Rex feeding the beast - Link

Cmartin

Fluff about the Jets and their fans, etc.

The important part of this is the piece is the message the reporter is sending to the other reporters that have turned on Rex... which is don't run him out of town, because his presence makes their jobs easier.

Fluff about the Jets and their fans, etc.

The important part of this is the piece is the message the reporter is sending to the other reporters that have turned on Rex... which is don't run him out of town, because his presence makes their jobs easier.

Rex really never understood the media...or their purpose.

From Rex on down this entire organization just lost confidence...and they were wayy too overconfident beginning with the 2010/11 offseason( you could say it even started the year before)

This team was never as good as they thought they were internally back when they made their runs..but their f it attitude(including Sanchez) back then definitely brought excitement to a boring franchise.

Now everything just seems stale. 

I agree with the final statement of the video.

"If this time next year Rex Ryan isn't at this podium, we'll be sorry, I guarantee it"

Amen.

People dont like his bafoonary - but he is deflecting attention from his players when it needs to be done. Every great HC does this in different ways then Rex - but they do it.

From Rex on down this entire organization just lost confidence...and they were wayy too overconfident beginning with the 2010/11 offseason( you could say it even started the year before)

This team was never as good as they thought they were internally back when they made their runs..but their f it attitude(including Sanchez) back then definitely brought excitement to a boring franchise.

I tend to think they never had confidence. I think good veteran leadership helped Rex to winning seasons in his first 2 years, but this team never had confidence. Once the veteran leadership was ousted, the team became reliant on Rex's leadership... and that's when the true character of Rex's team was exposed.

Schoolyard bully.

True confidence doesn't need to be a talking point or a sound byte. This team lacked true confidence, and did nothing but perch themselves on shock, awe and bluster (with a dash of luck, like the Colts benching their starters in a game that put us in the playoffs). When teams actually rose up, smacked us in the mouth, the facade of false confidence crumbled and the schoolyard bully has done nothing but whimper since.

I think Rex and his Jets were too dumb to realize it when the Colts did it to us, and were able to keep people fooled a bit longer... but when the Steelers did it, a truly tough organization, we were exposed as a bunch of Sally's and it has been downhill since that AFC Championship game.

I tend to think they never had confidence. I think good veteran leadership helped Rex to winning seasons in his first 2 years, but this team never had confidence. Once the veteran leadership was ousted, the team became reliant on Rex's leadership... and that's when the true character of Rex's team was exposed.

Schoolyard bully.

True confidence doesn't need to be a talking point or a sound byte. This team lacked true confidence, and did nothing but perch themselves on shock, awe and bluster (with a dash of luck, like the Colts benching their starters in a game that put us in the playoffs). When teams actually rose up, smacked us in the mouth, the facade of false confidence crumbled and the schoolyard bully has done nothing but whimper since.

I think Rex and his Jets were too dumb to realize it when the Colts did it to us, and were able to keep people fooled a bit longer... but when the Steelers did it, a truly tough organization, we were exposed as a bunch of Sally's and it has been downhill since that AFC Championship game.

Good points. The locker room is missing a Thomas Jones, Woody, Tomlinson...Rex could fire up guys 24 hours prior to kickoff( and Im sure still can)....but the sustaining type of leadership left when those guys left. Has anyone really ever stepped up?

Good points. The locker room is missing a Thomas Jones, Woody, Tomlinson...Rex could fire up guys 24 hours prior to kickoff( and Im sure still can)....but the sustaining type of leadership left when those guys left. Has anyone really ever stepped up?

No.

This lockerroom was Cotchery, T-Rich, Ellis, Bryan Thomas, Mangold, Brick, D Woody, Jenkins, Brandon Moore, Tomlinson, Cotchery, Revis, Leonard, Ihedigbo, Pool, etc. when Rex first arrived. TONS of veteran leadership here to truly power the team towards the over-achieving they did.

Most, if not all, of those guys were gone by year 3 and replaced with jerkoffs like Plaxico, Holmes, and draft busts who offered zero leadership, let alone skill on the field.

No.

This lockerroom was Cotchery, T-Rich, Ellis, Bryan Thomas, Mangold, Brick, D Woody, Jenkins, Brandon Moore, Tomlinson, Cotchery, Revis, Leonard, Ihedigbo, Pool, etc. when Rex first arrived. TONS of veteran leadership here to truly power the team towards the over-achieving they did.

Most, if not all, of those guys were gone by year 3 and replaced with jerkoffs like Plaxico, Holmes, and draft busts who offered zero leadership, let alone skill on the field.

