Jets May Not Target Pass Rusher In Draft Till Round Five

denden29

Yup. BG needs the offseason equivalent of getting laid right now... ******* guy is unhinged.

Bah, maybe you two need to lighten up, it should be fairly obvious that one was quite intentional. It was just a good opportunity to poop on this teams horrible job of addressing the two premier positions in the NFL since Tanny took over. I certainly don't believe this "article" has anything legitimate to it. That said, given the complete lack of attention paid to the pass rush over the past 6+ years outside of 1 pick, I can't exactly say I'm confident the Jets will be finding a legit pass rusher come draft time.

If the pick is Floyd I will throw up. BTW I would think you should cover Gronk and Henderson with corners, not with Safeties.

+1. I was thinking the same thing. 6' 2" or 6' 3" cover guy. Someone a tad too slow for most teams likings at cb. A larger dwight lowery or a slower cromartie with better hips. But fast enough to keep up with these monster tight ends. The jets 2 current safties are run stuffers. If the jets want to win the division, you must try and find a way to stop gronk and the pats. Imo, the jets will take a corner with the first 2 picks and this place will lose it

+1. I was thinking the same thing. 6' 2" or 6' 3" cover guy. Someone a tad too slow for most teams likings at cb. A larger dwight lowery or a slower cromartie with better hips. But fast enough to keep up with these monster tight ends. The jets 2 current safties are run stuffers. If the jets want to win the division, you must try and find a way to stop gronk and the pats. Imo, the jets will take a corner with the first 2 picks and this place will lose it

This would only be fine if the CB taken was Dre Kirkpatrick. This kid could be the future at FS for us if we had the balls to convert our first rounder...

This would only be fine if the CB taken was Dre Kirkpatrick. This kid could be the future at FS for us if we had the balls to convert our first rounder...

I agree with both of you guys. I could see Kirkpatrick at 16 and the Jets getting killed here and in the papers, lol! However Kirkpatrick would be perfect to play the slot against those TE's. Everyone talks about picking guys like Floyd and [layers like him higher and higher in the draft to attack the seems like the pats and packers do - but no one seems to grasp that stopping that stuff is a matter of taking more and more corners with some size and speed who can cover the seems better. Stopping the Pats in the 2010 playoffs was a model. Rex took 11 DB's and used them all.

I could see the Jets waiting to go after a pass rusher, depends what they think of the guys who are available. All of the guys who will be taken in the first few rounds have pretty big time question marks, if they didn't then they would be off the board by then. Even guys like Ingram and Upshaw who most fans hope are available are both short, played on stacked defenses(overall for Alabama or in South Carolina's case with defensive ends), and didn't produce at an elite level for an extended period of time. Plus Upshaw tested out terribly athletically, doesn't change direction well and isn't explosive at all. Not that measurables are everything, but I think there's a minimum level of athleticism necessary to be successful in the NFL. Wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they passed, plus there's a chance their two starting OLB's and third down pass rusher are on the roster already. I'd probably rather go for a Curry, Branch, Perry type in a trade down or trade up from the second rounder than either of those two.

I would say that the Jets board could have RT, WR TE, CB, RB and DE all ahead of OLB.

Why the **** would they have a TE ahead of OLB????? The TEs this year suck, none will be taken in the 1st and no blocking TE will be taken before the 5th or 6th.

And we don't need a DE, CB, WR or RB (outside TRich) more then a OLB.

Why the **** would they have a TE ahead of OLB????? The TEs this year suck, none will be taken in the 1st and no blocking TE will be taken before the 5th or 6th.

And we don't need a DE, CB, WR or RB (outside TRich) more then a OLB.

I didnt say in the first, I just said that I could see them picking a TE before they pick a OLB. We could use an OLB - but not nearly as much as you seem to think we do. None of the OLB's in this draft are complete players.

I didnt say in the first, I just said that I could see them picking a TE before they pick a OLB. We could use an OLB - but not nearly as much as you seem to think we do. None of the OLB's in this draft are complete players.

I didn't say the 1st either. We shouldn't be getting a TE this year before the 6th and we better draft a OLB before then.

not if cumberland is healthy. what a blow that was. the kid looked great last summer

Very True. Hopefully he is and the Jets can take a TE in the 6th.

