Jump to content
SenorGato

2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Remember when like 40 pages of this thread was clueless Mets fans talking sh*t after they lost a WS to the Royals at Citifield? Good times 

I just remember being truly ecstatic and honestly not giving a sh*t about being swept by them after sending the Cards home in the series prior. I knew there was more to come and it would be sooner than later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NJ said:

I just remember being truly ecstatic and honestly not giving a sh*t about being swept by them after sending the Cards home in the series prior. I knew there was more to come and it would be sooner than later.

Meanwhile beating the Cubs that year is still the biggest thing the Mets have done in the 21st century.

-----

I was watching Darvish's start the other day and got all giddy. 9 days until opening day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2018 at 4:13 PM, SenorGato said:

I’m fine with the bullpen as is. It’s deep, offers several looks, and is loaded with velocity and or spin. They don’t need to push the salary cap and take themselves out of next year’s FA to pay big money and a draft pick for a guy to throw low impact, clean 9th innings more often than not. 

I think the Cishek and Morrow signings were clever as a muh. Morrow was a priority FA for me, was glad they landed him as not allowing a HR last year is kind of a big deal. I didn’t realize Cishek offered power stuff from a weird arm angle, plus he covers the nominal closer thing if they even need it (I think Morrow gets the 9th) while offering role flexibility. 

Last chance to sign Holland. 

He can be had for a 1 year $10-12MM at this point which is very cheap insurance for a pen that has nothing but question marks.

Morrow - 18 career saves - .132 career WHIP

Wilson - nothing positive shown in camp  - umbay written all over him.

Cishek - looks like a good pick-up, but not an overwhelming/saving grace addition.

Duensing - caught lightning in a bottle last year - doesn't have the stuff and will get lit up in pressure situations.

Montgomery - anybody still thinking he'll ever be anything close to Andrew Miller is wrong. A decent lefty arm that can spot start.

C. J.  - hopefully can work back to his 2016 abilities and throw an unhittable strike when he has to. 

Stroup - is he somehow magically going to be better than last year? I can't hallucinate enough to see it. A guy who's numbers only look good because he's a seldom utilized solution when the games on the line. And that's for a good reason.  

This situation will put us behind the 8 ball sooner or later.

We might score enough runs to let them give up a bunch and still win a lot of ballgames, but when it's time to play the best teams out there in the postseason it's not going to work.

It wouldn't change the potential ineptitude of this group but it would be different if we had to commit 15 - 20 a year for 3 years to get Holland.

But the talk is he'll go for the numbers I mentioned earlier.  

C'mon Theo - quit playing riverboat gambler with bad cards.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, NJ said:

Last chance to sign Holland. 

They're still better off, under this current CBA, not going over the luxury tax for a closer. Saves kind of aren't so valuable when it's possible more than half the lineup has a legit shot at 30+ HRs along with high OBPs...Plus Holland is on the market until he's not, so if they found some loopholes to exploit in season a signing remains possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm liking that the Cubs went with a bat first, switch hitting backup catcher in Caratini. He's been on my radar as a while, hard for me to resist a bat first switch hitter who happens to handle a premium position well enough while being either young or age appropriate for his level. He doesn't have starter upside, at least not first division starter upside, but the profile alone should keep him employed in the league for a long time.

This roster is pretty gd loaded but I'm still thinking there's big a trade to consolidate within the next year. I'm still huge on trading for Stroman and Osuna from the Jays or Archer and Colome from the Rays. Picking up their respective CFs in the same deal wouldn't hurt but not interested without the pitching. Stroman or Archer, I personally prefer Stroman by alot, would be superstars in Chicago, bigger than they already are...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wilson actually showed some talent tonight in his obligatory inning against the Bo-Sox. 

After he grooved one to Moreland that was inches from going out - he settled in and struck out  2 guys with some nasty breaking stuff.

C. J. was horrible and threw the game away.

I love Caratini's bat too - hope he regularly displays better D than he did tonight as he was atrocious.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First pitch of the MLB season - Ian Happ goes Yard

Yeah baby! 

What centerfielder was it you wanted to trade for again Catman?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2018 at 1:19 PM, NJ said:

One guy really does hurt though .... fk'ing Adam Warren ... couldn't keep the ball in the park at Wrigley and goes back to the Yanks and continues with his Walter Johnson imitation. Boy that stings - really, really, could have used him in a pen that I still believe is very suspect. Oh well

I love Warren on the Yanks.

Good 1st pitch of the season for you guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chirorob said:

I love Warren on the Yanks.

Good 1st pitch of the season for you guys.

