2016 WS Champions/Cubs Thread

SenorGato

Quintana for Jimenez, Cease, and three lesser pitchers

I'm already OK with the hard part - Jimenez. He's a COF in High A struggling to hit for average. Cease being traded was inevitable the minute he had TJ, so no skin off their back there.

My favorite part is that there's still lots to move. Candelario is still a prime trade target as is everyone else on the farm. I hope they keep Paredes since secretly he's the highest ceiling guy on the farm.

Quintana, Lester, Hendricks, and ? for 2018.

Get another starter and a couple relief arms and we're set for next year.

Fortunately we have the barter to make all that happen without beginning to dent the core of the team.

Great trade for the Cubs as Jimenez is Soler waiting to happen and Cease, although very viable, is still a couple years away.

On 7/2/2017 at 6:12 PM, vanDoug said:

Nice to occasionally weigh in on the SenorGato, I mean Cubs thread.

Somebody wiser than me said - Now I understand the giants every other year thing a little better.

Pitching is killing us. Jake showed what he can be today, but can he give us that consistently? It's easy to predict Jake and Lackey gone next year. The Pen? Let's end the Stropdon experience. These guys need to go. Davis and Edwards are the keepers. The others? We just need a consistent bridge between starter and setup.

Throw in Grimm with those that have to go and put him at the front of the list. His June and early July numbers look great because:

a. Joe's not stupid enough to give him the ball in anything approximating a pressure situation. 

b. Even a blind pig finds an acorn on occasion.

On 6/30/2017 at 9:50 AM, Lith said:

The one thing you guys have going for you is the Division this year.  With all the struggles and injuries so far this year, still only a game behind Milwaukee.  It is really hard to take them seriously as a contender since they have not been able to add any separation during this last month.  This was the chance for the Brewers to show they are for real and put some pressure on the Cubs.  They haven't done it.  

Still think the Cubs win the Division comfortably and once you get in the postseason, anything is possible.

Hey L -

With the acquisition of Quintana we'll have a stronger 2nd half but I put us at no better than 50/50 to take the division and not well poised to make a decent run if we do.

Playing catch-up ball and often early catch-up ball too many times with the implosion of our SP's. That's proven not to bode well in the mindsets of this mixture of power bats. 

The current Cubs pen under play-off pressure would not be a pretty picture either.

Hopefully Theo continues to barter well for additional arms and I'm confident he will - so "wait till next year" isn't a painful meaningless thought like it was for so many seasons. 

IIRC FanGraphs or BP or both have the Cubs at 62% for taking the division. 

The flexibility the Cubs have right now is amazing. Still have trade chips, less dependent on paying multiple FA SPs, still have all those young and cheap ML bats...Finally this season gets fun.

Yelich next, please! 

When I saw what all we gave up, my initial reaction was ugh. However, after learning Quintana is under team control through 2020 with a well below market contract, I'm good with this deal. Let Jake and Captain Ugly Face walk, go hard after a top FA like Darvish or God willing Otani. Lester/Quintana/someone Japanese sounds pretty damn good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, The Troll said:

When I saw what all we gave up, my initial reaction was ugh. However, after learning Quintana is under team control through 2020 with a well below market contract, I'm good with this deal. Let Jake and Captain Ugly Face walk, go hard after a top FA like Darvish or God willing Otani. Lester/Quintana/someone Japanese sounds pretty damn good to me.

It's bird in the hand stuff, dude. 

Cease might be magical and Jimenez might become Clemente - neither of them is within 2 years of even starting that assent.

Today -  right now - we're facing multiple run deficits in early innings on too many occasions and Q will put a dent in some of that. 

Now go get him some help Theo.

• Upvote 1

It's bird in the hand stuff, dude. 
Cease might be magical and Jimenez might become Clemente - neither of them is within 2 years of even starting that assent.
Today -  right now - we're facing multiple run deficits in early innings on too many occasions and Q will put a dent in some of that. 
Now go get him some help Theo.