Right after they take their first OLB in the 5th.

Not if the offense plays the way they did last year.

Thats why we need am impact WR in this draft desperately, imho. Schilens should help with the underneath stuff. He is talented - but perhaps injury prone. Randle fits Sanchez better than Floyd does as he catches poorly thrown passes well. Hill is a great deep threat. Either one would help our offense get better.

Thats why we need am impact WR in this draft desperately, imho. Schilens should help with the underneath stuff. He is talented - but perhaps injury prone. Randle fits Sanchez better than Floyd does as he catches poorly thrown passes well. Hill is a great deep threat. Either one would help our offense get better.

I wouldn't mind getting a WR in the second or third round. I like Floyd at 16, Randle or Hill in the 2nd and Streeter or Toon in the 3rd. I'd be happy if we got an OLB and WR with our first two picks.

2 things

one.. who is this guy...

two

Tony Pauline @TonyPauline

@Steiny31 I never said the Jets were unlikely to choose a pass rusher in round 1. Not even close. Said they are unlikey to take Upshaw

so.. chill people, its still prolly a pass rusher

Saying they prob wont take Upshaw is still going to get a 3 page thread of Jet fans bitching lol

Bah, maybe you two need to lighten up, it should be fairly obvious that one was quite intentional. It was just a good opportunity to poop on this teams horrible job of addressing the two premier positions in the NFL since Tanny took over. I certainly don't believe this "article" has anything legitimate to it. That said, given the complete lack of attention paid to the pass rush over the past 6+ years outside of 1 pick, I can't exactly say I'm confident the Jets will be finding a legit pass rusher come draft time.

Me and JIF two of the last people on this site that need to lighten up.

You gobbled up troll food like Crusher gobbles up bacon, and CTM gobbles up penis.

Jets May Not Target Pass Rusher In Draft Till Round Five

by Dennis Agapito on April 2, 2012

in Draft, Jet News

nfldraft1.jpg

It has been thought the Jets would target a pass rushing linebacker early in the 2012 draft. Melvin Ingram (South Carolina), Courtney Upshaw (Alabama) or Andre Branch (Clemson) are considered favorites at this position to be chosen within the first two rounds, but some sources have indicated this might not be the case.

According to Sports Illustrated draft analyst Tony Pauline’s web-site, TFY Draft Insider, the Jets will not be targeting a pass rusher until the 5th round pick #154:

There’s a lot of speculation in mock draft’s around the internet that the New York Jets will use the 16th pick to select
Courtney Upshaw
of Alabama. Sources tell me that while the Jets would consider it, the way it stands today the team is unlikely to pull the trigger and choose Upshaw. The word in the scouting world is the Jets will target a pass rushing linebacker in the later (5th) rounds, similar to the way they targeted wide receivers during the same part of last April’s draft.

The acquisition of Tim Tebow may have changed the Jets drafting priorities or the team feels content with Bryan Thomas, Aaron Maybin and Ricky Sapp playing opposite Calvin Pace.

Looks like the Jets may settle on more of a project pass rusher concentrating instead on other positions earlier in the draft.

LOL, this is a direct contraction below.

2 things

one.. who is this guy...

two

Tony Pauline @TonyPauline

@Steiny31 I never said the Jets were unlikely to choose a pass rusher in round 1. Not even close. Said they are unlikey to take Upshaw

so.. chill people, its still prolly a pass rusher

Immediate impact pass rushers aren't found in the 5th or later rounds, so any team that has a draft strategy to go after them late are filled with a bunch of idiots.

So, assuming Rex & Tanny & Clink aren't a bunch of idiots, we should take it that Pauline was misquoted.

I wouldn't mind getting a WR in the second or third round. I like Floyd at 16, Randle or Hill in the 2nd and Streeter or Toon in the 3rd. I'd be happy if we got an OLB and WR with our first two picks.

I agree, except I dont like Floyd. Just a personal opinion. But I think if we can get OLB and WR in any order of the first three rounds I will be happy. There will still be great prospects at OLB in the 3rd too, just like there will be great WR prospects in the 3rd too, imho.

Archived