Brad Smith

Smashmouth

• First player in division 1-A history to pass for 8,000 yards and run for 4,000 yards in career.
  • First player in division 1-A history to pass for 2,000 yards and run for 1,000 yards in a season twice in a career.
  • Second player in division 1-A history to rush for 1,000 yards and pass for 2,000 yards in a season.
  • Fourth player in division 1-A history to score 200 points and pass for 200 points in a career.
  • Sixth player in division 1-A history to pass for 200 yards and rush for 200 yards in a single game (vs. Nebraska on October 22, 2005).
  • Most rushing yards in division 1-A history by a freshman quarterback.
  • Holds school record for:
    • Career rushing yards.
    • Career total yards.
    • Most points in a game (30) and most touchdowns (5) (vs. Texas Tech on October 25, 2003).
  • Holds 68 different MU, Big 12 and NCAA game, season and career records (as of 12/2005).
  • 2006 Independence Bowl MVP.
  • 2006 Hula Bowl MVP.
  • 2002 1st-Team Freshman All-American by FWAA, The Sporting News, College Football News, and Rivals.com

Ever wonder what might have been if this kid ever got a chance to play QB ? Sure we all know the so called issues with his release but Kapernick has a long release as well. I guess we will never know. But with the trend moving towards more atheletic QB's maybe Brad might have surprised some folks. If he was playing now in college would teams have been more attuned to his skill set ?

athleticism is hard to beat especially if the guy has refinement in mechanics and decision making. i know he threw a nice TD pass to braylon in the playoffs against the colts in '09;)

Good question.

I think he had some accuracy issues as well as mechanical/technique issues, but could his accuracy have been any worse than Sanchez'?  I doubt it.

I really liked Brad and was elated when the Jets drafted him.  Then I was really pissed when they almost never let him throw from the Wildcat, and ALWAYS had him run to the right.  So predictable.   Those clueless twits Schotty and Rex had a dangerous weapon in Smith and never fully utilized his talents.

Good question.

I think he had some accuracy issues as well as mechanical/technique issues, but could his accuracy have been any worse than Sanchez'?  I doubt it.

I really liked Brad and was elated when the Jets drafted him.  Then I was really pissed when they almost never let him throw from the Wildcat, and ALWAYS had him run to the right.  So predictable.   Those clueless twits Schotty and Rex had a dangerous weapon in Smith and never fully utilized his talents.

Agree 100 % .. The running to the strong side was so damn predictable but then again Shotty was always predictable. Still can't believe we went from Shotty to Sparano what a terrible decision that was along with trying to make Tebow a Wildcat QB with no speed or quickness. Just horrific offensive Football decisions.

They did let Brad Smith throw from the wildcat but during an important game he made a throw that looked just awful.  Like never-picked-up-a-football-before awful.

That was it for Brad Smith and throwing the football in a game.

Never wondered even a little. Not a great arm, smaller/thinner than you might want at the position, slow release...Trying him at QB with a significant number of snaps would be a fire-able offense. 

It was a good enough arm to throw for 8,000 yards during his collegiate career.  That's nothing to sneeze at.  I think he threw 3 passes from the wildcat during his time with the Jets.   I'm not saying that he would have been the answer at QB, although they never really gave him a shot.  I think he's certainly better than Tebow and may be better than Sanchez.  While that's not saying much, he probably would have turned the ball over less often, could have picked up a lot of yards with his feet, and had potential.  If nothing else, he could have been a much greater weapon in the wildcat if Schotty wasn't so darned predictable and let him mix it up more.

They did let Brad Smith throw from the wildcat but during an important game he made a throw that looked just awful. Like never-picked-up-a-football-before awful.

That was it for Brad Smith and throwing the football in a game.

guess u missed the td pass 2 bray bray against indy in afccg

Looks like I misremembered.  Smith has thrown passes every year since 2007 under 2 different coaches.

I do remember one awful looking pass he threw in an important game, and after that he seemed to mostly run when they put him in.  But apparently that was a temporary situation.

