Fielding a Top Ten Defense As It Relates to Winning

Gastineau Lives

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That just might be the post we are all referring to when we jump on Shane about his projection for the team at the start of the year. They do share an agenda, don't they. Of course they are going to be better than 5-11, this offense has been a revelation!

What are we blaming me for now, exactly?

In other words, top offenses aren't any more valuable than top defenses?

that seems to be the case. but i didnt look at top defenses over the past 5 years only. 10 years back defense was still more valuable maybe.........the last 5 years only might be a better indicator of how they both stack up. i will check

ok so over the past 5 years only top 5 ranked defensive teams have gone to the playoffs about 76% of the time. highest number yet. wasn't incredibly scientific but it seems defense can possibly be more valuable still as far as making th eplayoffs go. i'm gonna look to see where these teams average offensive ranking was.

If you want to play that game, there are 4 teams in that top 10, that are possibly one game from being removed from the playoff hunt. Too early to start playing these games. just sayin'.

Um, aren't you the same guy who just finished telling everyone how half of a football season proved beyond doubt how the entire landscape of the NFL has changed (and even then, having to discount about 1/8th of the league as outliers in the process)?  Now suddenly 20 years of evidence isn't enough because there's a chance that this season might not hold up to those numbers exactly, despite it currently being on pace to do so?

Um, aren't you the same guy who just finished telling everyone how half of a football season proved beyond doubt how the entire landscape of the NFL has changed (and even then, having to discount about 1/8th of the league as outliers in the process)?  Now suddenly 20 years of evidence isn't enough because there's a chance that this season might not hold up to those numbers exactly, despite it currently being on pace to do so?

Rankings are meaningless, BG.  Parity makes all teams the same.  There is no difference between the Jaguars and Broncos.  There's no point in watching football, working a job, or loving others.  All life as we know it is pointless and we will eventually become dust and sent out into the void. 

Maybe it's that winning or making the playoffs causes a team's defense to finish (statistically) in the top 10 70% of the time.

well since i'm home from work with 2 sick children and am absolutely bored out of my mind i am going to do a little statistical analysis, just for the past 5 years, as it relates to playoff teams conference champions and the eventual superbowl champions. lets see what it looks like.

well since i'm home from work with 2 sick children and am absolutely bored out of my mind i am going to do a little statistical analysis, just for the past 5 years, as it relates to playoff teams conference champions and the eventual superbowl champions. lets see what it looks like.

Therefore staying home from work makes (or keeps) your children sick.  You should go into work so they get better.

;)

ok, so i looked at some of the stats of playoff teams from the last 5 years. namely, total offense, total defense, scoring offense and scoring defense. i also included some general information about their standing from the previous year (since it possibly made their schedule a bit weaker). i also included the wining pct. of the other teams in their divisions just as a reference to how weak their division appeared to be. this isn't a terribly thorough scientific analysis, but i didn't want to get too crazy because it likely would have become too long. i calculated some percentages, but there are alot more that can probably be done for analysis.

TOTAL OFFENSE          SCORING OFFENSE        TOTAL DEFENSE        SCORING DEFENSE

2012 - total points scored:11,651

All Play-off Teams Average Rank                                                                                                                     11.2                                 8.4                                  14.1                                   9.8

Average Rank of Divisional Rd. Teams                                                                                                             9.6                                  6.6                                  11.6                                   6.6  

Average Rank of Conference Championship Game Teams                                                                            9.0                                  7.0                                  17.3                                   7.0

2011 - total points scored: 10,788

All Play-off Teams Average Rank                                                                                                                      11.5                                10.6                                 15.5                                  13.0  

Average Rank of Divisional Rd. Teams                                                                                                             11.3                                9.6                                   17.9                                  13.1

Average Rank of Conference Championship Game Teams                                                                            12.8                                 8.8                                  16.3                                  11.3

2010 - total points scored: 11,283

All Play-off Teams Average Rank                                                                                                                       13.5                               11.1                                  12.3                                   9.7

Average Rank of Divisional Rd. Teams                                                                                                              17.3                               12.6                                  12.1                                   6.8

Average Rank of Conference Championship Game Teams                                                                             16.0                               14.0                                   4.8                                    3.3

2009 - total points scored: 10,991

All Play-off Teams Average Rank                                                                                                                        9.8                                 7.9                                   10.6                                    8.8

Average Rank of Divisional Rd. Teams                                                                                                               9.3                                 8.1                                   12.3                                    8.6

Average Rank of Conference Championship Game Teams                                                                              8.8                                 6.8                                   12.5                                    9.8

2008 - total points scored: 11,279

All Play-off Teams Average Rank                                                                                                                        12.2                               9.3                                     9.3                                     8.3

Average Rank of Divisional Rd. Teams                                                                                                               12.8                               8.3                                    10.0                                    8.8

Average Rank of Conference Chamionship Game Teams                                                                                13.3                              10.0                                    6.0                                     9.0

TOTAL OFFENSE         SCORING OFFENSE          TOTAL DEFENSE         SCORING DEFENSE

Average of All Conference Championship Game Teams 2008-2012                                                             12.0                                     9.4                                    11.4                                 8.1                                                                          

Average of All Conference Championship Winners 2008-2012                                                                      9.6                                      8.6                                    14.8                                 11.4

Average of All Conference Championship Losers 2008-2012                                                                        14.3                                    10.1                                    8.0                                   4.7

Average of All Superbowl Champions 2008-2012                                                                                           11.2                                    10.0                                   15.0                                 12.0   

Average of All Superbowl Game Losers 2008-2012                                                                                         8.0                                      7.2                                    14.6                                 10.8

