Jets 2013 Mock Draft and Analysis

JetNation

Basically, Isdick is handling his business like a businessman. All the things you said are true, and I'm happy to see it, but I'd sum it up more simply ... he's doing his job without the daily effort to react to or get reaction from the fanbase.

Tanny, and this whole franchise, have spent the last 7-10 years allowing their decisions to be dictated by the fan reaction, and with an agenda to not win it all, but win over fans, as being good enough.

Championship teams don't do business on the back page, or in the "twittersphere", they don't react to the fans, they dictate to the fans that this is how it's going to be. Now sit back and enjoy the ride.

Nice post Ape.  Let's hope we are saying that when things heat up.  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A reactive GM looking to be popular within this dunce fanbase would sell Revis for the happily accepted price (some second round pick this year that we should be GRATEFUL for). From there he could sell to the fanbase, eagerly awaiting yet another "wait it out" pitch, that we now has a Future to look forward to if we just give him a few years. Maybe he even gifts us a few more clichés to fap to like herping the Culture and derping the Locker Room.

#Maddenlogic

With Mingo and Jordan, I've read that the lack of sack production could be tied to the schemes they played in--Mingo lined up strong-side and Jordan blitzed plenty, but played a lot of snaps in coverage as well. Regardless, it's scary with these guys. If they can't get garbage sacks while playing for teams that routinely had big leads, how can we expect them to do anything at the next level?

blah blah blah

ok GM tom

who is your pick ?

blah blah blah

ok GM tom

who is your pick ?

I'm going all offense this year, Larz. I want Cordarelle Patterson or bitonti's guy Keenan Allen at 9, Zach Ertz with the second pick (from Revis trade), then a back in Round two or three. We gotta start scoring points.

I'm going all offense this year, Larz. I want Cordarelle Patterson or bitonti's guy Keenan Allen at 9, Zach Ertz with the second pick (from Revis trade), then a back in Round two or three. We gotta start scoring points.

I'm with ya.  we have the need.  the need for speed.  

It's more than that, though. Idzik is placating the fans, true, but he doesn't seem particularly worried about massaging Rex's nuts, either. His first move was to whack Bart Scott, who was Rex's boo, and it seems imminent that he's going to trade Revis out from under him, too. Unless he turns around and gives Jarrett Johnson a billion dollars, it'd seem that Idzik is showing Rex who's boss right now, which is how it should be.

I didn't disagree with much that you are the ape said in here, but this is going pretty far.  Bart Scott was getting cut this offseason no matter who the GM was.  You can rest assured that was part of the plan that Tannenbaum talked about.  It isn't really showing Rex who is boss to do something that was a foregone conclusion before last season started.

Damn that's true btw. Pretty ballsy move to cut Bart Scott at the time any other NFL GM on the planet would cut Bart Scott. Thats a real special, defining move right there that says a lot about stuff. He's all like "oh Rex, you like this 40 year old LBer making 8 million because he gave you a couple good seasons three years ago? CUT! Take that! This was done to humiliate you!"

I didn't disagree with much that you are the ape said in here, but this is going pretty far. Bart Scott was getting cut this offseason no matter who the GM was. You can rest assured that was part of the plan that Tannenbaum talked about. It isn't really showing Rex who is boss to do something that was a foregone conclusion before last season started.

Tannenbaum would have re-signed him already at $3m per.

Damn that's true btw. Pretty ballsy move to cut Bart Scott at the time any other NFL GM on the planet would cut Bart Scott. Thats a real special, defining move right there that says a lot about stuff. He's all like "oh Rex, you like this 40 year old LBer making 8 million because he gave you a couple good seasons three years ago? CUT! Take that! This was done to humiliate you!"

Oghobaase

in solidarity if the Jets somehow drafted TE Eifert from Notre Dame that wouldn't be bad either. The value is questionable (as with Allen) but neither will get out of the top 20.  Points. 

Getting Sanchez weapons sounds like a very good idea.  We are in total agreement!

in solidarity if the Jets somehow drafted TE Eifert from Notre Dame that wouldn't be bad either. The value is questionable (as with Allen) but neither will get out of the top 20. Points.

It doesn't seem like the drop-off between Eifert and Ertz is so extreme that we'd have to burn #9 to secure Eifert, IMO. I think they're both capable of Witten-esque careers.

Oghobaase

The illustrious Matt Flynn will be making less than 12 million over the next two years if he's traded. On top of that the team is out of easily 20 million dollars in cap room between two players (Sanchez, Holmes, Harris, Pouha) by next season, if not sooner. 

You've never answered a question I asked a while back. What realistic quarterback option over the next 2-4 years is going to be making enough money to make Revis harder to keep? 

