Draft Day Scenario

j4jets

Draft Day Scenario  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you do this trade?

• Yes, in a heartbeat
    • No, would like to take the BPA at #13
    • Need more Compensation

Vikes are targeting a WR. Here's a likely draft day scenario (assuming Revis Trade is completed and we have the 9th and 13th pick).

At #9, Jets draft Milner - Who drops to them

Still on the board:

Mingo

Geno Smith - Slipped past Raiders, Cards, Bills

Tavon Austin

Cordarelle Patterson

Chance Warmack

Jonathan Cooper

Xavier Rhodes

Star Lotulelei

Jarvis Jones

With the 13th pick, and on the clock, Vikes call the Jets with their 22nd overall and their 2nd round pick (52nd overall). Its an even trade on the draft value chart (1150 points for the 13th pick and 1160 points for the Vikes Picks).

Do we pull the plug on the trade? There is a great chance couple of those players fall to #22.

What would you do? Take the additional 2nd rounder and pick whoever is left out of that group? Or take the BPA and say no thanks to Vikes?

no trade.you draft lotulelei and dont look back

Please explain why you think we need another first round pick on the defensive line. I would love to hear that. Especially with the offense being so bereft of talent.

star at pick 9 would be,imo,by far the bpa.nevermind the 13th pick.that is where you spend high first round picks.not on guards and slot receivers.in another thread,you mentioned that dline was not a need,to which,i declined to comment for obvious reasons.no pouha.no devito.ellis isnt exactly proven to be a world beater.the jets have mo,coples,and some question marks.hell,even coples has question marks.i think he will be fine,but still.

imo,besides ot,there isnt an offensive player worth the 9th or 13th pick in this draft.drafting for need is what gets teams in trouble.maybe geno if you truly beleive or eiffert would be a huge reach as would austin,when you already have a decent slot guy,and both guards

star at pick 9 would be,imo,by far the bpa.nevermind the 13th pick.that is where you spend high first round picks.not on guards and slot receivers.in another thread,you mentioned that dline was not a need,to which,i declined to comment for obvious reasons.no pouha.no devito.ellis isnt exactly proven to be a world beater.the jets have mo,coples,and some question marks.hell,even coples has question marks.i think he will be fine,but still.

imo,besides ot,there isnt an offensive player worth the 9th or 13th pick in this draft.drafting for need is what gets teams in trouble

I hate spacebars too.

That said, the defensive line is not a concern. They have Ellis and Harrison and signed Garay as well. I don't see them taking a DT at all unless it's later in the draft. Just not a need right now.

I hate spacebars too.

That said, the defensive line is not a concern. They have Ellis and Harrison and signed Garay as well. I don't see them taking a DT at all unless it's later in the draft. Just not a need right now.

They need a lot, but they need offense. They need playmakers.   Finding those guys is pretty important considering they've drafted a ton of defense over the years and they drafted a bunch of OL over the years. Some of those players became good, others not so much.  The problem is they have no playmakers and in the NFL these days, teams win 30-28, not 10-7.

I hate spacebars too.

ok.fair enough.its no secret that i covet lotulelei and ansah in this draft,and while i like other players,idont think they are worthy of the 9th or 13th pick or i dont think the jets need them.tell me,who do you think the jets should draft in the first round?all offensive minded and everything.and yes,if ziggy and star are off the board,my position is to trade down by all means neccessary

ok.fair enough.its no secret that i covet lotulelei and ansah in this draft,and while i like other players,idont think they are worthy of the 9th or 13th pick or i dont think the jets need them.tell me,who do you think the jets should draft in the first round?all offensive minded and everything.and yes,if ziggy and star are off the board,my position is to trade down by all means neccessary

Dion Jordan and Tyler Eifert would be a coup in the first round. Jordan probably won't e there so trade down, take Eifert at 13 and take BPA at whatever we traded down to.

jordan is just as much a boom or bust prospect as ansah.maybe more as jordan is light in the azz and even more light in the azz because he is so tall.however,he does have coverage skills which is a major plus.i still like ansah over jordan.eifert can be had in the 20's

At least one NFL GM believes the 49ers are interested in moving up to No. 13 or 14 in the draft.