It was a good enough arm to throw for 8,000 yards during his collegiate career. That's nothing to sneeze at. I think he threw 3 passes from the wildcat during his time with the Jets. I'm not saying that he would have been the answer at QB, although they never really gave him a shot. I think he's certainly better than Tebow and may be better than Sanchez. While that's not saying much, he probably would have turned the ball over less often, could have picked up a lot of yards with his feet, and had potential. If nothing else, he could have been a much greater weapon in the wildcat if Schotty wasn't so darned predictable and let him mix it up more.

1) College arm strength and NFL arm strength are two different things.

2) He's not better than Tebow and weirdly enough not better than Sanchez.

3) Schotty used him exactly as he should have which allows for your dreams that Smith really could have done more.

4) Smith isn't an NFL QB. He definitely took QB snaps in his earliest camps.

guess u missed the td pass 2 bray bray against indy in afccg

Guess you were watching a different game than the rest of us were because that never happened.  

Brad Smith's one and only career TD pass was a 3-yard dumpoff to Dustin Keller against a Buffalo defense so atrocious that Mark Sanchez threw 2 TDs and 0 picks.  Later that same year, even Mark Brunell threw 2 TD passes against them.  Since signing with Buffalo in 2011 he has thrown 0 TD passes and 2 interceptions.

In the Indy AFCCG he completed a 35-yard pass to Cotchery that went for a 45 yard play.  Here's the truth, though: Smith badly underthrew Cotchery, who had his man beat by 7 yards and had to stop running to wait for Smith's floater to arrive.  He carried the DB 10 yards with it before getting tackled instead of what would have been an easy, walk-in TD with a good throw.

Brad Smith is a good guy to have on the squad.  He's solid player who's decent to pretty good at a bunch of things, but who is great (or even really good) at nothing.  He's a great, versatile player to keep around at maybe $2M/year, but at $4M/year only Buffalo was stupid enough to pay him.  That worthless bum Sanchez is a HOF QB compared to him.  

Brad Smith was not, is not, and never will be an NFL QB.  

This thread is a good microcosm of how low we have sunk. Team in the biggest sports market hasn't had an above average qb since vinny played out of his mind in 1996, not to mention that year broke a long drought as well. Brad Smith? Momma Mia...

This thread is a good microcosm of how low we have sunk. Team in the biggest sports market hasn't had an above average qb since vinny played out of his mind in 1996, not to mention that year broke a long drought as well. Brad Smith? Momma Mia...

It's not as bad as you're making it out.  It was 1998 lol.  

And as much as it makes me cringe to admit it, Pennington was clearly above average in 2002.  So it's only a 10-year drought (about to be 11).

It was a good enough arm to throw for 8,000 yards during his collegiate career.  That's nothing to sneeze at.  I think he threw 3 passes from the wildcat during his time with the Jets.   I'm not saying that he would have been the answer at QB, although they never really gave him a shot.  I think he's certainly better than Tebow and may be better than Sanchez.  While that's not saying much, he probably would have turned the ball over less often, could have picked up a lot of yards with his feet, and had potential.  If nothing else, he could have been a much greater weapon in the wildcat if Schotty wasn't so darned predictable and let him mix it up more.

truth is people are judging him in this thread on 2 throws and never saw him do anything else. He was judged early and was never looked at as an NFL QB and was never going to get the chance here or anywhere else . If he was available in the up coming draft I would be willing to bet he would get a look and while the outcome might very well be the same, its obvious the NFL is starting to look more and more at the athletic QB.

Dont forget strong arms in college are different than strong arms in the NFL  :animal0029:

The thread is not so much about Brad Smith playing QB for the Jets . Its a question about todays NFL where teams are more inclined to take an atheletic QB than they were in years past.

truth is people are judging him in this thread on 2 throws and never saw him do anything else. He was judged early and was never looked at as an NFL QB and was never going to get the chance here or anywhere else . If he was available in the up coming draft I would be willing to bet he would get a look and while the outcome might very well be the same, its obvious the NFL is starting to look more and more at the athletic QB.