I was excited when he came here after what you guys told me about him. Never really got his bearings then but we could sure use him now. Cashman knew exactly what he had in him and how desperately we needed Chapman.

Opposite Day for the Cubs opener - Lester sh*ts the bed early and badly. The pen looks like they'll all be standing at the podium in Cooperstown.

I'll take every win they get and love it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So far the bullpen I was so dreading to be put into action has a .061 ERA - 16.1 innings pitched with one run allowed

Brandon Morrow faces one batter as a Cub and gives up the hit to allow the pens only run to score.

meanwhile ...  a third of the Cubs that come to the plate whiff,  and they're 2 - 22 with RISP. 

Crazy start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2018 at 12:11 PM, NJ said:

First pitch of the MLB season - Ian Happ goes Yard

Yeah baby! 

What centerfielder was it you wanted to trade for again Catman?

After I totally put The Maloik on Happ he finally got another RBI  - 6 games and 17 strikeouts later.

Chili has to stress some things other than launch angle on Ian and a couple of his teammates as the inability to drive in runs with RISP will keep this young team from a deep run again.

My prediction of a marginal pen is eating sh!t too ... couldn't be happier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2018 at 12:25 PM, SenorGato said:

Aaaand he's employed again, ML deal with the Royals. Grimm's got a hot ass gymnast wife, just want to toss that in.

Speaking off the Royals...Soler might be getting his act together. Hope so, I like the Royals forever for sh*tting on that loser second team in NY back during the 2015 WS. 

1

I feel bad for Grimm and worse for the Royals who's pen was horrible enough without help from him.

He's now sporting an 18.9 ERA and could only get 1 out tonight after letting in 6 earned including Granderson's 9th career Slam.

One of the KC posters said it best .... Grimm indeed. Wish I would have thought of that one when he was our problem.

But ... we have enough of our own issues and concerns in this young frostbitten campaign.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2018 at 10:51 AM, chirorob said:

I was curious what you guys thought of the deal.

He's pretty good when healthy, he's thrown 200 innings exactly once.  At this point he is almost exactly a 6 inning pitcher.   He does have good stuff, gets strikeouts, but he's 30 now, and 6 years is a long deal.

I'm kind of on the fence on it.   #1, I'm neutral on the Cubs, don't really like or dislike, so I'm not stirring the pot.  #2, I live in Fort Worth, I've seen Darvish pitch plenty of times, he just seems like a guy who should be better than he really is.  Short term, it should help, longer term..   in 3 years this might be a deal you really wish would just go away.

It's not nearly as bad as Ellsbury on the Yanks, but I don't like it, and I don't know who you were really bidding against that you had to give that many years.

Dude is never healthy.   I hope he turns it around for you guys, but that contract may be an albatross.

MLB needs to learn.  Do not give "decent to good" pitchers a 6 year deal when they are 30 or over.   A Cy Young guy, whatever, you do what it takes.   A solid #2 to #3.  No

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2018 at 10:34 AM, chirorob said:

Dude is never healthy.   I hope he turns it around for you guys, but that contract may be an albatross.

MLB needs to learn.  Do not give "decent to good" pitchers a 6 year deal when they are 30 or over.   A Cy Young guy, whatever, you do what it takes.   A solid #2 to #3.  No

Didn't like the 6 years when we did it and like it much less after we've had a chance to see how mentally weak he is.

Heard Theo interviewed on why they chose Yu over Arrieta and he said "you take the guy who has the best stuff" if age, money, and all else is equal.

Turns out they offered Jake 6@$20m and Yu signed for 6@$21m.

The guy has 6+ often unhittable pitches when he can throw them - and the mental strength of a 6-year-old whose parents are in the middle of a bitter divorce.

I'd rather attempt to help a guy with how to bolster his mental strength than attempt to teach a guy how to throw hi-90's with Yu's repertoire of pitches for sure. But they need to do something and quickly.

If I was calling the shots - I'd find our currently unemployed old buddy John Lackey and make him a coach that is essentially Darvish's Siamese Twin with the explicit instructions to do whatever Lackey tells him to do - or else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2018 at 12:45 PM, Tyler Durden said:

Any regrets over Torres? Looks like a better player than Addison Russell. 

Cubs won a Championship because of that trade.  There will never be a regret over trading Torres.  Theo would make that trade 10 out of 10 times.  It worked out for both teams. 

The only party who got screwed is Sterling Castro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2018 at 11:45 AM, Tyler Durden said:

Any regrets over Torres? Looks like a better player than Addison Russell. 

Lots of them, dude. He has all the makings of an all-star and has hit the street running.

