Tony Romo 6yr $108 Million extension, $55 Mil guaranteed. So...

Villain The Foe

If Romo is worth $55 million guaranteed on one playoff win (1-3) then is Mark Sanchez worth $200 million+ guaranteed on 4 playoff wins (4-2)?

That's just a ridiculous contract.

Edit: And for those who would say that Sanchez won because of our defense then I'll counter with Romo losing with a much better offense and a pretty good defense.

Joe Flacco threw a hail mary that was answered, and that earned him 50M guaranteed...... just saying.

Before the playoffs began Flacco had a better playoff record than Romo.

What actually earned him that contract was 11TD's 0 INT's and a hailmary that was answered in the playoffs....just saying.

so they just made him uncuttable for what, 4 years ?

I think he's too old for that

lol cowboys

That was actually more of my concern. He's been with the cowboys for a decade (majority of that as a starter) and has one playoff win and is 33 years old. Why in the world would you give him such a contract? Whats even more mind numbing is why would you guarantee him more money in his contract than what Joe Flacco received? You have guys like Tom Brady taking a paycut yet Tony Romo is laughing all the way to the bank. I could understand a 4 year 60 Million dollar contract with 1/3 guaranteed but to offer him a 6 year 100 million+ with half of that guaranteed means that Romo better be in the superbowl one of the next two years...if not both for that to even be justifiable.

Tony Romo made 9 million in 2011, his 5th year as a starter. Joe Flacco's first contract was for 5/30 with 9 million guaranteed.

If QB salaries are going to jump across the league while the cap stays relatively flat, all other positional salaries are going to pay for it. In three years, having a corner making more than $10m per will be comical. QBs and WRs will still get paid. Your big OTs and DEs will come behind them. CBs will be fifth in that pecking order. Whoever is paying Revis at that time will be dying to get out of that contract.

Andrew Luck signed for 4/22 with a 14.5 signing bonus and won't see a big extension until his 3rd season or 4th season as a former #1 overall pick.

So, hypothetically, we trade Revis to the Colts tomorrow and Andrew Luck's deal comes due after 2015 and they have to find $25 mil per to pay him, but they have this $14 million dollar CB on the roster. What happens? They find a way to dump Revis, that's what.

So, hypothetically, we trade Revis to the Colts tomorrow and Andrew Luck's deal comes due after 2015 and they have to find $25 mil per to pay him, but they have this $14 million dollar CB on the roster. What happens? They find a way to dump Revis, that's what.

If QB salaries are going to jump across the league while the cap stays relatively flat, all other positional salaries are going to pay for it. In three years, having a corner making more than $10m per will be comical. QBs and WRs will still get paid. Your big OTs and DEs will come behind them. CBs will be fifth in that pecking order. Whoever is paying Revis at that time will be dying to get out of that contract.

T0m's Plan:

1 - Tank Until QB

2 - Tank until you pay him Aaron Rodgers money

3 - Profit

Brilliant!

If WRs are going to get paid then CBs will be getting. Despite your belief that the suddenly great Sean Smith only getting 6 million proves otherwise, real top shelf CBs have gotten paid and have won. 

If Romo is worth $55 million guaranteed on one playoff win (1-3) then is Mark Sanchez worth $200 million+ guaranteed on 4 playoff wins (4-2)?

That's just a ridiculous contract.

Edit: And for those who would say that Sanchez won because of our defense then I'll counter with Romo losing with a much better offense and a pretty good defense.

A much better offense and a pretty good defense, sounds like a watertight argument you got going there, well thought out and researched. Four-game samples are always a good yardstick for comparison as well. Especially when they played the same opponents and all.

A much better offense and a pretty good defense, sounds like a watertight argument you got going there, well thought out and researched. Four-game samples are always a good yardstick for comparison as well. Especially when they played the same opponents and all.

Such a knee-jerk response. :-)

Well, I do take into account that. If Sanchez had the talent that they surrounded Romo with I believe one of those two years we would have seen a SB appearance.

We get on Sanchez because of the "what have you done for me lately" mentality, but when it comes to post season play, there are only a few other QB's I would take over Mark Sanchez. Tony Romo is CERTAINLY not one of them.

T0m's Plan:

1 - Tank Until QB

2 - Tank until you pay him Aaron Rodgers money

3 - Profit

Brilliant!

