JAWS MAFIA - Game Thread

DPR

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the dead thread I was given, not much there but setup:

http://www.quicktopi...8/H/2hcVK4EiVBr

That's all I had time to put up...

There's a whole hell of a lot to explain as far as dynamics go - that's really just the skeleton.

I'm putting out fires left and right today, but love to talk about setup and game dynamics. Better for me if we keep it on this thread though - I think I'll transfer it:

Here it tis:

JAWS Mafia

MAFIA TEAM:

Pac - Larry Vaughn, Dirty Rolecop and Ninja

Lily - Town Council, Executioner and Ninja

80 - Town Council, Roleblocker and Ninja

Sharrow / JiF 2.0- Town Council, Janitor and Ninja

Wombat - Assassin Symp turned Mafia Goon

3RD PARTY:

Hess - JAWS, Serial KIller

TOWN:

Ape - Martin Brody, Bomb

AVM - Ellen Brody, Back-up Bomb

Christine - Michael Brody, Back-up Bomb

Nolder - Sean Brody, Back-up bomb

Vic / JC 2.0 - Hooper, Rolestopper

SMC - Quint, Fisherman

CTM - Mr. Crustacean the first mate, Bodyguard to Quint.

Verb - Originally Mrs. Kintner (who would have set off the Shark Derby if her son died) but now Mrs. Crustacean, wife of first mate, Hidden

Rand - was Alex Kintner. UNtil I found out he really was 14. Irony can be a funny thing...

Leelou - Deputy Hendricks, Sidekick

Ishy - Cassidy, Alignment Cop

BG - CTM 2.0 - Ben Gardner (of course...I had to), Watcher

Smash - Charlie, Tracker

Crusher - Mr. Denholder, Sensor

JiF - Mr. Posner, Voyeur

JVoR - Mrs. Posner, Lie Detector

JC - Harbor Master, Doc

Shinori - Mr. Wiseman, Lover

Tina - Mrs. Wiseman, Lover

EP - no name, Gunsmith

Migsi - no name, Weak Doc

I'll let the players describe what the roles did, how they played them and how it all turned out.

Just so folks know - I'm doing a game on DM in the next few days or so - SPIDER COUNTRY - and everyone is welcome.

I've got to bail for a few - if anyone wants to post a sign-ups link that's fine.

Verb, I'm gonna start this one next Monday or Tuesday unless you have any objections?

So I spend D1 trying to breadcrumb a role - hence 100% on JC, granted I totally thought he was scum, but I chose to use that words specifically to get the shark to target me. I recall Pac grilling me most about me using that language.

Then the whole exercise of "say I'm town..." was to breadcrumb LD, and when I was about to reveal that I LD'ed Shinobi to vet him and Tina, JVOR revealed LOL. So I didn't have a plan of what to do next... and before I came up with something, JVOR was eaten. Just bad timing.

Hess ate right before all the moments I was going to claim something. I was slow on the draw.

My scum hunting got better later in the game, that made me happy, but I think I only really impacted the lynch of Wombat. Leelou shot Pac without regardless of my case.

A lot of collaborative credit goes around in this one. But that girl, she really kicked ass. I want to make a parade for her with tickertape and stuff.

Amazing game, DPR. So many roles. The shark derby wouldve been cool, but LOL at a real kid in the game.

I was real cautious in what I handed out and when, but HESS was so freakin quick on kills I didnt have time to submit the vests for Ishy and JVoR. I was able to give a vest to Verbal and Smash. I was pissed at Verbal because I had given him a vest so he can hand out last harpoon, but then he dissapeared. I gave myself a vest D1 to make sure I stayed alive long enough.

:)

So, why was I next on your dinner list?

Like Dan you're kind of a straightforward player, especially as town. Which is why you're both really good sifting through all the wifoms. For the most part is doesn't effect you. So when you started making nice kills at scum and playing super townie I looked back at D1 quint requests. You took a vest over harpoon. My guess was everyone would assume the harpoon would help kill the shark and if I'm a bomb I want to pressure the shark to eat me b/c I took the harpoon.

You and Verb were going to be the next two eaten.

I probably never would have won anyway b/c I didn't trust what could have been a Pac wifom on AVM...I really thought AVM was probably a Scum Bomb. I was leaving him and Nol alone until I had to.

