We should restructure Pace as well

GREENBEAN

The Jets with the highest cap figures are LB David Harris ($12 million), CB Darrelle Revis ($11.5 million), WR Santonio Holmes ($9.25 million), CB Antonio Cromartie ($8.25 million, Sanchez ($7.85 million), OLB Calvin Pace ($7.3 million) and LB Bart Scott ($5.95 million).

Calvin Pace has given no reason to be in the top five in cap figures. I wouldn't even be against an upgrade at the poicition. ( not that we need to create more needs than we have of course ) He does some things well, but his job was to be pressure to the Qb. He has failed IMO. Knock that cap number down at the minimum.

Hypothetically... does anyone know what the damage would be cap wise if the Jets did consider cutting Pace?

The Jets with the highest cap figures are LB David Harris ($12 million), CB Darrelle Revis ($11.5 million), WR Santonio Holmes ($9.25 million), CB Antonio Cromartie ($8.25 million, Sanchez ($7.85 million), OLB Calvin Pace ($7.3 million) and LB Bart Scott ($5.95 million).

Calvin Pace has given no reason to be in the top five in cap figures. I wouldn't even be against an upgrade at the poicition. ( not that we need to create more needs than we have of course ) He does some things well, but his job was to be pressure to the Qb. He has failed IMO. Knock that cap number down at the minimum.

Hypothetically... does anyone know what the damage would be cap wise if the Jets did consider cutting Pace?

Besides two gaping holes at OLB instead of just the one??

By all means.....restruction Pace and push even MORE $$$ into future years. Seriously guys, you can't keep robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Cut Pace? Dead money = $9,111,668 Cap cost of $1.7 million

Cut Cro? Piece 'o cake!.... Dead money = $17,750,000 Cap cost of $9.5 million (read...he ain't going anywhere)

source: nyjetscap.com

Besides two gaping holes at OLB instead of just the one??

I guess you only read the last line huh? Is there no ability to talk about something here without someone being completely literal and not being able to talk about a topic in it's abstract form for mere informational purposes? The real topic was restructuring an ineffective Pass rushing OLB. The last line was merely a question.

So to answer your sarcastic question....Yes...besides that.

Restructure him...out of Florham Park altogether. He's a JAG, even if he's paid like a superstar. Take the $1.7 million hit and get a player who at least contributes.

This is what i was looking for. 1.7 We should force him to take a pay cut or tell him he will be released. He is not the player we thought he was and hasn't been since he arrived here. I seriously have no idea why he hasn't been approached.

Exactly who plays well on the Jets D? Revis? That's one. Harris? He's overreated around here, but that is two. According to this board Devito can be replaced by a cheaper JAG and Pouha by Ellis who hasn't shown even a hint of ability to man the nose yet. Pace can be cut dead money be damned! Wilson is! a bust! Eric Smith can be traded for a bag of Cheetos! Leonhard is a dwarf who can be replaced by any number of FAs or 5th founders with no dropoff. Scott is washed up and being cut. Cro is inconsistent and not worth the money. How is the defense so good? Pace's job isn't just to rush the passer. It's to play OLB on one of the best defenses in football. He's done it for 3 years.

I guess you only read the last line huh? Is there no ability to talk about something here without someone being completely literal and not being able to talk about a topic in it's abstract form for mere informational purposes? The real topic was restructuring an ineffective Pass rushing OLB. The last line was merely a question.

So to answer your sarcastic question....Yes...besides that.

This is what i was looking for. 1.7 We should force him to take a pay cut or tell him he will be released. He is not the player we thought he was and hasn't been since he arrived here. I seriously have no idea why he hasn't been approached.

Please excuse my brevity, as I was typing from my phone, but I figured that response reflected my opinion well enough. We already have a glaring need at OLB, there is no reason to make an additional one, especially when Pace is not a detriment to the team. You do not cut a player simply for cap value, only to have zero options to upgrade. He clearly is overpaid, but we knew that from the second he signed the contract. He plays within himself, knows his role and was playing some pretty good football at stretches throughout last season; at least he's on the field for the majority of the game, unlike Scott.

For those calling him and Thomas jags: just let Westerman or another UDFA start at both OLB and see how porous our run defense is and how little pressure we generate. The fact of the matter is that Pace is a solid player and you do not cut solid players without a viable and cheaper alternative already on the team.

