Damon "Snacks" Harrison: Best Situational Run Stuffer!

Villain The Foe

Rex fanboys have developed a fear that crediting Idzik with doing anything positive somehow diminishes Rex, which it does, because Idzik has basically saved Rex from pushing the entire organization off of a cliff.

Not true at all.  I credit both Rex and Idzik and put 100 % of the blame for the mess on Mike Tannenbaum, as it should be.  Tannenbaum drafted and extended Sanchez.  Tannenbaum overpaid David Harris and Bart Scott, drafted Vernon Gholston, Vlad Ducasse and Shonn Greene.  

Geno could do absolutely nothing for the rest of his career and I'd still think it was a good pick.

He has first round talent, if nothing else, and we managed to get him later on with very little invested in him. We needed to make a change at QB and that a brilliant low risk/high reward move.  

Yup.  And I love that the spin lately from some around here is that he kind of just fell into Geno.  How many people here were demanding we draft a WR or TE at that spot and wait for the 2014 draft to get a QB?

Please explain.

The Bucs paid Darrelle Revis QB money.  They were the only team willing to give this sum to a guy who just came off an ACL tear.  And they gave up a 1st and 3rd/4th rounder to have that privilege.  AND he isn't playing like he has in the past, not even close.  He almost single-handedly lost them the Arizona game by getting burned for the game-winning TD, something that never happened to him here.  The Bucs are currently 0-6.  What don't you understand?

The Bucs paid Darrelle Revis QB money.  They were the only team willing to give this sum to a guy who just came off an ACL tear.  And they gave up a 1st and 3rd/4th rounder to have that privilege.  They are currently 0-7.  What don't you understand?

They are not bad because they paid Revis that money. They are bad for a number of reasons from the QB being terrible to their coach taking their 16 mil shutdown cornerback and making him play zone, among other things. If the implication is that the money could have been spent elsewhere on other positions of the roster, I'm going to need you to tell me; where and on who. THAT is what I don't understand.

Take a look at Milwaukee's roster, it's better than ours.

They are not bad because they paid Revis that money. They are bad for a number of reasons from the QB being terrible to their coach taking their 16 mil shutdown cornerback and making him play zone, among other things. If the implication is that the money could have been spent elsewhere on other positions of the roster, I'm going to need you to tell me; where and on who. THAT is what I don't understand.

Take a look at Milwaukee's roster, it's better than ours.

The $16 million a year we'd be paying Revis would be money we wouldn't be able to use to re-sign guys like Mo Wilkerson down the road.  Or pay our franchise QB, whether that's Geno Smith or someone else.  You simply don't pay a CB that kind of money.  Even when Revis was at his best in 2009, and perhaps had the best year a CB has ever had, we went 9-7.  They don't have the kind of impact to justify the money he's paid.

The Bucs are 0-6 for a multitude of reasons, yes, but it also shows you that Revis can't make an impact on that team.  We made the right decision and the Bucs are stupid.

The $16 million a year we'd be paying Revis would be money we wouldn't be able to use to re-sign guys like Mo Wilkerson down the road.  Or pay our franchise QB, whether that's Geno Smith or someone else.  You simply don't pay a CB that kind of money.  Even when Revis was at his best in 2009, and perhaps had the best year a CB has ever had, we went 9-7.  They don't have the kind of impact to justify the money he's paid.

The Bucs are 0-6 for a multitude of reasons, yes, but it also shows you that Revis can't make an impact on that team.  We made the right decision and the Bucs are stupid.

I had no agenda. I'm GLAD we're not paying Revis that kind of money. I was focusing on someone else's post itself. Because it's just not logical. Maybe you should stick to responding to responses of your own posts?

Yup.  And I love that the spin lately from some around here is that he kind of just fell into Geno.  How many people here were demanding we draft a WR or TE at that spot and wait for the 2014 draft to get a QB?

I don't know.... zero?

It was pretty clear that the Jets were drafting Geno if he was still on the board with their pick. The Eagles could've easily taken him at the top of the second round, or any other QB-needy team could've traded ahead of the Jets for him (a la Tavon), but that didn't happen. Idzik was fortunate that Geno was still there in the second round, and there's nothing wrong with a little good fortune. He made the determination that it wasn't worth it to trade up for the player, and it paid off. He gets credit, and he got a little lucky, too. And that's okay.

