The Dolphins have a serious bullying problem?

Klecko73isGod

Homer aside, I don't think there's any way Rex would let the vets do that sh*t to the rooks and Martin. That's as much on all the dolphins' coaches as it is on their douchebag players.

Two years ago on HBO's Hard Knocks Jets players tied a rookie to the goalpost. and sprayed him with shaving cream and water and Gatorade. Naw, Rex would NEVER ALLOW such things to go on. What Incognito did in his text was wrong, but Martin's response was worse. By NOT challenging Incognito, Martin only invited more of the same. Sometimes a man just has to stand up for something, or he will fall for anything.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.  I'm above that.  Shane has threatened me multiple times.  But the difference is, I've never met Shane.  Dont want to and never plan on it. Therefore, his threats dont bother me.  Now, if I worked with Shane and saw him on a daily basis and he knew my name, had my phone #, knew where I live, my family, etc., then yes, I'd probably be a little worried that some psycho who has threatened my multiple times might actually act on those threats.

Big difference between threatening some dude on the interwebz you'll never see and threatening a co-worker you see daily.

Oh sh*t! Was I not supposed to give Tom Shane that info? Oops, my bad. 

Two years ago on HBO's Hard Knocks Jets players tied a rookie to the goalpost. and sprayed him with shaving cream and water and Gatorade. Naw, Rex would NEVER ALLOW such things to go on. What Incognito did in his text was wrong, but Martin's response was worse. By NOT challenging Incognito, Martin only invited more of the same. Sometimes a man just has to stand up for something, or he will fall for anything.

For all the people saying Martin should have punched Ingcognito... that may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. 

These are still adults and in the adult world, punching someone in the face for picking on you is more frowned upon than picking on someone is.

Not to mention, from what I've seen, while Incognito was clearly Martin's main tormentor, Mike Pouncey is Incognito's butt buddy and this is a guy who is being questioned in connection to a gun running ring with Aaron Hernandez and has been defiant about wearing a "Free Hernandez" hat to a nightclub right after the arrest. 

it's actually not verified I edited it out of my original post. That was something from the dad at finheaven thread. I don't think Jon Martin's psychiatric history has ever officially entered into the public record.

who is his dad at finheaven?

Then you have pictures of Martin and Incognito sitting together on a plane yucking it up.  Incognito has always had the rep of being a screw ball, so as an individual it's hard to defend him, and that's why he makes such an easy target.

If these death threats were real, I just don't think he would would be putting them on recording.  IMO think he was busting the guys chops (In a stupid and crude manner)   but don't think they were intended as true death threats.  Comments from team mates seem to back this up.

It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  Clearly there were more players involved in this, and the extortion end of it according to articles posted, is league wide.  Several articles about rookies being shamed/forced into picking up $20,000, tabs.

Is the NFL going to go crazy and do a Saints type percussion of the Fish? (That would be cool)  Is Vernon Gholston going to sue the Jets, and Rex Ryan, for sending a very loosely wrapped fringe player out to beat him up?  

Ordering a player to break league rules and beat up another player to see if he will fight is also a felony in real life.

A lot of things here to worry the NFL.  They are in super protection mode from lawsuits 

What's the bolded portion about?  I never heard anything about that.

No. I'm above that. Shane has threatened me multiple times. But the difference is, I've never met Shane. Dont want to and never plan on it. Therefore, his threats dont bother me. Now, if I worked with Shane and saw him on a daily basis and he knew my name, had my phone #, knew where I live, my family, etc., then yes, I'd probably be a little worried that some psycho who has threatened my multiple times might actually act on those threats.

Big difference between threatening some dude on the interwebz you'll never see and threatening a co-worker you see daily.

I know where you live, faggot.

The voicemail is now circulating(not sure if real) but Incognito sounds half hay seed retarded and was clearly joking.

He sounds like Chris Farley. Objectively, sure, it seems silly to get worked up about, but you have to know your target. I work with a bunch of jackholes whom I constantly berate and vice-versa. Occasionally, you get the emo wimp who can't keep it in context and loses it. Some people, you have to let be.

The voicemail is now circulating(not sure if real) but Incognito sounds half hay seed retarded and was clearly joking.

He sounds like Chris Farley. Objectively, sure, it seems silly to get worked up about, but you have to know your target. I work with a bunch of jackholes whom I constantly berate and vice-versa. Occasionally, you get the emo wimp who can't keep it in context and loses it. Some people, you have to let be.

Of course. Incognito is a dummy. He dug his own hole here...how athletes still have twitter baffles me.

bottom line is that it's a work environment and nobody should have to put up with that kind of BS in their work place. it wasn't like they shaved his head or tied him to a goal post and left him there overnight. this was obviously going on for long enough for Martin to lose it. Incognito is a scumbag that everyone knows about. he deserves this.

bottom line is that it's a work environment and nobody should have to put up with that kind of BS in their work place. it wasn't like they shaved his head or tied him to a goal post and left him there overnight. this was obviously going on for long enough for Martin to lose it. Incognito is a scumbag that everyone knows about. he deserves this.

