Is this weekend's game the entire QB competition?

ZachEY

If Geno plays well and shows he belongs on the field, you can't possibly pull him after that for Sanchez, can you?

If Geno makes too many mistakes, or fails to get the offense in rhythm, you easily can go to Sanchez to start, citing the old "best chance to win" or "geno's not quite ready" monikers.

Seems like, because of the way it's all played out, this game pretty much means everything.  My best guess is that he sputters a bit and Sanchez ends up getting the nod for the early season, with Geno coming in at the bye at the latest.  But, with Sanchez making typical Sanchez mistakes after being given the start in game one, and then while Geno was hurt, it seems like this game will pretty much decide it.  Thoughts?

Based on what I heard yesterday from the coaching staff (Rex, MM, Lee), Geno would literally have to torch the Giants and look incredible to beat Sanchez out for the job.  I dont see that happening, so Sanchez will be your day 1 starter.  And while I may not have supported that early on, as the season gets closer, I think its the right thing to do.  Let Sanchez takes his lumps with the difficult part of the schedule and when he inevitably fails, bring in Geno.  Because you cant start Geno day 1 and go back to Sanchez if it turns out he's truly not ready. 

Sucks because I really never want to see Sanchez play another down for the Jets but I do think its the best decision for the team and ultimately, for Geno as well.

Based on what I heard yesterday from the coaching staff (Rex, MM, Lee), Geno would literally have to torch the Giants and look incredible to beat Sanchez out for the job.  I dont see that happening, so Sanchez will be your day 1 starter.  And while I may not have supported that early on, as the season gets closer, I think its the right thing to do.  Let Sanchez takes his lumps with the difficult part of the schedule and when he inevitably fails, bring in Geno.  Because you cant start Geno day 1 and go back to Sanchez if it turns out he's truly not ready. 

Sucks because I really never want to see Sanchez play another down for the Jets but I do think its the best decision for the team and ultimately, for Geno as well.

Yeah.  I'm honestly talking a lot about popular opinion, I suppose.  If Geno leads a couple of scoring drives, I don't know how you come to the fans with Sanchez again.

I agree that it probably wont happen, and it's probably best to give Geno some time, but a good performance against the Giants throws a huge wrench in the plan that Rex is likely pulling for.

it's a win win. Either Geno comes out and is awesome or we get to watch a man wearing a Fumanchu moustache and a headband mullet. Either way I'm entertained. 

You and I have very different opinions on the meaning of win/win!

People are reading WAY too much into those comments and also completely ignoring some of Lee's other comments:

Footwork [has] gotten better. It struggled big time in that last week in Cortland when he got hurt and pushed through those practices,” quarterback coach David Lee said. “It really affected his footwork. We felt like he went backwards a little bit but he pushed through it. But from a mental standpoint, we feel like he got mentally tougher from it. And now today was by far the quickest and best that he’s looked.”

Lee praised Smith for his audibles at the line in Thursday’s practice, which he cited as proof of the quarterback’s continued grasp of the Jets’ West Coast offense.

As far as handicapping the competition, Lee said it was “too close to call.”

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/boston/sports/2013/08/22/geno-smith-named-starter-for-jets-third-preseason-game/#sthash.CTEsAOZj.dpuf

Nothing there suggests anything other than Geno coming on really strong. This sentiment that they are only starting Geno to even out the competition is ludicrous. They are starting Geno to allow him to win the competition. If he plays at a level equal  to or better than Sanxhez in the preseason games he is the starter.

Yeah.  I'm honestly talking a lot about popular opinion, I suppose.  If Geno leads a couple of scoring drives, I don't know how you come to the fans with Sanchez again.

I agree that it probably wont happen, and it's probably best to give Geno some time, but a good performance against the Giants throws a huge wrench in the plan that Rex is likely pulling for.

I mean, they're sticking to the plan of an open competition.  Clearly, they are undecided.  I think yesterday's comments from the coaching staff was a message to Geno essentially saying they are leaning toward Sanchez.  So, he better force their hand if he wants the job week 1.

I'm sure the popular opinion from a fan perspective is anything but Sanchez, but the objective fan should understand the decision even if Geno comes out, leads a couple scoring drives and doesnt turn the ball over.  For a 6 win team, the schedule is brutal out the gates.  Someone that is looking at this holistically, should see that isnt fair to Geno. 

If Geno plays well and shows he belongs on the field, you can't possibly pull him after that for Sanchez, can you?

If Geno makes too many mistakes, or fails to get the offense in rhythm, you easily can go to Sanchez to start, citing the old "best chance to win" or "geno's not quite ready" monikers.

Seems like, because of the way it's all played out, this game pretty much means everything.  My best guess is that he sputters a bit and Sanchez ends up getting the nod for the early season, with Geno coming in at the bye at the latest.  But, with Sanchez making typical Sanchez mistakes after being given the start in game one, and then while Geno was hurt, it seems like this game will pretty much decide it.  Thoughts?

