Nice Sanchez takedown by George Willis in the Post.

T0mShane

Mark won’t soar until he shows some backbone

By GEORGE WILLIS

Last Updated: 2:03 AM, September 20, 2012

One of these days Mark Sanchez will figure out it’s time to stand up for himself. He won’t become the quarterback the Jets need him to be until he does.

Remember when Eli Manning finally stood up for himself when Tiki Barber questioned his leadership skills? Manning gained the respect of his locker room and went on to win two Super Bowls. The Jets won’t truly be Sanchez’s team until he does something similar.

Entering his fourth season as the starter, the Jets should be his team by now. But they’re not. Not yet. That’s why he wasn’t given a chance to make something happen in the final minute before halftime of the Jets’ 27-10 loss at Pittsburgh last week.

Instead of putting the game in his hands with two timeouts and trailing 13-10, the Jets thought they could break a long run and go from there. When it didn’t work, they packed it in for the half instead of giving Sanchez a chance to make a big play with a long completion or draw a pass interference penalty from the overwhelmed replacement refs.

Sanchez had a chance to stand up for himself yesterday when asked about that sideline decision. But he deferred. “Ultimately, it’s their call,” he said, referring to the Jets coaching staff. When pressed, he stuck to his story. “You’ve got to ask Coach. It’s Coach’s call. I’m on board.”

Sure, that’s part of being a good soldier. But Sanchez should have stuck up for himself. He should have made it known that he wanted the ball; that he wanted one shot to make something happen before the half. It’s hard to imagine given the same situation that quarterbacks from Eli Manning to Cam Newton wouldn’t have been given a chance to make at least one play. Instead the Jets didn’t play to win the half, they played cautious.

It was telling Rex Ryan pointed to Sanchez not committing a turnover as being an impressive aspect of his play against the Steelers.

“It gave us a chance,” the coach said. Sanchez should be at the point where it’s more important for him to win the game and not lose it.

In his defense, Sanchez has a lot to handle and much of it is not his own doing. He didn’t make the decision to bring in Santonio Holmes, who has turned into a locker room lightning rod, and it wasn’t his decision to bring in Tim Tebow and the media circus he attracts. Sanchez has been forced to live with the consequences.

Yesterday he spent more time answering questions about Holmes and Tebow than the Dolphins. He went out of his way to say how he has been impressed with Holmes’ work ethic and effort.

“You can work with a guy like that,” he said, as if this was the first game they’d played together.

He also dodged questions about

whether Tebow should be utilized more against the Dolphins, offering the non-committal “we’ll see.”

Sanchez has yet to appear tired of Tebow questions, but he has to be. What other quarterback in the league is constantly asked his opinion about how much his backup is going to play?

Burdened with trying to say all the right things to not offend management or his teammates has kept Sanchez from evolving into all he can be. He spends so much time trying not to step on toes it keeps him from becoming the commanding presence the Jets need.

It’s admirable he’s willing to accept his share of the blame. “I have to play better,” he said. “I have to put us in the right play.” But there are other times he needs to stand up for himself.

Whether it’s saying he’s had enough with the Tebow questions or demanding the ball with a minute left in the half, it’s time Sanchez sticks up for himself because, in the end, nobody else will.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh so this a$$hole wants Sanchez to publicly disagree with his head coach and compares that to Eli responding to Idiot Tiki Barber who was no longer on the team ? This article is rdiculous

Eli also said he was an elite QB before this past season, then went out and proved it.

The point isn't just about Sanchez's play in one game. This was just one instance of many where the coaching staff showed their lack of faith in Sanchez and he did little to suggest they SHOULD have faith in him.

Ahh so this a$$hole wants Sanchez to publicly disagree with his head coach and compares that to Eli responding to Idiot Tiki Barber who was no longer on the team ? This article is rdiculous

lmfao- basically the guy is encouraging Sanchez to become a malcontent. I mean, look at how well Jay Cutler standing up for himself is going.

This to me is the classic "Monday Morning QB"

If the Jets go for the score and turn it over and the Steelers get a cheap score out of it then its "What the hell are the Jets doing ?"

I didn't have a huge issue with going into the locker room down 13-10 and getting the ball to start to the second half.

At some point though during the season I think Sanchez (Might be telling Holmes to STFU and catch the damn ball, could be Tebow relieving him on a day that Sanchez struggles) will have to make the stand and make this team HIS team.

It is going to be interesting to see how he and the Jets handle this entire season.

Eli also said he was an elite QB before this past season, then went out and proved it.

The point isn't just about Sanchez's play in one game. This was just one instance of many where the coaching staff showed their lack of faith in Sanchez and he did little to suggest they SHOULD have faith in him.

Eli was also the QB of a 0-2 team the first year they won the SB.

The guy by in large was awful that season....56%, 3330, 23 td, 20 int, 13 fumbles.

How quickly people forget that him and Coughlin were almost run out of town before the magical run.

The guy by in large was awful that season....56%, 3330, 23 td, 20 int, 13 fumbles.

