The Dolphins have a serious bullying problem?

Klecko73isGod

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He had Rob Turner pick a fight with Gholston to toughen him up on camera. If Gholston wanted to call an attorney today he could technically. Gholston probably understands how locker rooms operate however, something this board just doesnt I guess. Incognito never laid his hands on Martin from what we know.

Football is a brotherhood, like it or not, and trust is the biggest component of it. The Dolphin players allowed Incognito to use the N word because they trusted him. When your risking basically your life every week the other guys dont give a crap what race you are. Martin could just never assimilate and he knew it. Football locker rooms are separated by balls and toughness, not race.

Words hurt too you know. 

Please don't be that Mod. The stupidity is so close to boiling over the top on this one.

I do not want to lock this thread. Everyone has been pretty reasonable. But people not respecting each others race or religion have cost us numerous good posters.  So far so good though.

Uhhhh what?

I almost remember Rex having someone go after Gholston is practice but I guess Vernon kept it to himself when they attacked him with racial slurs and demanded money from him. Gholston is a stand up guy?

I bought the Hard Knocks season on DVD. In the deleted scenes Robert Turner burned a cross on his lawn and demanded he sign over power of attorney. Typical team building shenanigans

I dont get why we cant grasp the concept of locker room vs real life?

Stop it.  I played football all the way from pee wee (never that small) to college.  I actually had one of my eye brows shaved as a freshman and forced to ask people walking by if they saw it anywhere.  LOL  I never once felt threatened or at risk. Quite the opposite.  They did it and we became a team thru the process.  I get it.  At some point you have to realize it's not going to work for someone and let it go.

Stop it.  I played football all the way from pee wee (never that small) to college.  I actually had one of my eye brows shaved as a freshman and forced to ask people walking by if they saw it anywhere.  LOL  I never once felt threatened or at risk. Quite the opposite.  They did it and we became a team thru the process.  I get it.  At some point you have to realize it's not going to work for someone and let it go.

From what were learning- the entire team never believed they were putting Martin at risk. Martin was participating in the same pranks the others were.

I suppose the Dolphins players and coaches need to be psychologists too?

Dolphins silence in the wake of Incognito report speaks volumes

Posted by Mike Florio on November 6, 2013, 2:32 PM EST

Richie Incognito

AP

With so many voices offering so many opinions regarding the Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito situation in Miami, it’s easy to lose track of certain key facts.

Fact:  The South Florida Sun-Sentinel has reported that Dolphins coaches asked Incognito to “toughen up” Martin.

Fact:  In response to that report, the Dolphins have said nothing.

Well, the Dolphins haven’t said nothing.  They’ve said they’ve got nothing to say.

“Because of the NFL review, we are not in a position to comment on any aspects of this matter,” the team said in a statement issued to PFT.

On the surface, it makes sense.  Scratching that surface a bit, however, it doesn’t.

If the report isn’t true, why not say so?  Loudly.  Surely, a denial of the report won’t compromise or undermine the NFL’s investigation.  Even more surely, the NFL would allow the Dolphins to issue a simple and perfunctory denial.

Absent a denial, it’s fair to conclude that the report is accurate.  Which also means the Dolphins have more pressing problems than crafting a press release aimed at denying something they ultimately can’t deny.

You can't be this dense...well maybe you can.

I was creating an extreme example as a joke. You're the one who doesn't seem to understand that there's a difference between tying a guy to a goal post and douching him with water. or makinh him get bagels for practice and harassing and exctoring a second year player who clearly doesn't respond to abuse.

I was creating an extreme example as a joke. You're the one who doesn't seem to understand that there's a difference between tying a guy to a goal post and douching him with water. or getting bagels for practice and harassing and exctoring a second year player who doesn't clearly doesn't respond to abuse.

Not for nothing but I doubt Incognito has a degree in psychology. This is more about Martin not being able to assimilate and the coaching staff picking the wrong guy to "toughen him up."  We dont even know how this guy was abused other than the players leaving him at the lunch table....something he participated in himself earlier in the year.

From what were learning- the entire team never believed they were putting Martin at risk. Martin was participating in the same pranks the others were.

I'm not a psychologist. You ever play sports? You know who the guys are that can't handle it and there's always the one a$$hole who takes sh*t too far. That's what happened here.

I'm not a psychologist. You ever play sports? You know who the guys are that can't handle it and there's always the one a$$hole who takes sh*t too far. That's what happened here.

And that happens in every locker room. 

Martin just decided to keep record of it and hire attorneys.

That was one of the things I was going to mention.  They shaved a teammates eyebrow and it never grew back right.  I'd rather have that fat **** ask me for money and threaten me. 

