David Nelson

Maxman

It is kind of amazing.  Tanny goes out and gets Patrick Turner with very little upside.  Idzik gets guys like David Nelson who actually have upside.

New York Jets WR David Nelson, 11.11

On if this week’s game means more to him…

Anybody who tells you (that) when they play an old team or a team that cut them or something like that, they tell you that it’s just another game, is lying to you. Because this is definitely more than just another game for me. It’s going to be an emotional game, it’s going to be a fun game. This game holds a little more in my heart than most others. That’s just the way it is. Like I said, I have so many great relationships with the people there, the guys in the locker room and that fan base. Because of the way it kind of ended, it’s still kind of a little difficult for me to swallow. But at the same time, I’m glad to be here. I consider it a true blessing to be here and (I’m) glad the way it worked out. I’m truly honored and blessed for the way it all worked out. This isn’t just another game for me, it’s going to be personal and I think you’ll see that on Sunday.

On the difficulties of playing on the road in Buffalo…

I don’t know anything about that, to be completely honest with you, I have some great memories in that stadium. A lot of my best games were played in that stadium. I like to feel like that hopefully I’ll feel right at home when I step on the field there, even though I’ll be on the other sideline and dressing in the other dressing room. I do know there’s a lot of difficulties to playing in that stadium, as far as the wind, the crowd is extremely loud. Hopefully I can be a guiding light to some of these guys on this team to help them get over that. For me, it’s just like going home. I’ve played maybe 20 plus games in that stadium, I’m very familiar with it. I’m excited to go back.

On how he was able to acclimate as fast as he did…

(I have) great teammates and great coaches. I can sit here and say that I was ready to come and ready to play, but I really wasn’t. My teammates did a great job of taking it upon themselves to get me ready. My coaches did a great job of being proactive. Even if I said that I knew what I was doing, they made sure that I knew what I was doing – they really beat it in me. My teammates have been great since I’ve got here. They really have seen something in me and seen that I can help this team, and they really took it upon themselves to install the offense, and not just the offense, but the way of this locker room, the identity of this football team. I’ve been extremely blessed to be a part of these guys. I’m hoping to pay them back with my play on Sunday.

It is kind of amazing.  Tanny goes out and gets Patrick Turner with very little upside.  Idzik gets guys like David Nelson who actually have upside.

I think the biggest factor is Idzik having the stones to draft Geno.  A guy who knows how to lead receivers on occasion makes a world of difference.  I bet if we brought Patrick Turner back he might make some plays in this offense too.  I do like Nelson though.

Aaron Maybin.  David Nelson.  Who's the next former Bill we can get some juice out of? 

David Nelson ‘Extremely Excited’ to Play the Bills

Posted 1 hour ago

Randy Lange

Editor-in-Chief, newyorkjets.com

@rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar

David Nelson couldn't hold it in, even in the minutes following our rousing win over the Saints two weeks ago.

Next up, David, is Buffalo. Any thoughts?

"Against my old team ... I'm excited, I'm excited," the wideout said, shifting postgame gears seamlessly. "A lot of people try to give you the politically correct term of it's just another game. That's not for me. It's going to be an extremely emotional game.

"Not only is it against my old team, it's in their house, in the place where I was a big part of what they were doing there for three years. That's where my career started, where I kind of made a name for myself in the league. There's a lot of special memories, a lot of players that are still there that I hold deep connections with. And so I'm extremely, extremely excited to go back up there and play those guys."

Fast-forward to Monday back at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center after our first practice following the bye week, and Nelson gave more insight into why this game means so much. You see, after his first two seasons as a productive Buffalo wideout, he tore his ACL early last season. And in March he heard through a familiar medium that the Bills had made him a cap casualty.

"I found out through Twitter — like a lot of other things in life," Nelson said. "At the end of the day it's still a little difficult for me to swallow."

Despite expressing respect and gratitude to the fans, his former teammates and the Bills organization, he said, "For them it was a business decision, but for me it was extremely personal. I thought we had developed a great relationship over there to where I could get at least a phonecall, some kind of acknowledgement, but that wasn't the case. That decision was driving me and motivating me every single day, so It's kind of made me the player I am today."

That player is a Jets in-season signing who in the past five games has helped keep our battered and bruised wideouts moving forward. He has had 23 passes targeted for him and 16 catches for 199 yards. He gave as good as he got from Bengals CB Pacman Jones. And he became one of Geno Smith's new "security blankets" as Santonio Holmes and Jeff Cumberland (injuries) and Kellen Winslow (suspension) were stripped away from him.

"An impressive young man," head coach Rex Ryan said of Nelson. "I like him. He competes his tail off. The fact that he's able to pick up an offense in the short amount of time that he did — very impressive. And it speaks volumes to the teachers you have in there. Marty Mornhinweg, Sanjay [Lal], those guys do a great job. But it tells you about him, it tells you about the person.

"I know he gained all the respect in the world from all his teammates."

David Nelson uses words like "honored," "blessed" and "proud" to describe being a Jet these days, and now he wants to show the Bills how big a blessing it really is on Sunday at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Of course, Nelson, being one sharp dude, knows this buildup can be a double-edged sword, so he's developed a mental approach to this game — to any game, in fact, in which an athlete is returning to play against a former team that let him go.