Rex purged those vets like they stole his money and replaced them with mercenaries.

As to Matt's point, they had arrogance, but not confidence. Arrogance goes away quick in the face of adversity. Confidence takes a little longer.

Schoolyard bully.

^^^^This.  Spot on, as were your subsequent posts.   :word:  :good:  =D>

Rex purged those vets like they stole his money and replaced them with mercenaries.

As to Matt's point, they had arrogance, but not confidence. Arrogance goes away quick in the face of adversity. Confidence takes a little longer.

Yep, we're all saying/agreeing to the same thing.

Rex is teh Gooch.

I wish someone would explain their purpose to me! Most of the media sucks!

In it's simplest form, the purpose of the media is to make money for their owners.

Rex arrived and thought he'd make friends with them.  They have made him a caricature of himself in order to sell more papers.

It happens.

Can anyone name one very successful HC that conducted himself like Rex has and continues to do?

Predicting White House visits, comments about kissing Belichicks rings, dumb tattoo, Youtube foot freak, teams #1 QB playing behind scrubs in meaningless game and so on. What a joke.

Cant imagine why Idzik wants him gone.

Can anyone name one very successful HC that conducted himself like Rex has and continues to do?

Predicting White House visits, comments about kissing Belichicks rings, dumb tattoo, Youtube foot freak, teams #1 QB playing behind scrubs in meaningless game and so on. What a joke.

Cant imagine why Idzik wants him gone.

Rex would have been gone a while ago but the guy knows how to coach defense as good as anyone. 

I disagree.  I think they were that good those first 2 years except for Sanchez.  They won 9 games with a QB with about twice as many turnovers as TDs, who misfired on about half his pass attempts.  

NFL's #1 defense, NFL's #1 special teams unit, NFL's #1 rushing attack, behind arguably the NFL's #1 offensive line.

Few superbowl winners have all that going for them.  What they usually have is a good (or better than good) QB.  

I agree with the final statement of the video.

"If this time next year Rex Ryan isn't at this podium, we'll be sorry, I guarantee it"

I do not agree with this statement.  It is clear that one idiot (Kriegel) is just continuing the drama created by another idiot (Ryan).  Once Rextard, Suxchise and Lazy/GoodforNothing/LegendInHisOwnMindHolmes are gone the healing can begin.

I disagree.  I think they were that good those first 2 years except for Sanchez.  They won 9 games with a QB with about twice as many turnovers as TDs, who misfired on about half his pass attempts.  

NFL's #1 defense, NFL's #1 special teams unit, NFL's #1 rushing attack, behind arguably the NFL's #1 offensive line.

Few superbowl winners have all that going for them.  What they usually have is a good (or better than good) QB.  

They needed a QB and they drafted one. Who would you have preferred? They werent winning a SB with Kyle Orton or Josh Freeman either.

As far as holy sh*t this team is good, both the 2008 and 2009 teams were better than the 2010 team. And Sanchez was better in 2010 than 09. And we've been over it a million times, but the #1 ranked defense got absolutely cut up by the Colts in the second half of the AFC title game.

Blaming Sanchez for everything is really, really starting to get old.

Schoolyard bully.

Not sure school yard bully is the correct read.  Rex appears more pretentious than mean spirited.  Yes, he tried to instill confidence in his players with his bluster but his biggest downfall is his intellect.  It appears he didn't realize how much his credibility took a hit when he went over the top with false bravado.  We started seeing the fissures when the vets left the locker room and moved into the media.  All of sudden the dirty laundry (not holding players accountable, praising average performance) became open knowledge.  Then the whole foot fetish episode took it to another level.  To me, that's when the whole atmosphere changed. Rex seemed to lose his mojo.  Never been the same since. 

No.

That's the start of the circus.  Think Tannebaum added to that culture as well.

Spot on.

NFLAM is a joke. They constantly bash the Jets and the ONLY reason to watch is Nicole Z. Great legs, great rack, pretty. Other than that I wait for NFL All Access or NFL Replay. Can't stomach Kriegel. I wish Rex would have punched him out. Now THAT would have been entertaining.

No.

Will never understand why they were so quick to dump Cotchery. He may not be the ideal #1 WR, but a tandem  of Cothchery and Kerley would be decent. All we ever hear is how the jets have no weapons, but you dump serviceable people like Cotchery.  It's akin to the kid killing his parents and then complaining he's now an orphan. 

Same thing with Rob Turner.Instead they dump a decent vet to play Vlad. WTF?