The illustrious Matt Flynn will be making less than 12 million over the next two years if he's traded. On top of that the team is out of easily 20 million dollars in cap room between two players (Sanchez, Holmes, Harris, Pouha) by next season, if not sooner.

You've never answered a question I asked a while back. What realistic quarterback option over the next 2-4 years is going to be making enough money to make Revis harder to keep?

We've discussed this, amigo. We differ here. Obviously, I'd love Revis on my squad, and I've supported his right to a giant contract each time. However, if Idzik wants a blank slate to start from, and he can get decent value for Revis, then I'll support that too. Asking a new GM to dedicate $25+ mil in cap dollars to two corners is a chore, especially when you don't have players at the skill positions.

We've discussed this, amigo. We differ here. Obviously, I'd love Revis on my squad, and I've supported his right to a giant contract each time. However, if Idzik wants a blank slate to start from, and he can get decent value for Revis, then I'll support that too. Asking a new GM to dedicate $25+ mil in cap dollars to two corners is a chore, especially when you don't have players at the skill positions.

No one said otherwise, minus the decent value. They need to get premium return on an elite player's prime, period. Otherwise the move only makes the talent deficit on this roster worse and prolongs this super massive multi-year rebuild you say must happen.I would even go as far as saying that if there's a Peyton Manning hiding in FA, then go ahead and trade Revis for pennies on the dollar and go hard after the QB.

The far more obvious option is to trade Cromartie. Trading Cromartie and either Pouha or Harris would be more than enough to comfortably hide that super sleeper Matt Flynn behind a team with Darrelle Revis. 

What successful franchise loses elite players in their prime to anything but injury anyway? What is that? Why would anyone openly hope to trade the team's best player, besides the reset button being hit for "ZOMG FUTURE CULTURE CHANGE(!!!)" anyway?

GM T0m, what is the appropriate 5 year plan to win the correct way?

The secret to winning is thus, Gato:

1. QB play

2. Third down defense

3. Depth.

The five year plan, for GM T0M, would look like this:

2013::

1. Lay a foundation for Future QB: draft a wideout high. Draft a TE. Secure depth along the OL.

2. Draft A candidate to be Future QB: Sean Renfree? Tyler Wilson? Landry Jones? Nassib?

2014:

1. Dump Holmes and Sanchez, Harris.

2. Fire Rex, Mornhinweg, etc.

3. Find new coach (I know! There are NO OTHER COACHES OUT THERE! OMG!)

4. If 2013 is the ****fest it appears it will be, and your Future QB pick from 2013 hasn't blown you away, use high pick on FQB2, add him to mix, hope out of FQB1 and FQB2, you've unearthed a legitimate Flacco-esque starter.

4. Add veteran leaders at safety, OL, LB, wherever needed.

5. Continue to bolster depth in draft, free agency.

2015:

1. Use 1st on pass rusher or back.

2. Bring in veteran ILB, corner, backup QB.

3. TITLESSSSSS

1. QB play - Will be cheap for the foreseeable future unless Magic Franchise Super Expensive Cap Killing QB appears on the FA market.
2. Third down defense - Revis.
3. Depth - Cheap. 

(I know! There are NO OTHER COACHES OUT THERE! OMG!)

Lol yeah that's what's being said. Obviously there are plenty out there as "new coach" is a pretty consistent part of the Jets' 5 year plans.

Funnily enough this can be said to come down to the OC. I like Mornhinweg alot. Besides Andy Reid there aren't many guys with a better or longer track record of solid QB play out of mediocre QBs, and Mornhinweg is on that list. I think that will have some impact on the QB play of the roster. 

We have the same plan beyond the "zomg first you must fail to succeed" sh*t mixed in with "herpa new culture derpa" stuff. 

Tannenbaum would have re-signed him already at $3m per.

The fact that you make this joke is fine.

The fact that 75% of the board will be quoting this as if Tannenbaum said by the end of the month is pathetic.

The fact that Cimini and Mehta will be quoting this and claiming it was from a valid source is criminal.

The fact that you make this joke is fine.

The fact that 75% of the board will be quoting this as if Tannenbaum said by the end of the month is pathetic.

The fact that Cimini and Mehta will be quoting this and claiming it was from a valid source is criminal.

I'm only half-joking, and I'll mention that to Manish at brunch this afternoon.

1. QB play - Will be cheap for the foreseeable future unless Magic Franchise Super Expensive Cap Killing QB appears on the FA market.

2. Third down defense - Revis.

3. Depth - Cheap.

I don't want to argue so much that Darrelle Revis has to go in order for the team to rebu--er, transition. However, moving Revis gives Idzik added flexibility to acquire more players at different positions of need. The Jets roster is extremely top-heavy financially, and many of those dollars are committed to bad-to-average players. Obviously Revis is a great player, but he's in the wrong place at the wrong time. If Holmes was making $6 mil as opposed to $12.5m, if Sanchez wasn't making $9m, if Harris wasn't making $13m, paying Revis isn't so crippling. Alas, Tannenbaum.