I know this helps the Cubs not only today, but through 2020 and that's why I'm good with it. It will just hurt to watch if Jimenez ends up an all star and Schwarber ends up a Jack Custy DH. I hope you're right and he's another Soler.

Cease, I'm not at all sad about losing. From what I've read, he's a two pitch pitcher. You know what they call two pitch pitchers? Relievers.

56 minutes ago, vanDoug said:

What do you guys think the next addition or change will be? 

Nice start post-ASB, but look at who we played. 

We need another starter and at least one GOOD short relief arm, Doug. 

They may hold off on the starter but hope they don't. Lets get him now and re-gel this thing.

Simply not chasing runs early is a great thing for our offense.

On 7/20/2017 at 5:08 PM, NJ said:

We need another starter and at least one GOOD short relief arm, Doug. 

They may hold off on the starter but hope they don't. Lets get him now and re-gel this thing.

Simply not chasing runs early is a great thing for our offense.

Thanks John. Surely we can't be dumb enough to chase Darvish. After Friday's fiasco, plenty of relief rumors involving the Cubs. Trusting the FO to be smart right now. 

6 hours ago, vanDoug said:

After Friday's fiasco, plenty of relief rumors involving the Cubs. Trusting the FO to be smart right now. 

You saw it again tonight my friend .. last thing in the world Joe wanted to do was bring in Davis on consecutive days after throwing 25 pitches yesterday -

but he had no choice if we wanted the W. 

They need another reliable arm or 2 in the pen. 

Welcome Justin Wilson  .94 WHIP - 55 k's 40 innings pitched  - Justin Grimm pack your sh*t

Welcome switch hitting vet catcher Alex Avila  - you are now the 2nd best batting avg on the Cubs

If the starting 5 hold together, the Quintana and Wilson additions could be enough for a decent run.

For sure it's going to be a much more enjoyable last 8 weeks of the season than the first 8 weeks were. 

Candelario should be a solid major league player for years to come and Peredes is our best SS in the farm.

Thats all wonderful, but there's no place on the parent club for either of these guys for the next half decade.

Trading them for useful, needed if not vital pieces in today's line-up is smart management - the kind we've come to expect from Theo E.     

19 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Cubs replaced Paredes on the South Bend roster with a higher ranked 2015 IFA in Aramis Ademan. Ademan was putting up a strong .180 IsoSLG and 16.4% K rate for SS Eugene as an 18 YO SS.

Great! Hopefully he'll ready to be part of the package that brings us Lester's replacement in 3 - 4 years.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm kinda rooting for the Cubs to trade for Verlander this month. I get the feeling especially early 21st century SPs like he and Sabathia are going to get screwed by fairly unrealistic HOF standards for this day and age. Verlander's got more of a shot at the HOF than Sabathia probably due to also having an MVP award, and he can more or less coast there on a team like the Cubs. There's that plus getting a bonafide TOR starter signed at a relatively low commit (year wise) through 2019 would be solid. 

This franchise is in a hell of a place right now. Kris Bryant has disappointed people as a 25 YO with a .930 OPS and a BA threatening .300. I can't wait to see what that guy's 2005 Derrek Lee season looks like. Rizzo could be said to be a little off this year. Russell and Schwarber have had pretty disastrous years. STILL they're starting to pull away in the NL Central, where no one ever felt like a serious threat anyway. And basically the entire lineup will STILL be in their mid-20s next year and in 2019....Gooood times. 

Oh and it didn't take long for the farm to bounce back after TDL. Next year should see bigger leaps, but guys like Lange, Albertos, and Ademan all have the case to be top 100 prospects now especially the latter two. 

I've likely posted about this before, but here I go again...

Strop & Rondon. Seriously, how many times do these guys need to hurt us before we do something about it? Cubs up, but game not close enough, no drama? Put one of those clowns in. Watching Rondon pitch HR derby last night was brutal.

