Is this a possible 3 round haul for the Jets?

JustInFudge

I'm not as big on Massie as I was...very talented but there's a but there that I'm not outing a finger on.

Iloka will go in the second since he's the only other safety really worth talking about...but I really do like this player.

Upshaw I change my mind every three seconds so I'll just say I'd be fine with him if Rex stamped his approval.

I'd rather get Mitchell Schwartz, him with those two would be a good start.

To bad we wasted our 4th rounder we could have gotten a RB or WR.

Feel like Schwartz is a reach. I'm hoping we use our extra late round picks to move and grab some talent we could use.

I'm not as big on Massie as I was...very talented but there's a but there that I'm not outing a finger on.

Iloka will go in the second since he's the only other safety really worth talking about...but I really do like this player.

Upshaw I change my mind every three seconds so I'll just say I'd be fine with him if Rex stamped his approval.

You think IIoka will be gone? Hmph? K. Marcus McNutt?

I like Upshaw. Think he'll be great at the next level. Most violent player Saban's ever coached? Sign me up. Just think he'll be do everything well. Maybe he's not great in coverage. So what? Nobody complains about Woodley not being great in coverage and I think he could be just like him.

I have been thinking about a scenario where we take DeCastro and Branch or your boy Perry or Curry in the 2nd. But feel like if the Jets did made that decision, Upshaw would have a HOF career.

Upshaw worries me because he's so limited athletically, both in terms of explosion and movement skills. Obviously good at playing football, but I wonder if he has that minimum level of athleticism necessary to succeed in the NFL. Wouldn't be the first guy who was good at the sport but couldn't make it in the NFL because he's not athletic enough.

Feel like Schwartz is a reach. I'm hoping we use our extra late round picks to move and grab some talent we could use.

You think IIoka will be gone? Hmph? K. Marcus McNutt?

I like Upshaw. Think he'll be great at the next level. Most violent player Saban's ever coached? Sign me up. Just think he'll be do everything well. Maybe he's not great in coverage. So what? Nobody complains about Woodley not being great in coverage and I think he could be just like him.

I have been thinking about a scenario where we take DeCastro and Branch or your boy Perry or Curry in the 2nd. But feel like if the Jets did made that decision, Upshaw would have a HOF career.

If Perry fell to 47 and the Jets didn't take him then someone somewhere has gone mad. I don't see either him or Curry making it to 47. I think teams would be crazy passing on Perry 46 times altogether...

Personally any of the big three Alabama defenders (Kirkpatrick is a distance forf to me) are fine with me in the first. All three can ball with anyone on an actual football field, and two of them workout well enough to go in the first anyway.

Yeah I think Massie might be a bit of a reach at that spot. I think there are a handful of really solid OL that can be had in rd.3 (and some excellent value in rd. 4...dammit!). Iloka is intriguing but safety isn't really a huge need w/Landry on board. If Barron were to fall somehow, he'd be a steal in the second. otherwise my three rounds would look like this

1. Upshaw/Ingram

2.Alshon Jeffery WR

3.Ladarius green TE

If we find a 4. Markus Zusevics..Nate Potter...Amini Solatolu...Tim Tebow

2.Alshon Jeffery WR

No. Fat.

Massie is my favorite pick of the 3 fwiw.

<3 u me too

You know who's becoming more and more interesting? Andre muhfckin Branch.

Right now my ideal haul is something like:

Barron

Branch

James Brown/Bernard Pierce

Replace Barron with DeCastro and I'd poop myself.

I hope we don't take a TE until the 5th or 6th and there's no reason to draft Green, we need a better blocker.

Agreed.

No. Fat.

Dominated the SEC with a bunch of QBs who suck in college more than Sanchez sucks in the pros. An Ozzie Newsome type pick in the 2nd, and exactly the kind of WR this team needs anyway.

<3 u me too

Closest to a prototype amongst the three, so he's got the best upside. The mosty likeable pick amongst the three. Iloka could be that but he tackles like Kerry Rhodes.

Replace Barron with DeCastro and I'd poop myself.

You replace Upshaw with DeCastro!

Agreed.

Gave a double take when I saw the Green pick too. The only TE worth picking before the 4th is Fleener anyway. Fleener's a more complete player than given credit for, because he can block and you can thrown 20 pounds on his frame no problem. Should have signed Bennett from the Cowboys but Tannenbaum was either sleeping or being smart.

Fleener will be gone by our 3rd rd. pick. That's why I'd go with Ladarius Green. He's a 6'6" 240lb beast with geat hands and good speed

I don't see the Jets drafting a TE before the sixth round. I think they'll pick from among Baker, Cumberland, Smith and one or two UDFAs to throw out there with Keller. Plus Tebow may steal some snaps at a spot other than QB. Plus more FB sets with Sparano. Plus mega other needs as fully discussed in these forums.

Dominated the SEC with a bunch of QBs who suck in college more than Sanchez sucks in the pros. An Ozzie Newsome type pick in the 2nd, and exactly the kind of WR this team needs anyway.