Sidenote: how do you know that he wasn't approached about restructuring?? Simply because he hasn't restructured, doesn't mean he hasn't been approached. He could very well have said, fine, release me and good luck having maybin and westerman man your OLB positions. I have no idea if he has or has not been, but his level of play doesn't warrant him being cut and instead of sacrificing future cap, I'd rather him just play out his contract and try to get a replacement behind him soon.

Exactly who plays well on the Jets D? Revis? That's one. Harris? He's overreated around here, but that is two. According to this board Devito can be replaced by a cheaper JAG and Pouha by Ellis who hasn't shown even a hint of ability to man the nose yet. Pace can be cut dead money be damned! Wilson is! a bust! Eric Smith can be traded for a bag of Cheetos! Leonhard is a dwarf who can be replaced by any number of FAs or 5th founders with no dropoff. Scott is washed up and being cut. Cro is inconsistent and not worth the money. How is the defense so good? Pace's job isn't just to rush the passer. It's to play OLB on one of the best defenses in football. He's done it for 3 years.

fact you are correct....but we do need some pash rush im ok with adding a guy but think we should probably keep him

You do know that he was restructured last year in exchange for his entire 2012 salary being guaranteed, right? Jets have zero leverage here to make threats. He can say FU, go ahead and cut me, and still collect his entire paycheck.

Please excuse my brevity, as I was typing from my phone, but I figured that response reflected my opinion well enough. We already have a glaring need at OLB, there is no reason to make an additional one, especially when Pace is not a detriment to the team. You do not cut a player simply for cap value, only to have zero options to upgrade. He clearly is overpaid, but we knew that from the second he signed the contract. He plays within himself, knows his role and was playing some pretty good football at stretches throughout last season; at least he's on the field for the majority of the game, unlike Scott.

For those calling him and Thomas jags: just let Westerman or another UDFA start at both OLB and see how porous our run defense is and how little pressure we generate. The fact of the matter is that Pace is a solid player and you do not cut solid players without a viable and cheaper alternative already on the team.

Sidenote: how do you know that he wasn't approached about restructuring?? Simply because he hasn't restructured, doesn't mean he hasn't been approached. He could very well have said, fine, release me and good luck having maybin and westerman man your OLB positions. I have no idea if he has or has not been, but his level of play doesn't warrant him being cut and instead of sacrificing future cap, I'd rather him just play out his contract and try to get a replacement behind him soon.

I actually agree with most of what you said, but remember I was really talking about a restructuring. The last line was merely a question out of curiosity.

You do know that he was restructured last year in exchange for his entire 2012 salary being guaranteed, right? Jets have zero leverage here to make threats. He can say FU, go ahead and cut me, and still collect his entire paycheck.

That's incorrect if I remember right

Restructure him...out of Florham Park altogether. He's a JAG, even if he's paid like a superstar. Take the $1.7 million hit and get a player who at least contributes.

7.3 is not superstar money. Better players are paid better. Pace is a damn good player who got paid like one and he's not going to be cut on the whims of fools and dumbos.

Oh... I haven't heard anything about a restructuring which leads me to believe he wasn't approached. That's obviously possible that I am wrong. They don't make it a point to tell me everything their thinking these days :(

He's impactless..... I made that word up just for this post.... just for YOU

While an excellent tale chap, it's essentially meaningless and not even true.

Pace is one of the better players on this D and someone they'll probably let play out. He'll most definitely be here this upcoming season.

That's incorrect if I remember right

In the immortal words of Roger Clemens...you've 'mis-remembered'.

On July 29, 2011 Pace renegotiated his contract to defer $2 million of salary in 2011 and 2012 until 2013 in return for a full guarantee of his 2011 and 2012 base salaries. Updated base salaries are $855,000(2011), $3,085,000(2012), and $5,810,000(2013)

source: http://nyjetscap.com/calvinpace.html

Oh... I haven't heard anything about a restructuring which leads me to believe he wasn't approached. That's obviously possible that I am wrong. They don't make it a point to tell me everything their thinking these days :(

You should put a call in about that. You're probably just not giving out enough handies to the front office anymore.

Pace, Scott or Cromartie are not going to give up guaranteed money. The only way to restructure a lower salary would be to guarantee more salary in a future year, just like they did with Sanchez, guaranteeing his 2013 salary, which was not guaranteed before.

I don't think anyone wants to be stuck with Pace and Scott next year so leave their contract as is have them contribute as much as they can and dump their high salaries in 2013 saving like $15.6 million.

