Woody Johnson "happy" with the "direction" of the team

T0mShane

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still hope Geno is that guy but I'm not seeing it.  

ive been very anti Geno all year but if he can play going forward like he did against the Raiders, the Jets might not need to draft another QB. He was significantly better this week and (maybe) he turned a corner. 

The whole Rex Ryan era of Jets football has been about Woody exercising the demons of being picked on as a kid.

The Jets have had 2 coaches in the last 20 years that have big wins: tuna and rex. it's that simple. If rex were as bad as you all say he is, this team wouldn't be 6-7 and he would have been fired already. 

The Jets have had 2 coaches in the last 20 years that have big wins: tuna and rex. it's that simple. If rex were as bad as you all say he is, this team wouldn't be 6-7 and he would have been fired already. 

Again, and I have said it before. We seem to give REX a "pass" every year, because every year we hear the same thing, That Rex is doing a great job, because the team is so devoid of talent. Is the team devoid of talent because Rex cant develop "good" talent, or are they devoid of talent because Rex and his Gm's cant spot talent.

When exactly will we know that REX now has a roster that is stacked, and who will determine this?

Also, and I have asked this before, How long must us Jet fans wait until REX has a stacked roster, so we can decide if he really is a great caoch, as the supporters state, if he has talent? Sorry, I'm not willing to risk that when REX does get this mythical "stacked roster" that he merely does his usual coaching job and we are again7-9/8-8/9-7. Sorry but I'm not willing to wait or risk it.

Again, and I have said it before. We seem to give REX a "pass" every year, because every year we hear the same thing, That Rex is doing a great job, because the team is so devoid of talent. Is the team devoid of talent because Rex cant develop "good" talent, or are they devoid of talent because Rex and his Gm's cant spot talent.

When exactly will we know that REX now has a roster that is stacked, and who will determine this?

Also, and I have asked this before, How long must us Jet fans wait until REX has a stacked roster, so we can decide if he really is a great caoch, as the supporters state, if he has talent? Sorry, I'm not willing to risk that when REX does get this mythical "stacked roster" that he merely does his usual coaching job and we are again7-9/8-8/9-7. Sorry but I'm not willing to wait or risk it.

I'd say 2010 was a pretty stacked roster.  I still wonder what those '09 and '10 teams could have done with Favre at QB.  Rex said that if we hadn't drafted Sanchez, he would have flown down to Mississippi to convince Favre to come back for another go. 

Failing to get a veteran QB in here in any of Rex's 5 seasons was a massive mistake.  You don't hand a defense-minded HC rookie QB's.

We seem to give REX a "pass" every year, 

Bullsh*t - that's just the new narrative. This fanbase anointed him when he was hired like they always do, rode his D like Sanchez for two years when times were good, and immediately turned in 2011. 2011's probably the year they should have fired Ryan. Since then I think he's come along well, though he's only 13-17 since. I'm more convinced about Ryan today than when he was hired. I'll be fully convinced if/when Geno has a strong December.

I'd say 2010 was a pretty stacked roster.  I still wonder what those '09 and '10 teams could have done with Favre at QB.  Rex said that if we hadn't drafted Sanchez, he would have flown down to Mississippi to convince Favre to come back for another go. 

Failing to get a veteran QB in here in any of Rex's 5 seasons was a massive mistake.  You don't hand a defense-minded HC rookie QB's.

OK, if we give credit to Rex in 2010 because he had a stacked roster, and went 11-5, and had an historically bad QB, so those are certainly points in REX's favor.

Then we must assume that the other 4 years of mediocrity (remember, most count 09 as mediocre due to Manning/Painter), he must have had a bad roster and did great to get us to mediocrity, at least that is what most Rex supporters are saying. So again, given this , tell me why REX is that much better than anyone else, when in the 1 year he had a stacked roster, he did very well, but when he has mediocre players, they play mediocre. This is the best we can do and for that reason, we should extend him?

You mean we cant find a coach, that even with a borderline roster cant go 10-6, 11-5,12-4. We cant find a coach to help players Overachieve? We cant find a coach like that? OK, if thats the case, then we might as well extend REX.

Bullsh*t - that's just the new narrative. This fanbase anointed him when he was hired like they always do, rode his D like Sanchez for two years when times were good, and immediately turned in 2011. 2011's probably the year they should have fired Ryan. Since then I think he's come along well, though he's only 13-17 since. I'm more convinced about Ryan today than when he was hired. I'll be fully convinced if/when Geno has a strong December.

Thats fine, and if thats the way you feel, then we hope you are correct, BUT most or a majority lets say of the fan base will disagree (myself of course being one of those), and be in the corner that their just has to be better than mediocrity out there. We shall see.

It's more like "if Geno's good: thanks Geno, with you and Ryan the Jets are now a perennial contender!" If Geno tanks this December then it's doubtful Ryan is coming back. 

Wow, Ryan's fate you believe rests in a Rookie Qb's hands, who is last in the league in just about every meaningful category, was a 2nd round pick who dropped from where some considered the top overall pick, and has shown the same remarkable ability to imitate his predecessor. I hope for Ryan's sake you are wrong.

Wow, Ryan's fate you believe rests in a Rookie Qb's hands, who is last in the league in just about every meaningful category, was a 2nd round pick who dropped from where some considered the top overall pick, and has shown the same remarkable ability to imitate his predecessor. I hope for Ryan's sake you are wrong.

