Jets May Not Target Pass Rusher In Draft Till Round Five

denden29

Jets May Not Target Pass Rusher In Draft Till Round Five

by Dennis Agapito on April 2, 2012

in Draft, Jet News

nfldraft1.jpg

It has been thought the Jets would target a pass rushing linebacker early in the 2012 draft. Melvin Ingram (South Carolina), Courtney Upshaw (Alabama) or Andre Branch (Clemson) are considered favorites at this position to be chosen within the first two rounds, but some sources have indicated this might not be the case.

According to Sports Illustrated draft analyst Tony Pauline’s web-site, TFY Draft Insider, the Jets will not be targeting a pass rusher until the 5th round pick #154:

There’s a lot of speculation in mock draft’s around the internet that the New York Jets will use the 16th pick to select
Courtney Upshaw
of Alabama. Sources tell me that while the Jets would consider it, the way it stands today the team is unlikely to pull the trigger and choose Upshaw. The word in the scouting world is the Jets will target a pass rushing linebacker in the later (5th) rounds, similar to the way they targeted wide receivers during the same part of last April’s draft.

The acquisition of Tim Tebow may have changed the Jets drafting priorities or the team feels content with Bryan Thomas, Aaron Maybin and Ricky Sapp playing opposite Calvin Pace.

Looks like the Jets may settle on more of a project pass rusher concentrating instead on other positions earlier in the draft.

I don't mind if they don't use their 1st on a passrusher but they better use their ******* 2nd then.

Come on, don't be silly. You just don't understand that the Jets know a secret that the rest of the NFL hasn't figured out yet. It's that QB and pass rush are the most overrated positions in all of the NFL, and really are completely unneeded. I mean come on, since when has a team with a QB and pass rush gotten anywhere? It's a waste of time even trying to address those useless and easy-to-fill positions before day 3.

What a dumb article. May not? Speculative bullsh*t is speculative bullsh*t...Guess Tebow headlines can only last so long during the offseason.

That said, Barron in the first snitches.

Assuming he gets past the 'Boys at number 14.

This article is just weak on all accounts. They're basically saying that the Jets will ignore their draft board regarding pass-rushers in the first four rounds just so they can wait for one in the second half of the draft? It makes no sense. If say one of the perry's fell to their second pick for whatever reason, this article would lead us to believe we'd pass on them just because.

If anything I think it's an indication they might be targeting Glenn or if someone like a Reiff falls ya know. We'll see, but this article seems silly.

Come on, don't be silly. You just don't understand that the Jets know a secret that the rest of the NFL hasn't figured out yet. It's that QB and pass rush are the most overrated positions in all of the NFL, and really are completely unneeded. I mean come on, since when has a team with a QB and pass rush gotten anywhere? It's a waste of time even trying to address those useless and easy-to-fill positions before day 3.

Only possible explanation I can think of is Tannenbaum is scared of Gholston version 2.0. Which is a chickensh** reason not to pull the trigger. I hope this is just a smokescreen.

Only possible explanation I can think of is Tannenbaum is scared of Gholston version 2.0. Which is a chickensh** reason not to pull the trigger. I hope this is just a smokescreen.

If that's the reasoning, given Tanny's track record I'm not sure we'll ever again see anything outside of an OL, DL or CB in the first 4 rounds as long as he's GM. I certainly hope it's a smokescreen, but given Gholston was the only real effort they've made to even try to find a pass rusher in Tanny's 6+ years on the job, I'm not so confident it is.

If that's the reasoning, given Tanny's track record I'm not sure we'll ever again see anything outside of an OL, DL or CB in the first 4 rounds as long as he's GM. I certainly hope it's a smokescreen, but given Gholston was the only real effort they've made to even try to find a pass rusher in Tanny's 6+ years on the job, I'm not so confident it is.

I can maybe get the angle that Rex can generate pass-rush without a supreme talent on the outside. I remember back in '09 slow-a$$ David Harris and Bart Scott were able to get pressure on A-gap blitzes, and in 2010 getting 5 sacks on the Patriots in the postseason. So obviously Rex has the ability to make things happen with some spare parts.

But it sure would be nice to find ourselves a DeMarcus Ware one of these days and make Rex's job a lot easier.

This is silly.