I don't know.... zero?

It was pretty clear that the Jets were drafting Geno if he was still on the board with their pick. The Eagles could've easily taken him at the top of the second round, or any other QB-needy team could've traded ahead of the Jets for him (a la Tavon), but that didn't happen. Idzik was fortunate that Geno was still there in the second round, and there's nothing wrong with a little good fortune. He made the determination that it wasn't worth it to trade up for the player, and it paid off. He gets credit, and he got a little lucky, too. And that's okay.

That asinine logic can be applied to every single player drafted after #1 overall, which is why anyone trying to use it as grounds to criticize a pick or the GM who made it is an idiot.  Not to say you fall into that category, but there are certainly posters around here who do.

Wow I can't believe what I am reading on this thread...some of you are so full of sh*t its unbelievable. At best it was 50/50 on who thought picking Geno even at that point was a good pick.

Its like the NY media in this thread. Everyone backtracking and now saying that Idzik got lucky he was there? Lmao. Bullsh*t. Nobody wanted Geno, thats why he fell and theres nothing more to it. All these NFL scouts and GMs bought into the garbage that people were making up about this kid. Clearly none of it was true either, ALL of it has been proven wrong in only 7 games. Bad leader? Bad attitude? No work ethic? All you heard was bad sh*t about this kid. Idzik believed in him and gave him a shot and its working out well so far. Taking anything away from Idzik with this pick is just ridiculous.

That asinine logic can be applied to every single player drafted after #1 overall, which is why anyone trying to use it as grounds to criticize a pick or the GM who made it is an idiot.  Not to say you fall into that category, but there are certainly posters around here who do.

I'm not criticizing the GM at all here. He had stones to stick with his original pick, and it paid off big time when he landed his guy. Kudos, seriously. But we're talking about a player who was generally considered as the consensus top QB in the draft falling towards the middle of the second round. That's quite a fall. Teams have the whole night off now between the first and second rounds to make deals, a lot of time for every QB hungry team in the league to set up a trade ahead of the Jets (who were obviously QB starved), but that didn't happen. There was a little luck involved there, too, and that's 100% okay. It's not a knock on anyone.

I wonder what Idzik's backup plan was. There was talk before the draft that the Jets were showing a lot of interest in Zac Dysert...

I'm not criticizing the GM at all here. He had stones to stick with his original pick, and it paid off big time when he landed his guy. Kudos, seriously. But we're talking about a player who was generally considered as the consensus top QB in the draft falling towards the middle of the second round. That's quite a fall. Teams have the whole night off now between the first and second rounds to make deals, a lot of time for every QB hungry team in the league to set up a trade ahead of the Jets (who were obviously QB starved), but that didn't happen. There was a little luck involved there, too, and that's 100% okay. It's not a knock on anyone.

I wonder what Idzik's backup plan was. There was talk before the draft that the Jets were showing a lot of interest in Zac Dysert...

The thing is all this talk is being done by internet, buffoons, and beat writers who know nothing about college football, and ape what the internet buffoons say.

The teams spend millions scouting these players.  Some times they hit, and sometimes they miss.  I don't think Idzik ever planned to take Smith, he fell to the Jets at 39, was best player on the board, just like every other player they took.   

It may turn out to be the steal of the draft, or they may be taking a QB early again next year.   It's week 7

I don't disagree with what you have said, but team's interest before the draft rarely has any bearing on their actual picks.  Year after year there are guys they meeting with and work out that they promptly ignore even if they fall.

The article states he's typically only used on 1st and 3rd downs.  Is that accurate?  I don't remember seeing Ellis at all against the Patriots. 

I actually checked it out after reading this and was surprised to see how low Harrison's snap count was this week (15 defensive snaps out of 75).  Ellis, on the other hand, hardly played at all (1 defensive snap).  Of course that could be somewhat explained / offset by Jets focusing more on pass defense and each of Wilkerson (74 defensive snaps), Richardson (71 snaps) and Coples (74 snaps) hardly leaving the field.

Archived