Jets working out WRs tomorrow!!!!!!!

joewilly12

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh?  What does your last two sentences have to do with your first two (or anything for that matter)?

Yes, I know that about both Wilson and Kerley, but both have pretty much sucked at returning punts in the NFL.  So because they were excellent at it in college, the Jets should just be satisfied with continuing to trot them out there, or worse, having no one back to return punts?  That makes no sense.

Who's hating?  It's insane to give up the opportunity to get return yards.  That's a fact.  It's NOT another grass is greener post. You have serious reading comprehension issues dude.  I was speaking in general with regards to the PR position and its importance.  I didn't even mention the Jets.  Neither did Sperm.  It was a general conversation.

Do me a favor and stop complaining about the reading comprehension of everybody on the site.  If nobody understands you, it might be you and not everybody else.  That is like the 50th time you have said that to me and while I may not take the time to read every word of every novel you post and my advanced degree might not be at the level of EY, Rutgers or dbates, I'm pretty sure my reading comprehension level is well above the acceptable level.  

You want to burn a pick on a punt returner.  The Jets have two guys that were among the top punt returners in the NCAA.  Wilson has not done well so far, but Kerley has basically been a top 10 punt returner and his average would put him there now, assuming that he had enough returns.  The Jets have not done poorly in the punt return department, but you want to replace these guys.  I assume it is because a draft pick will be better.  I don't see why. 

You mean dropping back empty is not a sustainable long term answer?

And on that, did the Jets explain that strategy?

In that type of game I had zero issue with it. A muffed punt generally equals automatic points. If only someone had filled in Marty to stop passing.

These are exactly the types of games the jets are going to be in all year long.

Are you telling me there is no one on this squad that can at least field a punt?

Kerley is the PR.

I'm sure this week they'll have someone out there. They were on a short week for the Pats game. I'm not going to go crazy over that. The "Jets can't even execute Punt Return!" angle from the media was fairly comical.  Close game, short week, dont run the risk of muffing a punt with a sh*tty returner.

Do me a favor and stop complaining about the reading comprehension of everybody on the site.  If nobody understands you, it might be you and not everybody else.  That is like the 50th time you have said that to me and while I may not take the time to read every word of every novel you post and my advanced degree might not be at the level of EY, Rutgers or dbates, I'm pretty sure my reading comprehension level is well above the acceptable level.  

Sure it is but skimming usually leads to ....

:P

These are exactly the types of games the jets are going to be in all year long.

Are you telling me there is no one on this squad that can at least field a punt?

Apparently not.  Kidding....don't go off on Rex because of my joke.  :)

PR is an extremely tough skill. Kerley is actually pretty good....Wilson is useless on PR. If he catches it, I'm happy.

Kerley is not a good punt returner. Somebody was showing me stats a couple of weeks ago. His numbers from last year were not good and he also fumbles too.  I think he led the league in fair catches and fair catches inside the ten. That guy fair catches on the 5. But he is is the best we have right now.

There are a handful of FAs that are not green and are much better than Gates. You can't have 2 of your top four wide receivers with a case of the dropsies. We saw this all of last year and all the blame was put on Sanchez. New quarterdeck, new offense, same problem. Maybe they should get rid of San Jay too.  

Boy, I would love to see a list of the "handful of FA's" because every list I see has guys who are either washed up, unproven or serious attitude problems.

Sure it is but skimming usually leads to ....

:tongue:

Didn't skim that. It was only about 5 sentences.

Kerley is not a good punt returner. Somebody was showing me stats a couple of weeks ago. His numbers from last year were not good and he also fumbles too.  I think he led the league in fair catches and fair catches inside the ten. That guy fair catches on the 5. But he is is the best we have right now.

Kerley's stats were okay. He was hurt most of last year.  Im not sure about the fumbles, but he certainly has to be more assertive.  He fair caught way too many, but his average was around 10th for guys over 15 returns.   My understanding was fair catch inside the 10, let it bounce inside the 5. 

Boy, I would love to see a list of the "handful of FA's" because every list I see has guys who are either washed up, unproven or serious attitude problems.

