Mike and Mike think the Jets will suck

Pac

I don't know about likely, but it's certainly in the realm of possibility.

Defense really needs to be better, particularly about forcing 3 & outs and turnovers. Improving the excellent field position the offense was gifted with last year will be key.

I was in the midst of typing up a post that stated how their 3rd down defense, probably has to be at the top of their priority list of things to improve this year. I ended up looking at the numbers and we were tied for third in the league at holding opposing teams from converting 3rd downs at 32.7% of the time. I would have guessed we were towards the bottom as it seems so many game-killing drives came on third downs. Pretty surprised.

I was in the midst of typing up a post that stated how their 3rd down defense, probably has to be at the top of their priority list of things to improve this year. I ended up looking at the numbers and we were tied for third in the league at holding opposing teams from converting 3rd downs at 32.7% of the time. I would have guessed we were towards the bottom as it seems so many game-killing drives came on third downs. Pretty surprised.

How did they rank on 3 & outs, though? I know they're a great 3rd down defense, but the key is stopping the other team from getting a first on first or second down.

Another two slap dick talking heads....believe me most think the Mike and Mike "talk" show sucks the big red one!

LOL, it's the highest rated radio talk show in the nation, dude. That doesn't mean their predictions are worth a damn, but give credit where it's due, friend. They have been on for years now and show no sign of slowing down.

How did they rank on 3 & outs, though? I know they're a great 3rd down defense, but the key is stopping the other team from getting a first on first or second down.

Well f*** me. I knew there was a parameter I was missing. That was just for third downs, couldn't find for third and outs. That's what I was initially referring to, as I remember our third and long defense being pretty subpar last year. Not having any numbers to back that up, it's relatively unsubstantiated.

They ranked 7th with 26.4% of opponents' drives ending in a 3-and-out.

The Bengals were first at 31.3% and the Raiders were last at 15.7%.

The Super Bowl winners? 25th at 20.6%.

They ranked 7th with 26.4% of opponents' drives ending in a 3-and-out.

The Bengals were first at 31.3% and the Raiders were last at 15.7%.

The Super Bowl winners? 25th at 20.6%.

In case anyone was wondering, the offense finished 29th, with 30.3% of drives ending in a 3-and-out.

Yeah, that was kinda my point. The Jets offense needs all the help it can get. The Super Bowl winners, not quite so much.

I don't know about likely, but it's certainly in the realm of possibility.

Defense really needs to be better, particularly about forcing 3 & outs and turnovers. Improving the excellent field position the offense was gifted with last year will be key.

I think the part about the defense improving is likely for sure. This is the best defensive line we've had under Rex, and we improved our safeties considerably. The injury thing is a concern with the safeties though, good thing we got Smith and a couple rookies behind them.

Offensively, I'm not sure we're any worse than we were last year.. replacing Buress with Hill is probably addition by subtraction. The only item that hurts is losing L.T., and the fear that Sanchez will regress again (given the way he ended the season.)

And they get plenty of it from the defense and return units, as is evidenced by having the 3rd best starting field position in the league last year.

Are you saying that the defense and special teams are good but the offense sucks? Then I'm not disagreeing with you.

My point is that the Jets should have also known this, and yet they made the conscious decision to draft defense with two of their top three picks, and to spend more in FA on that side of the ball as well. If this is the team they've decided to construct, then the side of the ball they've opted to improve upon needs to be even better if they're to justify their strategy.

No disrespect, seriously. But you must be 16 years old because you sound clueless with respect to the Jets offense.

How could I possibly take offense to that?

Holmes: Without a real QB able to consistently get him the ball + a ground and pound offensive philosophy means he will pout like a b1tch.....like he did last year.

What exactly are you basing this on? As far as I know Mark and Holmes have yet to play a game together this year. You choose to believe Mark has regressed, I think his rapport with Holmes will have improved.

Green: He scares no one. He can't catch the ball out of the back field. He is not elusive. Can't wait to see him against 8 man fronts.

