the power surge

Maxman

I blame Vegas.. Seattle cost them $100 million didnt it? The moneyline was +180 Baltimore, the second half was +7 Baltimore.. Does anyone really think Vegas didn't have someone at the game like they would any major event?

They were going to lose a LOT of money. That line opened even and closed SF -4.5

I would think if casual people were at super bowl parties they would have left at the power outage since an ass kicking was going on.

And its obvious CBS was not prepared for this at all. almost a minute of dead air. sideline reporters with no clue on how to ad-lib or even give us a clue on whats going on. JB and gang completely clueless with hacky jokes and little information.

And as for the commercials, they werent prepared on that end either. since the slot the commercials for certain points of the game, it was surprising they didnt have other commercials they could plug in there at a moments notice. Terrible all around for CBS. The #1 network failed miserably when it time to go off-script.

Will Leitch's take:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/41380438/

I blame Vegas.. Seattle cost them $100 million didnt it? The moneyline was +180 Baltimore, the second half was +7 Baltimore.. Does anyone really think Vegas didn't have someone at the game like they would any major event?

They were going to lose a LOT of money. That line opened even and closed SF -4.5

i heard 70% of the action was on 49ers so Vegas did not benefit from this.

but still... that's entertainment.

if for 1 second you forget that the NFL is about as real as a broadway play, witness last night's conveniently timed power surge.

I would think if casual people were at super bowl parties they would have left at the power outage since an ass kicking was going on.

And its obvious CBS was not prepared for this at all. almost a minute of dead air. sideline reporters with no clue on how to ad-lib or even give us a clue on whats going on. JB and gang completely clueless with hacky jokes and little information.

And as for the commercials, they werent prepared on that end either. since the slot the commercials for certain points of the game, it was surprising they didnt have other commercials they could plug in there at a moments notice. Terrible all around for CBS. The #1 network failed miserably when it time to go off-script.

Will Leitch's take:

http://www.sportsone...ticle/41380438/

These days nobody really stops 'watching' the super bowl. It was a blowout, but it was the beginning of the second half still. And suddenly a power outage. In an era with fear of terrorism, shootings, cyber warfare, etc. People would be glued to their TV. What happened. etc. Bars would love it as well as people forced to buy more drinks and wait. And talk. and Wait. And discuss what the hell was going on. CBS screwed it up, but in a game of this magnitude and audience, and the way they prepare for anything, it's odd that nothing was prepared in the even of a power outage. I mean this is new orleans and the superdome. AKA the place where people went to stay during Katrina.

These days nobody really stops 'watching' the super bowl. It was a blowout, but it was the beginning of the second half still. And suddenly a power outage. In an era with fear of terrorism, shootings, cyber warfare, etc. People would be glued to their TV. What happened. etc. Bars would love it as well as people forced to buy more drinks and wait. And talk. and Wait. And discuss what the hell was going on. CBS screwed it up, but in a game of this magnitude and audience, and the way they prepare for anything, it's odd that nothing was prepared in the even of a power outage. I mean this is new orleans and the superdome. AKA the place where people went to stay during Katrina.

well.. according to the numbers..all time record for ratings. the peak of viewership was 10:30-10:45. But one surprise, CBS left out the ratings for the time period of the blackout so as to not lower the overall number.... guess we'll have to wait to see what the quarterhour breakdown is for the whole game to see the whole picture

It's not the generators or lack of power that was an issue, it's the innate nature of those lights. I don't know for certain what type of lights they were using, but I'm pretty sure they're some sort of metal-halide and once those lights lose power, they require a "warm-up" period of time to get back operating. Still pretty odd timing for something like that to happen.

A rat chewed through a wire at the Boston Garden during a Bruins game and the lights went out. Might have been in the playoffs too.

The Superdome is a bout 40 years old. Im thinking rats.

A rat chewed through a wire at the Boston Garden during a Bruins game and the lights went out. Might have been in the playoffs too.

The Superdome is a bout 40 years old. Im thinking rats.

In one of my electrical classes I remember reading about the untold millions/billions of dollars of damage that rats do to city infrastructures every year, it's actually pretty hilarious. I don't want to offer an estimate as it'd be a complete stab in the dark, but I remember it being beyond anything anyone in the class guessed by about 100-fold.

I don't think it's fixed. I do think the NFL and TV has an interest in keeping games close though. A blow out means nobody is watching the 4th quarter. No commercials. No game. Probably don't stick around for the shows after the game. Money. Viewers. Interest.

I understand the time it takes, I don't understand for a game of this magnitude and everything else that goes into making sure it's perfect, how they wouldn't figure a way for these lights not to go out. And it just the lights or a power outage? It seemed the media stated it was a power outage. Not just a light outage.

It's my understanding that ads are paid for before the games, not in real time. So, a blow-out is irrelevant. If ratings are low in the 4th, ratings may be down for the game, but no one spending Super Bowl money is going to hedge against another blow-out next year, so again, it's irrelevant.

Archived