Mini Camp Tweets

flgreen

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manish Mehta  @MMehtaNYDN  .

Jets QB Mark Sanchez taking all first-team snaps today so far in the team period. Geno Smith working with second team #nyj
1m  .
Beat Writer / Columnist

JetNation.com @JetNation  .

RT @8_Hours: @JetNation amazing updates with jets practice Ty #nyjets
1m  .
Blogger / Podcaster

Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73  .

Rex on Winslow & Sims-Walker: "Man, I hope both of them are like they used to be." #Jets 

Well, Rex bases all his personnel decisions on a maximum of 17 seconds of 3 year old game footage, so in his mind, they will be.

How things have changed...jets working wildcat plays with kerley taking snaps. Last year it was a "secret weapon".

2m  .

Blogger / Podcaster

The more things change, the more they stay the same... wildcat plays? Really?

Geno had best day of all QBs. Sanchez continued to struggle with consistency. Geno looked good(not great) even with backup skills players

6m  .

Blogger / Podcaster

Well there goes Bit's argument Mark is playing better

Rich Cimini @RichCimini  .

Practice over. Rough go for the offense. Sanchez worked with starters -- 4-for-8, 1 sack, 1 near-INT. Smith -- 4-for-7, 3 sacks. #Jets

1m  .

Beat Writer / Columnist

considering that 2 of smiths incompletes were drops, i like his stats even better.

I respect the opinion of the Jet Nation blogger who saw the practice but it sounds like neither was very good. 

The outcome where Geno starts 16 games in 2013 and we don't see Mark at all, seems unlikely. The dude has an angel on his shoulder where he's impossible to cut and his competitors drop out for no reason (David garrard).  How about the fact that he was benched and then unbenched at the end of last year after Greg got shallacked? Maybe geno wins the job in camp, gets smeared against the Pats and then it's back to Mark week 3. the guy is gonna play. nothing against Geno, but Mark is gonna play. 

I respect the opinion of the Jet Nation blogger who saw the practice but it sounds like neither was very good. 

The outcome where Geno starts 16 games in 2013 and we don't see Mark at all, seems unlikely. The dude has an angel on his shoulder where he's impossible to cut and his competitors drop out for no reason (David garrard).  How about the fact that he was benched and then unbenched at the end of last year after Greg got shallacked? Maybe geno wins the job in camp, gets smeared against the Pats and then it's back to Mark week 3. the guy is gonna play. nothing against Geno, but Mark is gonna play. 

The thing is, we know Sanchez is not very good in the NFL to begin with.

Sanchez doesn't look good because he is pure garbage. Geno could be a gem, but look bad due to being a rookie and having zero knowledge of NFL terminology/concepts. The reason why the two don't look good, could be very different. Which one has the higher upside is the question you should be asking yourself. 

Geno could be a gem, but look bad due to being a rookie and having zero knowledge of NFL terminology/concepts.  

I agree with that but bottom line he should win the job by being better than Mark. Not by having more upside.

I agree with that but bottom line he should win the job by being better than Mark. Not by having more upside.

God I hope this isn't how the Jets approach it.   

1 - They know what they (don't) have in Sanchez

2 - they need to figure out if Geno has the skills to be a franchise NFL QB before the 2014 draft

3 - If Geno does have the potential then they need to figure out if he is best served by learning for 1 year on the bench or by getting game reps.   I think the decision will largely be dependent on the strength of the OL.    They don't want Geno getting shell-shocked like David Carr or Kenny O'Brien - if the OL can keep him upright I say let the kid play and see what he has.   Sanchez future is in the TV studio not on the field.   

2 - they need to figure out if Geno has the skills to be a franchise NFL QB before the 2014 draft

3 - If Geno does have the potential then they need to figure out if he is best served by learning for 1 year on the bench or by getting game reps.   I think the decision will largely be dependent on the strength of the OL.    They don't want Geno getting shell-shocked like David Carr or Kenny O'Brien - if the OL can keep him upright I say let the kid play and see what he has.   Sanchez future is in the TV studio not on the field.   

If Mark is terrible awful suck so bad garbage, and Geno can't beat him out, what does that say about Geno? better start him to see what they have? If he can't beat out Mark they know what they have. 

If Mark is terrible awful suck so bad garbage, and Geno can't beat him out, what does that say about Geno? better start him to see what they have? If he can't beat out Mark they know what they have. 

It won't really surprise me if Mark is the more impressive guy in minicamp and the initial stages of training camp. The more polished, experienced guy will win out more often than not during this time, usually. I'm more interested to see how he performs during the preseason games. I truly do not think we will find much out until then. Everything else is just glorified 7 on 7s at this point.

Having said that, if by let's say week 3 in the preseason, Geno is still being bested by Sanchez, then I would say Mark earned the spot, fair and square. I'd be bummed out about it, tho. It's hard watching someone be one of the worst guys at their position 5 straight years. Especially when that guy is our QB. 

Ouch

Sadly your right

Perhaps it's not the best analogy, since both were real QBs, but who won the starting job for the Rams in 1999? The Ravens in 2000? The Pats in 2001? Even better, who won the Jets' starting job in 1998? The Bills that same year? The Titans in 2008? Remember when Tommy Maddox won the starting job for the Steelers in 2004?

