John Abraham Released

TNJet

I say we take a look at this old Jet Falcon beast. He is getting up there in age yet he still had 10 sacks last season. I watched him in the playoffs and he still has the burst to get pressure on the QB. Bring him back to where he was drafted to retire a Jet and help us cope with the loss of Pace (even if minimal). He can only help the youngsters like Coples and Wilkerson get better. Abe for OLB/DE!

Wouldn’t that be interesting. 

Under the prior regime I think he would be heavily  considered.  I can see Rex wanting to use him in the Jason Taylor role.

I don’t think Idzik is going to go for it.  The older part time vet doesn’t seem to be the direction he wants to go in.  Still interesting thought.

Could be a stop gap till the Jets get Clowney next season :)

I think he's like Freeny.  He'd be great in the Maybin role, but I don't think he's a 3-4 OLB.  He's been playing 4-3 rush end and is a little long in the tooth to switch spots.  He'd be great to have as a role player if he came cheap enough, but he is still too good as a starter to come cheaply. 

I think he's like Freeny.  He'd be great in the Maybin role, but I don't think he's a 3-4 OLB.  He's been playing 4-3 rush end and is a little long in the tooth to switch spots.  He'd be great to have as a role player if he came cheap enough, but he is still too good as a starter to come cheaply. 

Good point, yet I remember his rookie year with the jets he played inside and outside LB. He does have experience standing up.

I think he's like Freeny. He'd be great in the Maybin role, but I don't think he's a 3-4 OLB. He's been playing 4-3 rush end and is a little long in the tooth to switch spots. He'd be great to have as a role player if he came cheap enough, but he is still too good as a starter to come cheaply. [/quote

Pretty much. Roster needs pass rushers.

Abraham >>> Freeney IMO.

Dude had 10 sacks and 6 FF's.  I'll take that everyday of the week on the Jets.  He's 34, maybe he gets some looks by a 4-3 to be any every down DE...but I doubt it.

Rex likes to have a situational pass rusher on the team, J.Abe would be a good option.  

Jets need to be looking forward, not backward. I would rather a young "project" be on this team that may be able to compete when the Jets are, rather than a roster waste with Abraham.

Young project like Aaron Maybin? A veteran pass rusher is exactly one of the things this roster could use.

Maybe if you're delusional about how good the team is and think they are like 2 players away from a super bowl. Hopefully Idzik isn't.

Yeah realistic people KNOW the Jets are at least a half decade away and need to rebuild and herp derp the culture again. They know a 7th is about what Revis is worth to the Jets and all they can get for a trade. So many things that are just known man, you just feel it. That's how foozball works.

Young project like Aaron Maybin? A veteran pass rusher is exactly one of the things this roster could use.

Agreed.  Especially considering by the looks of it, they are more than likely taking at OLB in the draft so having the luxury of not being forced to play the kid as a full time starter from day 1 would be nice.

Good point, yet I remember his rookie year with the jets he played inside and outside LB. He does have experience standing up.

Back in the early 50's?  He isn't going to be a starting OLB here and that is what we need.  We can't pay him like one.  I like the player, but I doubt I'd like the price.

Jets need to be looking forward, not backward. I  would rather a young "project" be on this team that may be able to compete when the Jets are, rather than a roster waste with Abraham.

We need players.  The Jets should be competitive in 2014 the latest.  There is no need to go with a team of adolescents.  The days of rebuilding from scratch for 5 years are over, Mao. 

He quit vs Raiders in playoffs,, rumor was he was hung over from drinkin nite before... I know for fact he puked on sidelines and players were pissed at him, leading me to think it wasnt 'flu' related

This is one of those stories that gets told and told again and I don't fully believe it. I remember for sure that Herm Edwards was going on and on about how he'd probably ready for the 2004-2005 playoff games against the Chargers and Steelers and then when he couldn't go everybody claiming he was a pussy and he quit.   I heard his knee wasn't that bad because he was listed as probably against the Chargers when the guy could hardly walk.  I distinctly remember my father, who is no candy ass, telling me that they were ******* nuts because he saw footage of Abraham trying to go in practice and he was obviously seriously injured.  I

saw it too. 

I also heard that he was a pussy for missing games with his sports hernias, which guys, particularly all the hard guys at JI didn't consider "real" injuries.  When I got in an argument with one he told me  that Abraham never had a serious injury and if he did he'd have had surgery, well the guy had aroun 8 surgeries to correct sports hernias.  What a slacker!  He had a bunch of abdominal strains/sports hernias which are very slow to heal, especially if you try to go too soon.  I know he had an alcohol problem, but I still think that stuff and the quitting stuff is vastly overstated by the fans. 

Yeah realistic people KNOW the Jets are at least a half decade away and need to rebuild and herp derp the culture again. They know a 7th is about what Revis is worth to the Jets and all they can get for a trade. So many things that are just known man, you just feel it. That's how foozball works.

Since you don't really have a real argument other than being a blind homer and thinking this is a good roster, you need to make up stuff that other people said and then argue against it. 

Maybe if you're delusional about how good the team is and think they are like 2 players away from a super bowl. Hopefully Idzik isn't. 

Since you don't really have a real argument other than being a blind homer and thinking this is a good roster, you need to make up stuff that other people said and then argue against it. 

Right, because that is exactly what Gato, Bit and I have been saying. 

Right, because that is exactly what Gato, Bit and I have been saying. 

You both said that the team is better QB play away from the 2009 team. That just defies the reality of how bad this roster is right now. And this team's greatest failure is it's inability to be realistic about it's roster. 

You both said that the team is better QB play away from the 2009 team. That just defies the reality of how bad this roster is right now. And this team's greatest failure is it's inability to be realistic about it's roster.

The 2009 team got to where it went without even average QB play, so yeah not exactly am insane claim.

Hit me with some reality. What do the Jets need to get realistic about? How perfect does a roster have to be before they have your permission to win? I mean I've seen your definition of elite, so does the roster need to be Tyler Austin level elite to win ooooor? What? You kind of stick to the shadows with your ideas so now would be a great time to enlighten everyone.

The 2009 team got to where it went without even average QB play, so yeah not exactly am insane claim.

Hit me with some reality. What do the Jets need to get realistic about? How perfect does a roster have to be before they have your permission to win?

2009 vs 2013 talent levels aren't even close. 

Thomas Jones and Leon Washongton vs Bilal Powell and Joe McKnight.

Tony Richardson vs ????????

Faneca and Moore vs Ducasse and ???????

Rhodes and Leonard vs ????? and ???????

Pace and Thomas 4 years younger vs ???????

Keller as mediocre as he is vs ????????

The 2009 team was better at pretty much every position other than CB and MAYBE WR if Hill and Kerley have great years and Holmes is healthy. 

There is just no comparison.

Actually, that is also false. It's much closer to the truth, but false.  Either way, you don't get to exaggerate the stance others take and then whine when it happens to you.  

Archived