So,

1. There's plenty of money committed to the QB position this season. Next year, not so much. If your play is to demand that Revis plays out this season for $6 mil, then try and sign him to a long-term deal when Sanchez comes off the books, you're kidding yourself. The Jets are going to suck this year and Revis is going to walk and leave you with your dick in your hand. The question you have to ask yourself is this: does this team have a 2013 Super Bowl run in it with Revis in the roster? If your answer is yes, then keep him. if your answer is no (and, if you've been taking your meds, it should be no), then it's imperative you move him and recoup some picks and flexibility, because Idzik is going to need sh*t-tons of cash to replace a lot of dead weight in 2014.

Lol yeah that's what's being said. Obviously there are plenty out there as "new coach" is a pretty consistent part of the Jets' 5 year plans.

Which Jets coach over their history would have brought this team to a Super Bowl if only they were given more time? I don't understand this complaint. The Jets suck because they keep chasing five-year windows? Every team chases five-year windows. You build rosters to take runs at titles. Players age during those runs, their contracts expire, players leave, and the bulk of your roster turns over after five years. Only the great coaches get to stick around for Version 2.0, and even then only if they get a ring within those five-year runs. The Jets don't suck because they fire coaches. The Jets suck because they hire bad coaches. What have any of them done after leaving the Jets?

Funnily enough this can be said to come down to the OC. I like Mornhinweg alot. Besides Andy Reid there aren't many guys with a better or longer track record of solid QB play out of mediocre QBs, and Mornhinweg is on that list. I think that will have some impact on the QB play of the roster.

Which quarterback is Mornhinweg going to make mediocre, exactly? Sanchez? He's got one year to make Sanchez do something he's literally never done, because if Sanchez stays Sanchez, everyone not named John Idzik is getting thrown overboard.

We have the same plan beyond the "zomg first you must fail to succeed" sh*t mixed in with "herpa new culture derpa" stuff.

I've never said "new culture." The new culture is a function of hiring a new coach. As for the 2013 season failing, I see that as an inevitability. You don't. You've never explained why you feel that way, opting instead to make inferences to nameless, shapeless, immeasurable criteria that relies on keeping Rex, signing Adrian Wilson, letting Revis play out his contract, giving Andy Levitre $8 million dollars, drafting Mingo and Landry Jones, and having Mornhinweg turn Sanchez into a mediocre quarterback, which will make the whole team competitive. Seems...dubious.

We completely disagree on your point 1 and the insistence that the play it out and extend option is not a realistic one. Hell, they could extend before the season and just keep the 2013 situation the same putting all the money into 2014-2016. Either way, insistence from you or any other poster just isn't enough for me to buy that. I've also seen examples of what kind of multiple players the Jets can afford and boy would I want nothing to do with that.

Sanchez was mediocre in 2010. I would accept that kind of season pretty easily. If it doesn't win the SB in 2013 that's fine, it's still better than tanking for Future.

You've never said new culture because those two words together would get laughed at. You've had to find more clever ways to say it, which you did.

We completely disagree on your point 1 and the insistence that the play it out and extend option is not a realistic one. Hell, they could extend before the season and just keep the 2013 situation the same putting all the money into 2014-2016. Either way, insistence from you or any other poster just isn't enough for me to buy that.

Revis gets paid up front. Revis isn't waiting for his money. The defer-defer-defer-bingo option is a fantasy. This is his history. This is how he rolls.

I've also seen examples of what kind of multiple players the Jets can afford and boy would I want nothing to do with that.

You've seen secret examples of Idzik's plan regarding how he'll spend the Revis money? You don't think that Idzik has the capability to effectively reapportion the $12m-to-$16m that Revis would demand?

Sanchez was mediocre in 2010. I would accept that kind of season pretty easily.

Sweet. Are we getting the 2010 defense back, too?

If it doesn't win the SB in 2013 that's fine, it's still better than tanking for Future.

For clarity's sake, explain what you mean by "tanking"?

You've never said new culture because those two words together would get laughed at. You've had to find more clever ways to say it, which you did.

Oh? What else am I saying that I'm not really saying? Am I not-saying-saying these things directly into peoples' subconsciouses? Is what I'm saying-not-saying always laughable, or is some of it really profound? Because I'd like to take credit for the things I'm not-saying that end up being really profound.

Also what seems dubious to me that suddenly, now that it's convenient, Sanchez's talent will suppress the omnipotence of the OC. 5 ******* years arguing the opposite. Lol. JN.

Sanchez sucks.

Schottenheimer sucks.

Both can be true at the same time.