There are positives though. 11 games over .500, 3.5 game lead

When the team's like 5th and 6th best relievers are the big worry...I'm a little irked that Wilson has no fastball command because Paredes is going to be a player eventually and Grimm still blows, but the keys to the bullpen are Davis and Edwards Jr. Keep them healthy through the season, let the offense win games, and get into the playoffs. 

Duensing was a weird find, they've gotten some solid work out of him. 

Tigers about to trade Upton to the Angels. Verlander rumors still going strong. I hope the Cubs swoop in and land that guy.

The Pirates released Nicasio, a cheap and excellent reliever, for some reason the other day. Phillies have a claim, but no way a team that bad isn't looking to trade him. He would be a nice add for the bullpen this year and next.

Get it done, Theo!

• 3 weeks later...

Was at the nail biter today but we prevailed and I was able to bring out broom at the end to send the sh*tbirds back to the 3rd world where they belong -  broken and 6 back.  

Joe showed how little faith he has in his crappy pen by dragging in Davis for the 3rd day in a row and he even threw 2 innings on Friday.

Cant blame him at all - ride him till he's broke. He had Wilson and Grimm up at one point in the pen in the 8th while Duensing miraculously got away with no runs by compiling a 4.0 WHIP for the inning. I told my lady if he brought in Grimm I would rush the field and kneecap him before he threw the game away. It would have been worth the 2 felony counts but fortunately I didn't have to.

Stroupie was doing his best to schwanse the game in the 7th -  but got a couple laser line outs to save him from his 2.0 inning WHIP and was given the win.

Too late now to do anything about it now, but as I have known all season this relief staff is not going to allow us a deep run.

Hopefully its enough to get us to the dance as anything can happen from there - but it's needing some serious upgrade for the immediate coming years to coincide with all the other talent.

In Theo I trust.

• 2 weeks later...

11 that matter left - do we have the horses?

We'll see.

I'm just feeling blessed with 3 post season appearances in 3 years. That's not been my typical exposure to October baseball.

Congrats to all the other Jets/Cubs crew!

Yeah you too Catman! 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, SenorGato said:

What a badass win that was 

Ugly as ugly gets  ... but we'll take it

F.U. Dusty - you've proven again you're an idiot -  there's not enough time left or inept owner/GM's to hire you so that every team could have the pleasure of having you coach against them in the post season. I'm glad we got the opportunity after your schwansing of the 2003 NLCS. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, NJ said:

Ugly as ugly gets  ... but we'll take it

F.U. Dusty - you're proven again you're an idiot -  there's not enough time left or inept owner/GM's to hire you so that every team could have the pleasure of having you coach against them in the post season. I'm glad we got the opportunity after your schwansing of the 2003 NLCS. 

We Yankee fans get on Girardi, but holyhell Dusty makes some mind blowing decisions.  When he took Scherzer out with less than 100 pitches and then later allowed Oliver Freakin' Perez pitch to Rizzo?  Unbelievable. Everyone knew when he pulled Scherzer that the Nats were going lose.

2 hours ago, SMC said:

We Yankee fans get on Girardi, but holyhell Dusty makes some mind blowing decisions.  When he took Scherzer out with less than 100 pitches and then later allowed Oliver Freakin' Perez pitch to Rizzo?  Unbelievable. Everyone knew when he pulled Scherzer that the Nats were going lose.

Dude - he put in Dave Veres to throw his last pitches in baseball with Zambrano and Clement both on the bench with 3 days rest in the 7th inning of game 7 of the 2003 NLCS. 

Veres threw meat and in 4 pitches we're out of reach chasing 4. 

And that moron says this week he still holds a grudge against the Cubs for letting him go - he's lucky he didn't get dragged behind a pick up truck.

I wouldn't let him coach Tee Ball. I was amazed when the Nat's signed him to a multi year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

Ugly loss but Lester's still a badass 

I was there dude - Joe never should have taken him out. 

The momentum turned 180 and was at fever pitch when he pulled him .. and we saw the rest of the story