Not sure school yard bully is the correct read.  Rex appears more pretentious than mean spirited.  Yes, he tried to instill confidence in his players with his bluster but his biggest downfall is his intellect.  It appears he didn't realize how much his credibility took a hit when he went over the top with false bravado.  We started seeing the fissures when the vets left the locker room and moved into the media.  All of sudden the dirty laundry (not holding players accountable, praising average performance) became open knowledge.  Then the whole foot fetish episode took it to another level.  To me, that's when the whole atmosphere changed. Rex seemed to lose his mojo.  Never been the same since. 

Spot on Jetscode1. I don't buy the schoolyard bully aspect, but Rex is pretentious and his 'confidence' is a mask to hide his insecurities behind. When teams rise up and smack the Jets, all their 'confidence' crumbles like dust. Rex's main problem is that he 'buddies' up to players that don't have his back. 'Can't wait' is a perfect example of that. BARF Scott's allergic reaction to tackling goes back to AFC championship in Pittsburgh when he had several chances to piledrive Rashard Mendenhall in the Steelers backfield only to let him 'slip away' for big yardage. BARF never recovered and didn't have to because Rex saw him as a freaking leader. Rex let all the true leaders go and the others are not self motivators. They just hide behind Rex and let him take the bullets.

I would like to see what Rex can do with a decent QB and offense before he is run out.  He has a winning record in spite of having the worst qb in the league over the last 4 years.  You can blame Rex for that but he has played the hand he has been dealt by the front office. Not wanting to get into a debate over how much input he had on obtaining the O side personnel but I would like to see him with a capable offense.

Tannenbaum certainly added to the culture with questionable draft picks and an attitude that screamed "I am great. I have nothing to worry about. I have the owner wrapped around my little finger and what I say goes." He sure sings a different tune these days. I used to hate seeing Tanny walk around the complex with his arrogant attitude while all the while his personnel moves became downright bizarre. Plex for Edwards and then Cotchery walking away FOR LESS money. Meanwhile drafting busts like Kyle Wilson, Vlad Ducasse (maybe not a bust, but not worthy of second round pick) Shonn Greene, Matt Slauson etc...

I would like to see what Rex can do with a decent QB and offense before he is run out.  He has a winning record in spite of having the worst qb in the league over the last 4 years.  You can blame Rex for that but he has played the hand he has been dealt by the front office. Not wanting to get into a debate over how much input he had on obtaining the O side personnel but I would like to see him with a capable offense.

Maybe you will, when he applies for his NEXT gig as a head coach because I think MOST Jets fans are pretty fed up with Rex for many reasons.

Maybe you will, when he applies for his NEXT gig as a head coach because I think MOST Jets fans are pretty fed up with Rex for many reasons.

definately getting that vibe lol.  Look at what the great bill belichick did his first 5 years in Cleveland.  Do you think that they would have dumped him now with 20/20 hindsight?

Rex would have been gone a while ago but the guy knows how to coach defense as good as anyone. 

Really? Have you seen his team against the run this preseason? ugly. Rex is overrated as a DC and never was any good as a HC. He made his bones in Baltimore with HOF type players everywhere. It has turned mighty stale in NY. Jets have NO speed at LB and Giants gashed them in run game. First play Davis takes wrong gap and David Wilson of all people goes 85 yards. Yeah, great defense.

Really? Have you seen his team against the run this preseason? ugly. Rex is overrated as a DC and never was any good as a HC. He made his bones in Baltimore with HOF type players everywhere. It has turned mighty stale in NY. Jets have NO speed at LB and Giants gashed them in run game. First play Davis takes wrong gap and David Wilson of all people goes 85 yards. Yeah, great defense.

I still think he's a good defensive coach. He's a defensive junkie...he just isnt a HC. It will suck to lose his defense, but oh well.

Will never understand why they were so quick to dump Cotchery. He may not be the ideal #1 WR, but a tandem  of Cothchery and Kerley would be decent. All we ever hear is how the jets have no weapons, but you dump serviceable people like Cotchery.  It's akin to the kid killing his parents and then complaining he's now an orphan. 

Same thing with Rob Turner.Instead they dump a decent vet to play Vlad. WTF?

The Cotchery thing I think was a bit different than a lot of these other scenarios.  By all accounts he started getting all pissy that the Jets no longer wanted him as a starter and kept bringing in WRs above him on the depth chart (Edwards, Holmes, Burress), so he didn't want to be here anymore.  Considering he's been #4 WR on the Steelers since then, I'm not so sure the Jets were entirely in the wrong there (although you could certainly question some of the other WR choices they made), but there wasn't much to say that the Jets had particularly wanted Cotchery gone as much as he wanted to be gone.

Archived