There are probably 5 people who know what the Jets draft board looks like. Woody, Mike T, Bradway, Clinkscale, and maybe Rex if he promises to keep his mouth shut. Some how I doubt that one of them sat down with Pauline and dropped a secret that is guarded tighter then area 51.

I can maybe get the angle that Rex can generate pass-rush without a supreme talent on the outside. I remember back in '09 slow-a$$ David Harris and Bart Scott were able to get pressure on A-gap blitzes, and in 2010 getting 5 sacks on the Patriots in the postseason. So obviously Rex has the ability to make things happen with some spare parts.

But it sure would be nice to find ourselves a DeMarcus Ware one of these days and make Rex's job a lot easier.

That's the thing, as great of a job as Rex has done with what he has been given, there's no doubt there's a difference between scheming pressure and having a guy who can generate it on his own. A top pass rusher changes the entire complexion of your defense and how the opposing offense has to prepare for and play against you. The truth is with the Jets current D, while Rex is often very good at staying one step ahead of the opposition, whenever an offense correctly identifies the Jets alignment and where the pressure is coming from, you're almost certain to watch a QB who has all day in the pocket, because the Jets players simply can't beat their man far more often than not. The fact that a previously monumental bust like Aaron Maybin brought an element to the Jets pass rush that had been completely unseen for 5 years really speaks volumes there.

I'll be happy as long as the 1st two picks include a passrusher and not a QB, TE, FB, P, K or CB and not a S with the 1st pick unless it's a trade down.

I dont doubt that someone told him that. But the reporters sources are lying to him on purpose. This is misinformation time of year. If we remove all the pass rushers from the board, there's not alot of picks that make sense at 16. Cornerback?

You're actually taking this pos article for serious.

You need to loosen up a bit.

Didnt you hear? We traded for Tebow.

Isnt Maybin our pass rusher? sh*t, he did pretty damn well in limited action last year. I know many talk about his lack of coverage skills, but we dont need him to cover, we need him to pass rush.

I like getting a FS in the first round and a OLB/DE in the 2nd, a WR in the 3rd and 4th and mixing it up in the 6th etc.

Brian Thomas is pretty good and Maybin is a very good rusher, on top of the fact that he has a tendency to create turnovers. Whats the point of putting a 1st round tender on him if we didnt believe that?

Am I looking at this wrong?

I dont doubt that someone told him that. But the reporters sources are lying to him on purpose. This is misinformation time of year. If we remove all the pass rushers from the board, there's not alot of picks that make sense at 16. Cornerback?

Are you joking? CORNERBACK?

Here's a more sensible choice that won't be 4th on the fn depth chart:

MarkBarron_display_image.jpg

ok so alot of Mocks have Barron going to DAL. If he's not there, all LB and pass rushers are off the board? that leaves OL and WR as possible needs? Michael Floyd? Oh please no.

1. Nobody could possibly know this.

2. If we all root for the one team NFL that plans in March how to use each of the upcoming draft picks with that degree of closure, then we're ****ed.

Long story short? This article is doodie.

You're actually taking this pos article for serious.

You need to loosen up a bit.

Didnt you hear? We traded for Tebow.

Yup. BG needs the offseason equivalent of getting laid right now... ******* guy is unhinged.

Lol niiiiiiice

Hell no unless we trade down, Barron isn't worth a top 20 pick. We can get a better player at 16 and draft a S in the 2nd or 3rd. Not Smith maybe Trumaine Johnson, Brandon Taylor or George Iloka.

Ed Reed would have a hard time playing S for us with the amount of time the QB has. Passrusher is a must.

I've been saying from the beginning that the Jets wont take OLB in the first round. Pitt lands their guys later in the draft. Besides Suggs Baltimore did too and the Pats as well. OLB is such a gamble that none of these guys ever hold a high enough grade to take them. Add into that the fact that the Jets more than any other team generate most of their pressure from blitzing DB's and it makes no sense to take one in the first round. The problem with the pass rush last year was that the defense was on the field too much. Now corner is interesting and perhaps even more possible than OLB imo. I would say that the Jets board could have RT, WR TE, CB, RB and DE all ahead of OLB.

ok so alot of Mocks have Barron going to DAL. If he's not there, all LB and pass rushers are off the board? that leaves OL and WR as possible needs? Michael Floyd? Oh please no.

If the pick is Floyd I will throw up. BTW I would think you should cover Gronk and Henderson with corners, not with Safeties.

Archived