If WRs are going to get paid then CBs will be getting. Despite your belief that the suddenly great Sean Smith only getting 6 million proves otherwise, real top shelf CBs have gotten paid and have won. 

Who said anything about tanking? A month ago, you were convinced that the Jets were going to "compete" this year and that anyone saying otherwise was an alarmist fool. Two weeks ago you walked that back and said it "might" be a tough year. A week ago, you said the talent on the roster was "mediocre." Maybe you're the one who secretly feels the team is "tanking" now? This is how anxiety disorders manifest themselves: you take any thoughts in your mind that you find unpleasant and assign them to external parties, then try to demonize that party. Just accept that, now, as it gets clearer and clearer what Idzik is doing (6 starters lost to FA, 3 more cut, 2 others not re-signed, Revis likely to be dealt), that you think the Jets are "tanking" 2013.

Personally, I don't. I think "tanking" is a conscious thing done at the player level where a team quits on a coach. I don't think the players will roll over on Rex en masse unless it gets bleak early. No, I don't think they'll consciously tank. I think they'll suck. Two entirely different concepts. "Tanking" implies that they could have done better, but chose not to. "Sucking" implies that they'll try to win, but won't be able to overcome the talent gap they'll face in nearly every game.

Brent Grimes: 1 yr/$5.5 mil. Atlanta has essentially vacated the corner position on their roster and will start over with cheap draft picks. Baltimore has done the same, except for Jimmy Smith. Seems like teams are de-valuing the CB position. With the new rules, once a corner loses a step he's done because he can't grab. The Ty Law-type corner is dead. Now they're all just disposable track stars who can turn and run.

Brent Grimes: 1 yr/$5.5 mil. Atlanta has essentially vacated the corner position on their roster and will start over with cheap draft picks. Baltimore has done the same, except for Jimmy Smith. Seems like teams are de-valuing the CB position. With the new rules, once a corner loses a step he's done because he can't grab. The Ty Law-type corner is dead. Now they're all just disposable track stars who can turn and run.

These big money contracts don't really prove anything.   Flacco already won a super bowl.  So did Rodgers.  Brady won Super bowls when everybody couldn't believe a 7th round QB was winning.   If none of these QBs even gets back to a super bowl and teams need to cut players like the Drumervil's over 4 million bucks, it kind of means no matter what position you play,  paying somebody $20-25 million in a $120 million cap league  kind of hurts the team.

It's also a business decision.  Players like  Rodgers and Manning and Brady bring big money to these teams.  Big money to the NFL.  Non football fans know these guys.  There are casual football fans in California who have no clue who Revis is.  People in Oakland or San Diego or Kansas City, etc will buy tickets because Rodgers or Brady or Manning is on the other team.   I've never heard anybody say they were buying  a ticket because Revis was playing.    

So it's more than just winning. Hell, Romo was on the news a few years back for dating Jessica Simpson.  That is the power of a QB.   Believe it or not.

As bad as Mark Sanchez has been, there are still people who think he's better than Romo.    If Sanchez won a super bowl the first two seasons, even if it had little to do with him,  people would let him play for the next 20 years and never care that he sucked.     Whereas Revis would be loved, but not loved like a super bowl winning QB.    

I mean damn,  Brady wasn't impressive in his first postseason and Manning sucked in his super bowl winning year.    Guys like that can have off games or postseasons and get the benefit of the doubt.   If Revis comes back and looks a step slower,  nobody in their right mind would think he's worth even 8 million a year, much less 15.

Brent Grimes 5.5 million off of spending a season on injured reserve. He made 6 tackles last year.

Woodson lost a step and became the best flex CB/S in the league for a SB team (also their second highest paid player with the first not being a QB).

Dont let those things get in the way of your narratives THO. Team's got a QB to save up for! Aaron Rodgers' contract 9 years into his career pretty much says all that has to be said!

And he still got the going rate for the top FA corners this year...how do you spell it...THO. Weird. Weird.

So an injured 30 year old CB gets T0m's made up going rate (IGNORE THE BAILEY EXTENSION IT ALSO sh*tS ON WHAT IM SPEWING), and still he thinks that this is a sign that teams are devaluing the CB position.

You're a hoot T0m. Passing league? Best defensive pass defenders are non-factors! Wide receivers? Pay 'em, they're vital to the pass! The sheer laziness makes me wonder if you even believe you.

I need to check: Did I change my stance here too?

Archived