As horrific as the Jets offense was last year, the Rams offense averaged one (1) point more than that putrid offense.

Revis gets paid up front. Revis isn't waiting for his money. The defer-defer-defer-bingo option is a fantasy. This is his history. This is how he rolls. 

Cool and dramatic, just like JN likes it packaged, but no one said anything about deferring. 2014-2016 is an entirely reasonable window for Revis to receive the bulk of his next contract. He sees that money either way, and all Revis really wants is to get the money he's offered for being his services. 

You've seen secret examples of Idzik's plan regarding how he'll spend the Revis money? You don't think that Idzik has the capability to effectively reapportion the $12m-to-$16m that Revis would demand? 

Yep, I saw it from people with inside information with the FO if I'm to go by the whole "trade Revis for Future(!)" crowd's general attitude when posting. Matt Flynn, Brandon Marshall, and One Million Dollar Solid OL guy. Straight from one of the multitude of people Idzik and Johnson have told they won't pay Revis.

I don't think 12-16 million buys as much as you imagine it does, no. This is particularly true when the source of that money comes from giving up by far the best player on the team and one of the elite players within the league.

Sweet. Are we getting the 2010 defense back, too?

As the 2010 defense wasn't quite as good as the 2009 defense it's entirely within the realm of possibilities if they are smart enough to keep Revis.

For clarity's sake, explain what you mean by "tanking"?

Dismissing 2013 as an opportunity to do anything but wait out cap space because the Branch Rickey of the Internet Message Board College of Jets' GMs has the revolutionary thought process that with more drafts and more FAs the Jets will have a better roster. 

Oh? What else am I saying that I'm not really saying? Am I not-saying-saying these things directly into peoples' subconsciouses? Is what I'm saying-not-saying always laughable, or is some of it really profound? Because I'd like to take credit for the things I'm not-saying that end up being really profound.

Losing > Winning because future cap space despite rudimentary, clumsy, basic ideas of how to work the cap over the next few years (herp, start over is the only option!).

What else are you saying that you don't think you're saying because you haven't used the exact sequence of words....

2-3 Bryan Thomas' and Brandon Moores are >>>>> one Darrelle Revis, which is hilarious at best and infinitely stupid at worst.

What else...

6-10 without your best players on either side of the ball in a season is basically the same as whatever arbitrary record it takes to launch into a multi-year tank 'til you win rebuild.

There's got to be more...OC's are super vital to production from the QB until now, that deal expired....Joe Flacco is great because he won a Super Bowl but not great because he really kinda sucks....There's been plenty of pretty laughable stuff here.

Both can be true at the same time. 

Which is completely irrelevant to Marty Mornhinweg and Sanchez. I know I know, you will dance around that because Schottenheimer, but he and the Rams could not possibly have less to do with the offense. Sanchez has been a mediocre QB before, Mornhinweg is one of those OCs who has an excellent track record with QBs (at the very least he can get the completion% up), and you spent 5 years explaining to me the enormous impact OCs can have on QBs and offenses. Lets say I'm now sold on the potential enormity of having a big time OC, and Mornhinweg pretty easily fits into that category. I understand that you're a politician on this board and need to cover your ass on both sides, you've done it well once again, but we pretty much disagree on nothing as far as this whole situation, this whole roster, and just to what extent the Jets need to rebuild. I don't think you're going to come very close to convincing me and I'm not going to convince you. 

Lets calm down on Mornhinweg as a big time OC. The guy was HORRIBLE when he ran his own offense with the lions and while he had success with the Eagles, he was working with elite offensive talent there, under one of the best offensive head coaches in the NFL. Now he's going to be running the entire offense for a guy who is completely clueless as to how to coach offense. I'd expect much more lions than Eagles. 

Lets calm down on Mornhinweg as a big time OC. The guy was HORRIBLE when he ran his own offense with the lions and while he had success with the Eagles, he was working with elite offensive talent there, under one of the best offensive head coaches in the NFL. Now he's going to be running the entire offense for a guy who is completely clueless as to how to coach offense. I'd expect much more lions than Eagles. 

Lol JN at it's finest.

"Let's calm down on Mornhinweg. The bad counts fully and gets no context besides Lions. The good counts for nothing and gets more context as to why it counts for nothing." 

Lol JN at it's finest.

"Let's calm down on Mornhinweg. The bad counts fully and gets no context besides Lions. The good counts for nothing and gets more context as to why it counts for nothing." 

Where is his success without Andy Reid who has a good offence no matter who his OC is?

They've found more coherent posts written in blood and feces on the walls of 18th century insane asylums.

Ideas that make sense to T0m:

We use that 12-16 million dollars on landing 2-3 non-elite players. That is more worth than 1 elite player.

Response to that idea that somehow baffles him:

Lolwut? 

Archived