I have often tolerated nasty and threatening e-mails, texts and phone messages in my workplace, but I would not be tolerating having my head shaved or being tied up outside overnight.  I'm not sure where you work...

I have often tolerated nasty and threatening e-mails, texts and phone messages in my workplace, but I would not be tolerating having my head shaved or being tied up outside overnight.  I'm not sure where you work...

Im the same way. i can easily ignore phone calls, text messages and emails with relative ease. Physical abuse would be ten times worse because you cannot possible ignore it. 

I have often tolerated nasty and threatening e-mails, texts and phone messages in my workplace, but I would not be tolerating having my head shaved or being tied up outside overnight. I'm not sure where you work...

in terms of "rookie" hazing, which is stupid but can be harmless, shaving someone's head or tying someone up for awhile isn't the end of the world. repeated abuse via texts, phone calls, etc... and threatening someone's life? extortion? that's not "good fun," that's harassment.

in terms of "rookie" hazing, which is stupid but can be harmless, shaving someone's head or tying someone up for awhile isn't the end of the world. repeated abuse via texts, phone calls, etc... and threatening someone's life? extortion? that's not "good fun," that's harassment.

If there were repeated texts/phone calls etc dont you think they would have been released with the one VM?  One is too many but if RI is the dumbass jokester that his teammates claim, this could have been an inside joke taken out of context no matter how unfunny it seems to us.  This whole situation is just terrible, puts the whole of NFL lockerrooms in a bad light. These guys risk their health out there for our fandom(and a paycheck) every weekend.  Not many of us have that kind of work environment outside of Armed Forces, Firefighters and Law Enforcement.  They have a pretty strong brotherhood. 

on my sports team id much rather have my head shaved then get nasty/threatening emails

go back and watch "hard knocks" Rob Turner was told to start a fight w/ Gholston.

Thanks.  Oh yeah, now that you mention that, it does sound vaguely familiar.  I never saw Hard Knocks.  I'll see if I can find it somewhere.  Thanks again.

I don't think that people ought to have to put up with any kind of hazing or harassment in their work place, school or anywhere.  What one person sees as a joke, someone else can take very seriously.  What one sees as innocent teasing, someone else perceives as harassment or bullying.  Look at how many teenagers in recent years have killed themselves because of bullying and harassment at school and on the internet.  I think we will soon see severe penalties in all 50 states for any of this kind of thing. Just a couple of years ago a band member at Florida A&M died in a hazing incident.  That kind of thing should seemingly have been more in the forefront of people's consciousness in Florida.

Our society and culture has changed.  Much that was once laughed off and ignored is now taken very seriously (see drunk driving, frat hazing, etc.). While I do think on one hand that we all can be too sensitive at times, and need the ability to laugh at ourselves, a lot of things that may start out in innocent fun have a way of snowballing and someone winds up getting hurt.  I remember when I was young some young men having to be rushed into emergency surgery and some even dying from ruptured appendixes as a result of receiving "pink bellies" from hazing "friends", frat members, or classmates.

If the charges are true about the extortion, that's totally unacceptable imo.  Incognito and the others ought to have to pay those rookies back fully with interest.  If he made death threats, he should face serious consequences.  If anyone thinks that kind of thing is a joke, try saying in public that you plan on killing a public official, be it at the city, state or federal level, and see how funny law enforcement thinks it is even if you laugh when you say it.

Richie Incognito will get another chance, according to ex-NFL GM

on November 05, 2013 at 2:46 PM, updated November 05, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Accused NFL bully Richie Incognito shouldn't start filling out those retirement papers yet, one former NFL executive told NJ.com Tuesday. That's because teams routinely need offensive line help. After all, look at the Giants: They need offensive line help.

It’s this shortage that will keep the embattled Dolphins offensive lineman in the league, according to the ex-general manager, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue.

“They’ll probably wait until next season and see where the league comes down on things. But I’m sure he’ll get another opportunity,” he said. “Part of it has to be there has to be an adequate amount of time and space.”

Miami indefinitely suspended Incognito, a New Jersey native, earlier this week for inappropriate conduct toward fellow offensive lineman Jonathan Martin. Incognito -- it has been alleged -- hazed, bullied and intimidated the younger Martin.

It’s not Incognito’s first run-in with trouble, either. That’s why another NFL personnel executive said “it’s going to be tough for him” to get another job. He did not, however, completely rule out the possibility.

Right now, Incognito is toxic. The belief is that it will take time before the initial wave of outrage fades for teams to even entertain the possibility of signing him. How the whole situation unfolds (time and length of suspension, potential counseling, degree of contrition) will factor into the equation.

But, as usual, talent will likely win out in the end, the former team exec said.

“He’s a good player. He’s not an elite player by any stretch, but he’s a quality, starting NFL player,” the ex-GM said. “There are not enough of them, so he’ll get a chance.

“Our system is set up that way. The fact that he is a good player it gives him another layer, another benefit of the doubt.”