Dont forget strong arms in college are different than strong arms in the NFL  :animal0029:

so like tebow?

Yeah, and he didn't even have an above average arm for college

Once again, Brad Smith was given QB snaps in camps and practices. He is not a QB not because the Jets never thought of that brilliant idea. He is not a QB because physically its not a job he can handle at the NFL level.

Because of the type of role he plays (he isn't your regular WR) he actually does get QB snaps in practices.  He surely got to throw the ball more than 2 times.  If either the Jets or Bills saw him whipping the ball around, routinely hitting guys between the numbers, they'd clearly have given him a better look.  These are two teams who clearly have had some instability at the position.

This is ridiculous. Greg McElroy is 2x as likely to be a good NFL QB as Brad Smith.

• First player in division 1-A history to pass for 8,000 yards and run for 4,000 yards in career.
  • First player in division 1-A history to pass for 2,000 yards and run for 1,000 yards in a season twice in a career.
  • Second player in division 1-A history to rush for 1,000 yards and pass for 2,000 yards in a season.
  • Fourth player in division 1-A history to score 200 points and pass for 200 points in a career.
  • Sixth player in division 1-A history to pass for 200 yards and rush for 200 yards in a single game (vs. Nebraska on October 22, 2005).
  • Most rushing yards in division 1-A history by a freshman quarterback.
  • Holds school record for:
    • Career rushing yards.
    • Career total yards.
    • Most points in a game (30) and most touchdowns (5) (vs. Texas Tech on October 25, 2003).
  • Holds 68 different MU, Big 12 and NCAA game, season and career records (as of 12/2005).
  • 2006 Independence Bowl MVP.
  • 2006 Hula Bowl MVP.
  • 2002 1st-Team Freshman All-American by FWAA, The Sporting News, College Football News, and Rivals.com

Ever wonder what might have been if this kid ever got a chance to play QB ? Sure we all know the so called issues with his release but Kapernick has a long release as well. I guess we will never know. But with the trend moving towards more atheletic QB's maybe Brad might have surprised some folks. If he was playing now in college would teams have been more attuned to his skill set ?

If he came out in the last couple years he probably would be starting for a contender.  

1) College arm strength and NFL arm strength are two different things.

2) He's not better than Tebow and weirdly enough not better than Sanchez.

3) Schotty used him exactly as he should have which allows for your dreams that Smith really could have done more.

4) Smith isn't an NFL QB. He definitely took QB snaps in his earliest camps.

1) That's undeniable.  I could be wrong, but I don't think arm strength was the issue with Smith, but maybe I'm wrong.

2) I disagree.  I think he's definitely better than Tebow, and he'd have a difficult time not being better than Sanchez.

3) Again I totally disagree.  Schotty didn't have a clue how to use what "talent " he did have at his disposal.  His playcalling and often his play design, was awful.  He was totally predictable.  He'd call for the wildcat at the end of quarters and halves and whenever Sanchez started to get on a roll and gain some momentum.  He didn't know how to set up plays to succeed.  The only reason he isn't the worst OC in the NFL is because Sparano and a few others are around.  We saw what Smith could do on KORs when he got the ball in his hands.  I can't recall one single time they ever threw a WR screen to Smith or a dump off pass in the flat.  He is a dynamic ball carrier and both faster and more elusive than Tebow.

4) I never said he was an NFL QB.  That said, taking some snaps his rookie season, when he had one of the worst OCs in the NFL and one of the worst QB Coaches in the NFL hardly constitutes any kind of chance to become a QB.  Even with an excellent QB coach, I don't think he would have made it as a starting QB, but think he possibly could have become a decent backup.  Even if not, he could have done a lot more in the wildcat if they had not been so predictable and called for more passes.

