JAWS MAFIA - Game Thread

DPR

and one more thing... the apes play was borderline tragic.. he offered to be a martyr on day 2 over and over again. had a townie hammered him or a power role killed him with a poon' it would have been disastrous. By then we knew there was a bomb and weren't going anywhere near a hammer.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we were Ninjas who's actions were NOT hidden and who if investigated it would show as "failed" -- which around these parts is as good as guilty.

this was after our role PM's said investigations would not work on us. That's why I was so loud up front.. figured why not get looked at and cleared early. Instead Ishy was told it failed.

meh... I suppose I should have asked exactly what an investigator would be told but I assumed it was pretty straightforward.

If you had killed one or 2 of us early our scum team could have been obliterated in 3 game days.

Well, I'll stand by what I did but without the whole Ape harpooning SMC I was picking Leelou, then Verb fwiw. Might have helped.

yeah we pretty much stood no chance but was fun....

thanks

Ridiculous...the mafia was as roled up as the town. You just had to get together and use the roles to their max benefit.

Ridiculous...the mafia was as roled up as the town. You just had to get together and use the roles to their max benefit.

I like you so I wouldn't punch you in the face if we met... but I might elbow you in the gut.

For sh*ts and giggles...

*I thought Wombat was for sure a Bomb start of D2 (I think it was) when he was going on about knowing who the 3rd party/shark was.

*Then I though JVOR was in the middle somewhere right before his reveal

*Then I thought Smash was when he revealed Tracker

*Also thought AVM when Pac was lynched and revealed his RC results

*Ape, was wifom'ing it most of the game, but it was so obvious I thought it could have been a fake wifom sorta thing. He actually played so bad it worked

*I figured there was a Scum and Town Bomb...maybe even more so anyone who even wifom'ed made me hesitate.

Yeah, the result of coming into the game planning to die D1 and then having to have to keep adjusting what I wanted to do as a result of some bad luck/timing with regards to when people revealed and when I was online.

If I wasn't in a complete haze when the game started I probably would have claimed LD on D1, even then though you might not have bit. Oh well, I don't do well with roles where I need to get killed... I spend so much energy in these games trying to devise ways to stay alive, it's a real change of pace.

Yeah, the result of coming into the game planning to die D1 and then having to have to keep adjusting what I wanted to do as a result of some bad luck/timing with regards to when people revealed and when I was online.

If I wasn't in a complete haze when the game started I probably would have claimed LD on D1, even then though you might not have bit. Oh well, I don't do well with roles where I need to get killed... I spend so much energy in these games trying to devise ways to stay alive, it's a real change of pace.

Yeah you also get a big mulligan with all you were going through at the time of this imo.

and one more thing... the apes play was borderline tragic.. he offered to be a martyr on day 2 over and over again. had a townie hammered him or a power role killed him with a poon' it would have been disastrous. By then we knew there was a bomb and weren't going anywhere near a hammer.

Yeah, I figured there were 2 outcomes there. I get myself killed and oh well, or I get myself into that "assumed townie" space in everyone's mind that Hess would eat me just to eliminate me. But then everyone ****ing revealed their power roles.

Hahaha... like I said, the only value I brought was probably lulz for some of you, and the logic to argue against the push to lynch Hess or waste all the harpoons on him before all the scum started dying. Otherwise, just a bad game.

Hopefully my next role allows me to focus more on how to take good reads on scum and turn them into lynches on scum, and none of this get myself killed sh*t.

wrong.

being ninjas meant nothing.. at all.

I keep trying to explain this: not every aspect of every role is designed to benefit the user. You have to think about what you are doing and use it to your advantage.

Being a ninja is a cover, no matter what. And you are discounting the other instances in which an investigator would get a similar "no results" reading - like if they were roleblocked.

You have to think outside of the box a little - the game is designed to max out your creativity.

Alternatively, if the Ninja role was like a Godfather role, and read "town" every time, that would have been way overloaded.

You are completely ignoring the psychological impact of any role, and the possible outcomes of all roles.