How about Steve Breaston or Early Doucet? You can nitpick at any free agent wideout at this point, but at least these guys can catch a football. As a WR, if you can't catch, what difference does anything else make? Gates is fast. So was Johnny Lam Jones. And gates is far worse than JLJ! sh*t where is Patrick Turner when you need him.

How about Steve Breaston or Early Doucet? You can nitpick at any free agent wideout at this point, but at least these guys can catch a football. As a WR, if you can't catch, what difference does anything else make? Gates is fast. So was Johnny Lam Jones. And gates is far worse than JLJ! sh*t where is Patrick Turner when you need him.

Doucet is damaged goods as per the Seahawks and Breaston is a 30 year old wide out who hasn't done anything in over a year.  With the team as it is, we are probably better off hoping Gates turns it around and we catch lightning in a bottle with him over Breaston.

Kerley has the skills to return punts. He just got fair catch happy last season. Wilson isnt a PR.

Braylon Edwards would immediately improve this team.

So much so that every single team in the league is afraid of how good their offense would be upon signing him, so he remains at home, unsigned, doing nothing.   Or his knee is shot and he hasn't produced more than 200 yards in a single season since we cut him, three years ago.  

So much so that every single team in the league is afraid of how good their offense would be upon signing him, so he remains at home, unsigned, doing nothing.   Or his knee is shot and he hasn't produced more than 200 yards in a single season since we cut him, three years ago.  

Do you think any other team  would pick up Clyde Gates?  No the Jets are the only team that would have him on the roster.

The Jets should be working out everyone and anyone to improve this team at WR.

Do you think any other team  would pick up Clyde Gates?  No the Jets are the only team that would have him on the roster.

Clyde Gates has never been on the street.  He was a 4th round pick (reach project to be sure) that was picked up off waivers.  He hasn't been a street FA like the dogs on that list. Maybe he will be soon, but he's way better than Patrick Turner and is actually capable of running and practicing unlike guys like Breaston and Edwards. 

The Jets should be working out everyone and anyone to improve this team at WR.

They aren't? They just had Darrell Green's son in for crying out loud.  They are looking under every rock.  The trouble is that under rocks what you find are slugs. 

STs are too important. Not having a PR back there is insane.  STs are a full one-third of the team.  A good PR is much more important in terms of field position and scoring points than a backup RB, WR, DB, whatever.

Yeah I don't care. Field a full competitive team on both sides of the ball and then use a draft pick on a guy who does nothing except hopefully he isn't a bust as a punt returner.

You want to burn a pick on a punt returner.  The Jets have two guys that were among the top punt returners in the NCAA.  Wilson has not done well so far, but Kerley has basically been a top 10 punt returner and his average would put him there now, assuming that he had enough returns.  The Jets have not done poorly in the punt return department, but you want to replace these guys.  I assume it is because a draft pick will be better.  I don't see why. 

Whatever.  That's not what I said at all, and you prove my point.  When you don't thoroughly read what someone says, you shouldn't respond to their posts because you only make yourself look like an ignorant ass.  I NEVER said I wanted to spend a draft pick on a PR.  I said that many teams in the NFL do and I can understand why because it's such an important position.

Whatever.  That's not what I said at all, and you prove my point.  When you don't thoroughly read what someone says, you shouldn't respond to their posts because you only make yourself look like an ignorant ass.  I NEVER said I wanted to spend a draft pick on a PR.  I said that many teams in the NFL do and I can understand why because it's such an important position.

It's an important position where college production does not come close to indicating an ability to do it in the NFL.  That is the reason why it is often filled with UDFAs and the same guys keep getting recycled. I certainly wouldn't want to reach for a "can't miss" guy like Hester and Ginn.

It's an important position where college production does not come close to indicating an ability to do it in the NFL.  That is the reason why it is often filled with UDFAs and the same guys keep getting recycled. I certainly wouldn't want to reach for a "can't miss" guy like Hester and Ginn.

I wouldn't reach for any player at any position.  That never works out.