How quickly people forget that him and Coughlin were almost run out of town before the magical run.

I'm talking about last year. You know, the one where Eli said he was elite, then went out and threw for 5,000+ (while reducing his # of turnovers) and won his 2nd Super Bowl. Wish we had a guy like that.

Yes, him and Coughlin were "almost" run out of town by the fans. Further proof that New York fans, particularly Giants fans, are stupid and spoiled. If they'd lost to the Bucs yesterday they'd probably be trying to run Coughlin out of town again.

If the Jets go for the score and turn it over and the Steelers get a cheap score out of it then its "What the hell are the Jets doing ?"

Which is why I support the move, even now, especially given Sanchez's propensity to have a costly turnover at the end of a half in Pittsburgh.

But that's more of an indictment of Sanchez than anything. The coaching staff ought to have the faith that Sanchez WON'T do that this time around, but they don't.

I'm talking about last year. You know, the one where Eli said he was elite, then went out and threw for 5,000+ (while reducing his # of turnovers) and won his 2nd Super Bowl. Wish we had a guy like that.

Yes, him and Coughlin were "almost" run out of town by the fans. Further proof that New York fans, particularly Giants fans, are stupid and spoiled. If they'd lost to the Bucs yesterday they'd probably be trying to run Coughlin out of town again.

Cool...well I was using your post and referencing back to the article. The article talked about how Eli in his 4th season finally stood up for himself and Sanchez should do the same. I simply pointed out Eli was awful his 4th season and his team started 0-2. I wonder what types of articles were being written about him at that point in the season.

Point being, its week ****ing 2!!!!!!! and he had a bad game on the road vs. the Steelers. OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if only he could be more like Eli was in his 4th season.

Exactly: They were booing him after that November debacle against Minnesota where like 3 of his int's were taking back for TD's.

Maybe you should re read the article since the writer is referencing the Issue between Tiki and Eli not Eli;s claim of being elite. Your bringing up sh*t the guy didnt even use in the article. What this guy is basicly saying is what JIF and myself referenced hes looking to start trouble by trying to push Sanchez to disagree with his head coach which is nothing short of stupid and will NEVER happen nor would it have happened with Eli if Tiki was still a member of the Giants when Eli shot back at Tikis comments.

You wish we had Eli and I wish we had the Giants pass rush which was the real reason that team made 2 SB runs after having a few half assed seasons. Yes Eli played well during those playoffs but with the amount of lucky breaks that team had during both runs including the regular season barely making the playoffs and the way the defensive line played is what made it happen. Sometimes you do need a little luck to win a SB the Giants had an abundance of it.

This to me is the classic "Monday Morning QB"

I didn't have a huge issue with going into the locker room down 13-10 and getting the ball to start to the second half.

At some point though during the season I think Sanchez (Might be telling Holmes to STFU and catch the damn ball, could be Tebow relieving him on a day that Sanchez struggles) will have to make the stand and make this team HIS team.

It is going to be interesting to see how he and the Jets handle this entire season.

If the ball was inside the 20 I would agree with you but it was on the 35 yardline. Not trying to at least get a field goal there no matter WTF Rex was thinking, about his QB or anything else, was just bad coaching .

When exactly did this happen again? The truth is that's nothing but a myth fabricated around the ridiculous concept that he's given complete credit for two mediocre regular seasons that were followed by defensive-driven Super Bowl wins (I mean come on, 17-14 and 21-17 wins against a team with one of the league's best offenses and worst defenses?).

The truth is Eli's play and mouth would have gotten him run out of town long ago if his D was not constantly bailing him out of his first-half no-shows. Other than it being because he plays for the Giants, I seriously don't understand the constant measurements against Eli, considering there's no so-called "top QB" in all of the NFL I'd want Sanchez to be less like.

When exactly did this happen again? The truth is that's nothing but a myth fabricated around the ridiculous concept that he's given complete credit for two mediocre regular seasons that were followed by defensive-driven Super Bowl wins (I mean come on, 17-14 and 21-17 wins against a team with one of the league's best offenses and worst defenses?).

The truth is Eli's play and mouth would have gotten him run out of town long ago if his D was not constantly bailing him out of his first-half no-shows. Other than it being because he plays for the Giants, I seriously don't understand the constant measurements against Eli, considering there's no so-called "top QB" in all of the NFL I'd want Sanchez to be less like.

I'll take the 5,000 yards and 2 rings (the last one with the # 32 running game), thanks.

Almost run out of town...twice. Funny how this guy didn't mention Eli's pick-6 last week before the half.

Oh and Tom Brady isnt elite. Hasn't won a SB without Seymour and couldn't win without the Pats D or Vinateri. Also got lucky with that whole tuck rule game.

Roethlisberger is not elite because of the Steelers' run game and D back when he started. He barely beat the Seahawks and Cardinals (how random are those two?) and needed ref help for both.

I'm going to try to come up with moments that makes it impossible to call a QB elite.

Peyton Manning didn't win a SB until a competent Colts D came out and he sucked in his winning SB.

Archived