Ryan: RB Bilal Powell "earned the right to start" Sunday

Jetfan13

I'm not denying any of that and I'm not casting any aspersions on Idzik either.  I don't see any reason to be in love with what he has done.  Any trained monkey would have done the same and he took almost zero risks.  I was just inidcating that Milliner seems to have gotten his job without competition.  They listed him as a starter as soon as he arrived and he looked bad/was injured for the preseason games and I didn't hear any reports of him doing particularly well in camp.

Who is going to compete with him? Kyle Wilson? As if...Milliner was a high first round pick and as such should be expected to play, just as Wilson was until he proved he was substandard and couldn't ever find the football...that is until the opposing player had it in his hands.

I'm sure, but you'd think that with all the "earn it" and "competition" chatter they wouldn't be handing a job to a rookie that has barely played due to injury

If Sanchez was healthy he'd be the Week 1 starter.  No one is going to argue that Geno earned this.  As for Matt Simms, he DID win his competition:  For the # 3 job, over McElroy.

Everyone knows their role in this new regime.  I like that.

It's ok, we're good, this can still be used as evidence that Idzik is already the worst GM of all time because Ivory isn't the starter over a Tanny draft pick.  BOOM!

Wow, take about a Debbie Downer. Already with the Idzik sucks campaign? I though he had a pretty solid first draft though it takes at least three years to really tell. I would hold out a little while longer before making the Idzik is the worst GM of all time statements. After all look at what he inherited...Rex, a depleted offense with a shell shocked QB, no OC, and a nightmare salary cap situation. Give the man some time dude.

If Sanchez was healthy he'd be the Week 1 starter.  No one is going to argue that Geno earned this.  As for Matt Simms, he DID win his competition:  For the # 3 job, over McElroy.

Everyone knows their role in this new regime.  I like that.

Geno did NOT earn this, he was forced into it by the idiot Rex who got his starter injured. Sanchez played head and shoulders better than Smith in the per-season and - like you said - WOULD have been named the starter, if only for a short time. Yes, I agree that Simms outplayed McElroy and clearly deserved a spot on the team. I liked Big Mac, but his arm strength and ability to read defenses are less than needed.

Wow, take about a Debbie Downer. Already with the Idzik sucks campaign? I though he had a pretty solid first draft though it takes at least three years to really tell. I would hold out a little while longer before making the Idzik is the worst GM of all time statements. After all look at what he inherited...Rex, a depleted offense with a shell shocked QB, no OC, and a nightmare salary cap situation. Give the man some time dude.

BG was being facetious.

To be clear, that comment was simply meant to openly mock those who have been whining about everything Idzik does since day one.  I personally don't even get the hate for Powell as it is, so I have no particular issue with this situation.

Geno did NOT earn this, he was forced into it by the idiot Rex who got his starter injured. Sanchez played head and shoulders better than Smith in the per-season and - like you said - WOULD have been named the starter, if only for a short time. Yes, I agree that Simms outplayed McElroy and clearly deserved a spot on the team. I liked Big Mac, but his arm strength and ability to read defenses are less than needed.

Say what now?  Sanchez hasn't played head and shoulders better than anyone in his entire NFL career.  Sure, Sanchez probably would have been named the starter if not for his injury, but just like Geno, it wouldn't be because he had earned it.  If anything, it would have been by default simply because Geno hadn't earned it.  This entire preseason Sanchez did nothing but show us all that he's still the same joke he's always been; pick 6s to DL, throws straight to DBs in the endzone, and the inability to even handle a simple snap.  The only real difference between their respective preseasons is that Sanchez's mess didn't get as much scrutiny because we're all so used to it from him and it was broken up over multiple weeks.

I can get not thinking Geno is ready to start yet, but this recent storyline of acting like Sanchez is at all worth a damn or looked like anything short of crap this preseason is a complete fabrication that was conjured up simply because he got hurt.

Your opinion on what to do with regards to Revis is what I was explaining earlier (not to you), that the way everything was handled was not (paraphrasing) "the same thing anyone would have done."

Going the route he did led to the negotiation he did which led to the compensation it led to. He didn't walk into an extra top-15 pick for Revis when he took the job.

Yeah.  I was talking about his cuts, FA moves and cutting Holmes salary.  Sort of like the Brady Quinn deal.  It was obvious, but smart.  He doesn't get huge plus points for it, but it was good cutting him and I don't care if Smith and Simms both get hurt this week, it was still smart.  I think that was the obvious way to handle the Revis negotiation, but man he was getting killed in the press and on here for not moving quicker.  I'm glad we didn't get played.  I give Idzik a B so far, but as Slats says it is really an incomplete.  My favorite thing was the draft, but mostly because it seemed he stuck to his board instead of reaching for need. 

People (GMs) draft & surrender higher picks than a 4th, for busts (or veterans of varying experience) with less upside than Ivory, every year.

Powell is starting because Ivory missed too much time. It remains to be seen if he gets more carries or touches even in week 1, let alone for the season.

You wouldn't be taking the brave after-the-fact position of "if it works out I'll give limited (if any) credit, but if not I'll blast him like I knew it was stupid all along" would you?

I'm in full wait & see mode, but I can see value in trying to find high upside for a player that has shown some at the NFL level (i.e. the game is not too fast for him), and enough experience to throw in game 1 without getting your QB killed by a blitzer.

Sure things at RB aren't available for 4th round picks plus fairly cheap + limited-risk contracts. I hope he pans out. If not then you try again. So far he doesn't look too awesome but that was only pre-season and a "smarter" use of the pick (Johnathan Franklin) looks far worse - lazy + slow + no power or burst - while 100% healthy.

Why not wait to see how he plays first, after a decent # of carries? Lots of Saints fans were pretty unhappy with the trade.

I'm going to make this post assuming that Ivory and Powell are both healthy. If they are, Ivory's missed time is completely meaningless. His physical skills dwarf Powell's and he should be the starter. Period. If we're giving the Jets the benefit of the doubt as being competent (I don't) and they really have judged Ivory to be worse than Powell, it's a bad trade. 

I'm going to make this post assuming that Ivory and Powell are both healthy. If they are, Ivory's missed time is completely meaningless. His physical skills dwarf Powell's and he should be the starter. Period. If we're giving the Jets the benefit of the doubt as being competent (I don't) and they really have judged Ivory to be worse than Powell, it's a bad trade.

Pretty sure Ryan said the reason Powell is starting game 1 is due to Ivory missing time. Powell was around for more and therefore earned the nod for week 1. They have made no comments (that I've read) suggesting they think Powell is better or more talented.

Yea and that rational makes ZERO sense.

It makes perfect sense. Powell showed up in the summer, and Ivory didn't. Powell gets rewarded with the start.

Starting =/= playing time, though. If Ivory actually plays like he's more talented than Powell (as opposed to people just saying he is), then he should see a lot of time early, and eventually take the starting job away.

Archived