Was Aaron Maybin's season a fluke?

Matt39

Ehh...

In two seasons with the Bills, first-round pick Aaron Maybin never recorded a sack. If you’re drafted for your pass-rushing skills, that’s a pretty good sign that you’re a bust.

But since being picked up by the Jets, Maybin has six sacks in limited playing time. Was he really a bust, or was he simply misused by the Bills? The numbers may say that he was an untapped talent, but a closer look at Maybin’s sacks seems to indicate they are more a function of good coverage than great pass-rushing skills.

Of Maybin’s six sacks, only one has been recorded in less than three seconds. Three of them have taken longer than 3.5 seconds. Two of them have come on bootlegs where Maybin eventually ran down quarterbacks as they ran out of room to run at the sideline. Those are closer to sacks of opportunity than a demonstration of any real skill at rushing the passer. Maybin isn’t beating linemen head up as much as he’s working his way to sacks by simply never giving up on a play.

To his credit, when he does catch up to a quarterback, he makes things happen. On three of his six sacks, he has forced a fumble.

If you hate the team so much, just do us all a favor and stop following them. There are very few people who bitch and moan more than you, but the difference is, at least they didn't start a new thread with this sh*t.

If you hate the team so much, just do us all a favor and stop following them. There are very few people who bitch and moan more than you, but the difference is, at least they didn't start a new thread with this sh*t.

^ I call this guy "The Hammer."

Was never questioning his effort. Effort sacks are coverage sacks though.

The only sack where he straight up beat his guy was the Redskins one. Just thought it was interesting....especially since he decided to add weight.

Hmmm. I thought you left

I'd say yes if all 6 sacks were accumulated over like a 4 game span...but the fact he only doubled up once and had them sparingly over his 12 game season...no, I'd say it wasnt. Especially considering that 4 of those 6 times he forced a fumble. I think with the 2 book ends we have now and a full 16 games, he'll get a couple more next season.

His speed and first step are no fluke.

The only sack where he straight up beat his guy was the Redskins one. Just thought it was interesting....especially since he decided to add weight.

Gotta love the fact that when he does get their he makes plays to create turnovers. Thats some righteous sh*t right their.

wtf are you talking about ? the kid has an awesome motor, and frightening speed. there's nothing flukey about his game

gtf outta here

Thats what you see when watching those highlights? Most of those sacks looked to be created by his initial burst into the pocket, which made the QB move forward or sideways, and then he kept pursuit. Showed a couple of promising moves and got to Edwards and Grossman lighting fast. The sack?strip on the sidelines vs. Miami was a great play. He was dropping into coverage and checking the TE, broke and hawked him down.

wtf are you talking about ? the kid has an awesome motor, and frightening speed. there's nothing flukey about his game

gtf outta here

motor - check

speed - check

pass rush moves - ???

this is where a hire like Dunbar can pay huge dividends. Maybin got no reliable moves except the LT chop at the end. Adding 10 pounds of muscle is great but I'd rather see him in preseason using some tactics out there. his edge rush is deadly but he needs more than that to be a double digit sack guy

IS he going to be a beast like some people in here seem to think ? No Way.

Will he get the occasional sack when lined up in the right situation ? probably.

Will he ever be a full time LB ? no way in hell. He is a decent situational pass rusher, as it stands right now. We will have to wait for this season to see what he really is.

Also there was no need to jump all over Matt because he brings up questions about this team. They are valid questiions that should be discussed on a football message board about your football team. To be honest if you cant deal with that then you should be the one looking for a different place to post not Matt.

You really think that's good analysis? You really think that means anything? Anything at all?

How does it not? An over 3.5 second sack would deem it a coverage sack and not one where he used a specific move to beat an offensive linemen to get to the QB. You cant see how those would be more flukey than Demarcus Ware's sack on Sanchez to kick off our season last year?

yeah actully it does ...whats your assessment of Maybin >?

My assessment of Maybin is that he was on the field primarily in 3rd down situations and came up with 6 sacks and 4 forced fumbles. Once can be an accident. Twice can be a fluke. Six times means the guy has been properly coached up, given confidence, and been placed in a scheme and position to succeed. While I couldn't find an advanced stat, I'm also sure Maybin was responsible for more QB Pressures than the 6 sacks he was able to come up with.

Point is, Maybin has been a real nice find as a 3rd down pass rusher. Whether or not he was a "fluke" (which he wasn't), this thread is just more Negative Nancyism.

motor - check

speed - check

pass rush moves - ???

this is where a hire like Dunbar can pay huge dividends. Maybin got no reliable moves except the LT chop at the end. Adding 10 pounds of muscle is great but I'd rather see him in preseason using some tactics out there. his edge rush is deadly but he needs more than that to be a double digit sack guy

I agree with you Bit.

I still think he is going to get his 10 sacks this year (as long as the added weight doesn't affect his speed) just on his speed, and motor. The addition of Coples, who is probably going to be right next to him when Maybin puts his hand in the dirt, will force QB's to step back. That alone will get him another 4 sacks.

If he can maintain his speed, and develop just a basic inside spin move, with the added strength, should get him another 4-5. RT's , as it is now, seem to lunge at him just to push him outside. Toward the end of the year RB's were just chipping at him to keep him outside. Those extra blockers are going to be busy with Coples on the field.

Think Dunbar is going to come up with something for him in the technique department.

Maybin is in the right place, at the right time. 14-16 sacks

My assessment of Maybin is that he was on the field primarily in 3rd down situations and came up with 6 sacks and 4 forced fumbles. Once can be an accident. Twice can be a fluke. Six times means the guy has been properly coached up, given confidence, and been placed in a scheme and position to succeed. While I couldn't find an advanced stat, I'm also sure Maybin was responsible for more QB Pressures than the 6 sacks he was able to come up with.

Point is, Maybin has been a real nice find as a 3rd down pass rusher. Whether or not he was a "fluke" (which he wasn't), this thread is just more Negative Nancyism.

I dont see it as negative nancyism its just football talk man. I think Maybin was a product of Rex's system and put in the right place at the right time he can be effective but keep in mind when his name started getting thrown around at the end of last season he was non existent in the last 4 games. Does that count for anything or were teams just taking notice ? He will never be a full time backer on this team or any other and you have to ask yourself do the Jets keep both him and Sapp ? I guess what Im saying is lets see if Maybin,, now on the radar of most teams we will play, can still keep up . If he does it will be wonderfull but the jury is still out IMHO

Archived