Cromartie restructures. (MERGED)

pointman

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see why they did that.

Now Cro gets boatload of money upfront. But as far as  Cro is  concerned he comes across as a guy who will only burst his a$$ if it meant getting paid. Just my opinion!

He was clutch last year, and it clears up cap space. A lot of cap space.

He was clutch last year, and it clears up cap space. A lot of cap space.

All good points. And that's why i said i can see why they did that.

But when you have a guy who has issues getting motivated to play at the highest level not sure what his motivation will be when he already has pretty much all the  money in the bank. I am just a guy who still remembers Shonee Greene's run in San Diego. That's all.

Is there some kind of limit to the amount of $$$ you can move from salary to bonus? If not, wouldn't rich teams just do this all the time?

Wasn't it Jason of jets cap that reported that our salary cap issue wasn't nearly as bad as people were suggesting? Maybe he had a point.

Seems like Cro took not only a step forward as a player last year, but also as a leader.  It's quite the luxury to have a true #1 CB on your team to fall back on, encase you lose your HOF CB via a trade.  

**There's a lot of cleared cap room and I doubt all of it is going to Victor Butler, whom I hope they definitely sign.  Methinks there's a possibility that the Jets and Revis make another stop gap type contract that will not only keep Revis a jet for this season, but one the following season where they will negotiate again depending on health.  I'm not sure, but Idzik definitely seems to have a plan, regardless of what happens with Revis.

Is there some kind of limit to the amount of $$$ you can move from salary to bonus? If not, wouldn't rich teams just do this all the time?

Wasn't it Jason of jets cap that reported that our salary cap issue wasn't nearly as bad as people were suggesting? Maybe he had a point.

You can't constantly keep robbing paul to pay peter, eventually it's going to catch up to you. But yes, even Tanny said in an interview after he was fired that the cap wasn't as bad as everyone on the outside thought and there was a clear plan that would save us a lot of room and not mortgage the future either. I like what Idzik is doing; he's made a decent amount of cap space and hasn't mortgaged the future drastically.

You still have to account for that money on the salary cap at some point.  In this case, half of that signing bonus he got is going still count on this year's cap, and the other half is going to be added onto his cap hit for next year.  It's really just deferring the cap hit more than anything.  You can only do that so much before you start killing next year's cap.

Per Mehta.

Jets restructured Antonio Cromartie's contract, per source. Base salary reduced from $7M to $840K. Also gets around $8.5 SB

Can't see them doing this until Revis is actually gone.  This basically gives us a reason to hang on to Cromartie longer.

But when you have a guy who has issues getting motivated to play at the highest level not sure what his motivation will be when he already has pretty much all the  money in the bank. I am just a guy who still remembers Shonee Greene's run in San Diego. That's all.

He still has $9M to play for next year salary + roster bonus.  This just moves his 2013 salary so that they can prorate it over the length of the deal. I don't think this clears up any $7M. I think it clears half of the amount converted - bonus divided by years on deal, which is 2.

I remember the run too. But since he's been here, he has been solid. With Revis on his way out, Cromartie is our star in the secondary. He's here, and we're trusting him. Pay him now or pay him later... its going to happen whether he is lacking the motivation you seem to think he will. The only difference now is that we have money to shop.

Tanny said he could fix it in fifteen minutes or so..lol. Maybe he was talking out his ass after all. 

Can't see them doing this until Revis is actually gone.  This basically gives us a reason to hang on to Cromartie longer.

He still has $9M to play for next year salary + roster bonus.  This just moves his 2013 salary so that they can prorate it over the length of the deal. I don't think this clears up any $7M. I think it clears half of the amount converted - bonus divided by years on deal, which is 2.

Again really good points. I am just not sure he thinks that far into the future. Again i do not want to talk about his army of kids from an army of baby mama's but let's just say for some reason i do not think Cro would look that far into the future about the implications of his actions.

Maybe he has matured and I am dead wrong. That remains to be seen. But i have some concerns.

Seems like Cro took not only a step forward as a player last year, but also as a leader.  It's quite the luxury to have a true #1 CB on your team to fall back on, encase you lose your HOF CB via a trade.  

**There's a lot of cleared cap room and I doubt all of it is going to Victor Butler, whom I hope they definitely sign.  Methinks there's a possibility that the Jets and Revis make another stop gap type contract that will not only keep Revis a jet for this season, but one the following season where they will negotiate again depending on health.  I'm not sure, but Idzik definitely seems to have a plan, regardless of what happens with Revis.

