JN Updates \ Feedback Wanted!

Maxman

A bit of an informal post but just wanted to give everyone a brief update. Right now we are running on a few different servers and as a lot of you have noticed, the one that the forum is on doesn't always cooperate. So we will be upgrading once again. No exact date has been worked out but this will take place before training camp.

The benefit? The site will be much more reliable and faster.

Some of the other main benefits is that we will have full control again, so we can put the plugins back...the arcade, bookie, etc. We had to get rid of a lot of that stuff recently, so we are really looking forward to bringing it back.

We will also be updating all of the mobile apps. There is a mobile skin now (lower left - JetNation mobile) but the JetNation iPhone app is coming and the droid app is right behind that. There are also plans to allow for easier updating (like uploading pictures to the gallery) from phones and mobile devices.

So the question is, what else should we add? Post of the Week anyone? Give us some feedback, we are always looking to make this site the best it can be so we want to hear your thoughts...

Thanks!

JetNation (the site that cares)

I love the idea of a fully-functional arcade with a working scoring system. I'd love to prove how much less of a life I have than everyone else. It would also be nice for those lazy Sunday afternoons when the Jets are getting blown out and I want to distance myself a bit.

POTW would be cool.

Also, what's up with the Facebook bot (if that's what it is) that keeps showing up everywhere?

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 1 anonymous users

Facebook

I've been posting sexy robot pictures in the Lounge to keep it happy...just in case it's a Skynet thing.

I love the idea of a fully-functional arcade with a working scoring system. I'd love to prove how much less of a life I have than everyone else. It would also be nice for those lazy Sunday afternoons when the Jets are getting blown out and I want to distance myself a bit.

POTW would be cool.

The arcade is actually still installed, just disabled. The current host made us turn that stuff off because of the bandwidth we were using. When we move we will prune the old games and install a bunch of new ones. Definitely want to get that back here. Thanks.

It would be cool if a few people who actually like the Jets posted here.

LOL. So damn true. We are going to put together a task force to look for some positive Jets fans. They have to be out there somewhere. :)

How about a trophy system? You could give trophies for "achievements" like POTW, post counts, dissenting opinions, times mentioning the word "beast," etc.

I always stayed away from the awards systems because I was such a good poster, I felt bad that nobody else would win anything. If it can be setup so that I can't win, and the common people have a chance...then yes we can do something like this.

:)

My #1 recommendation would be the return of the rep comments. It was one thing a lot of people missed when the switch first happened and while everyone has mostly gotten used to it with time, I think would be an awesome thing to bring back. Same thing with the weighted rep system, since it was kind of weird to suddenly change from people having these massive amount of rep points from all of the prior years to only getting one point at a time.

My #1 recommendation would be the return of the rep comments. It was one thing a lot of people missed when the switch first happened and while everyone has mostly gotten used to it with time, I think would be an awesome thing to bring back. Same thing with the weighted rep system, since it was kind of weird to suddenly change from people having these massive amount of rep points from all of the prior years to only getting one point at a time.

Good feedback, I will check. That is one of the things that we lost going from vb to IPB. Long term I still feel good about the decision, vb was falling apart as a company (imo) at that time.

Good thoughts though -- will definitely look into it.

Good feedback, I will check. That is one of the things that we lost going from vb to IPB. Long term I still feel good about the decision, vb was falling apart as a company (imo) at that time.

Good thoughts though -- will definitely look into it.

Oh yeah, I knew that... but I'm drunk, so don't expect me to think these things through too thoroughly. :-P

Good call. (And, perhaps ironically, I repped you for it.)

As a relative newcomer to actually posting on the site, I don't really understand the rep system, and also the categories that show up on each person's profile. How did it work before?

Good call. (And, perhaps ironically, I repped you for it.)

As a relative newcomer to actually posting on the site, I don't really understand the rep system, and also the categories that show up on each person's profile. How did it work before?

In the pas you had a + / - option for each post. You could leave comments for both positive and negative posts. It was a lot of fun. :)

In the pas you had a + / - option for each post. You could leave comments for both positive and negative posts. It was a lot of fun. :)

So how did the number discrepancy between the old and new systems play out? I ask because I've seen some profiles with crazy numbers in total rep. I have just under 400 points and I feel pretty good about myself, but then I look at yours and you have over 510,000. Not that you don't deserve it, of course (you of all people should deserve it), but it would take me about 150 years of Jets futility to reach that number.

So how did the number discrepancy between the old and new systems play out? I ask because I've seen some profiles with crazy numbers in total rep. I have just under 400 points and I feel pretty good about myself, but then I look at yours and you have over 510,000. Not that you don't deserve it, of course (you of all people should deserve it), but it would take me about 150 years of Jets futility to reach that number.

Oh. There was a guy who used to be a mod here, his name was BP. Anyhow when he was here he set it up so that you had rep power based on # of posts etc. So it multiplied. Once we got rid of that rep system, he stopped posting here. So actually it was a net win for the site. We lost functionality but overall the trade was good for us.

Oh. There was a guy who used to be a mod here, his name was BP. Anyhow when he was here he set it up so that you had rep power based on # of posts etc. So it multiplied. Once we got rid of that rep system, he stopped posting here. So actually it was a net win for the site. We lost functionality but overall the trade was good for us.

Thank you for explaining.

+1 repped, for what it's worth.

Please consider making the print presentation bolder. It's easier viewing if bolder.

Thanks. I am definitely curious to hear others chime in on that. We will be updating the look and feel a bit and now have access to a skin designer that has done a few NFL Official forums. So we will ask him to make sure the presentation is as easy on the eyes as possible!

I just want to get off the practice squad player list, put me in coach

That is kind of harsh...893 posts over all this time and you are still listed as a practice squad guy.

DROID APP FTW !

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of different skins

Like one (home) Green and one (away) White or a NY Titans screen LOL

Just an idea but that's much more for appearance.

how about "moderated debates" ?

a topic is chosen, posters are nominated for each position, a throw down is scheduled and a moderator moderates the event and a winner is declared

Isn't this the same as mentioning trigger words like "noodle arm" and "schotty sucks" and "brady is gay"?

A bit of an informal post but just wanted to give everyone a brief update. Right now we are running on a few different servers and as a lot of you have noticed, the one that the forum is on doesn't always cooperate. So we will be upgrading once again. No exact date has been worked out but this will take place before training camp.

The benefit? The site will be much more reliable and faster.

Some of the other main benefits is that we will have full control again, so we can put the plugins back...the arcade, bookie, etc. We had to get rid of a lot of that stuff recently, so we are really looking forward to bringing it back.

We will also be updating all of the mobile apps. There is a mobile skin now (lower left - JetNation mobile) but the JetNation iPhone app is coming and the droid app is right behind that. There are also plans to allow for easier updating (like uploading pictures to the gallery) from phones and mobile devices.

So the question is, what else should we add? Post of the Week anyone? Give us some feedback, we are always looking to make this site the best it can be so we want to hear your thoughts...

Thanks!

JetNation (the site that cares)

Bring back rep commentary.

Bring back the ability to click on the post count for a particular thread, to see the list of all posters that have replied and the amount of replies each, and the ability to click on the reply count for one of those people and see ALL of that one person's posts in that particular thread, chronologically. The search feature cannot and does not allow for such.

Figure out why the message alerts in the upper right takes so long to render in safari and firefox.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, those first 2 are the big ones for me.

Archived