I still make that trade 100 times out of a hundred as we don't have a chance of winning the WS without Chapman

I think it's a little too early to say Addison Russell has peaked at the plate at the tender age of 24. Had a substandard year last year and now Chili Davis has all those young guys trying to use more of the field when they're at the dish instead of focusing on launch angle which I support wholeheartedly.

If Gleyber has 9+ RBI's in a WS before he's 23 we can certainly revisit the conversation.

Defensively - Torres is a special talent, but I'll still keep Russell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SMC said:

Cubs won a Championship because of that trade.  There will never be a regret over trading Torres.  Theo would make that trade 10 out of 10 times.  It worked out for both teams. 

The only party who got screwed is Sterling Castro.

You get a ring and you never look back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NJ said:

Didn't like the 6 years when we did it and like it much less after we've had a chance to see how mentally weak he is.

Heard Theo interviewed on why they chose Yu over Arrieta and he said "you take the guy who has the best stuff" if age, money, and all else is equal.

Turns out they offered Jake 6@$20m and Yu signed for 6@$21m.

The guy has 6+ often unhittable pitches when he can throw them - and the mental strength of a 6-year-old whose parents are in the middle of a bitter divorce.

I'd rather attempt to help a guy with how to bolster his mental strength than attempt to teach a guy how to throw hi-90's with Yu's repertoire of pitches for sure. But they need to do something and quickly.

If I was calling the shots - I'd find our currently unemployed old buddy John Lackey and make him a coach that is essentially Darvish's Siamese Twin with the explicit instructions to do whatever Lackey tells him to do - or else.

 

That's the thing with him I noticed out here.

He can be dominant.   With his stuff, he should be.   But, he just isn't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SMC said:

Cubs won a Championship because of that trade.  There will never be a regret over trading Torres.  Theo would make that trade 10 out of 10 times.  It worked out for both teams. 

The only party who got screwed is Sterling Castro.

Agreed - and love Starlin Castro as an individual and at the plate - but he doesn't have the motor in the field or on the bases to be Russell or seemingly Torres.

Proved it again last night - Starlin is playing 2nd for the Fish - score tied 3-3 - Bryant on 3rd with go ahead run and 1 dead -  a sharp 2 hopper is hit to him - he shuffles a couple steps before he releases the ball, throws wide and late. Bryant scores and Cubs go on to win the game. Torres, Russell, Gregorious, and certainly Baez have that throw off in one fluid motion and Bryant is dead meat at the plate. 

Yanks won big on that move especially when you figure they have Chapman back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NJ said:

Agreed - and love Starlin Castro as an individual and at the plate - but he doesn't have the motor in the field or on the bases to be Russell or seemingly Torres.

Proved it again last night - Starlin is playing 2nd for the Fish - score tied 3-3 - Bryant on 3rd with go ahead run and 1 dead -  a sharp 2 hopper is hit to him - he shuffles a couple steps before he releases the ball, throws wide and late Bryant scores and Cubs go on to win the game. Torres, Russell, Gregorious, and certainly Baez have that throw off in one fluid motion and Bryant is dead meat at the plate. 

Yanks won big on that move especially when you figure they have Chapman back.

When you watch Castro day to day, he is not a good infielder.   Not always errors, but stuff like you just said.  He's a good hitter, but not so good to overcome his fielding. 

As for the trades, you get your first ring in going on 100 years, you trade whatever you have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, NJ said:

Lots of them, dude. He has all the makings of an all-star and has hit the street running.

I still make that trade 100 times out of a hundred as we don't have a chance of winning the WS without Chapman

I think it's a little too early to say Addison Russell has peaked at the plate at the tender age of 24. Had a substandard year last year and now Chili Davis has all those young guys trying to use more of the field when they're at the dish instead of focusing on launch angle which I support wholeheartedly.

If Gleyber has 9+ RBI's in a WS before he's 23 we can certainly revisit the conversation.

Defensively - Torres is a special talent, but I'll still keep Russell

We're in agreement that Theo would make that trade every time for Chapman and it won the Cubs a ring.

The interesting thing is that, the true discussion is not about Russell vs. Torres.  The actual discussion is Russell vs. Schwarber.  Cashman initially asked for Schwarber, but Theo said no so Cashman started looking at the lower minor leagues (Torres was still far away) and settled on Torres as the centerpiece. 

If you asked Theo today, in hindsight, would he have rather included Schwarber in the Chapman trade rather than Torres, I think he'd say yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The Troll @vanDoug 

Yo Dudes - our famed and fabled thread author - SenorGato -  has literally been given the bums rush from the site and won't here to share his wisdom and insight. If his presence was a deterrent in any way to your weighing in - please feel free to drop in and discuss the current campaign as it might bring better results than 2017. 

NJ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×