some string of unplanned and flighty wackiness? Jesus.

I bet you think you're just soooo cool saying essentially the same thing I did in a few thousand less words, huh? "Oh, look at me, I'm T0mShane, people are actually going to read my post!"

I bet you think you're just soooo cool saying essentially the same thing I did in a few thousand less words, huh? "Oh, look at me, I'm T0mShane, people are actually going to read my post!"

:D I'm afraid of reading your posts because you're usually screaming at me in them.

Admittedly, the Jet's front office is not a pentagon-level think tank by any means, but I'm fairly certain anyone would contend that if we didn't at least look into Manning it would be flawed. Any team that isn't the Pats, Steelers, Lions, Packers etc. owe it to their franchise to at least inquire about Manning. If healthy, he gives us a two to three year window to win a super bowl and it's my contention that after winning a superbowl, I couldn't give a sh*t how our franchise looked. We suffered through 40 years of hell after our first win, I sure as hell could handle a few years of rebuilding if we won another one.

17 points in a game where the opposition was up 24-0 at halftime and decided to play it safe in the second half for the most part. And they could not get off the field in the end.

And a defense that missed multiple tackles that could have got them off the field.

I am not saying the offense was great but the defense was awful that day.

Calling a trade up to snag one of the bottom five quarterbacks in the league over the last three seasons one of the "bolder and smarter moves this franchise has made" is just about the dumbest thing I've ever read.

Someone please guess which alias this guy uses to post on Jetnation. I have several but those would be personal attacks and unfortunately, will get me banned.

Maybe it’s time, in light of their apparent decision to pursue Peyton Manning, for the Jets to put their true franchise philosophy into writing and hang it on the side of their training complex:

“The New York Jets: Committed to -- oooh, look at the shiny thing over there!"

Because you really have to wonder about this franchise today, as they entertain the idea of scrapping their last bold plan three years into the process for their next bold plan.

Who are the Jets? Does anyone know?

Do they know?

They went from the outspoken players’ coach who played to win the game, to the paranoid Bill Belichick clone who shredded practice reports, to the outspoken players’ coach who wasn’t going to kiss anyone’s rings.

....it's not even clear what the point of this statement is... are all coaches different? Yeah. Duh. WTF?

Or is it that the Jets apparently change their coaches too often?

Herm: 01-05

Mangini: 06-08

Rex: 09-11+

Oh my god, three coaches in just 11 years? Wowwwwwww that's very weird for an NFL team!

They went from the homegrown quarterback they invested years developing,

Who, Clemens? WTF? Is this article actually criticizing the Jets for not sticking with Kellen Clemens? Loss of credibility, much?

to the homegrown quarterback they invested years developing.

Pennington: 2000-2007.

Favre: 2008.

Sanchez: 2009-2011.

The Jets are the epitome of instability at QB! That's 3 QB's in just 11 years! Can anyone think of a team that has had more changes at the QB position in the past 11 years?

Again WTF?

Oh so we're playing the bringing up sh*t game? Well allow me to retort:

Charles Smith.

Oh so we're playing the bringing up sh*t game? Well allow me to retort:

Charles Smith.

Yeah becase why would a great defense like Pittsburgh dare stop the Jets juggernaut of an offense. So the offense got hot in the second half but in the end as usual the Jets defense could not get the big stop and idiot Shotty made some imbecilic calls at the goal line which probably cost us the game. But yeah its all Sanchez fault because he got blindsided and fumbled the ball.

Yeah becase why would a great defense like Pittsburgh dare stop the Jets juggernaut of an offense. So the offense got hot in the second half but in the end as usual the Jets defense could not get the big stop and idiot Shotty made some imbecilic calls at the goal line which probably cost us the game. But yeah its all Sanchez fault because he got blindsided and fumbled the ball.

I'm not really sure what the point is in debating that of all games. There is not a single person associated with the Jets, be it player or coach, that doesn't deserve to be absolutely trashed for that garbage first half. Sure it wasn't all just Sanchez, but he's far from blameless, and the very same can be said for any player or even any entire unit on the team that day.

I'm not really sure what the point is in debating that of all games. There is not a single person associated with the Jets, be it player or coach, that doesn't deserve to be absolutely trashed for that garbage first half. Sure it wasn't all just Sanchez, but he's far from blameless, and the very same can be said for any player or even any entire unit on the team that day.

BG the point is all QB's have gone through bad halves of football and thats why Im sick of constantly defending that situation. Plenty of bad playoff halves of football for Peyton Manning as well actully some horrid games over all a few of them vs our own Jets at various times

Bottom line is Manning knows the situation here and hes not coming. Bad attitudes and bad skill players and bad protection = No Peyton Manning and that you can pretty much bank on.

Archived