The way I played my role was as vanilla townie

Just scumhunting and voting

I was hoping to get a harpoon at some point just so it'd be easier to lynch me if I ever became an active bomb but SOMEBODY never gave me a harpoon

Anyway GG Leelou and great setup DPR

I have to know what would have happened in Shark Derby though

Thanks!

BTW. In the PM I sent to DPR for handing out the harpoons to Ape and CTM I wrote at the top: "this is a social experiment." LOL

LOL, yeah it was definitely a moral dilemma. But I'm glad I chose our e-friendship ;). It was close though. Both roads would have brought the lulz but I was actually like, picturing you quitting mafia forever at the time.

LOL, yeah it was definitely a moral dilemma. But I'm glad I chose our e-friendship ;). It was close though. Both roads would have brought the lulz but I was actually like, picturing you quitting mafia forever at the time.

It was way more memorable doing it your way. One of my favorite moments was when you became outted Jaws and were just ****ing with the puny humans who couldn't kill you.

A lot of great play by a lot of people. A great setup that was a blast to play. Thanks, Wes. Definitely one to remember.

bomb - free mafia/Jaws kill in exchange for an otherwise vanilla townie

rolestopper - doc/semi-framer - take that trade any day

fisherman - definite downside but really swingy; didn't end up hurting town much at all

Mrs. Crustacean - Zero downside when giving harpoons to clears

Cop - no inherent downside

Watcher - no inherent downside

Tracker - no inherent downside

Sensor - can't catch shark but OP against mafia

Lie Detector - always OP (I hate this role so much)

Doc - no inherent downside

Weak Doc - very little downside given self-protection (either self-protect or protect a clear)

Pretty sure I ate like 4 or 5 town power roles for you.

we were Ninjas who's actions were NOT hidden and who if investigated it would show as "failed" -- which around these parts is as good as guilty.

this was after our role PM's said investigations would not work on us. That's why I was so loud up front.. figured why not get looked at and cleared early. Instead Ishy was told it failed.

meh... I suppose I should have asked exactly what an investigator would be told but I assumed it was pretty straightforward.

If you had killed one or 2 of us early our scum team could have been obliterated in 3 game days.

For sh*ts and giggles...

*I thought Wombat was for sure a Bomb start of D2 (I think it was) when he was going on about knowing who the 3rd party/shark was.

*Then I though JVOR was in the middle somewhere right before his reveal

*Then I thought Smash was when he revealed Tracker

*Also thought AVM when Pac was lynched and revealed his RC results

*Ape, was wifom'ing it most of the game, but it was so obvious I thought it could have been a fake wifom sorta thing. He actually played so bad it worked

*I figured there was a Scum and Town Bomb...maybe even more so anyone who even wifom'ed made me hesitate.

bomb - free mafia/Jaws kill in exchange for an otherwise vanilla townie THE ACTIVE BOMB WOULD GO OFF AT ANY LYNCH, ANY KILL, AND FOR THE SHARK.

rolestopper - doc/semi-framer - take that trade any day COUNTERS THE ROLEBLOCKER

fisherman - definite downside but really swingy; didn't end up hurting town much at all THIS WAS A CUSTOM APPLICATION, GIVING A PLAYER THE POWER TO HAND OUT 26 HARPOONS AT THEIR DISCRETION. DEPENDING ON WHO GO THE ROLE. OUTCOMES VARY PER PERSON GIVEN THE ROLE.

Mrs. Crustacean - Zero downside when giving harpoons to clears EXCEPT THAT THE CLEARS COULD KILL TOWN, AS WE SAW IN THE GAME.

Cop - no inherent downside

Watcher - no inherent downside UNLESS THEY REPORTED THE TRACKER OR VOYEUR, NOT KNOWING WHO THEY WERE.

Tracker - no inherent downside SEE ABOVE

Sensor - can't catch shark but OP against mafia INFO CAN BE AS MISLEADING AS HELPFUL.

Lie Detector - always OP (I hate this role so much) DEPENDS ON WHO IS USING THE ROLE. HONESTLY, HALF OF ALL PLAYERS BOTCH IT EXCEPT FOR OBVIOUS CALLS.

Doc - no inherent downside

Weak Doc - very little downside given self-protection (either self-protect or protect a clear) ASSUMING THE PLAYER NEVER, EVER TAKES A CHANCE. BECAUSE THAT ALWAYS HAPPENS...

You are completely ignoring the psychological impact of any role, and the possible outcomes of all roles.

Archived