% of Teams Who Made Play-offs After Being 3rd or 4th in Division Previous Year: 38%

% of Play-off Teams With Total Off and Def Rankings in Top Half Of League: 43%

% of Play-off Teams With Scoring Off and Scoring Def Ranks in Top Half Of League: 57%

% of Play-off Teams With Total Off Rank in Bottom 1/3 of League (22nd or Higher): 13%

% of Play-off Teams With Total Def Rank in Bottom 1/3 of league (22nd or Higher): 22%

% of Play-off Teams With Top 8 (top 25% of league) Scoring Offense: 45%

% of Play-off Teams With Top 8 (top 25% of league) Scoring Defense: 48%

to me the most telling stat here is that the winners of the championship games favored a strong offensive team by a pretty wide margin. overall it would appear that a stronger offense favors a stronger defense. 2010 was a year where strong defenses dominated the play-off field though. if you guys have any other comparisons you'd like to see let me know. i was going to do more but i got tired of math, lol

• 2 weeks later...

jets scoring offense rank: 31st

jets scoring defense rank: 25th

chances of making playoffs without a significant turnaround in one of these categories? likely <1%

edit: i originally wrote 0% because it would be unprecedented....but since it's mathematically possible that we cintinue this crappy play and still make it if we win enough games somehow i changed it

ok, so i looked at some of the stats of playoff teams from the last 5 years. namely, total offense, total defense, scoring offense and scoring defense. i also included some general information about their standing from the previous year (since it possibly made their schedule a bit weaker). i also included the wining pct. of the other teams in their divisions just as a reference to how weak their division appeared to be. this isn't a terribly thorough scientific analysis, but i didn't want to get too crazy because it likely would have become too long. i calculated some percentages, but there are alot more that can probably be done for analysis.

TOTAL OFFENSE          SCORING OFFENSE        TOTAL DEFENSE        SCORING DEFENSE

2012 - total points scored:11,651

All Play-off Teams Average Rank                                                                                                                     11.2                                 8.4                                  14.1                                   9.8

Average Rank of Divisional Rd. Teams                                                                                                             9.6                                  6.6                                  11.6                                   6.6  

Average Rank of Conference Championship Game Teams                                                                            9.0                                  7.0                                  17.3                                   7.0

2011 - total points scored: 10,788

All Play-off Teams Average Rank                                                                                                                      11.5                                10.6                                 15.5                                  13.0  

Average Rank of Divisional Rd. Teams                                                                                                             11.3                                9.6                                   17.9                                  13.1

Average Rank of Conference Championship Game Teams                                                                            12.8                                 8.8                                  16.3                                  11.3

2010 - total points scored: 11,283

All Play-off Teams Average Rank                                                                                                                       13.5                               11.1                                  12.3                                   9.7

Average Rank of Divisional Rd. Teams                                                                                                              17.3                               12.6                                  12.1                                   6.8

Average Rank of Conference Championship Game Teams                                                                             16.0                               14.0                                   4.8                                    3.3

2009 - total points scored: 10,991

All Play-off Teams Average Rank                                                                                                                        9.8                                 7.9                                   10.6                                    8.8

Average Rank of Divisional Rd. Teams                                                                                                               9.3                                 8.1                                   12.3                                    8.6

Average Rank of Conference Championship Game Teams                                                                              8.8                                 6.8                                   12.5                                    9.8

2008 - total points scored: 11,279

All Play-off Teams Average Rank                                                                                                                        12.2                               9.3                                     9.3                                     8.3

Average Rank of Divisional Rd. Teams                                                                                                               12.8                               8.3                                    10.0                                    8.8

Average Rank of Conference Chamionship Game Teams                                                                                13.3                              10.0                                    6.0                                     9.0

TOTAL OFFENSE         SCORING OFFENSE          TOTAL DEFENSE         SCORING DEFENSE

Average of All Conference Championship Game Teams 2008-2012                                                             12.0                                     9.4                                    11.4                                 8.1                                                                          

Average of All Conference Championship Winners 2008-2012                                                                      9.6                                      8.6                                    14.8                                 11.4

Average of All Conference Championship Losers 2008-2012                                                                        14.3                                    10.1                                    8.0                                   4.7

Average of All Superbowl Champions 2008-2012                                                                                           11.2                                    10.0                                   15.0                                 12.0   

Average of All Superbowl Game Losers 2008-2012                                                                                         8.0                                      7.2                                    14.6                                 10.8

% of Teams Who Made Play-offs After Being 3rd or 4th in Division Previous Year: 38%

% of Play-off Teams With Total Off and Def Rankings in Top Half Of League: 43%

% of Play-off Teams With Scoring Off and Scoring Def Ranks in Top Half Of League: 57%

% of Play-off Teams With Total Off Rank in Bottom 1/3 of League (22nd or Higher): 13%

% of Play-off Teams With Total Def Rank in Bottom 1/3 of league (22nd or Higher): 22%

% of Play-off Teams With Top 8 (top 25% of league) Scoring Offense: 45%

% of Play-off Teams With Top 8 (top 25% of league) Scoring Defense: 48%

to me the most telling stat here is that the winners of the championship games favored a strong offensive team by a pretty wide margin. overall it would appear that a stronger offense favors a stronger defense. 2010 was a year where strong defenses dominated the play-off field though. if you guys have any other comparisons you'd like to see let me know. i was going to do more but i got tired of math, lol

I'm very impressed. Good work.

Again, you have to change some variable to change the equation. To bring it home the only real move left is seeing if Simms might be a player. No 31st ranked offense is getting in the playoffs. Simms might suck but it's a change.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived