Jets' Players Want Rex Extended

flgreen

Through 7 weeks 69% of games in the 4th quarter were within 7 points-most in league history.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-25/nfl-point-spreads-soar-while-number-of-close-games-sets-a-record.html

Truthfully, that just makes what the Jets have done this season even more impressive.  A team with 11 news starter, 5 rookies, 1 of which being your QB...pulling off close game is damn impressive.  Give credit to whoever you feel necessary but someone is doing something right to win close games with a rookie QB and an extremely young and inexperienced team. 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's make a deal.  Don't judge this team like we have a top-25 roster.

Even some of the "name" players are playing mostly crappy (excuse me - "inconsistent") this year.  D'Brick, Mangold, Milliner (has been bad even for a rookie) and especially Cromartie.  

That said, the only one who I think has earned an extension after the first 9 games is Andy Reid (who's only 9 games into his contract).

Roster certainly needs to improve...but the players chirping that we need to extend Rex when we havent had one winning streak yet is pretty funny. You want the coach here? Go beat the Bills.

Truthfully, that just makes what the Jets have done this season even more impressive.  A team with 11 news starter, 5 rookies, 1 of which being your QB...pulling off close game is damn impressive.  Give credit to whoever you feel necessary but someone is doing something right to win close games with a rookie QB and an extremely young and inexperienced team. 

I never said to take credit away from anyone-I just said there is more parity in this league, and the talent is not as uneven as it has been in the past. The results prove that out. 

Through 7 weeks 69% of games in the 4th quarter were within 7 points-most in league history.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-10-25/nfl-point-spreads-soar-while-number-of-close-games-sets-a-record.html

Point spreads are based on public perception, as the article alludes to, rather than actual talent discrepancies.  

This is your way of rationalizing that Rex still isn't doing a good job.  My proof? You're using point spreads as your basis of this very best vs. very worst parity.

Meanwhile, the biggest point spread in the history of the NFL was just last month, and you still claim the gap between the best and worst teams has never been closer.

#agenda

Point spreads are based on public perception, as the article alludes to, rather than actual talent discrepancies.  

This is your way of rationalizing that Rex still isn't doing a good job.  My proof? You're using point spreads as your basis of this very best vs. very worst parity.

Meanwhile, the biggest point spread in the history of the NFL was just last month, and you still claim the gap between the best and worst teams has never been closer.

#agenda

Guess you didn't read the part of tight games in 4th quarter being at an historic high. Not sure how that equates to point spreads.

#blackoutreadingcomprehension

And then you use as a point there have been larger points spreads to diffuse my claim, while admitting that pointspreads are "public perception"? that is lame

Seriously Cromartie has stunk up the joint this year- we have a rookie QB making positive plays and terrible plays, our receivers- are a mish mosh of free agents and practice squad pickups. 5 and 4 you have to give Rex credit - just want him to stay easy with his comments - no blowharding- that might be the biggest challenge

Roster certainly needs to improve...but the players chirping that we need to extend Rex when we havent had one winning streak yet is pretty funny. You want the coach here? Go beat the Bills.

What does one thing have to do with the other.  Bad teams are not going to be consistent winners.  We have a bad team.  Actually a WORSE team today than when we were picked #32.  Back then people expected above average production from our corners and they've arguably been the weakest group on the team.  The only competing group is the receivers and half our already-crappy WRs/TEs are or have been injured.  

Even the best HC or OC or QBC can't predict when a rookie QB is going to let loose one of his rookie blunder throws.  And with this kid, some of his best throws have been under full frontal pressure.  So if you eliminate his throwing too much you're going to lose about as many good plays as bad ones.  Impossible to guess when they're going to come and that's why everyone's hero, Parcells, used to say (on top of your expected # of wins) you chalk up one additional loss for every rookie starter.  I'd imagine he wouldn't put up a fight if someone suggested that goes double or triple when the rookie is a raw QB.

I think 5-4 is an excellent job.  Not handing out any extensions for going 5-4 if I'm a GM, but it's an excellent job anyway.

Guess you didn't read the part of tight games in 4th quarter being at an historic high. Not sure how that equates to point spreads.

#blackoutreadingcomprehension

And then you use as a point there have been larger points spreads to diffuse my claim, while admitting that pointspreads are "public perception"? that is lame

You linked an article with the title that begins, "NFL Point Spreads Soar [...]"  So silly me, I guess.  My point about the largest point spread was to diffuse even that faulty logic, not as a basis for it, as you well know.

You are the one quoting this article about point spreads as a basis.  There are plenty of teams whose average point differential is in double digits.  Also we're a whopping 9 weeks into a season - not exactly the stuff of significant statistics when most teams still have fully half their games remaining - and the Jets don't play the league at large or the league average; they play the teams they've played.

Worse still, the article only references the first 7 weeks (6 games for many/most teams), and matching it up against other full, 17-week seasons.  Come back to me after week 17 and we'll see if this holds up.

You linked an article with the title that begins, "NFL Point Spreads Soar [...]" So silly me, I guess. My point about the largest point spread was to diffuse even that faulty logic, not as a basis for it, as you well know.

You are the one quoting this article about point spreads as a basis. There are plenty of teams whose average point differential is in double digits. Also we're a whopping 9 weeks into a season - not exactly the stuff of significant statistics when most teams still have fully half their games remaining - and the Jets don't play the league at large or the league average; they play the teams they've played.

Worse still, the article only references the first 7 weeks (6 games for many/most teams), and matching it up against other full, 17-week seasons. Come back to me after week 17 and we'll see if this holds up.

Make it week 18! 19!

In fairness what are the players supposed to say?  The media asks them this stuff and there is really only one answer they can give.

Not sure what that has to do with anything.  If a player likes a coach, then a player likes a coach.  The best coach I ever played for was on the worst team I was ever on. 

You realize this winning 2 games in a row thingy has more to do with the players than Rex, right?  I'm fairly confident, Rex's preparation week to week is consistent.  Its just his young team executing is not.

I never said to take credit away from anyone-I just said there is more parity in this league, and the talent is not as uneven as it has been in the past. The results prove that out. 

Nor did I say you did, just pointing out its an impressive feat for a team predicted to finish dead last who supposedly had a very uneven roster from the best teams in the league (and still do).

Not sure what that has to do with anything.  If a player likes a coach, then a player likes a coach.  The best coach I ever played for was on the worst team I was ever on. 

You realize this winning 2 games in a row thingy has more to do with the players than Rex, right?  I'm fairly confident, Rex's preparation week to week is consistent.  Its just his young team executing is not.

Nor did I say you did, just pointing out its an impressive feat for a team predicted to finish dead last who supposedly had a very uneven roster from the best teams in the league (and still do).

Just saying- we all know the players love Rex. Im not correlating the two, just win two games in a row then you might get your wish. 

You linked an article with the title that begins, "NFL Point Spreads Soar [...]"  So silly me, I guess.  My point about the largest point spread was to diffuse even that faulty logic, not as a basis for it, as you well know.

You are the one quoting this article about point spreads as a basis.  There are plenty of teams whose average point differential is in double digits.  Also we're a whopping 9 weeks into a season - not exactly the stuff of significant statistics when most teams still have fully half their games remaining - and the Jets don't play the league at large or the league average; they play the teams they've played.

Worse still, the article only references the first 7 weeks (6 games for many/most teams), and matching it up against other full, 17-week seasons.  Come back to me after week 17 and we'll see if this holds up.

My synopsis of the article had NOTHING to do a about actual point spreads, and EVERYTHING to do about the mention in the article about TIGHT GAMES at an historic level.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious that pointspreads are public perception. But, I made no mention of point spreads.

OI am sorry that neither I, nor the article have a crystal ball to say whether the trend can continue. I would consider that almost half a season being a basis of comparison somewhat fair though.

My claim is that there is greater parity than any other time I have watched this league-I point to numerous factors

-The cap has flattened in recent years

-The new CBA has limited what teams can do in practices, and it has seemed to have an effect on "excellence" in play

-Injuries are rampant for many teams.

-The league rules encourage parity.

The fact that the first 7 weeks have had more "tight" games in the 4th quarter than any other time in league history seems to be a decent indicator of that.

Are we supposed to suspend talk to all "trends" in the league until after week 17, to see if they hold up?

Way to go Incognito. ;)

Prediction: Jets lose to Bills 14-3

The Bills are a team we should beat.  I'll be upset with Rex if we suffer a setback to them, with 9-10 wins very much in our sights right now.  All of our losses this season have come to teams that were more talented than us.  This would not be the case here.  We've owned the Bills under Rex, and I don't even know who their QB is off the top of my head. 

EDIT:  Jeff Tuel is technically the starter right now with Thad Lewis hurt, but EJ Manuel has been cleared to play this week against Pittsburgh and will possibly start depending on how he looks in practice.  Cool. 

Don't have a dog in this fight about the point spreads, but just happened to run into this old article.  Was very surprised how high the lines are

NFL Week 8 odds: Six teams could face double-digit point spreads

By OddsShark on Oct 22 2013, 11:39a +

158819299.0_standard_709.0.jpg
Chris Graythen

Huge home underdogs are tempting NFL bettors as the opening Week 8 odds were posted Tuesday.

Four teams - including the San Francisco 49ers which will likely open as chalk of two touchdowns or more - face double-digit spreads in Week 8, and two more could join the fun this week.

The New Orleans Saints are laying 13 points at home to the Buffalo Bills, while the Denver Broncos, despite a Week 7 loss, are a 14-point favorite against the Washington Redskins. The Seattle Seahawks are huge 11.5-point road favorites at the St. Louis Rams in the Monday Night contest, while San Francisco is expected to open around -16 versus theJacksonville Jaguars in London.

The Kansas City Chiefs, at 7-0, are the only remaining unbeaten team. They are a nine-point favorite early Tuesday over the strugglingCleveland Browns, and many experts predict that spread will balloon to double digits.

Aaron Ro

dgers and the Green Bay Packers visit the Minnesota Vikingsin a game that remained off the board early Tuesday. The Vikings looked terrible on Monday night against the New York Giants and open as double-digit home dogs.

The week kicks off with another big road favorite. The winless Tampa Bay Buccaneers get seven points at home opposing the Carolina Panthers.

Check out the opening NFL odds for Week 8, courtesy of OddsShark.com:

Carolina (-7) at Tampa Bay, O/U 40 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone OVER in 7 of Carolina's last 9 games when playing on the road against Tampa Bay. The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Tampa Bay's last 6 games at home.

Miami at New England (-7.5), O/U 45.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone OVER in 5 of Miami's last 5 games. New England is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Miami.

Buffalo at New Orleans (-13), O/U 50 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone OVER in 5 of Buffalo's last 6 games. New Orleans is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games.

Dallas at Detroit (-3), O/U 51 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone OVER in 6 of Dallas's last 7 games when playing Detroit. The total has gone OVER in 6 of Detroit's last 7 games at home.

NY Giants at Philadelphia (-5.5), O/U 53.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone UNDER in 11 of the NY Giants last 14 games on the road. Philadelphia is 9-2 SU in their last 11 games when playing NY Giants.

San Francisco (-17) at Jacksonville, O/U 40.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: San Francisco is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games. Jacksonville is 1-7 ATS in its last 8 games.

Cleveland at Kansas City (-9), O/U 39.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Cleveland's last 8 games on the road. Kansas City is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games.

N.Y. Jets at Cincinnati (-7.5), O/U 41 - Matchup Report

Trends: NY Jets are 9-1 SU in their last 10 games when playing Cincinnati. Cincinnati is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games at home.

Pittsburgh (-2.5) at Oakland, O/U 40.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Pittsburgh's last 8 games. The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Oakland's last 5 games at home.

Atlanta at Arizona (-2.5), O/U 44.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone OVER in 5 of Atlanta's last 5 games when playing on the road against Arizona. The total has gone OVER in 5 of Arizona's last 5 games when playing at home against Atlanta.

Washington at Denver (-14), O/U 57.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone OVER in 4 of Washington's last 5 games when playing Denver. The total has gone OVER in 5 of Denver's last 5 games.

Green Bay (-10.5) at Minnesota, O/U 46.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: Green Bay is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing Minnesota. The total has gone OVER in 6 of Minnesota's last 7 games at home.

Seattle (-11.5) at St. Louis, O/U 42 - Matchup Report

Trends: Seattle is 14-2 SU in its last 16 games when playing St. Louis. The total has gone OVER in 7 of St. Louis' last 8 games at home.

Don't have a dog in this fight about the point spreads, but just happened to run into this old article.  Was very surprised how high the lines are

NFL Week 8 odds: Six teams could face double-digit point spreads

By OddsShark on Oct 22 2013, 11:39a +

158819299.0_standard_709.0.jpg
Chris Graythen

Huge home underdogs are tempting NFL bettors as the opening Week 8 odds were posted Tuesday.

Four teams - including the San Francisco 49ers which will likely open as chalk of two touchdowns or more - face double-digit spreads in Week 8, and two more could join the fun this week.

The New Orleans Saints are laying 13 points at home to the Buffalo Bills, while the Denver Broncos, despite a Week 7 loss, are a 14-point favorite against the Washington Redskins. The Seattle Seahawks are huge 11.5-point road favorites at the St. Louis Rams in the Monday Night contest, while San Francisco is expected to open around -16 versus theJacksonville Jaguars in London.

The Kansas City Chiefs, at 7-0, are the only remaining unbeaten team. They are a nine-point favorite early Tuesday over the strugglingCleveland Browns, and many experts predict that spread will balloon to double digits.

Aaron Ro

dgers and the Green Bay Packers visit the Minnesota Vikingsin a game that remained off the board early Tuesday. The Vikings looked terrible on Monday night against the New York Giants and open as double-digit home dogs.

The week kicks off with another big road favorite. The winless Tampa Bay Buccaneers get seven points at home opposing the Carolina Panthers.

Check out the opening NFL odds for Week 8, courtesy of OddsShark.com:

Carolina (-7) at Tampa Bay, O/U 40 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone OVER in 7 of Carolina's last 9 games when playing on the road against Tampa Bay. The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Tampa Bay's last 6 games at home.

Miami at New England (-7.5), O/U 45.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone OVER in 5 of Miami's last 5 games. New England is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games when playing Miami.

Buffalo at New Orleans (-13), O/U 50 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone OVER in 5 of Buffalo's last 6 games. New Orleans is 5-1 SU in its last 6 games.

Dallas at Detroit (-3), O/U 51 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone OVER in 6 of Dallas's last 7 games when playing Detroit. The total has gone OVER in 6 of Detroit's last 7 games at home.

NY Giants at Philadelphia (-5.5), O/U 53.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone UNDER in 11 of the NY Giants last 14 games on the road. Philadelphia is 9-2 SU in their last 11 games when playing NY Giants.

San Francisco (-17) at Jacksonville, O/U 40.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: San Francisco is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games. Jacksonville is 1-7 ATS in its last 8 games.

Cleveland at Kansas City (-9), O/U 39.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Cleveland's last 8 games on the road. Kansas City is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games.

N.Y. Jets at Cincinnati (-7.5), O/U 41 - Matchup Report

Trends: NY Jets are 9-1 SU in their last 10 games when playing Cincinnati. Cincinnati is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games at home.

Pittsburgh (-2.5) at Oakland, O/U 40.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone UNDER in 6 of Pittsburgh's last 8 games. The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Oakland's last 5 games at home.

Atlanta at Arizona (-2.5), O/U 44.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone OVER in 5 of Atlanta's last 5 games when playing on the road against Arizona. The total has gone OVER in 5 of Arizona's last 5 games when playing at home against Atlanta.

Washington at Denver (-14), O/U 57.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: The total has gone OVER in 4 of Washington's last 5 games when playing Denver. The total has gone OVER in 5 of Denver's last 5 games.

Green Bay (-10.5) at Minnesota, O/U 46.5 - Matchup Report

Trends: Green Bay is 6-1 SU in its last 7 games when playing Minnesota. The total has gone OVER in 6 of Minnesota's last 7 games at home.

Seattle (-11.5) at St. Louis, O/U 42 - Matchup Report

Trends: Seattle is 14-2 SU in its last 16 games when playing St. Louis. The total has gone OVER in 7 of St. Louis' last 8 games at home.

The discussion is NOT about point spreads.

The discussion is about perceived PARITY, and a fact that there have been more "close" games in the 4th quarter this year than any other year in history.

Whose needle and how do we know that needle's thinking?

Idzik's needle.  He's been close to the vest about it, but there's no way he's leaning more towards firing Rex than extending him at this point.  All of Idzik's offseason moves were made with an eye towards 2014, not 2013.  Yet we just took 2 out of the last 3 with wins over the Pats and Saints and are set up for a playoff run.  His one quote on the subject, that Rex has "Held things together well", is true.  He's taken a team with a lot of shifting parts and injuries and a raw rookie QB and has them 5-4 after a pretty brutal first half schedule. 

