Bengals cut megabust LB Aaron Maybin

Jetfan13

Linebacker Aaron Maybin continued his saga as a NFL draft megabust on Sunday when he was released from the Cincinnati Bengals according to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com. The 25-year-old has now been cut by three different teams since being drafted in the first round by the Buffalo Bills in 2007.

Maybin endured two seasons with no sacks in Buffalo. He looked a little better after being picked up by the New York Jets, notching six sacks in his first season with Gang Green. The Jets cut him after eight sackless games in 2012 and he signed with the Bengals this past offseason

Pity.  He really looked like he had found something with the Jets in 2011.

What the hell-let the guy keep trying.  Maybe he'll find that one system and Defensive Coordinator where he blossoms.  It's happened before.

Actually I think he found it with the Jets.   A 220 pound pass rusher.  That's it.  

Jets made the same mistake the Bills made and tried to make him an every down LB'er.   Bulked him up to 250+, he lost that first step and bye-bye.  Kid just can't carry the weight.  

If you just want strictly a passrusher OK.  Problem is when you are in that role you most play ST's  Maybin doesn't

What the hell-let the guy keep trying.  Maybe he'll find that one system and Defensive Coordinator where he blossoms.  It's happened before.

I think that if he didn't make it with the Jets he's not going to make it.  He'd need to start hitting it on specials to stick around.  He may continue his career as a part time pass rusher, but without an everydown role and not a contributor on specials (I'm not sure why) he is going to be bouncing on and off of rosters and only be active situationally.  Lack of practice squad eligibility doesn't help either.  

I think that if he didn't make it with the Jets he's not going to make it.  He'd need to start hitting it on specials to stick around.  He may continue his career as a part time pass rusher, but without an everydown role and not a contributor on specials (I'm not sure why) he is going to be bouncing on and off of rosters and only be active situationally.  Lack of practice squad eligibility doesn't help either.  

Also what doesn't help is that after 5 years the vet's minimum salary jumps significantly.  

actually he still looked very awkward and stiff. The only time he ever looked even remotely comfortable was when he was rushing from the outside but he always went too deep into the backfield and tackles were always able to just guide him out there fairly easily as the QB stepped up in the pocket. He was a smaller version of Vernon Gholston and did not like to mix it up in tight spaces. Most of his sacks were coverage sacks with him doubling back to get the QB, I think maybe one or two were legit under 3 second sacks.

This guy is an athletic freak who has no football sense in him at all he's just a terrible football player who plays awkward and is afraid of any contact he cant initiate.

Archived