The 49ers have a league-high 13 picks and no more than seven or eight would be serious bets to make one of the NFL's best rosters. The Niners are likely to ship off later-round picks for 2014 selections while also attempting to trade up in the first round. They've been mentioned as a pursuer of West Virginia's Tavon Austin, but Yahoo's Jason Cole reports San Francisco "would like to get a defensive lineman who can eventually step in for veteran Justin Smith." BYU's Ziggy Ansah would be a high-upside addition in the first half of round one.

Could be a good haul.  They have a zillion picks and as a SB team who lost no one and added Asomugha the one thing they don't need is quantity.  Don't know how high they'd be looking to go though.  Any move involving SF and the Jets would probably have to occur after the Jets have already traded down once into the later teens or earlier 20s.  But dropping down that far to 31 we'd really almost need a player plus the pick(s) to justify it. And it better be a better player than Doug Jolley.

Also read somewhere Dallas might look to trade up from 18 for one of the guards.  Guess that would depend on how early the first one goes. If there's a surprise and one goes in the top 10-12 they may want to jump as high as 13 to grab the other.  

The 49ers shooting for specific starters rather than actually using all those picks on scrubs makes sense. They have way too many picks for how deep that roster is. My guess is that they would try to move up to 13 for Trufant. 

I hope the draft script writers do something nice for Los Yets. 

The 49ers seem to be more interested in taking a Safety  like Reid, Elam, or Cyprien, compared to trading up for  a CB and most of  those guys will probably still be around when they pick.  

And the 49ers don't seem to be a "take this specific player" kind of team.  Look at how they sign free agents and trade for players.  It wasn't like they gave up the farm for a WR.  They weren't interested in Revis.      

The 49ers seem to be more interested in taking a Safety  like Reid, Elam, or Cyprien, compared to trading up for  a CB and most of  those guys will probably still be around when they pick.  

And the 49ers don't seem to be a "take this specific player" kind of team.  Look at how they sign free agents and trade for players.  It wasn't like they gave up the farm for a WR.  They weren't interested in Revis.      

They weren't interested in Revis because of his price tag. There were just 31 other teams where Revis would have even a major upgrade. Not every team want to pay luxuriously for an upgrade.

You're gonna trade a HoF CB and grab a guard? How did trading an all star pass rusher for a center go?

If the Jets have two first rounders, they need to find two impact players. Pass rusher, WR, or the top TE would all be fine. Or Geno, if he's there and think he's the answer.

Nothing wrong with a little hedge o' the bets. They swing for the fences at 9 (Austin, Patterson, Smith, Mingo), then come back with a conservative pick with Cooper at 13 is sound strategy, IMO.

Nothing wrong with a little hedge o' the bets. They swing for the fences at 9 (Austin, Patterson, Smith, Mingo), then come back with a conservative pick with Cooper at 13 is sound strategy, IMO.

Total chickensh*t strategy, IMHO. There are starting guards available on the draft's last day. Swing for the fences twice if you're keeping the picks. If you want to lean on the conservative side, grab Eifert with #13, but I'd prefer the Austin/Mingo combo. 

Please explain why you think we need another first round pick on the defensive line. I would love to hear that. Especially with the offense being so bereft of talent.

It's worked out pretty well for the Giants.

And in 5 years, I think it will be obvious that Lotulelei is the best player in this draft.

Total chickensh*t strategy, IMHO. There are starting guards available on the draft's last day. Swing for the fences twice if you're keeping the picks. If you want to lean on the conservative side, grab Eifert with #13, but I'd prefer the Austin/Mingo combo.

I think people totally underestimate the impact of a truly great guard.

Iupati completely transformed that whole niners offense.

#9 Star

#13 Warmack

I think people totally underestimate the impact of a truly great guard.

Iupati completely transformed that whole niners offense.

#9 Star

#13 Warmack

The whole league as happily underestimated the impact of a truly great guard for decades, and will continue to do so for decades into the future as the league continues to morph away from running the football at all. 

Taking a guard that high is a wasted pick. Having extra picks is no excuse to waste one. 

Star would be a great selection, though. 

Yes, please.

AJ Green's doing just fine with his 10 on the Wonderlic. Quite frankly I don't think these guys care that much or are well prepared for that test. Austin never missed a practice in college let alone a game and seems like he's got a great attitude (willing to play any position, wants to come in and work, watches film, etc). I care about that more than a test score.

i am no college football buff, but I smell Gholston fumes when people talk about MIngo.  Bustability is what I am talking about.  Gholston was the super freak.  Mingo is the 98 pound weakling.  Anyone smell a Maybin?