Whether or not Geno plays well I think you give him this season. Do you think the Jets go to the playoffs with Sanchez at QB? No, a thousand times no. So what's the point? The Jets will go to the playoffs if - and ONLY if - Geno channels his inner Russell Wilson. If he sucks we know we have to draft a QB in a draft that will be abundant at the position. Mark Sanchez already sucks and will be taking his suck-ism to his next destination next season.

There seems to be a tug of war taking place between front office and coaching.

Front office-Let's start Geno, take our lumps, know what we have, know how to clearly move on for the future

Coaching staff-Let's start Sanchez, he is the known quantity, at least let us try and save our jobs.

It will be interesting to see how it plays. 

People are reading WAY too much into those comments and also completely ignoring some of Lee's other comments:

Footwork [has] gotten better. It struggled big time in that last week in Cortland when he got hurt and pushed through those practices,” quarterback coach David Lee said. “It really affected his footwork. We felt like he went backwards a little bit but he pushed through it. But from a mental standpoint, we feel like he got mentally tougher from it. And now today was by far the quickest and best that he’s looked.”

Lee praised Smith for his audibles at the line in Thursday’s practice, which he cited as proof of the quarterback’s continued grasp of the Jets’ West Coast offense.

As far as handicapping the competition, Lee said it was “too close to call.”

- See more at: http://www.metro.us/boston/sports/2013/08/22/geno-smith-named-starter-for-jets-third-preseason-game/#sthash.CTEsAOZj.dpuf

Nothing there suggests anything other than Geno coming on really strong. This sentiment that they are only starting Geno to even out the competition is ludicrous. They are starting Geno to allow him to win the competition. If he plays at a level equal  to or better than Sanxhez in the preseason games he is the starter.

Meh, I could turn this around and say you're reading way to much into this comment.  We're talking about practice.

MM kept citing experience when referring to Mark.  And how you cant replace it.  That speaks much louder than improving Footwork and playing quicker at practice coming for the QB coach.  

If this happens, and they go back to Sanchez...they are setting this guy up to get mercilessly booed. There is no way they can do that. If Geno plays well Saturday, the job is his.

There seems to be a tug of war taking place between front office and coaching.

Front office-Let's start Geno, take our lumps, know what we have, know how to clearly move on for the future

Coaching staff-Let's start Sanchez, he is the known quantity, at least let us try and save our jobs.

It will be interesting to see how it plays. 

I think if you find out now, or in week 8, either way you'll get plenty of time. But if you want to give him a chance to really succeed, give him a few more week to see the NFL level before just throwing him to the wolves.

Whether or not Geno plays well I think you give him this season. Do you think the Jets go to the playoffs with Sanchez at QB? No, a thousand times no. So what's the point? The Jets will go to the playoffs if - and ONLY if - Geno channels his inner Russell Wilson. If he sucks we know we have to draft a QB in a draft that will be abundant at the position. Mark Sanchez already sucks and will be taking his suck-ism to his next destination next season.

You can find that out in 8 weeks too.  That's the point of holding him back.  Especially if you think that throwing him out there before he's ready won't benefit him.  Which is likely very true.  Saturday he can show he can handle a game.  So we'll see.

Being that Geno didn't play all that much in the first preseason game and missed the second, for him, it really is the be all end all game.  But in general, if he's playing against 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string guys because the Giants sit everybody after a few series,  then what do you really learn?   That Geno played good or bad against players that won't even be in the nfl?   I guess if he is that bad, it's a bad bad sign.  If he's great, its a great sign for the future, but it really doesn't mean anything for this season as far as what he may or may not do. 

At this point, I'm not really sure they should just throw Geno into the season as the start.  It'll be like Sanchez part 2, except the Jets are a far worse team. Having Geno sit for half a season or an entire season isn't that big a deal to me if he takes that time to learn and improve.   There are plenty of better players who were thrown to the wolves and never recovered.    

There's a HUGE middle ground between those two extremes.  Most likely, they won't go to the playoffs with Geno, either.  They don't need for Geno to start the whole season to see whether they think he can be the answer at QB.  He can struggle a bit early and steadily improve as the season goes on, or if forced to start early, he could struggle a LOT, get hurt, or see his confidence take a big hit.  Why risk any of that?  No one wants to see Sanchez again, but more important is what's best for Geno.  He needs to earn the job, and he needs to be ready to play at a high level and have the very best chance to succeed that he can.  It does no one any good, not the Jets and not Geno, if they just throw him out there simply because they don't want to see Mark on the field or are trying to appease all the impatient, illogical Jets fans.

There is absolutely no logical or solid football factual basis behind your opinion.  It's just impatience.

So what happens if Geno doesn't light it up but doesn't turn the ball over?   

The fanbase is done with Sanchez.   That is what makes the QB decision more difficult for the organization.   The fanbase as a whole would accept McElroy for one rebuilding year but will boo at the fist Sanchez int or 3-and-out.   Barring a pro-bowl start to the season and something around 3-1, this team and this fanbase is done with pick 6. 

As an organization the Jets need to figure out if Geno is the future, a backup, or the next Nagle in a long line of Nagles.   Assuming the Jets have a top 10 pick and cap space to work with for 2014 they need to figure out what to do about Geno sometime this year.  