The Italians were pretty brutal about it, but it was all done on single (long) bus trip back from a road game.  Guys were beaten with the belt from football pants.  Forced to wear short shorts and half shirts and give pre flight instructions like stewardesses complete with dirty cup as oxygen mask.  A few were stripped and TPed somehow.  After each guy got his they would sing some song "Uno di noi!"  (one of us) with the guys name.  I escaped it mainly through age.  They figured I had been through it enough. At the rest stop a bunch of guys went to get coffee without getting dressed, one completely toilet papered simply lit up a smoke like he wasn't flammable.  Another kid took his shirt off at the Tuesday practice and was completely welted.  The guys who whipped him were shocked.  The kid never complained. It's not right, but it is what happens. 

That was one of the things I was going to mention.  They shaved a teammates eyebrow and it never grew back right.  I'd rather have that fat **** ask me for money and threaten me. 

The Italians were pretty brutal about it, but it was all done on single (long) bus trip back from a road game.  Guys were beaten with the belt from football pants.  Forced to wear short shorts and half shirts and give pre flight instructions like stewardesses complete with dirty cup as oxygen mask.  A few were stripped and TPed somehow.  After each guy got his they would sing some song "Uno di noi!"  (one of us) with the guys name.  I escaped it mainly through age.  They figured I had been through it enough. At the rest stop a bunch of guys went to get coffee without getting dressed, one completely toilet papered simply lit up a smoke like he wasn't flammable.  Another kid took his shirt off at the Tuesday practice and was completely welted.  The guys who whipped him were shocked.  The kid never complained. It's not right, but it is what happens. 

Yeah this is bad hazing and basically criminal. 

With the info surfacing it's looking more and more like Incognito's being used as the scapegoat here and Philbin's the one that's really to blame.

Scapegoat my hairy ass.  Philbin may have asked/told Incognito to do it, but Richie didn't have to, or didn't have to go as far as he did.  Philbin is definitely culpable if he asked Incognito, and because he's the HC, he's held (or should be) to a higher degree of scrutiny (and punishment), particularly if he knew about Martin's supposed suicide attempts and mental instability.  Incognito could have said no is the bottom line, and he needs to pay for what he did.

Scapegoat my hairy ass.  Philbin may have asked/told Incognito to do it, but Richie didn't have to, or didn't have to go as far as he did.  Philbin is definitely culpable if he asked Incognito, and because he's the HC, he's held (or should be) to a higher degree of scrutiny (and punishment), particularly if he knew about Martin's supposed suicide attempts and mental instability.  Incognito could have said no is the bottom line, and he needs to pay for what he did.

Martin never approached or told anyone within the Dolphins organization he felt threatened. The first anyone had heard of this is after he left the team.

What Philbin did is common practice among coaches. When the coaches feel they cant get through to a player, they ask a teammate to do it. His mistake was asking Incognito.

And that happens in every locker room.

Martin just decided to keep record of it and hire attorneys.

I'm not saying he won't sue but where are you getting this sh*t from? You keep saying he's doing this to sue like it's a fact. Like he worked his way through Stanford and into the second round of the draft knowing a sociopath would be waiting from him so he could have an incredibly public mental breakdown and sue. If this is all some huge plan years in the making he probably deserves the money.

You don;t have to be a psychologist to realize a guy that has threatened to kill himself a few times might be a bad candidate for bullying into shape.  "Paging EY, Paging EY"

I'm not saying he won't sue but where are you getting this sh*t from? You keep saying he's doing this to sue like it's a fact. Like he worked his way through Stanford and into the second round of the draft knowing a sociopath would be waiting from him so he could have an incredibly public mental breakdown and sue. If this is all some huge plan years in the making he probably deserves the money.

I think its fairly obvious where this is going. Martin had saved the Incognito voicemail from April- and left the team abruptly after being benched.

My guess is he knew he wasnt cut out for the locker room and lost it after losing his job knowing he could fall back on blaming teammates. The kid comes from what seems to be a pretty shelteredbackground and coincidentally has two attorney parents. Incognito grew up in a trailer park.

That's my guess on the matter.

Lucky for me having a mustache before 8th grade worked in my favor in the eyebrow department. 

You don;t have to be a psychologist to realize a guy that has threatened to kill himself a few times might be a bad candidate for bullying into shape.  "Paging EY, Paging EY"

Where are you getting this from? Since when was Martin suicidal? You think the Dolphins would allow a potential suicide case to be around?

Football is a brotherhood, like it or not, and trust is the biggest component of it. The Dolphin players allowed Incognito to use the N word because they trusted him. When your risking basically your life every week the other guys dont give a crap what race you are. Martin could just never assimilate and he knew it. Football locker rooms are separated by balls and toughness, not race.

ah, yes. another component of the problem. guys need to stop with this. football is rough/tough/intense etc... but it's not actually Vietnam.

I love football, but at the end of the day it's a job, one which is well paid, not a tour of duty in Afghanistan. guys especially need to take a step back and realize this.

Teammates support Richie Incognito

Updated: November 6, 2013, 2:58 PM ET

ESPN.com news services

Incognito Speaks

Multiple members of the Miami Dolphins recently told ESPN that they do not believe suspended offensive lineman Richie Incognito is a racist.