Don't remember who (been listening to a lot of sports radio today, like most of us) but someone said that Revis is 28, and has only a couple of years of elite corner play left in him so it was imperative that we shipped him off now instead of owing him big money for the next half decade. Kind of made sense, and made me weep a little less about losing him.

You still have to account for that money on the salary cap at some point.  In this case, half of that signing bonus he got is going still count on this year's cap, and the other half is going to be added onto his cap hit for next year.  It's really just deferring the cap hit more than anything.  You can only do that so much before you start killing next year's cap.

Question: then why do they always say that the difference clears up the same amount of cap space?

BTW, as far as Cromartie is concerned, this really changes nothing for him other than give him his money quicker (and essentially guaranteeing his spot on the Jets).  He was originally scheduled for a $7M base and $2.3 roster bonus ($9.3M total), but is now instead getting "approximately" $8.5M signing bonus (which is probably really $8.46M) and $840K roster bonus (approx $9.3M total), so it all nets out to the same for him.

Again really good points. I am just not sure he thinks that far into the future. Again i do not want to talk about his army of kids from an army of baby mama's but let's just say for some reason i do not think Cro would look that far into the future about the implications of his actions.

Maybe he has matured and I am dead wrong. That remains to be seen. But i have some concerns.

It's not that far in the future.  The implication is he plays to get paid.  For his purposes the contract doesn't really change.

I remember the run too. But since he's been here, he has been solid. With Revis on his way out, Cromartie is our star in the secondary. He's here, and we're trusting him. Pay him now or pay him later... its going to happen whether he is lacking the motivation you seem to think he will. The only difference now is that we have money to shop.

He has been one of the best players on the team. But that's since Revis got injured. Before that he was serviceable and we gave him some latitude because most people thought we only gave up a 4th for him and we all hated Lito Shepperd.

Remember just two seasons ago the JETS were chasing Aso and not Cro and waiting for Aso to make a decision. They let quite a few days go in free agency. And yet Cro was still available when Aso decided to go somewhere else. Off course the genius of Tanny is he still overpaid him bidding against his own self.

Question: then why do they always say that the difference clears up the same amount of cap space?

The amount of cap space freed up is really the difference minus the portion of the signing bonus which would count against that year (total bonus amount / # of years left on the deal).  So in this case, the amount they are saving is $9.3M (original base+roster bonus) - $840k (this year's new base) - $4.25M (this year's prorated portion of the new signing bonus - $8.5M / 2 years).  That means the Jets should be saving around $4.21M on this year's cap.

It's not that far in the future.  The implication is he plays to get paid.  For his purposes the contract doesn't really change.

You just don't get to move him before the 2015 season, which you wouldn't do anyway. He'll be 31-32. A good gamble.

He has been one of the best players on the team. But that's since Revis got injured. Before that he was serviceable and we gave him some latitude because most people thought we only gave up a 4th for him and we all hated Lito Shepperd.

Remember just two seasons ago the JETS were chasing Aso and not Cro and waiting for Aso to make a decision. They let quite a few days go in free agency. And yet Cro was still available when Aso decided to go somewhere else. Off course the genius of Tanny is he still overpaid him bidding against his own self.

He has been far better than "serviceable". Wilson is serviceable. Cro is a #1 on 28-30 other teams. 

I remember the situation, and all I can say is I am damn happy we didn't land Asomugha. Overrated, overpaid. 

The amount of cap space freed up is really the difference minus the portion of the signing bonus which would count against that year (total bonus amount / # of years left on the deal).  So in this case, the amount they are saving is $9.3M (original base+roster bonus) - $840k (this year's new base) - $4.25M (this year's prorated portion of the new signing bonus - $8.5M / 2 years).  That means the Jets should be saving around $4.21M on this year's cap.

Damn. Thanks for that. My head hurts, but I learned a little bit of it. lol. Thanks again.

So this frees up 4 million in cap space, AND makes him even more enticing for a trade partner considering they would get Cromartie at 2 years for PEANUTS, I know this is not why the Jets did this thou, was just saying.

No way the Jets trade him now, as they just significantly increased the cap hit they would take if they did, as that entire $9.3M, plus the prorated amounts of his original bonus for this year and next year, would all immediately hit the cap.  Never going to happen.

Archived