OT: What makes a great band?

jetswin

...How about a little music discussion for a slow friday.

Tons of bands or artists are considered great, but I think it's not so easy identifying three great albums by a group.

For example The Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers...three GREAT albums. On the other side Pink Floyd, IMHO they only have two great albums, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here. Let's see your choices for groups backed up by at least three great releases.

You've never heard of this band but I'm putting them out there anyway because they're my favorite band.

SR-71

Listen to some of their songs:

"They All Fall Down"

"Kick Me When I'm High"

"Non-Toxic"

"Another Night Alone"

"All-American"

For example The Rolling Stones, Exile on Main Street, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers...three GREAT albums. On the other side Pink Floyd, IMHO they only have two great albums, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here. Let's see your choices for groups backed up by at least three great releases.

I'm sorry....but...it's taking EVERY...once....of strength....not to.....KILL YOU.....for you anti-Floyd Sentiments......

Great Floyd Albums?

#1 Piper at the Gates of Dawn is their first, and was a seminal album that helped spawn the entire glam rock genre. An artist as influential as David Bowie stated in the past that "Piper" was the album that made him what he was.

#2 Dark Side of the Moon....doesn't need explaination.

#3 Wish You Were Here....also doesn't need explaination.

#4 The Wall.....shouldn't need explaination.

Personally, I also find Animals and Meddle (with the epic "Echoes") to be great albums too.

The Stones? Personally, I don't think ANY of their albums are great individually. They have some great songs mixed in all over their career, but no great ALBUMS, when taken as a whole.

Tons of bands or artists are considered great, but I think it's not so easy identifying three great albums by a group.

... come now brother, you can't bring up the stones & leave this off the list !

Tattoo You

Start Me Up

Hang Fire

Slave

Little T&A

Black Limousine

Neighbours

Worried About You

Tops

Heaven

No Use In Crying

Waiting On A Friend

... and as for Floyd...

The Wall ?!? ... Animals ... The Final Cut (.. very underated)

... post roger - Momentary Lapse of Reason...

l_j_r

And I'll give another band too....

Metallica:

Kill'Em All is the genre setter for Speed Metal.

Ride the Lightning is a classic Metal Album...

...as is Master of Puppets, considered by most as THE Metal Album ever.

And the Self-Title "Black Album" was an enormous crossover success, bringing Metal to the Masses.

Thats 4.

You forgot "Let It Bleed" by the Stones...another fantastic effort.

Actully you did include...good job.

Nirvana -

In Utero

Bleach

Can't remember the name but the one with teen spirit on it.

IMO, what makes a great band is controversy, death and a GREAT duo of leadsinger and lead guitar.

Zeppelin, Skynnard, Pink Floyd, The Allman Brothers are on my all time greats list.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone temple pilots, just about anyone from the Seattle grunge scene are on my more modern list.

My favorite recent song is "Ball n chain" by Social distortion.

Here's a song i HIGHLY recommend for all of you guys... "Cigarette" by The Clarkes. They are a Pittsburgh area band that ROCKS, IMO. :D

Nirvana -

In Utero

Bleach

Can't remember the name but the one with teen spirit on it.

IMO, what makes a great band is controversy, death and a GREAT duo of leadsinger and lead guitar.

Zeppelin, Skynnard, Pink Floyd, The Allman Brothers are on my all time greats list.

Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone temple pilots, just about anyone from the Seattle grunge scene are on my more modern list.

My favorite recent song is "Ball n chain" by Social distortion.

Here's a song i HIGHLY recommend for all of you guys... "Cigarette" by The Clarkes. They are a Pittsburgh area band that ROCKS, IMO. :D

That Nirvana album was Nevermind.....Great Album and group imo.

Soundgarden...

Superunknown-- I'm actually a "Black Hole Sun" hater but the rest of the album is ****ing phenomenal.

Badmotorfinger-- Obviously.

Down on the Upside-- Underappreciated. A couple of definite B side tracks but a lot of *really* nice stuff .

In soundgarden's case the recipe was an awesome drummer (Matt Cameron) a creative guitarist (Kim Thayil) and one of the best frontmen of the decade (Chris Cornell who's voice was a gift from the rock gods).

then there are groups who are incredible but maybe not know for their ablums...

Grateful Dead... you can beat a live performance...

although if you are looking for studio albums... american beauty isn't bad

Steely Dan's albums ( including Donald Fagan's Nightfly) are incredibly delightful albums.

the who's Tommy is a masterpiece.

the Partridge Family's birthday album rocks also

:)

I'm sorry....but...it's taking EVERY...once....of strength....not to.....KILL YOU.....for you anti-Floyd Sentiments......

Great Floyd Albums?

#1 Piper at the Gates of Dawn is their first, and was a seminal album that helped spawn the entire glam rock genre. An artist as influential as David Bowie stated in the past that "Piper" was the album that made him what he was.

#2 Dark Side of the Moon....doesn't need explaination.

#3 Wish You Were Here....also doesn't need explaination.

#4 The Wall.....shouldn't need explaination.

Personally, I also find Animals and Meddle (with the epic "Echoes") to be great albums too.

The Stones? Personally, I don't think ANY of their albums are great individually. They have some great songs mixed in all over their career, but no great ALBUMS, when taken as a whole.

Don't forget Meddle or Obscured by Clouds

And I'll give another band too....

Metallica:

Kill'Em All is the genre setter for Speed Metal.

Ride the Lightning is a classic Metal Album...

...as is Master of Puppets, considered by most as THE Metal Album ever.

And the Self-Title "Black Album" was an enormous crossover success, bringing Metal to the Masses.

Thats 4.

Dude, did you just leave out Metallica's BEST album?? And Justice For All is their best but not by much because MOP and RTL are right up there.

IMO

What makes a great band is a Great Bassist and Drummer. Even the crappies lead sounds great with a solid foundation, but all the guitar talent in the world won't mean anything with a solid bassist and drummer (in Rock obviously.)

My favorite band right now is Wilco

a unique sound and have had some amazing albums

ugh greengal steely dan is steely gay to me

then there are groups who are incredible but maybe not know for their ablums...

Grateful Dead... you can beat a live performance...

although if you are looking for studio albums... american beauty isn't bad

Steely Dan's albums ( including Donald Fagan's Nightfly) are incredibly delightful albums.

the who's Tommy is a masterpiece.

the Partridge Family's birthday album rocks also

:)

Archived