That's a bunch of bull.

bomb - No uncc'd bomb would ever get lynched with 4859594393 backup bombs in the game. Automatic clear or mafia/shark kill.

rolestopper - Way more than countering the roleblocker. It blocks kills too.

fisherman - like I said. Swingy.

Mrs. Crustacean - Even if the clear kills a town that is basically an extra lynch

Cop - no inherent downside

Watcher - Will only report people who visit the dead. High odds of catching scum, especially considering townies will probably have vettable claims.

Tracker - See above

Sensor - How is knowing the exact number or mafia on a lynch misleading?

Lie Detector - Plenty of obvious calls in every game.

Doc - no inherent downside

Weak Doc - Any weak doc who takes a chance before things get dire deserves what they get.

I disagree, Ape. Any time Pac and I are on a scum team, it's an uphill battle. We both get a lot of votes, normally.

I'm sorry Lily, what do you disagree with? My comment about JIF being your demise? That was a joke.

LOL, yeah it was definitely a moral dilemma. But I'm glad I chose our e-friendship ;). It was close though. Both roads would have brought the lulz but I was actually like, picturing you quitting mafia forever at the time.

LOL. Good job and you did the righ thing.

That's a bunch of bull.

bomb - No uncc'd bomb would ever get lynched with 4859594393 backup bombs in the game. Automatic clear or mafia/shark kill.

rolestopper - Way more than countering the roleblocker. It blocks kills too.

fisherman - like I said. Swingy.

Mrs. Crustacean - Even if the clear kills a town that is basically an extra lynch

Watcher - Will only report people who visit the dead. High odds of catching scum, especially considering townies will probably have vettable claims.

Tracker - See above

Sensor - How is knowing the exact number or mafia on a lynch misleading?

Lie Detector - Plenty of obvious calls in every game.

Weak Doc - Any weak doc who takes a chance before things get dire deserves what they get.

Between the vitriol in the scum thread, in-game and now this butthurt argument with DPR... me thinks Wombat might be next for teh emo.

That's a bunch of bull.

bomb - No uncc'd bomb would ever get lynched with 4859594393 backup bombs in the game. Automatic mafia/shark kill. ONLY ONE BOMB WAS ACTIVE AT A TIME, WHICH MULTIPLE PEOPLE SURMISED.

rolestopper - Way more than countering the roleblocker. It blocks kills too. COULD ALSO EASILY MISS. IT PREVENTS NA'S FROM GOING THROUGH - THAT INCLUDES PROTECTIONS. DUM DUM.

fisherman - like I said. Swingy. CUSTOM - ADMIT THAT HARPOONS KILLED TOWN MEMBERS, INCLUDING QUINT. HOW DID THAT WORK OUT FOR THE TOWN?

Mrs. Crustacean - Even if the clear kills a town that is basically an extra lynch - SEE ABOVE.

Cop - no inherent downside NOT SUPPOSED TO BE.

Watcher - Will only report people who visit the dead. High odds of catching scum, especially considering townies will probably have vettable claims. A WATCHER SEE WHOEVER TARGETED A PLAYER - DEAD DOESN'T HAVE A THING TO DO WITH IT.

Tracker - See above SEE ABOVE

Sensor - How is knowing the exact number or mafia on a lynch misleading? BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW THEY ARE MAFIA. HOW MANY LYNCHES SHOW THE SAME PEOPLE OVER AND OVER? HOW MANY MAFIA JUMP ON EVERY TOWN LYNCH? YOU'RE JUST BEING PIG-HEADED NOW.

Lie Detector - Plenty of obvious calls in every game. MOD IT AND TELL ME HOW CONVOLUTED IT GETS. IT'S A STICKY, STICKY ROLE THAT IS AS MISLEADING AS IT IS OBVIOUS.

Doc - no inherent downside MEH

Weak Doc - Any weak doc who takes a chance before things get dire deserves what they get. THIS COMPLETELY NEGATES YOUR POINT.

You are cemented to a way of thinking that is, simply put, incorrect. It's why i just handed you your ass by vig killing you in the alt game. Silly Wombat...

You clowns complain about the Ninja role and you didn't even use your Roleblocker on N2 because you're not paying attention or you are falling into the rut of playing the same game over and over.