Green is in a contract year and has by all accounts been running with a purpose. He'll do everything he can to try and make the big pay day. Both he and Mark are in the midst of make or break years.

Hill: He is a rookie WR - they typically take time to develop. Considering GA Tech's offensive scheme and the fact he only caught 49 passes in 3 years there - he will likely

take a couple of years to develop.

If he's able to stretch the field, open up some underneath stuff, and catch an occassional bomb, then it's a good rookie year.

Keller: Our best weapon, like him a lot. But elite he is not.

Tebow: If you have two QBs in this league, you dont have one.

Keller and Mark are tight and he's also playing for a contract.

I'm optimistic the Tebow package will be a success.

I don't think any of that is clueless or something a 16 year old would say.. In fact the teenagers are usually the eternal pessimists who constantly whine about everything sucking.. sound familiar?

Are you saying that the defense and special teams are good but the offense sucks? Then I'm not disagreeing with you.

My point is that the Jets should have also known this, and yet they made the conscious decision to draft defense with two of their top three picks, and to spend more in FA on that side of the ball as well. If this is the team they've decided to construct, then the side of the ball they've opted to improve upon needs to be even better if they're to justify their strategy.

Of course that's what I'm saying.

As far as spending, as the artist-formery-known-as alluded to in the other thread, investing in the offense at this point without a competent signal caller is like pissing in the wind.

The position they really should have invested in is punter.

How could I possibly take offense to that?

What exactly are you basing this on? As far as I know Mark and Holmes have yet to play a game together this year. You choose to believe Mark has regressed, I think his rapport with Holmes will have improved.

Green is in a contract year and has by all accounts been running with a purpose. He'll do everything he can to try and make the big pay day. Both he and Mark are in the midst of make or break years.

If he's able to stretch the field, open up some underneath stuff, and catch an occassional bomb, then it's a good rookie year.

Keller and Mark are tight and he's also playing for a contract.

I'm optimistic the Tebow package will be a success.

I don't think any of that is clueless or something a 16 year old would say.. In fact the teenagers are usually the eternal pessimists who constantly whine about everything sucking.. sound familiar?

You are not optimistic; just a homer with blinders on.....with zero ability to give a unbiased opinion on the team you love.

LOL, it's the highest rated radio talk show in the nation, dude. That doesn't mean their predictions are worth a damn, but give credit where it's due, friend. They have been on for years now and show no sign of slowing down.

So is Fancesas, but as a Jet fan you have to kringe listening to most talking heads. But let me remind you, in 2009 those"experts" predicted doom and gloom and in 2010 they "band wagoned"....

Yes but you also need to take into consideration "good teams find a way to win".......

No you dont

by your definition, tebow is great, even though many of his wins were giftwrapped like Marion barber going out of bounds

Tony Ohno gave game away

No you dont

by your definition, tebow is great, even though many of his wins were giftwrapped like Marion barber going out of bounds

Tony Ohno gave game away

Your arguement is weak dude....one game (dallas) vs. 3 games (Denver, Giants and Raiders). I never said Tebow is great...but what I did say is he took a slap dick team and "lead" them to the playoffs. Thats a fact....Give the kid a chance....and would you argue that it's time Sanchez performs?

To be fair, isn't Greenberg a Jets fan? Saying the Jets will suck and be 6-10 might be decades of disappointment talking. No excuse for Golic.

While it's not the worst thing ESPN puts out, it's certainly not good. For people who have spent so much time of their life in sports, playing or broadcasting, it's amazing how obtuse they can be. These are the type of guys who still think wins is one of the best indicators for cy young voting; it's taken years to hear a single one of them (anyone in mainstream sports) mention WHIP or any type of fielding independent stats. I've listened to them plenty, but they are just prozaced versions of Boomer and Carton.