Please.  If anything it is a testament to the poor reading comprehension of some posters.  Not one person in this thread has said that they definitely think that Smith could have become a starting QB in the NFL when he was drafted.  No one has definitely said that he could become one now if he was just coming out of college.  I just said that he could have been a more dangerous weapon in the wildcat if Schotty hadn't been so predictable and had let him throw more.  I think he also could have been dangerous as WR if used properly.  They always had him running deeper, more complex routes.  I can't recall one single time where they threw him a WR screen, a dump pass in the flat, or used him on an end around and let him run with the ball.  The latter was always reserved for Cotchery, who was the slowest WR on the team and he lost yardage every single time the play was run.

It's just a point for discussion at a boring time in the offseason.  Why some of you posters always have to try to act as censors and tell people what kind of threads and discussions we should have is beyond me.  I've seen it on every Jets board I've ever posted on (and this is my 7th or 8th).

1) That's undeniable.  I could be wrong, but I don't think arm strength was the issue with Smith, but maybe I'm wrong.

2) I disagree.  I think he's definitely better than Tebow, and he'd have a difficult time not being better than Sanchez.

3) Again I totally disagree.  Schotty didn't have a clue how to use what "talent " he did have at his disposal.  His playcalling and often his play design, was awful.  He was totally predictable.  He'd call for the wildcat at the end of quarters and halves and whenever Sanchez started to get on a roll and gain some momentum.  He didn't know how to set up plays to succeed.  The only reason he isn't the worst OC in the NFL is because Sparano and a few others are around.  We saw what Smith could do on KORs when he got the ball in his hands.  I can't recall one single time they ever threw a WR screen to Smith or a dump off pass in the flat.  He is a dynamic ball carrier and both faster and more elusive than Tebow.

4) I never said he was an NFL QB.  That said, taking some snaps his rookie season, when he had one of the worst OCs in the NFL and one of the worst QB Coaches in the NFL hardly constitutes any kind of chance to become a QB.  Even with an excellent QB coach, I don't think he would have made it as a starting QB, but think he possibly could have become a decent backup.  Even if not, he could have done a lot more in the wildcat if they had not been so predictable and called for more passes.

bahahah better then tebow bahahaha

Please.  If anything it is a testament to the poor reading comprehension of some posters.  Not one person in this thread has said that they definitely think that Smith could have become a starting QB in the NFL when he was drafted.  No one has definitely said that he could become one now if he was just coming out of college.  I just said that he could have been a more dangerous weapon in the wildcat if Schotty hadn't been so predictable and had let him throw more.  I think he also could have been dangerous as WR if used properly.  They always had him running deeper, more complex routes.  I can't recall one single time where they threw him a WR screen, a dump pass in the flat, or used him on an end around and let him run with the ball.  The latter was always reserved for Cotchery, who was the slowest WR on the team and he lost yardage every single time the play was run.

It's just a point for discussion at a boring time in the offseason.  Why some of you posters always have to try to act as censors and tell people what kind of threads and discussions we should have is beyond me.  I've seen it on every Jets board I've ever posted on (and this is my 7th or 8th).

Very well said !!

It's not as bad as you're making it out.  It was 1998 lol.  

And as much as it makes me cringe to admit it, Pennington was clearly above average in 2002.  So it's only a 10-year drought (about to be 11).

Wow you are right, only 10 years... Feels like 30 lol

The thread is not so much about Brad Smith playing QB for the Jets . Its a question about todays NFL where teams are more inclined to take an atheletic QB than they were in years past.

Athletic is one thing but you still have to be able to throw. Otherwise tebow would've gotten at least a bag of chips in trade.

Censors? Lolwut? It is called a "discussion board" and we are discussing the topic. Dont like a different point of view? Start a blog.

Wow you are right, only 10 years... Feels like 30 lol

Athletic is one thing but you still have to be able to throw. Otherwise tebow would've gotten at least a bag of chips in trade.

Censors? Lolwut? It is called a "discussion board" and we are discussing the topic. Dont like a different point of view? Start a blog.

BS  You weren't discussing anything.  In saying that this thread is an example of how low things have sunk, you weren't creating further discussion, but attempting to stifle discussion.  If you can't understand the difference, then you need to go back to school and learn the English language.

Archived