fighting for jobs in training camp. It will be an intense camp, as GM
John Idzik has been singing the "competition" song from the moment he
arrived. Here's our list of those whose jobs are the most tenuous:

1. G/T Vladimir Ducasse:
This is a make-or-break year for the former second-round pick. His
biggest ally, former GM Mike Tannenbaum, is gone, meaning his
scholarship has expired. Ducasse played every position except center
during the offseason, helping his chances. But with three draft picks
and improved depth, he'll actually have to earn his spot.

2. QB Greg McElroy: Former seventh-round picks don't get to hang

around forever. This will be McElroy's third year, and he's battling Matt Simms
for the No. 3 job -- if there is a No. 3 job. QBs coach David Lee has
been trying to get him to take more chances, throwing downfield instead
of opting for check-downs.

3. WR Clyde Gates:
Rex Ryan keeps telling everyone that Gates is one of the fastest
players in the league. He might be right, but even when he's healthy
(which hasn't been often), Gates doesn't play to his speed. He's here
because former OC Tony Sparano liked him from their days in Miami. Now
Sparano is in Oakland. By the end of August, they could be reunited.

4. TE Konrad Reuland: The arrival of Kellen Winslow Jr.
could jeopardize Reuland's spot on the roster. They're basically the
same type of player -- pass-catching tight ends. Reuland's fate could be
tied to Winslow's health; a chronic knee condition makes it 50-50 that
the former Pro Bowler lasts through training camp.

5. RB Bilal Powell: The Jets acquired two backs in the offseason,

Chris Ivory and Mike Goodson, an indication they don't view Powell

as a long-term answer. The same could be said of Joe McKnight,
but he has value as a kickoff returner. Powell has to find a niche. His
value increases if Goodson is suspended for his recent arrest.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/24003/take-5-jets-vets-on-the-bubble

3. WR Clyde Gates:
Rex Ryan keeps telling everyone that Gates is one of the fastest
players in the league. He might be right, but even when he's healthy
(which hasn't been often), Gates doesn't play to his speed. He's here
because former OC Tony Sparano liked him from their days in Miami. Now
Sparano is in Oakland. By the end of August, they could be reunited.

Wow I did not think anyone was stupid enough to employ him after last year! - The Raiders, one of the few franchises, dumber than the Jets over the years.

The problem with this team is the Jets on the bubble are terrible.  Is there one player in there that anyone would be said to see leave?

I think it would be a big mistake for them to get rid of Powell.  While he certainly wasn't all-world, the guy was a solid player on an absolutely abysmal offense last season, and certainly played better than Greene when given the opportunity.  Whether it's a horrendously awful veteran in Sanchez, or a green rookie in Smith, the Jets are going to need to rely on their running game this year, and not one of Ivory, Goodson or McKnight are particularly known for their great track record of health.  Powell is a solid runner who can also play on third downs, and while I'd agree he has the least big-play ability of the bunch, I also think he is the exact kind of insurance that position needs given the track record of those other three.

I think it would be a big mistake for them to get rid of Powell.  While he certainly wasn't all-world, the guy was a solid player on an absolutely abysmal offense last season, and certainly played better than Greene when given the opportunity.  Whether it's a horrendously awful veteran in Sanchez, or a green rookie in Smith, the Jets are going to need to rely on their running game this year, and not one of Ivory, Goodson or McKnight are particularly known for their great track record of health.  Powell is a solid runner who can also play on third downs, and while I'd agree he has the least big-play ability of the bunch, I also think he is the exact kind of insurance that position needs given the track record of those other three.

I hope Powell makes it as well.  But man if that is the biggest returning player decision the Jets have, this team is screwed, lol.

without looking it up I think Sparano is the Oakland offensive line coach, a position he's actually good at. He is not their OC or HC. 

Wow I did not think anyone was stupid enough to employ him after last year! - The Raiders, one of the few franchises, dumber than the Jets over the years.

I hope Powell makes it as well.  But man if that is the biggest returning player decision the Jets have, this team is screwed, lol.

While I get what you're saying, keep in mind there are actually reasons for this being the case.  For starters, the Jets had an excessive number of players who were FAs this offseason, particularly amongst their older veteran players.  The second thing is with Idzik coming in and this team being in rebuilding mode, he was not hesitant to send plenty of the Jets' veteran players packing right away and relying more on the team's younger talent.  With few exceptions, the vets who were kept around were all amongst the Jets best players.  So basically, those veteran players who would have normally been fighting for their jobs weren't even given the chance to do so, as the team determined they'd rather just give the young guys the chance.

Granted, none of this says particularly good about the Jets' talent this season, but the point is that the guys you would have normally expected to be on this list when looking at the roster from last season aren't even on the team anymore.

Some list.  Two of the guys were picked up last year on waivers. I'm not sure how high the Jets were on the waiver list, but that isn't exactly like cutting long-term vets and draft picks. 

Most of the "vets on the bubble" were cut during the salary purge or not re-signed.  Scott, Thomas, Moore, Slauson.  Maybe a guy like Pace fits since he is probably still on the bubble after being cut and taken back. 

Which team are you talking about? it's the Jets right! cause our biggest problem right now is the QB

and Mark Sanchez needs to go find someplace to sit down  

we are screwed :frown:...we don't have a good NFL qb :cussing: 

Archived