Just saying the incumbent player who was on last year's team, even a bad one like Glenn Foley, gets a very real advantage.  And some of the above examples - as well as plenty of others I didn't list here - show that just because someone wins the job in the offseason doesn't mean he's the best QB on the team. 

The situation is similar to the 49ers without the new coaches.  Alex Smith was worse than Sanchez and nobody wanted him.  They drafted some kid in the second round whom was raw.  Colin was far more unknown than Smith, but harbaugh and others thought enough of him.    Smith wound up starting, doing well, and almost getting to the super bowl.  He started again the next year, got injured, and Kapernick took over from that point.  Now Smith is in KC and the rest is history. 

Unless MM works miracles and who knows, 99 percent of people thought Alex Smith should have been out of football and he was in the NFL longer than Sanchez and never really did a damn thing even up to Sanchezs standards.     The reality is Smith wasn't thought to be ready for the NFL as a QB, so why suddenly is he ready now even if he has a good camp?   And throwing him out to the wolves won't work any miracles.  It'll probably kill the guys career.  Even if the OL is half decent, they really have no running backs and no WRs.  That's not a good thing for a rookie raw QB.  Better to throw Sanchez out to the wolves, suck up another year, let Smith learn, practice, get some snaps over the season, and maybe even start a game or two near the end if the season is that bad.    

At this point throwing Smith to the wolves just because everybody hates Sanchez would probably be a disaster.  And some QBs never recover from that.

With 4 seasons played under his belt (still a year away from getting Harbaugh as his HC), Alex Smith was not worse than Mark Sanchez with 4 years played under his belt.  Sometimes people keep saying or hearing things said enough that they just believe it.  

Smith was atrocious as a 21 year-old rookie, for a team that didn't have a lot going for it as well as an awful defense that was giving up 3-4 TDs per game.  

He was mediocre to slightly below average his 2nd year (which was a big improvement).  

Then he bounced back downward in his 3rd year & then was playing with a separated shoulder so his final numbers make him look worse than he was.  

He lost the starting job the next offseason but it turns out his shoulder was still messed up from the surgery and he had another surgery to correct it.  

His next year he was average to mediocre.  Year after that was about the same.  Both of those two years, when he was playing, he kept from turning it over in a ball-control offense (which Sanchez is incapable of).  It was only then that Harbaugh stepped into the picture.  So while Smith clearly got better with better coaching, he was already far removed from the 21 year-old kid who threw 1 TD, 11 picks, and 11 fumbles in half a season as a rookie. 

Smith was a better prospect than Sanchez and was a better pro QB than Sanchez.  An absolutely horrendous rookie season - far worse than Sanchez's - was almost 10 years ago.  Since then, when he's been healthy, he was at least mediocre and while he wasn't a baller that was going to pass the team to victory he could be trusted to go out there and not lose the game.

This notion that 99% of the people thought pre-Harbaugh Alex Smith would be out of football is utter nonsense.  The 2 years before Harbaugh got there he was a 60% passer who wasn't in danger of having 32 teams unwilling to have him on their rosters.  He was a legitimate NFL starter, even if he was only a mediocre one.  He just had (or has) a case of Penningtitis where he can't stay on the field.

so tebow shoulda gotten a shot last year since they know how much sanchez sucks?

With 4 seasons played under his belt (still a year away from getting Harbaugh as his HC), Alex Smith was not worse than Mark Sanchez with 4 years played under his belt. Sometimes people keep saying or hearing things said enough that they just believe it.

Smith was atrocious as a 21 year-old rookie, for a team that didn't have a lot going for it as well as an awful defense that was giving up 3-4 TDs per game.

He was mediocre to slightly below average his 2nd year (which was a big improvement).

Then he bounced back downward in his 3rd year & then was playing with a separated shoulder so his final numbers make him look worse than he was.

He lost the starting job the next offseason but it turns out his shoulder was still messed up from the surgery and he had another surgery to correct it.

His next year he was average to mediocre. Year after that was about the same. Both of those two years, when he was playing, he kept from turning it over in a ball-control offense (which Sanchez is incapable of). It was only then that Harbaugh stepped into the picture. So while Smith clearly got better with better coaching, he was already far removed from the 21 year-old kid who threw 1 TD, 11 picks, and 11 fumbles in half a season as a rookie.

Smith was a better prospect than Sanchez and was a better pro QB than Sanchez. An absolutely horrendous rookie season - far worse than Sanchez's - was almost 10 years ago. Since then, when he's been healthy, he was at least mediocre and while he wasn't a baller that was going to pass the team to victory he could be trusted to go out there and not lose the game.

This notion that 99% of the people thought pre-Harbaugh Alex Smith would be out of football is utter nonsense. The 2 years before Harbaugh got there he was a 60% passer who wasn't in danger of having 32 teams unwilling to have him on their rosters. He was a legitimate NFL starter, even if he was only a mediocre one. He just had (or has) a case of Penningtitis where he can't stay on the field.

Spot on.

Not to mention Smith had like 3 OC's in 4 yrs or something like that.

Archived