He's fat. Plenty of WR's who have dominated the SEC dont pan out to be good in the NFL. And they werent fat. Plus, he only had 1 dominating season and he's a junior. And he's fat.

Closest to a prototype amongst the three, so he's got the best upside. The mosty likeable pick amongst the three. Iloka could be that but he tackles like Kerry Rhodes.

Thats why he's a 3rd pick no?

You replace Upshaw with DeCastro!

I'd be fine with that.

Fleener will be gone by our 3rd rd. pick. That's why I'd go with Ladarius Green. He's a 6'6" 240lb beast with geat hands and good speed

We have at least one TE that can catch and probably two. Mentioned Fleener because he's the only complete TE who will go in the first 3 rounds.

We already have a catching TE so we don't need another and Green should be around 255 not 237. He might be drafted in the 3rd because everyone is going to be reaching for the next great TE but I don't see one in this years draft.

We have at least one TE that can catch and probably two. Mentioned Fleener because he's the only complete TE who will go in the first 3 rounds.

We have a catching TE with our 4th round pick: Timmy. Would anyone really be shocked? I can see it possibly

ive had trouble predicting the Jets for several years. but I just can't wrap my head around them passing on Upshaw. He's perfect for this defense. a day 1 instant starter with basically no bust factor. barring injury, theres no way Upshaw isn't a NFL starter for years.

. hes the anti-gholston. awesome football with less than great workouts. isn't that what everyone wants? or they can take Mercilus aka Gholston part 2. 1 year of production, no experience at LB and workout demon.

ive had trouble predicting the Jets for several years. but I just can't wrap my head around them passing on Upshaw. He's perfect for this defense. a day 1 instant starter with basically no bust factor. barring injury, theres no way Upshaw isn't a NFL starter for years.

. hes the anti-gholston. awesome football with less than great workouts. isn't that what everyone wants? or they can take Mercilus aka Gholston part 2. 1 year of production, no experience at LB and workout demon.

I dont think the years as a starter are as important as what the given prospect has around them. I never see Upshaw beating a double team. I never saw Gholston beat one in college either. I see Mercilus beat them on several occasions. Thats why the Dumervilles, Von Millers, Suggs, Harrisons, and Wares almost never come with other defenders that are high prospects. They are surrounded by subpar talent and have to learn how to play at a higher level in college. Even though Ware played for Troy, he was double teamed all the time and still got to the QB, Also the defensive backs make a difference too. Upshaw is surrounded by TONS of talent, that alone doesnt make him undraftable - but look at his highlights and tell me where you see him beating a double team. As a matter of a fact most of Upshaws plays either no one is blocking him or a HB blocking him. Hightower gets there faster then him on highlights so he is not some guy who is going to get off the ball in a flash either. Upshaw is going to be a bust, imho.

I never see Upshaw beating a double team.

Upshaw is going to be a bust, imho.

upshaw doesn't draw double teams so it's kind of a hard comparison to make. as you point out there's too many other players on that team to put a double on Upshaw. Gholston did beat doubles, fwiw. what upshaw does is set the edge, shed blockers and make tackles. He contributes maybe 6-8 sacks a year. not a double digit guy and i agree Mercilus has more pass rush upside. He's also got more downside standing up.

I can't over analyze this thing. I went to Mobile, I saw the practices... what I saw was an extremely nasty football player. A dude who loved contact. he was just mean. He was probably the best south defender besides Coples. He looked better in drills than Ingram. he exploded into the blockers.

now we can fast forward a couple months and hes had a rough set of workouts. I don't know if that's enough to pass on him. Workouts are important. but being a nasty football player is probably more important. It should also be noted Rex, Bradway and Tanny were also all at senior bowl practices. If they saw something different than me.. fair enough. I would imagine Upshaw would appeal to Rex like how JOhn Conner appealed to rex. a big hitter.

upshaw doesn't draw double teams so it's kind of a hard comparison to make. as you point out there's too many other players on that team to put a double on Upshaw. Gholston did beat doubles, fwiw. what upshaw does is set the edge, shed blockers and make tackles. He contributes maybe 6-8 sacks a year. not a double digit guy and i agree Mercilus has more pass rush upside. He's also got more downside standing up.

I can't over analyze this thing. I went to Mobile, I saw the practices... what I saw was an extremely nasty football player. A dude who loved contact. he was just mean. He was probably the best south defender besides Coples. He looked better in drills than Ingram. he exploded into the blockers.

now we can fast forward a couple months and hes had a rough set of workouts. I don't know if that's enough to pass on him. Workouts are important. but being a nasty football player is probably more important. It should also be noted Rex, Bradway and Tanny were also all at senior bowl practices. If they saw something different than me.. fair enough. I would imagine Upshaw would appeal to Rex like how JOhn Conner appealed to rex. a big hitter.

