Strahan speaks about his ill-gotten "sack record"

Bleedin Green

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000264285/article/michael-strahan-on-nfl-sack-record-if-you-dont-like-it-break-it

Like Ahmad Bradshaw's Super Bowl XLVI-winning touchdown, Michael Strahan's record-breaking sack of Brett Favre in the 2001 season is destined to forever be anticlimactic, spoiled by the inconvenient fact that the opposition -- for reasons strategic or personal -- decided to lay down (or in Bradshaw's case, stand up).

In Tuesday night's "A Football Life" on NFL Network, Strahan let on just how much the flak he's taken over that one play continues to bother him.

"I just hate that it got caught up in the wash of the record-breaking sack," the former New York Giants defensive end said.

"The sack record's great -- absolutely phenomenal, but I almost feel like in a sense it was diminished, because everyone goes, 'Oh, Brett Favre gave you a sack.' I caught so much flak over it. It's not worth it, because everyone looks as if one sack that they question is the defining moment of my career.

"I didn't have a sack in the first three weeks of the season. So from four weeks on -- 13 games, 22-and-a-half sacks. That's hard to match, and I've never spoken like this about it, because I've always kind of taken it, but I always have to say, if you don't like it, then break it."

Favre widely is perceived to have taken a dive on the play in question, which gave Strahan 22.5 sacks. That broke Mark Gastineau's single-season record of 22, set in 1984.

Appearing on NFL Network's "A Football Life: Backstory" after the Strahan documentary, Jim Fassel -- Strahan's coach in 2001 -- said that when a respected athlete like Strahan gets close to an all-time record, sometimes opponents want him to break it.

"It happens in athletics," Fassel said. "If players have respect for that person, and he's close to breaking a record -- I mean, you know, you've seen it in baseball, a guy's going to have a home-run record, an RBI record, if it doesn't matter to the game they'll put a fastball (down the middle) and let him knock it out of here. So if they have respect for the player, sometimes, 'I'm gonna let you get it.'"

Interesting to see Strahan is still crying about his tainted record 12 years later.  I'm thinking if he didn't want to catch crap for it then maybe he should have actually earned the record, particularly considering those who who fall into the group who "widely perceived" that Favre took the dive included his own offensive linemen.  While he tries to play off what happened, the truth is he doesn't break the record if not for it.

I'm curious, would he would have felt the same way if QBs started diving for JJ Watt at the end of last season or Jared Allen the year before that, to help them break his record?

He's a piece of sh*t who doesn't deserve the record.  I've never liked him, he's always seemed like a phony, me-first player, regardless of what he says.  And seriously, that ******* gap.  Fix that stupid sh*t already.

I thought that exact same thing. 

I can only speak anecdotally on Maris, but I distinctly remembering Tim Kurkjian and various others interview opposing pitchers who in regards to Bonds, Sosa and McGwire, flat out said  "No, I'd rather pitch around him. Nobody wants to be in the record books that way."  I can only imagine this is a Coach trying to defend his star player, but it seems pretty opposite from reality.

Things Favre did that make him a POS, in order:

1. never told the Jets he hurt his arm, cost them a playoff run and perhaps a shot at the SB

2. send pictures of his wang-dang-doodle to that brunette with implants

3. give Strahan this record

4. Wrangler jeans commercials

5. never won enough to justify turning 90% of all NFL commentators gay for him

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000264285/article/michael-strahan-on-nfl-sack-record-if-you-dont-like-it-break-it

Interesting to see Strahan is still crying about his tainted record 12 years later.  I'm thinking if he didn't want to catch crap for it then maybe he should have actually earned the record, particularly considering those who who fall into the group who "widely perceived" that Favre took the dive included his own offensive linemen.  While he tries to play off what happened, the truth is he doesn't break the record if not for it.

I'm curious, would he would have felt the same way if QBs started diving for JJ Watt at the end of last season or Jared Allen the year before that, to help them break his record?

No doubt about it Favre laid down.  It's not Strahan's fault though.  But Favre should've had enough respect for the game (and the record) to let Strahan earn it.  If it's just given away then what relevance does the record have?  I think I remember Gastineau (to his credit) being gracious about it at the time. 

Things Favre did that make him a POS, in order:

1. never told the Jets he hurt his arm, cost them a playoff run and perhaps a shot at the SB

2. send pictures of his wang-dang-doodle to that brunette with implants

3. give Strahan this record

4. Wrangler jeans commercials

5. never won enough to justify turning 90% of all NFL commentators gay for him

#1: He was an incredibly tough guy at QB and it was his "way" to try to play through everything

#2: It's hard to speculate on this one.  Who knows if she flirted w/ him too.  He was a rich and famous QB playing in NY.

#3: Agreed that this was a strike against him.  He should've had more respect for the game.

#4: Jeans commercials?  Who cares.

#5: He was a multiple time NFL MVP.  It's easy to discount him but he was a HOF QB. 

I can only speak anecdotally on Maris, but I distinctly remembering Tim Kurkjian and various others interview opposing pitchers who in regards to Bonds, Sosa and McGwire, flat out said  "No, I'd rather pitch around him. Nobody wants to be in the record books that way."  I can only imagine this is a Coach trying to defend his star player, but it seems pretty opposite from reality.

I think baseball records are more sacred than football records.  Baseball has so much down time during the game that announcers can talk about the rich history of the sport.  Plus baseball is more of a 1 on 1 matchup (pitcher vs hitter) than football (which is much more of a team sport).

Gastineau is still the record holder in my mind.  The tainted record isn't Strahan's fault, though.  It's doucheebag Favre's fault.  Gastineau was very cool about it, so he gets props.  It should still be a Jets record.  The fact that we took Favre, who then got beat by Pennington and the 'fins, then ditched the team with his "retirement" before playing for the Vikes....that's another black eye for Tannenbaum.  And I despise Tannenbaum.  And Favre. 

#1: He was an incredibly tough guy at QB and it was his "way" to try to play through everything

#2: It's hard to speculate on this one.  Who knows if she flirted w/ him too.  He was a rich and famous QB playing in NY.

#3: Agreed that this was a strike against him.  He should've had more respect for the game.

#4: Jeans commercials?  Who cares.

#5: He was a multiple time NFL MVP.  It's easy to discount him but he was a HOF QB. 

LOL, you actually took my post seriously?

Favre widely is perceived to have taken a dive on the play in question, which gave Strahan 22.5 sacks. That broke Mark Gastineau's single-season record of 22, set in 1984.

widely "perceived"? It was a total 'job' by Favre who thinks he is football's answer to God. He had no business GIVING AWAY a hard earned NFL record, but he did and I hate the man for it. Hated he even came to the Jets. That was one season I stayed away and applauded when he got hurt. Can't stand Brett "Pick" Favre. Strahan should NOT have taken the gift. He should have earned it like Gastineau did.

They should just list Deacon Jones at the top of the list to settle this stupid record.

In my mind Jones is the career leader in sacks, followed by Bruce Smith etc..but not the single season record holder. I am sure reporters could go back into their notes and see exactly how many sacks Jones had per season and if it's greater than 22.5 give it to him.

Archived