Giants' Antrel Rolle says Jonathan Martin is part to blame for his bullying

Dave Hutchinson/The Star Ledger By Dave Hutchinson/The Star Ledger

on November 05, 2013 at 12:54 PM, updated November 05, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Giants safety Antrel Rolle placed some of the blame for the ugly hazing and bulling incident with the Miami Dolphins that has gripped the league on who many feel is the victim: Jonathan Martin.

Dolphins guard Richie Incognito has been suspended indefinitely for hazing and bullying Martin, forcing him to pay $15,000 for a trip to Las Vegas he didn’t go on and sending him racially-charged and expletive-filled text messages and voice mails.

“Was Richie Incognito wrong? Absolutely,” Rolle said on his weekly radio spot on WFAN when asked how he would handle the situation if a teammate tried to shake him down for $15,000 under the disguise of hazing. "But I think the other guy (Martin) is as much to blame as Richie because he has allowed it to happen.

“At this level, you’re a man. You’re not a little boy. You’re not a freshman in college. You’re a man. I think everything has its limits. There’s no way another man is gong to make me pay for something that I don’t want to pay for.”

The Giants said they had no comment when informed of Rolle's remarks.

the fin heaven thread apparently has incognito's dad trying to defend his son by saying, and I kid you not, "he's a druggie who has tried to kill himself 3 times"

I have no idea if this is true, it's just the innernets after all, but it did make it to dead spin

so how does that make it better dad ?  your son is preying on an instable person with suicidal tendencies.  that doesn't make it better, if you believe he has actually tried to kill himself and you are taking advantage of it, it makes you garbage

garbage

the fin heaven thread apparently has incognito's dad trying to defend his son by saying, and I kid you not, "he's a druggie who has tried to kill himself 3 times"

I have no idea if this is true, it's just the innernets after all, but it did make it to dead spin

so how does that make it better dad ?  your son is preying on an instable person with suicidal tendencies.  that doesn't make it better, if you believe he has actually tried to kill himself and you are taking advantage of it, it makes you garbage

garbage

Wait...so I'm confused, is Incognito's father saying that Richie is a druggie and tried to kill himself 3x or is he saying that about Martin?

Wait...so I'm confused, is Incognito's father saying that Richie is a druggie and tried to kill himself 3x or is he saying that about Martin?

sorry, should have explained it better.  I don't know how they figured out how was his dad, but deadspin has it

http://www.ibtimes.com/richie-incognitos-dad-posting-dolphins-message-board-finheaven-user-idrd1994-accuses-jonathan-martin

Martin

It's the only place that has appeared

Thanks.  Whoa.  If that's true (both about Martin) and that Incognito's father said that, Incognito and his father (as could the Dolphins) could get in a lot of trouble for publicizing what should be very private info.

Seriously, the more I hear about this and people commenting on it makes me sad. Everyone is quick to judge and call Martin a pussy, wimp or whatever but some people have mental issues and aren't built for confrontation. It seems like the guy did everything to make the organization aware of the problem and it continued. 

What would've happened if Martin came into the facility and started killing people? The same people calling him a wimp and a punk would've been shocked and say 'how can this happen'

The guy walked away from a million dollar job, something is wrong and the guy probably has some mental health issues, but to call him a punk and wuss is just bad all around. I don't get the 'blame the victim' mentally. This goes beyond hazing IMO.

Richie is a known scumbag, voted the dirtiest player twice but to hear the Phins players come to his defense is a shame. 

we are talking about hazing etc

the military for example doesn't allow it. They have a policy for it. Almost every other workplace and institution has explicit policies against the practice. the team suspended him under "conduct unbecoming" but they can't say Incognito violated the league's hazing policy cause there is none. 

i've said this before but I'll repeat myself strictly speaking hazing is a short term practice. You haze the freshmen and they become sophomores. One day they are seniors and the cycle begins anew. Even a pro hazing, anti PC, violence nut has to admit that Incognito wasn't hazing. He was harassing a co-worker, beyond a normal hazing period. Martin is fellow starter on that offensive line. These guys were supposed to be united, blocking for the same purpose. All that moralistic crap aside, what Incognito did was flat out bad for the football team. a line is built on trust and cohesion. there's no reason to call a guy in the offeseason and harass him. That is assholish even by hazing standards and it was conduct detrimental to the team. 

The Fins OL was already one of the worst in the league, before the McKinnie trade, and they are still pretty awful (I have them at 5th worst, or 27 overall, even before this mess). I haven't crunched the numbers but losing two starters like this and the whole situation probably puts them at dead last. Considering how beastly the Jets DL is playing, really good news for a team that has to play them twice in seven games. that being said if Incognito is half the cancer he sounds like they could actually get better. 

The guy walked away from a million dollar job, something is wrong and the guy probably has some mental health issues, but to call him a punk and wuss is just bad all around. I don't get the 'blame the victim' mentally. This goes beyond hazing IMO. 

great post and the whole mental health aspect is ridiculous. Arguably a guy with a degree from Stanford can find other ways to make money. The team saying Martin was sick or mentally ill, he probably can sue them for a half dozen different things. If it's true the illness was brought upon by another co-worker. depending on how litigious he feels, Jon Martin might not need to play football anymore. 

Archived