It's worked out pretty well for the Giants.

And in 5 years, I think it will be obvious that Lotulelei is the best player in this draft.

The giants have taken DTs in the first round? When? Their starting DTs are a 2nd rounder and a 5th rounder. And Star may be the best player in the draft but who cares? He's not at a valued position. Haloti Ngata could be the best from his draft but you barely hear anything about him.

i am no college football buff, but I smell Gholston fumes when people talk about MIngo. Bustability is what I am talking about. Gholston was the super freak. Mingo is the 98 pound weakling. Anyone smell a Maybin?

Which one should be the focus, Gholston the OSU sack king or Aaron Maybin the 215 pound defensive lineman? How many ways will Mingo bust here?

The giants have taken DTs in the first round? When? Their starting DTs are a 2nd rounder and a 5th rounder. And Star may be the best player in the draft but who cares? He's not at a valued position. Haloti Ngata could be the best from his draft but you barely hear anything about him.

Ngata is considered the best.interior DLman in the league pretty widely, which is wrong Imo (Wilfork).

Star definitely should be in play if he were to fall.

There is no way that Idzik takes a DT in the first round of his first draft. Not a chance.

If Star is there, he'll definitely be considered. The Jets lost DeVito and Pouha, and signed a 30-something to a one year deal to replace them. 

Which one should be the focus, Gholston the OSU sack king or Aaron Maybin the 215 pound defensive lineman? How many ways will Mingo bust here?

well, Gholston is our ultimate bust because he did absolutely nothing.  all people talked about were his measurables.  I sense some of that with MIngo.  But I understand Mingo cannot bench press.  So that made me think of Maybin.  Maybin was not a draft pick of the Jets, so not a bust per se, for the Jets.  When I think of bustability, the name Gholston even overshadows the name Sanchez.  Sanchez was awful, but he got on the field.  gholston did not even do that, to any great extent.

I agree in general on the premise, but practically speaking, Idzik might want a guaranteed-ish stud to pair with a wild card first rounder. Drafting a guard is lame now, but might look awesome in three years, especially if Austin/Mingo busts. Ultimately, I think Idzik trades the 13 pick anyway, so it's moot.

They have Ellis and Harrison in addition to Garay on a show me deal. I don't see how it is a need at all.

When you draft for need, you lose. Star would almost certainly be the BAP if he's there at #9. The Jets would have to consider him at that spot. They'd also probably be able to generate some good trade buzz. 

I agree in general on the premise, but practically speaking, Idzik might want a guaranteed-ish stud to pair with a wild card first rounder. Drafting a guard is lame now, but might look awesome in three years, especially if Austin/Mingo busts. Ultimately, I think Idzik trades the 13 pick anyway, so it's moot.

If Idzik takes Warmack or Cooper with the 9th or 13th pick, I'll judge him harshly. Taking a guard that high is a bad pick. Having extra picks is no excuse to make a bad pick. It's a good excuse to swing for the fences twice. 

I tend to agree that they'll trade down from one or both picks. Trading the #13 would make it more difficult to track what exactly the Jets got in the Revis trade, and they may see that as a good thing. There will definitely be a little PR involved in what they do on draft day. 

i'd take chance. And I hate the fact that the Jets trade Revis and draft Milliner. 

Agreed.

+1

If that's the plan, we may as well have kept Tannenbaum.

Yup. It's like cutting a still very capable Mawae, then trading Abraham, just to draft a new center. 

We need talent. Its obvious we are depleted. Also note that whoever we pick in the first round HAS to be a productive starter for at least 4 years. We have done well with Wikerson and Coples. I think we go O-Line and then we may trade back. Pick up the BAP. We need starters not projects for the the first and second rounds. No More Ducasses, we need starting quality players here. Its a deep draft and these rooks will need to step in asap.

Grab BAPs and hope that they fit our largest needs. I say we grab O-Line, QB EJ Manuel and probably a 3-4 rushing OLB. That would be my preferences. Yes, Its a risk with EJ but we need hope at the QB position and Sanchez is gone next year. Garrard is a fill in at best. Let a Rook QB battle it out. Manuel is a good QB, I bet you we would not be disappointed.

Archived