Go Get Cedric Benson!

He said he wasn't interested in the vet minimum. I am sure he wants to get paid as much as possible (who doesn't). He probably has an inflated self worth.

That is great for him, but there is a reason why no one has offered him more than the vet minimum. I think we are quietly in a nice position to steal this guy with a 1 year, $2.5 mil type of offer. If we are really building our offensive strategy around the running game, it is essential that we have more than one truly credible RB.

That is great for him, but there is a reason why no one has offered him more than the vet minimum. I think we are quietly in a nice position to steal this guy with a 1 year, $2.5 mil type of offer. If we are really building our offensive strategy around the running game, it is essential that we have more than one truly credible RB.

Why? If the Jets are gonna turn the clocks back to the Woody Hayes era, and go with the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" mentality, mine as well do it right and scrap the committee approach to running it as well...

In all seriousness though, we have Tebow. And he's uber good at running and stuff.

In this scenario, it's Benson who's the thief.

Vet minimum or slightly higher would be a steal for this guy. I'm not saying they should pay him more than that, but it's worth bringing him in for that kinda scratch. He would be starting week 4 when Green either goes down with an injury or can't stop fumbling.

I just want to go back to the days of Shonn Greene pounding on tired defenses in the second half. With Benson slamming people as well, both back are likely to remain relatively fresh throughout the year. We still have plenty of cap space remaining to make a play for Benson. I question who else is available at this point that can potentially help us as much as Cedric Benson.

No hope for Ganaway at all? Is he that much worse than Benson at this point?

I'm actually asking.

The hype of Ganaway being the new Jerome Bettis died down here pretty fast. It was hilarious while it lasted. In closing, no.. no hope. And yes, he is that much worse than benson.

RB is a young man's position, and Benson isn't that young anymore. The fact that he's looking to cash in somehow makes him even less attractive. If the Jets are looking for RB help, I'd prefer they watch the waiver wire during training camp.

A lot of people are writing off Bilal Powell, but last year he was a rookie buried on the depth chart behind Greene, LT, and McKnight, in a season without an offseason. By the time they started preparing for games, I don't think he ever got a look. This year he gets a full offseason with a clean slate under a new OC, and rather than being buried 4th on the depth chart he finds himself as the #2 B back in Sparano's system. What the Jets need is a complete back - which Cedric Benson is not. Powell has that potential, at least on paper.

It should also be noted that how they use Tebow comes into play here as well. If Timmy gets 5 carries a game, he'll finish the year with more carries than LT had last season.

I look at Benson as a fallback option. If the guys behind Greene suck in camp then you can always offer a slightly over vet min deal and pick him or some other camp casualty up. There are always DJ Ware or Woodhead level guys getting cut that may be of value and otherwise some older guys that you can count on but teams are trying to get younger. No need to sign him now IMO but keep him on the radar.

I look at Benson as a fallback option. If the guys behind Greene suck in camp then you can always offer a slightly over vet min deal and pick him or some other camp casualty up. There are always DJ Ware or Woodhead level guys getting cut that may be of value and otherwise some older guys that you can count on but teams are trying to get younger. No need to sign him now IMO but keep him on the radar.

I agree with this actually. I also think the world ha no idea what's going on with Powell and to write him off completely at this point is not fair to do. Who knows? Maybe he's the next solid back for us who can take a large share of the load and be effective. It's worth a shot in training camp.

I agree with this actually. I also think the world ha no idea what's going on with Powell and to write him off completely at this point is not fair to do. Who knows? Maybe he's the next solid back for us who can take a large share of the load and be effective. It's worth a shot in training camp.

While I will admit that I have not seen enough of Powell to know that he can't play, I have seen enough of Cedric Benson to know that he can. I don't know about you guys, but I am not comfortable at all with the idea that we are basing the offense in the hands of Shonn Greene; a man who has yet to remain healthy throughout a season.

If this is your plan, then sign him now. He can learn the offense and ol. If no one gets hurt you can cut easily if you give him a vet min deal.

If this is your plan, then sign him now. He can learn the offense and ol. If no one gets hurt you can cut easily if you give him a vet min deal.

I don't think so. First of all, he isn't accepting a vet min deal now. Second, having him around to "learn the offense" is just going to inhibit the young guys. If the team thinks those guys can step up as viable #2 backs they should go with them until we know nobody is stepping up. I don't think RB is going to need too much time to learn the O, but I agree you don't want to wait until the last preseason game to sign anybody Favre style either.

Archived