Fair enough. That is a good analysis. We have similar opinions, I think where we are different is that I just want someone more athletic at 16. Someone with the potential to dominate and be on the field every snap. No matter what position he plays. Maybe that is what Upshaw is. Maybe I'm overvaluing the workouts and the size thing. Seeing as he is a tiny bit short for my liking. But you make a good point - attitude makes up for that stuff.

I think where we are different is that I just want someone more athletic at 16.

well his height isn't gonna change but i wonder why he was working out at almost 280. he should be working out at 255 or 260. for a guy 280 to run a 4.7 is actually really good (10 more pounds and he's fletcher cox).

the other side of the coin of him having so much talent around him is that he was arguably the best defender on the best defense in the country. he was the DMVP of the national champ game, not kirk or barron or hightower. In general the Jets have been SEC-ing it up this offseason. first landry, then tebow... i'd be happy with any of the bama prospects at 16.

well his height isn't gonna change but i wonder why he was working out at almost 280. he should be working out at 255 or 260. for a guy 280 to run a 4.7 is actually really good (10 more pounds and he's fletcher cox).

the other side of the coin of him having so much talent around him is that he was arguably the best defender on the best defense in the country. he was the DMVP of the national champ game, not kirk or barron or hightower. In general the Jets have been SEC-ing it up this offseason. first landry, then tebow... i'd be happy with any of the bama prospects at 16.

Yeah its a red flag that he got up to 280, imho. Scouts can tell if you are getting the most out of your frame no matter what. Might as well go in lighter and run a faster time. I don't value the 40 at all though. Football is played within 10 yards, not 40. The other thing that bothers me is that Upshaw just doesnt seem to run right - its like he is always on his toes or something. Also, I cant remember the last pass rushing phenom to come from a national championship team. Not to say that there cant be a first - but most of the pass rush from those really good defenses come from interior guys taking up the double teams and good coverage, and also a good offense keeping them fresh.

Also, I cant remember the last pass rushing phenom to come from a national championship team.

i cant remember the last LSU Defensive lineman that lived up to hype but that's not stopping the Michael Brockers train.

i generally agree and if you are looking at upshaw to be a phenom he will dissapoint. He's basically Bryan Thomas, without the 4 year waiting period where he learned to feed himself and play linebacker. hes not demarcus ware. people need to remember they are picking at 16 not 2 overall. There's a reason why Von Miller went that high. there aren't any obvious Vons in this draft. and if there were they wouldn't be available at 16.

i cant remember the last LSU Defensive lineman that lived up to hype but that's not stopping the Michael Brockers train.

i generally agree and if you are looking at upshaw to be a phenom he will dissapoint. He's basically Bryan Thomas, without the 4 year waiting period where he learned to feed himself and play linebacker. hes not demarcus ware. people need to remember they are picking at 16 not 2 overall. There's a reason why Von Miller went that high. there aren't any obvious Vons in this draft. and if there were they wouldn't be available at 16.

Yeah I think we are saying the same thing and I would be very happy with Bryan Thomas. I think Thomas was and is a good player.

I love Brockers btw. So I guess I contradict myself. lol

Here's my thing with Upshaw. Jets fans want to bring in a pass rusher, and the easiest spot to find that is the OLB position which is why OLB is considered a need. But as you point out, Upshaw's not the kind of guy who's going to be a pass rusher. In fact, he's comparable to the guy who he'd be replacing and fans think needs to be upgraded. Now that ignores the fact that the FO and coaching staff may not be looking for a pass rusher, but it's still a concern.

Plus, if Upshaw comes in his upside is probably that of an average pass rusher, maybe above average in a best case scenario, who sets the edge in the run game. He's probably not doing anything in coverage, which FWIW is one of Thomas's best assets. So really, he's a poor man's Bryan Thomas in my eyes. I just think a guy like that is the type of player you take in the second round and figure there's a good chance he's a solid starter, but won't be special because he can only contribute in so many facets of the game and excel in one of them. Personally, I'd like more upside in my first round pick.

Not sure where he fits in this year either, there's a good chance Thomas holds him off because he's more experienced and better in coverage, Maybin's going to be on the field on third downs, I don't see him starting over Pace...Just would not be my favorite pick. I get that he's tough and mean and a good football player, but he's physically limited and doesn't have a whole lot of upside. The Vernon Gholston pick really has everybody out of whack I think, it's almost like it's seen as a good thing that Upshaw's got bad measurables.

We already have a catching TE so we don't need another and Green should be around 255 not 237. He might be drafted in the 3rd because everyone is going to be reaching for the next great TE but I don't see one in this years draft.

If we extend Keller for any length of time, Green becomes redundant, I agree. But he was awesome at catching ducks and jump balls--really had no decent QB and still was fairly dominant. His blocking is underrated as well and he's got the frame to put on another 20lbs. his measurables are top-notch and he's dangerous after the catch. He's got better hands than any TE in the draft or on our team currently. With our QB's, his ability to contort his body and catch off-target passes could be huge for us. I see him as a sleeper with huge upside.

Archived