Get over yourselves.

FWIW DPR gave us a great game lots of roles and the Shark ate almost all of them I dont think mafia played particularly well.

I was shocked that they went all-in on the "use the harpoons on Hess" and then "lynch Hess" plans. When SMC diverted the train on Wombat to a new train on Hess I was like WTF, didn't we try lynching Hess earlier in the game and it failed?

Saw Lily dead, and it was 80 or SMC. I chose SMC because I felt he would be the harder lynch of the two, haha...

Oh, sorry. I took it seriously.

No. Most everything I saw about or towards JIF is a joke - just like to see him act out.

Holy sh*t... here is what shows up first in google when you type in "faggy animated gif"

909356_o.gif

I sh*t you not. Google achieves perfection.

Batman - check.

Surfing - check.

Flailing arms like a mo - check.

Turns to give up the ass - check.

You are cemented to a way of thinking that is, simply put, incorrect. It's why i just handed you your ass by vig killing you in the alt game. Silly Wombat...

You clowns complain about the Ninja role and you didn't even use your Roleblocker on N2 because you're not paying attention or you are falling into the rut of playing the same game over and over.

Get over yourselves.

Dude.. you messed up a bit. It's ok. I made a mistake once back in 94'. We've all been there.

bomb - What's your point? One bomb is more than enough at one time.

rolestopper - What are you talking about? It prevents both protections and kills from going through and is therefore a de facto protection

fisherman - EXTRA LYNCHES

Mrs. Crustacean - EXTRA LYNCHES

Cop - I have no problem with the Cop role in an of itself. I do have a problem with it being combo'd with 10 other power roles in a game with less than 30 players.

Watcher - Death has a lot to do with it. Any Watcher who outs the visits to a living target who has not claimed some sort of negative effect on themselves is jumping the gun.

Tracker - See above

Sensor - Doesn't matter. With multiple days of results, you can start using simple logic to find clears and scum.

Lie Detector - I am never going to mod this role unless I make it insane just to **** with people. It is the worst role in the history of mafia.

Doc - See Cop

Weak Doc - How does that negate my point? I expect roles to be used in a manner that makes sense.

Get over yourselves.

Your need to bring in extraneous facts and Appeals to Emotion just show how untenable your stance is.

Town -

Protection - Doc, Weak Doc, whatever JC was, vests, vests, and more vests.

Investigation - Cop, Watcher, Tracker, LD... L D, whatever Leelou was.

Scum

fake ninjas, roleblocker, rolecop, janitor, and Sharrows 3 posts the first week of the game.

bomb - free mafia/Jaws kill in exchange for an otherwise vanilla townie

Not a guaranteed kill though

Let's say Ape had claimed

No one would have ever killed him and given the streak he was on early game that could have been a disaster for the town lol

It would also have kept the rest of us backup bombs vanilla

rolestopper - doc/semi-framer - take that trade any day

Give you that one

fisherman - definite downside but really swingy; didn't end up hurting town much at all

This is one of those roles that defines the game and is defined by how the person plays it

It ended up being good for town because SMC made good decisions on who to trust with what and those people lived up to those expectations for the most part

Mrs. Crustacean - Zero downside when giving harpoons to clears

What if there were no clears?

Watcher - no inherent downside

Tracker - no inherent downside

Granted

Although unless I'm misunderstanding how DPR used "Ninja" the Watcher and Tracker could not find scum

Sensor - can't catch shark but OP against mafia

Granted

I don't think this role have been in the game tbh

Feels a little weird with the scum being persons of power in the town

Who exactly is monitoring them?

Lie Detector - always OP (I hate this role so much)

Kind of agree

It's not SO bad in big games but if I ever use it again it will come with some kind of downside

Or at least be X shot and not unlimited

Protecting the bomb maybe?

Depends on how DPR would handle that

Weak Doc - very little downside given self-protection (either self-protect or protect a clear)

True

All in all I think it stings more because you were on the losing side

I think scum should have had one more member or maybe their own doc to protect themselves from all the potential killing roles out there

Archived