If you think firing Rex is on Idzik's mind right now, you're insane.  Now, if the Jets fall apart in the 2nd half, Idzik will justifiably have every reason to get rid of him.  But I don't think that will be the case.  There's a handful of wins to be had on this remaining schedule, and we're currently sitting in 6th place in the AFC.

Idzik's needle.  He's been close to the vest about it, but there's no way he's leaning more towards firing Rex than extending him at this point.  All of Idzik's offseason moves were made with an eye towards 2014, not 2013.  Yet we just took 2 out of the last 3 with wins over the Pats and Saints and are set up for a playoff run.  His one quote on the subject, that Rex has "Held things together well", is true.  He's taken a team with a lot of shifting parts and injuries and a raw rookie QB and has them 5-4 after a pretty brutal first half schedule. 

If you think firing Rex is on Idzik's mind right now, you're insane.  Now, if the Jets fall apart in the 2nd half, Idzik will justifiably have every reason to get rid of him.  But I don't think that will be the case.  There's a handful of wins to be had on this remaining schedule, and we're currently sitting in 6th place in the AFC.

So, conjecture based on really nothing.

So, conjecture based on really nothing.

Says the guy who has a brand new reason for why Rex deserves as little as credit as possible for any of the team's success in just about every other post, even if they contradict some previous reasons.  I've got no definitive stance on Rex's future with this team, and see no reason to have one until this season is over with, but you've made it difficult to take you particularly serious anymore on this topic.

You're the first one to point out everyone's apparent agendas, and I'm not saying they aren't out there, but you yourself are clearly amongst the very worst in that regards.  Hey, whatever, that's your prerogative and we've all had players and coaches we've disliked that much before, but don't act like you've got any degree of objectivity here when the only so-called "credit" you give the guy is really just your attempt to tell everyone why he doesn't deserve any credit for at least half of what this team does at any given time (although, interestingly enough, is still the first person you blame for any failures of that same half of the team).

Just for kicks- what's the Chiefs record with Rex Ryan?

With that defense, a Qb who doesnt make mistakes, and Jamal Charles?  Maybe not undefeated but considering who they've played...I wouldnt be shocked if it was 1 or 2 loss team.  

In addition to playing the easiest schedule in the NFL, they've also had some very lucky breaks this season: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jeff Tuel, Jason Campbell, Case Keenum all backups the Chiefs faced.  Besides, facing Terrell Pryor and Blaine Gabbert too.

Says the guy who has a brand new reason for why Rex deserves as little as credit as possible for any of the team's success in just about every other post, even if they contradict some previous reasons.  I've got no definitive stance on Rex's future with this team, and see no reason to have one until this season is over with, but you've made it difficult to take you particularly serious anymore on this topic.

You're the first one to point out everyone's apparent agendas, and I'm not saying they aren't out there, but you yourself are clearly amongst the very worst in that regards.  Hey, whatever, that's your prerogative and we've all had players and coaches we've disliked that much before, but don't act like you've got any degree of objectivity here when the only so-called "credit" you give the guy is really just your attempt to tell everyone why he doesn't deserve any credit for at least half of what this team does at any given time (although, interestingly enough, is still the first person you blame for any failures of that same half of the team).

Pretty sure I said "I give Rex credit as well" in this thread.

I am also pretty sure that all along, I have said my chief complaint with Rex is "consistency" in team performance. He hasn't exactly assuaged that this season.

I have never plead any objectivity, and said all along this is my opinion. You don't have to agree with it.

Make it week 18! 19!

Matching up 6 games from half the teams this year and 7 from the other half up against 16 games in prior years is grounds for a sound argument now?

Statistically, to some people Mark Sanchez still looked like a good QB through 6 games in 2010 with his 9/2 TD:INT ratio.  He finished that season with 24 TDs and  5 INTs didn't he?

Matching up 6 games from half the teams this year and 7 from the other half up against 16 games in prior years is grounds for a sound argument now?

Statistically, to some people Mark Sanchez still looked like a good QB through 6 games in 2010 with his 9/2 TD:INT ratio.  He finished that season with 24 TDs and  5 INTs didn't he?

What else are we supposed to base analysis of the 2013 football season on?

People don't look at statistics part way through a season to understand trends?

FACT- Based on this article, through 7 weeks, there was an historical high in 'close" games defined as within 7 points in the 4th quarter.

I think this in some way supports that there is parity in the league.

Archived