"I think some guys try to downplay it, try to keep the emotions out of it, try to keep the feelings out of it," he said regarding Chris Ivory's strong, silent approach to his rematch with the Saints. "But then when it all comes to the surface, sometimes it's just a little overwhelming. So for me, I'm just going to go ahead and embrace it now, get it out of my system Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, so that when Sunday comes around, I'm ready to play ball."

Further, Nelson knows he has help this week as he tries to stay within himself and within the execution of the game plan. Holmes looks to be back and ready to resume his season after missing five games with a hamstring injury. Ivory is still prepared to divvy up the running game with Bilal Powell.

"I'll just continue to talk to guys like Tone and Chris, figure out what they went through that week [against their former teams] and learn from them," he said. "You've just got to take it as it goes and hopefully it won't be made too much of."

Well, no more than Nelson is making of it himself. But he seems to have it together as he prepares for this game that "holds a little more in my heart than most others."

"It's going to be an emotional game," he said. "It's going to be a fun game."

I think the biggest factor in that has a lot to do with Mornhinweg and his ability to integrate everyone into his offense based on their abilities and not try to fit pieces into their offense even if they don't fit. Mangini, Tanny, Sparano never seemed to be able to build around talent, they had a system and if guys didn't fit in they would trade em, rather than figure out a way to work them in. I think that's one of Mornhinweg's biggest attributes and it keeps all the guys amped up, because everyone knows at any given time they have an opportunity to produce. Very similar to Payton in Norleans: everyone on the offense has a designed play or two just for him, so they always are ready and geared up, it's pretty smart actually.

I think the biggest factor is Idzik having the stones to draft Geno.  A guy who knows how to lead receivers on occasion makes a world of difference.  I bet if we brought Patrick Turner back he might make some plays in this offense too.  I do like Nelson though.

Aaron Maybin.  David Nelson.  Who's the next former Bill we can get some juice out of? 

I'm hoping it's Jim Kelly.

I think the biggest factor in that has a lot to do with Mornhinweg and his ability to integrate everyone into his offense based on their abilities and not try to fit pieces into their offense even if they don't fit. Mangini, Tanny, Sparano never seemed to be able to build around talent, they had a system and if guys didn't fit in they would trade em, rather than figure out a way to work them in. I think that's one of Mornhinweg's biggest attributes and it keeps all the guys amped up, because everyone knows at any given time they have an opportunity to produce. Very similar to Payton in Norleans: everyone on the offense has a designed play or two just for him, so they always are ready and geared up, it's pretty smart actually.

Agreed.  I think the same thing is true of Andy Reid.  I was reading an article in SI about the Chiefs this morning in the doctor's office.  It told how Reid has changed the culture of that team, and how players are excited to have him there and how they feel important and included.  It gave the example of a play that the Chiefs ran against the Browns.  In that formation, the Browns doubled Bowe (who was the primary target) and QB Alex Smith had to go to another receiver.  As Bowe came off the field, Reid asked him what he saw, and Bowe told him how the defender near him had nodded his head at him, clapped his hands 2x, and then he was doubled.  Reid then asked him for his thoughts on how Bowe thought they could make the play work.  Bowe suggested have Dexter McCluster and he switch routes.  Instead of Bowe running the seam route, he would run an out pattern and McCluster would run the seam route.  The result?  McCluster made a great diving catch for a TD that made the highlight reels.  Bowe said that he's never had a coach who involves the players so much.

Buck Showalter used to do the same thing when he was the manager of the Yankees and they won a lot.  He would use every single player and give them an opportunity to contribute.  It kept them all sharper, in the game mentally, and made it more of a team effort.

Meh, he was decent, but replaceable for sure. Never had any issues with him, good kid. Lots of middling WRs out there like him though. He wouldn't have helped us not be 3-7 either. 

Yea, definitely replaceable, but still pretty surprised you guys let him go. I understand he'd be behind Stevie, Woods and whomever else, but he seems like a solid guy to have on your team.

Man David Nelson really showed us. On a day we were down our top 2 WRs, him having a nice day might have actually been noticed. He was invisible though. Nice guy, but no worries letting him walk. Very replaceable. 

QB sure has nothing to do with WR production

whew at least we have our QB of the future

The Jets don't have ONE GOOD NFL WR on the entire roster. Holmes is a fraud and will be gone soon. Hill is invisible and Nelson, and Salas are serviceable backup types. Honestly T-Rex let this offense rot for years while drafting barely talented DB's and DE's turned LB's and it will take a few drafts and some solid FA acquisitions to make the Jets offense up to par.

The Jets don't have ONE GOOD NFL WR on the entire roster. Holmes is a fraud and will be gone soon. Hill is invisible and Nelson, and Salas are serviceable backup types. Honestly T-Rex let this offense rot for years while drafting barely talented DB's and DE's turned LB's and it will take a few drafts and some solid FA acquisitions to make the Jets offense up to par.

I'll take Kerley on my team ANY day.

Nelson isnt a good WR.

Which is why he's one of the 6 to 12 street free agents starting or playing a significant role on this team.

Not sure why anyone is complaining, this is a team full of guys that got picked last in dodgeball.

Archived