This is a weird phenomenon in baseball that doesn't happen anywhere else in the same way, though. Sabermetrics guys vs. non-sabermetrics guys. Regular nerds vs. uber!nerds, if you will. Part of the problem is that I don't think a lot of people really understand sabermetrics. They're more complicated and not easy to explain to the average baseball fan. That, along with resistance to change - which seems to be especially a problem in MLB and MLB people - keeps a lot of that kind of analysis from going more mainstream.

And prozaced though they may be, I still prefer them to Boomer and Carton. Boomer's okay most of the time, but if Carton never spoke again, I wouldn't be crying any tears because we lost his brilliant insight.

Your arguement is weak dude....one game (dallas) vs. 3 games (Denver, Giants and Raiders). I never said Tebow is great...but what I did say is he took a slap dick team and "lead" them to the playoffs. Thats a fact....Give the kid a chance....and would you argue that it's time Sanchez performs?

samchize blows pondscum

Dude, they were an 8-8 team last year - dont act like they were 11-5.

This offense is going to be below average. Regardless of the improvements on D, this offense will be so inept that it will adversely effect the D, who will spend way too much time on the field - eventually that will show.

Name one guy on our offense that opposing D coordinators have to worry about. I'm not even saying a guy that will keep opposing D coordinators awake at night. Just someone on our O that could cause concern for opposing teams........oh right, we don't have one.

yet you expect our Qb to play well ? I agree with you our offense sucks on every level but I dont blame our QB for that

yet you expect our Qb to play well ? I agree with you our offense sucks on every level but I dont blame our QB for that

That's where our opinions differ. I just don't think Sanchez is the player we hoped/thought he could be when we drafted him. I've watched every game of his career and though I am no scout, I don't see the makings of a real franchise QB.

I read a lot of scouts opinions on Sanchez (Football Outsiders, Scouts Inc, former NFL QBs) and the consensus is pretty clear, unfortunately. He is an average QB.

I don't think in this day and age an average QB can win a Super Bowl. Sure you may have an anomaly once every so often (Dilfer and Brad Johnson in the early 2000s) but the league more than ever is so QB driven.

That's where our opinions differ. I just don't think Sanchez is the player we hoped/thought he could be when we drafted him. I've watched every game of his career and though I am no scout, I don't see the makings of a real franchise QB.

I read a lot of scouts opinions on Sanchez (Football Outsiders, Scouts Inc, former NFL QBs) and the consensus is pretty clear, unfortunately. He is an average QB.

I don't think in this day and age an average QB can win a Super Bowl. Sure you may have an anomaly once every so often (Dilfer and Brad Johnson in the early 2000s) but the league more than ever is so QB driven.

you may very well be correct all im saying is give the kid a chance to prove that label wrong hes still young and we've seen QB's turn the corner at this age before.

you may very well be correct all im saying is give the kid a chance to prove that label wrong hes still young and we've seen QB's turn the corner at this age before.

I know we have seen QBs turn the corner. However I feel like those QBs always showed flashes of individual brilliance. I hope he proves me wrong - sadly I just don't think he will.

If he doesn't make a big step forward and we end up with 5 wins - this organization must make a move in next years draft hoping to land a franchise QB...if they think one is out there.

I know we have seen QBs turn the corner. However I feel like those QBs always showed flashes of individual brilliance. I hope he proves me wrong - sadly I just don't think he will.

If he doesn't make a big step forward and we end up with 5 wins - this organization must make a move in next years draft hoping to land a franchise QB...if they think one is out there.

ok lets look at the numbers he went to 2 AFC championship games, won 4 playoff road games, Has 11 4th quarter comeback victories, not bad and probably better than most 3 year QB's would you agree ? His numbers over a season are nothing special nor are his comp percentage and INT.s but he has displayed clutch which some great QB's have never displayed in the playoffs their entire careers

FWIW Peyton Manning played pretty bad his first 8 years in the playoffs. Sure his numbers during the season were off the charts but man he was getting some really bad raps in the playoffs for happy feet and choking until he finally won the big one

Archived