You’re not going to pay $7-8 million for a non-player so cutting them makes no sense in 2012.

+1

just cause a guy isn't a 20 sack a year player that must mean he sucks.

While an excellent tale chap, it's essentially meaningless and not even true.

Pace is one of the better players on this D and someone they'll probably let play out. He'll most definitely be here this upcoming season.

Just so all is clear, I'm not saying cut Pace. I'm exploring the potential reasons why he has not been approached for a pay cut. Do you feel he is worthy of being top five on the team in salary? I don't

In the immortal words of Roger Clemens...you've 'mis-remembered'.

On July 29, 2011 Pace renegotiated his contract to defer $2 million of salary in 2011 and 2012 until 2013 in return for a full guarantee of his 2011 and 2012 base salaries. Updated base salaries are $855,000(2011), $3,085,000(2012), and $5,810,000(2013)

source: http://nyjetscap.com/calvinpace.html

hmmmmmmmmm

Just so all is clear, I'm not saying cut Pace. I'm exploring the potential reasons why he has not been approached for a pay cut. Do you feel he is worthy of being top five on the team in salary? I don't

Let me say that you are correct in your thinking. Does anyone think that Eric Smith shouldn't take a pay cut? No, of course not but does he want to, no as well.

The fact is the Jets have leverage over Smith; take a pay cut or we'll release you. Smith knows the Jets will release him because his salary in not guaranteed and he is not worth $2 million. So he will have to decide if he can make more on the open market then staying under a new contract salary the team is offering.

Unfortunately the Jets have no leverage over Pace's contract. Would you take a pay cut, even if you didn't deserve the money, if you didn't have to? What leverage do the Jets have over Pace they can't threaten to release him, he'll be like fine I still get paid and I'll double dip signing with another team, assuming there is no offset in his contract.

This is the same reason the team didn't release Holmes their stuck so why bother approaching Pace or Scott for a pay cut. Like I said earlier the only way to get 2012 relief is to guarantee lost money in future years and the Jets want to dump their contracts in 2013 for the highest savings possible.

If they could trade either of these players fine but no team will pay the entire salary in 2012, so the Jets would have to pick up the rest. I doubt another team would be willing to take on enough salary to make it worth it or the Jets would have to include a draft pick to get a favorable deal done, something they should not do.

Scott and Pace can contribute this year, Thomas is unlikely to return, but if he does he's gone in 2013 as well. You can't lose three starting LBs in one year so the Jets will draft guys and bring in some FA this year to help the transition to next year when both Pace, Scott and maybe Thomas are gone. They can also use the 2013 draft and FA to replace them as well.

We would all like to see these guys take a pay cut but realistically the best course of action is to stick with their contracts in 2012 and move on next year.

Let me say that you are correct in your thinking. Does anyone think that Eric Smith shouldn't take a pay cut? No, of course not but does he want to, no as well.

The fact is the Jets have leverage over Smith; take a pay cut or we'll release you. Smith knows the Jets will release him because his salary in not guaranteed and he is not worth $2 million. So he will have to decide if he can make more on the open market then staying under a new contract salary the team is offering.

Unfortunately the Jets have no leverage over Pace's contract. Would you take a pay cut, even if you didn't deserve the money, if you didn't have to? What leverage do the Jets have over Pace they can't threaten to release him, he'll be like fine I still get paid and I'll double dip signing with another team, assuming there is no offset in his contract.

This is the same reason the team didn't release Holmes their stuck so why bother approaching Pace or Scott for a pay cut. Like I said earlier the only way to get 2012 relief is to guarantee lost money in future years and the Jets want to dump their contracts in 2013 for the highest savings possible.

If they could trade either of these players fine but no team will pay the entire salary in 2012, so the Jets would have to pick up the rest. I doubt another team would be willing to take on enough salary to make it worth it or the Jets would have to include a draft pick to get a favorable deal done, something they should not do.

Scott and Pace can contribute this year, Thomas is unlikely to return, but if he does he's gone in 2013 as well. You can't lose three starting LBs in one year so the Jets will draft guys and bring in some FA this year to help the transition to next year when both Pace, Scott and maybe Thomas are gone. They can also use the 2013 draft and FA to replace them as well.

We would all like to see these guys take a pay cut but realistically the best course of action is to stick with their contracts in 2012 and move on next year.

Makes sense. And to answer the question if I would take a pay cut when I didn't have to..... No. No i would not. :D

Archived