Which Jet Newcomer are you most excited about?

Jetsfan80

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which Jet Newcomer are you most excited about?

• QB Geno Smith (West Virginia)
    • CB Dee Milliner (Alabama)
    • DT Sheldon Richardson (Missouri)
    • QB David Garrard
    • RB Chris Ivory (Saints)
    • G Brian Winters (Kent State)
    • RB Mike Goodson (Raiders)
    • LB Antwan Barnes (Chargers)
    • S Dawan Landry (Jaguars)
    • OTHER

Millner: Looks good. Will contribute, but tough to get excited about a corner.

Richardson: The same, he'll get sacks I'm sure but when it comes to our d-line, I'm more excited about the overall product rather than any one of them in particular.

Smith: Stats are great, inconsistent though, keep hearing conflicting reports on him is he a leader or not? Is he a workaholic or lazy? Everyone seems to have a different opinion, so I'll withhold judgement for now.

The guards and the fullback: They are guards. One might be a tackle. Then there is a fullback. So. Yeah.

Ivory: Don't know much about him.
Garrard: seriously? No.

Landry: see Garrard.

So, not particularly excited about any of them but hopeful they can all contribute.

Geno, that pick could make or break us the next 4-10 years, for this season and even though I think we overpaid if healthy Chris Ivory could make this season watchable.

What is Ivory like as a back? Which active RB does he compare to in your opinion? I don't know much about him.

Millner: Looks good. Will contribute, but tough to get excited about a corner.

Richardson: The same, he'll get sacks I'm sure but when it comes to our d-line, I'm more excited about the overall product rather than any one of them in particular.

Smith: Stats are great, inconsistent though, keep hearing conflicting reports on him is he a leader or not? Is he a workaholic or lazy? Everyone seems to have a different opinion, so I'll withhold judgement for now.

The guards and the fullback: They are guards. One might be a tackle. Then there is a fullback. So. Yeah.

Ivory: Don't know much about him.

Garrard: seriously? No.

Landry: see Garrard.

So, not particularly excited about any of them but hopeful they can all contribute.

So, corners don't excite u. Defensive linemen don't excite u, guards and FB don't excite u. QB n HB don't excite u. Let me ask u this. Does Megan Foxx in a see-thru Bakini on the beach on a hot day excite u?

So, corners don't excite u. Defensive linemen don't excite u, guards and FB don't excite u. QB n HB don't excite u. Let me ask u this. Does Megan Foxx in a see-thru Bakini on the beach on a hot day excite u?

A QB that wasn't hated on so much, a beast pass-rushing OLB, an explosive WR, a dynamic RB, a size/speed freak of a TE... all of that does, maybe a safety like (LaRon) Landry, too.

Richardson will beast but **** it, I went with Geno. Jets QB of the future. Exciting!!! 

This.  Richardson might end up the best player we took out of this draft but the Geno selection has me the most excited because of what I hope it means for Mark Sanchez who makes me not want to watch the Jets play.  

A QB that wasn't hated on so much, a beast pass-rushing OLB, an explosive WR, a dynamic RB, a size/speed freak of a TE... all of that does, maybe a safety like (LaRon) Landry, too.

We got the best QB of the draft so you can't fault the Jets. Jets couldn't get Tavon cuz he was gone. We have Holmes, Hill and Kerley so its a decent WR core, until someone gets hurt like last year. We have Powell, Goodson, Ivory and even McKnight. Not sure if there's any room for an RB. A best pass-rushing OLB was not available at 9. An explosive WR was also gone. TE, I'll give you that. Landry was solid against the run but average in coverage. Sure I'd like him on the team, but Jets had too many needs and too few dollars to spend.

All those things you mentioned, takes about 3 drafts to accomplish unless you get lucky, in which case it'd be 2 drafts minimum, not one. IMO, Jets got 4 starters out of the draft (including Geno). Make that 5 with Ivory being part of a draft pick trade. Not many teams can do that.

We got the best QB of the draft so you can't fault the Jets. Jets couldn't get Tavon cuz he was gone. We have Holmes, Hill and Kerley so its a decent WR core, until someone gets hurt like last year. We have Powell, Goodson, Ivory and even McKnight. Not sure if there's any room for an RB. A best pass-rushing OLB was not available at 9. An explosive WR was also gone. TE, I'll give you that. Landry was solid against the run but average in coverage. Sure I'd like him on the team, but Jets had too many needs and too few dollars to spend.

All those things you mentioned, takes about 3 drafts to accomplish unless you get lucky, in which case it'd be 2 drafts minimum, not one. IMO, Jets got 4 starters out of the draft (including Geno). Make that 5 with Ivory being part of a draft pick trade. Not many teams can do that.

I'm not talking about accomplishing all of it, really. I'm talking about accomplishing at least one or two of those things, specifically as it pertains to offensive playmakers.

We couldn't fill all our holes in this draft, but we did have a chance to fill a few. We did fill a few, but not enough. The corner and the d-lineman, for example, were both basically luxury picks. We could have had average-above average play at corner without Millner, and average-above average play on the d-line without Richardson.

As I see it, our problem as it relates to next year's draft is this: we're going to be in desperation mode for an OLB or two (and a safety). Ultimately what that means to me is that we are still 2 years away from grabbing a top flight, high impact wide receiver and/or tight end. 2 more years is too long.

I'm not talking about accomplishing all of it, really. I'm talking about accomplishing at least one or two of those things, specifically as it pertains to offensive playmakers.

We couldn't fill all our holes in this draft, but we did have a chance to fill a few. We did fill a few, but not enough. The corner and the d-lineman, for example, were both basically luxury picks. We could have had average-above average play at corner without Millner, and average-above average play on the d-line without Richardson.

As I see it, our problem as it relates to next year's draft is this: we're going to be in desperation mode for an OLB or two (and a safety). Ultimately what that means to me is that we are still 2 years away from grabbing a top flight, high impact wide receiver and/or tight end. 2 more years is too long.

I'll give you an example of 2007 draft since that was the last time we drafted an All-Pro in the first round, Revis. That off season, Jets had desperate needs at DL, RT, RB and ILB. They traded up and grabbed Revis. Now CB wasn't an immediate need cuz they had Andre Dyson, Hank Poteat, and David Barrett as a Mangini favorites.  Jets could have gone and grabbed the next best RB in the draft (since no RB was taken between the 25th and 14, where Jets moved up to, so lets assume no trade up). Jets would have drafted one of the Kenny Irons, Chris Henry, Brandon Jackson, or Tony Hunt. All these RBs were drafted in that order after the Jets 25th overall pick.

We could have gone DL and picked up Jarvis Moss, or Alan Branch even after trading up to the 14th, OR staying at 25th. Or we could have drafted Lawrence Timmons, Jon Beason, or Anthony Spencer at 14 or after. Some good LBs, but certainly not all-world talent there.

See what happens when you draft for NEED and not BPA? You can very easily miss an All-World player while fixing your ONE need where the player might not even be that good. Good organizations always draft the board (BPA) and not need unless you are debating between picking a player they rate at 95 but doesn't come in as an immediate need, or drafting a 92 that does fill an immediate need. If we continue to draft BPA for 5 straight years, we may get 5+ possible All-Pros at positions that may not be immediate needs (we can always trade incumbents and use that pick the following year), or we can draft for need and cover all our needs, but not necessarily an elite group of talent.

Archived