I haven't made a detailed study of how collegiate PRs fare in the NFL, so I can't speak to that.  It seems to me that the ones who are the most dynamic and successful in the NFL, are fearless as well as elusive.  It would seem to me that assessing who should be a good PRs shouldn't be that difficult for NFL teams.  Kerley and Wilson are evidently to fearful of getting hurt or fumbling or something.  As starters or second on the depth chart, I can understand why they would be more cautious.  You don't want to lose a starter returning punts or KOs.  That's why it makes sense to me to draft a guy in a lower round who is quick and fearless and who can function as your 3rd down back, 4th RB or #4-#5 WR, but whose primary job is PR and KR.  It's no different than when teams have their #4 or #5 WR functioning as the gunner on their kick and punt coverage teams.

I wouldn't reach for any player at any position.  That never works out.

I haven't made a detailed study of how collegiate PRs fare in the NFL, so I can't speak to that.  It seems to me that the ones who are the most dynamic and successful in the NFL, are fearless as well as elusive.  It would seem to me that assessing who should be a good PRs shouldn't be that difficult for NFL teams.  Kerley and Wilson are evidently to fearful of getting hurt or fumbling or something.  As starters or second on the depth chart, I can understand why they would be more cautious.  You don't want to lose a starter returning punts or KOs.  That's why it makes sense to me to draft a guy in a lower round who is quick and fearless and who can function as your 3rd down back, 4th RB or #4-#5 WR, but whose primary job is PR and KR.  It's no different than when teams have their #4 or #5 WR functioning as the gunner on their kick and punt coverage teams.

FWIW, it would seem that guys who are good return men should flourish in Mornhinweg's system, so they may be looking for those types of guys anyway.  He certainly did plenty with DeSean Jackson.

http://thejetsblog.com/bga/bga-extra-patriots-at-jets-4/#more-77044

Interesting take.  

Wilson returning punts vs. Nobody returning punts, bore a 3.5 yard difference.  

I'm sure the idea was to get enough pressure with the 11th man, so as to get a blocked punt, in which case the field position on (1) single blocked punt, more than makes up for the multiple misses resulting in a return-free kick.  I like the strategy, especially if you're not that confident in what Wilson brings to the table.  Which I'm not. 

Did the Jets even come remotely close to blocking one of the Pats' punts with 11 men?  No.  The Pats came much closer and in fact almost blocked one of Malone's punts in the 2nd half. IMO that decision made the Jets CS (Kotwicka and Rex) look like a bunch of clueless tools and made the team even more of a laughingstock.  If I'm Idzik and my mind wasn't made up regarding Rex earlier, it sure is now.  Rex would be gone at the end of the season.

I forgot to say in my earlier response that I don't complain about the reading comprehension of everyone on this site, but only a handful who don't bother to carefully read what someone writes, then has the nerve to respond.  It's insulting to anyone's intelligence and should be to yours as well, as laughable.  It's not my problem if someone chooses to skim or not completely read a post because they think it's too long.  In that case, they'd be better off not responding.  Like everyone, I may not be completely clear at times, but in general I work hard to insure that I am.  If you'll notice, I edit a lot of my posts to make sure that they are.  Clear communication is part of my profession as a leader, teacher, and coach.  I am also a writer and have had a number of articles published in national magazines, so I work to be clear and precise.

I forgot to say in my earlier response that I don't complain about the reading comprehension of everyone on this site, but only a handful who don't bother to carefully read what someone writes, then has the nerve to respond.  It's insulting to anyone's intelligence and should be to yours as well, as laughable.  It's not my problem if someone chooses to skim or not completely read a post because they think it's too long.  In that case, they'd be better off not responding.  Like everyone, I may not be completely clear at times, but in general I work hard to insure that I am.  If you'll notice, I edit a lot of my posts to make sure that they are.  Clear communication is part of my profession as a leader, teacher, and coach.  I am also a writer and have had a number of articles published in national magazines, so I work to be clear and precise.

you should have edited your earlier response to include this gem.  my $0.02

Archived