The NFL currently is investigating the troubled relationship between Incognito and teammate Jonathan Martin, who left the Dolphins last week because of emotional issues stemming from alleged harassment and misconduct.

Incognito, who was suspended Sunday by the Dolphins for conduct detrimental for the team, has been identified as making racial slurs and physical threats toward Martin, who is biracial, in a voice mail message sent this past April.

But despite the derogatory and racially charged language in Incognito's voice mail, Dolphins center Mike Pouncey and star wide receiver Mike Wallace both told ESPN's Cris Carter that they want Incognito back on the team.

Carter recounted his conversations with Pouncey and Wallace during an interview Wednesday on "SportsCenter," claiming that both players "respect" and "love" Incognito.

Pouncey, who has been teammates with Incognito for parts of three seasons, and Wallace, in his first year with the Dolphins, told Carter that they do not believe Incognito is a racist.

Pouncey and Wallace also told Carter that they feel comfortable with Incognito as a teammate, saying they feel he is not getting a fair defense in what has become a national controversy.

Conversely, three people who know Martin and have spoken to him told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the second-year offensive tackle wants to continue playing football and has never discussed leaving the sport based on simply playing the game.

Sources confirmed to ESPN on Monday that Incognito used racial epithets and profane language toward Martin on multiple occasions. In a transcript of the voice mail message from April, Incognito referred to Martin as a "half n----- piece of s---."

The Sun Sentinel, citing at least two sources, reported Tuesday that Dolphins coaches asked Incognito to toughen Martin up this past spring, after Martin missed a voluntary team workout. The sources told the Sun Sentinel that Incognito took the request too far.

Miami's situation appears to be a systemic failure, with the older men at the top failing to police the younger men below, Tim Keown writes. Story

Pouncey told Carter, however, that he was never instructed by coaches to toughen up Martin.

Incognito, in his first public comments since the suspension, told WSVN Channel 7 on Tuesday that he is "trying to weather the storm."

"You know what, I'm just trying to weather the storm right now," Incognito told the TV station. "This will pass."

It's unclear whether Dolphins coaches or management knew of any harassment between the players before Martin left the team. Recent talk of dissension in the locker room has included complaints by young players that they're pressured to pay more than their share when team members socialize together.

The Miami Herald reported Monday that the Dolphins plan to cut ties with Incognito. The Dolphins did not place Martin on the non-football injury list Tuesday, meaning he will remain on the active roster and be paid this week, a source told Schefter.

Dolphins coach Joe Philbin became somewhat emotional while addressing the media Monday, taking the blame for the environment that was created in his locker room.

Several other Dolphins players have said they were unaware of any issues between Martin and Incognito.

"I never heard anything about it until now," said linebacker Dannell Ellerbe, who was a member of Miami's six-player leadership council along with Incognito.

Ellerbe also indicated that Martin should have informed the leadership council of his problems.

"We don't have no problem with [coming forward]," Ellerbe said. "We would try to handle it the best way possible. We would rather that [happen] than this."

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter and ESPN.com Dolphins reporter James Walker was used in this report.

Where are you getting this from? Since when was Martin suicidal? You think the Dolphins would allow a potential suicide case to be around?

Go down a bit.  It's Cognito's Dad who said it on a Dolphins forum LOL.  Right across from were it says "REAL MEN GET HELP"

LOL

http://deadspin.com/is-richie-incognitos-dad-blasting-jonathan-martin-on-m-1457997230

ah, yes. another component of the problem. guys need to stop with this. football is rough/tough/intense etc... but it's not actually Vietnam.

I love football, but at the end of the day it's a job, one which is well paid, not a tour of duty in Afghanistan. guys especially need to take a step back and realize this.

That's how these athletes see it though, especially football. The football locker room is different from the other major sports as well and always has been.

This is a joke, suspend an honest player for a drug addict and a player that tried to kill himself three times. Complete ****in utter BS and this team is just covering their ass. What a friggin joke. Strange only coments are from Zuckerman and not Martin himself. Irleand and Philbin should be ashamed of themselves, this is a ****in joke. Suspend a pro bowl player for a player that does not even belong in the NFL. FUKIN JOKE its all going to come out in the wash and Ireland should be ****in hung because he , philbin and everyone else knew Martin did drugs and attempted suicide three times. But hey, the regular people will never hear that right ? ****IN JOKE FOLKS, ****IN JOKE.

Here ya go.  YIKES!!!

Go down a bit.  It's Cognito's Dad who said it on a Dolphins forum LOL.  Right across from were it says "REAL MEN GET HELP"

LOL

http://deadspin.com/is-richie-incognitos-dad-blasting-jonathan-martin-on-m-1457997230

If the Miami Dolphins knew Jonathan Martin was suicidal prior to him leaving the team- then they deserve every thing they get. That's Sandusky like.

That's how these athletes see it though, especially football. The football locker room is different from the other major sports as well and always has been.

yes, but then maybe that is a problem with the football locker room, and not with society in general, and they should accept our standards of behavior and conduct, not the other way around.

Archived