Barring some type of 200 yard 2 TD no turnover performance, Sanchez will likely get the nod to start the season.  It may be in Genos best interests long term as well. 

Many of you crucify the early handling of Sanchez but seem fine with doing the same to Geno. 

Let Mark have his last chance...  We'll either be 5-3 and Mark will continue to start the remainder of the season, or 2-6 and it will be time to usher in the Geno era.  Neither of those propositions is really that bad.  Geno taking over mid season on a bad team would definitely keep me interested.

I think Sanchez will start and this will be a wild card contender much to the chagrin of zi haterz.  Fun times in store.

Barring some type of 200 yard 2 TD no turnover performance, Sanchez will likely get the nod to start the season.  It may be in Genos best interests long term as well. 

Many of you crucify the early handling of Sanchez but seem fine with doing the same to Geno. 

Let Mark have his last chance...  We'll either be 5-3 and Mark will continue to start the remainder of the season, or 2-6 and it will be time to usher in the Geno era.  Neither of those propositions is really that bad.  Geno taking over mid season on a bad team would definitely keep me interested.

I think Sanchez will start and this will be a wild card contender much to the chagrin of zi haterz.  Fun times in store.

Unless Geno truly is ready, I think Sanchez should start, but don't see any way possible that he will start the whole year, unless he is something like 10-0 at the bye or even 8-2 but has played like a quality QB, and stopped all the picks and buttfumbles.  The odds of that happening are something bordering impossible.  At some point, the Jets have to find out what they have in Geno.  At most, I think Sanchez would only be the starter up to the bye, but in all reality, I expect to see Geno sooner than that.and maybe a lot sooner.

The fanbase is done with Sanchez.   That is what makes the QB decision more difficult for the organization.   The fanbase as a whole would accept McElroy for one rebuilding year but will boo at the fist Sanchez int or 3-and-out.   Barring a pro-bowl start to the season and something around 3-1, this team and this fanbase is done with pick 6. 

As an organization the Jets need to figure out if Geno is the future, a backup, or the next Nagle in a long line of Nagles.   Assuming the Jets have a top 10 pick and cap space to work with for 2014 they need to figure out what to do about Geno sometime this year.  

That depends on the definition of "doesn't light it up".  If he moves the ball well and doesn't turn it over, that will probably be good enough.  If he doesn't turn it over, but doesn't accomplish much, that's probably enough for Rex stick with his binky.

I don't think geno can win it based on 5 drives alone.  that's a pretty silly idea if you think about it

the classroom time matters.  how has he advanced, digested the material ?

the practice time matters.  how has he advanced, improved his play ?

little things matter.  the jets drafted revis, in part because of how he treated the limo driver who picked him up.  they actually asked the guy which prospect seemed to be the best guy of all the guys he drove.

the jets drafted namath, in part, due to him offering an umbrella to a woman in the rain in NYC on his visit.  werblin wanted a star, and he saw namath had a quality the regular folks would love

so how geno has been impressing in the classroom, weight room, on the practice field, around the building all factors in

this game will count "50% towards the final score", but to say its all on this is just silly

I don't think geno can win it based on 5 drives alone.  that's a pretty silly idea if you think about it

little things matter.  the jets drafted revis, in part because of how he treated the limo driver who picked him up.  they actually asked the guy which prospect seemed to be the best guy of all the guys he drove.

the jets drafted namath, in part, due to him offering an umbrella to a woman in the rain in NYC on his visit.  werblin wanted a star, and he saw namath had a quality the regular folks would love

so how geno has been impressing in the classroom, weight room, on the practice field, around the building all factors in

this game will count "50% towards the final score", but to say its all on this is just silly

Geno will start eventually.  That much is for sure.

But, I think your underestimating the power of public opinion.  They benched Sanchez at home for one game last year to avoid boo's.  If Geno plays well and Sanchez still starts, opening day starts with the fans booing the starting QB.  That's not what anyone wants.

From Joewillie

I have my doubts about Jet Qb Gino Smith being ready to face the NFL's defenses ,both physically and mentality. He's got a young loose, lean body, and lacks anticipatory experience with NFL defenses. I believe the Jets should take some time to afford Smith a better chance to succeed.

Good post.  I totally agree.

I think then it's about how he looked. Did he not light it up because he's not seeing the field and panicked into bad throws or a couple of sacks where he had time to get rid of it? Or not lighting it up because the line gave him no time and/or the guys were dropping good passes?

I think it'll just be how he looked, as in just did he pass the eyeball test. Is he getting rid of the ball under pressure or is he still holding the ball like we've heard he's been doing in practice? Does he appear to be feeling footsteps that aren't there? Is he forgetting to do things they've been drilling into his head, but now it went out the window with live guys after him?

Better stats are nicer than bad stats, but keep in mind it doesn't make a damp bit of difference if we win or lose, if he completes 85% of his passes or 45% of them. If a sure interception bounces off a CB's hands into Hill's, and then he runs it in for a 50-yard TD, was that a good play? Of course not.

Did he look like an NFL QB or did he just look like a guy who might be someday but clearly isn't one today? That is what they need to answer, and answer "yes" to if they want him to start week 1.

Archived