Meh, I'm really over the fact that Geno and the Jets had a bad stretch this season. It was inevitable. Geno's better than his rookie stats to this point indicate, IMO anyway.

What do you mean, "we seem to give Rex a pass every year".  He's had 1 losing season and this seaosn isnt over.  Where are these "passes" you're referring to?  Were they to fire him after 2011?  That would seem pretty stupid.

Meh, I'm really over the fact that Geno and the Jets had a bad stretch this season. It was inevitable. Geno's better than his rookie stats to this point indicate, IMO anyway.

HAD a bad stretch? Are they over that bad stretch going 1-3 in the last 4 against the likes of Buffalo, Baltimore, Miami, and Oakland? You need to set the bar a bit higher, dont you think?

What do you mean, "we seem to give Rex a pass every year".  He's had 1 losing season and this seaosn isnt over.  Where are these "passes" you're referring to?  Were they to fire him after 2011?  That would seem pretty stupid.

I agree, even though I was in favor of firing him after 2011, because I thought especially 09, but to less of an extent 10, were smoke and mirrors. But your right, after 2011 seemed inappropriate. I guess beginning in 2011, then going to 2012, and especially this year, the rhetoric has been ramped up so that any Rex non-supporter can hear: "Rex is doing a great job because he has no talent". That is a pass, and you tell me, when will it end? I dont trust it to end anytime soo, so that is why I am in favor of going a different route.

Look, I'm not saying I am right (who the hell am I), but my personal feeling is to try a different direction. Sorry.

When did I EVER say Rex was awful?

Mediocre is the word I like to use, Not awful, but not above average, and his record indicates this. Mediocre seems to be adequate for many, but I would like to see if their is something better out there. There may not be, and if thats the case so be it, but I would like to try.

I agree, even though I was in favor of firing him after 2011, because I thought especially 09, but to less of an extent 10, were smoke and mirrors. But your right, after 2011 seemed inappropriate. I guess beginning in 2011, then going to 2012, and especially this year, the rhetoric has been ramped up so that any Rex non-supporter can hear: "Rex is doing a great job because he has no talent". That is a pass, and you tell me, when will it end? I dont trust it to end anytime soo, so that is why I am in favor of going a different route.

Look, I'm not saying I am right (who the hell am I), but my personal feeling is to try a different direction. Sorry.

I think Rex is doing a very admirable job this season.  To have this team technicaly in the conversation is impressive.  Maybe its not good enough to keep him around but thats not my decision.

However, he hasnt received any "passes".  He's paying for last season, right now.  He's coaching for his job with a rookie QB and talentless offense.  That doesnt seem like a pass, IMO.  Actually, quite the opposite. 

Really, I thought his record was in the realm of Mangini and Edwards? Maybe I have the definition of "above average" wrong? If he is above average, does that mean the Jets have fired the two above average coaches to precede Rex?

I think Rex is doing a very admirable job this season.  To have this team technicaly in the conversation is impressive.  Maybe its not good enough to keep him around but thats not my decision.

However, he hasnt received any "passes".  He's paying for last season, right now.  He's coaching for his job with a rookie QB and talentless offense.  That doesnt seem like a pass, IMO.  Actually, quite the opposite. 

This all seems fair.

40-37 is above average? I do have the definition wrong because this to me is the epitomy of Mediocre. Wow, .519 above average? is .550 hall of fame material. I just thought that maybe .600 was above average. OK, then Mangini and Edwards was above average.

Wow, I wish  in MY job review where I get it right about half the time, that I get rated above average, then maybe I could get a raise once in awhile.

I see Rex as good defensive coach and plyaers like to play for him- . Myself as  a manager though I get judged on all the aspects of my position not a select  few. Also do not like and never have his boasting. So where does this leave me-like some of Rex and dislike some of Rex. 

40-37 is above average? I do have the definition wrong because this to me is the epitomy of Mediocre. Wow, .519 above average? is .550 hall of fame material. I just thought that maybe .600 was above average. OK, then Mangini and Edwards was above average.

Wow, I wish  in MY job review where I get it right about half the time, that I get rated above average, then maybe I could get a raise once in awhile.

If you rank all the current HCs by winning percentage, he's like 15th out of 33. That's one way to get to "above average."  note i didn't say he was the greatest of all time i was correcting a bad fact in a post. if you say he's below average that goes against the evidence. 

btw Herm was 39-41 and Mangini was 23-25, beside being technically less than .500 both had terrible ends (Collapses) which precipitated their firings. Rex stopped a collapse yesterday. and if he keeps winning he will be doing a much better job than either of those yahoos. if Rex had lost out and the jets were 5-11 i'd probably agree it was time for a change. that's not what happened however and we should give him credit for his wins. 

If you rank all the current HCs by winning percentage, he's like 15th out of 33. That's one way to get to "above average."  note i didn't say he was the greatest of all time i was correcting a bad fact in a post. if you say he's below average that goes against the evidence. 

btw Herm was 39-41 and Mangini was 23-25, beside being technically less than .500 both had terrible ends (Collapses) which precipitated their firings. Rex stopped a collapse yesterday. and if he keeps winning he will be doing a much better job than either of those yahoos. if Rex had lost out and the jets were 5-11 i'd probably agree it was time for a change. that's not what happened however and we should give him credit for his wins. 

Ok, the correction could not have been in one of my posts, as I have always maintained, that he is "mediocre", not below average. Also, being 15th out of 32 (not 33, unless you count the fired coach and his replacement), puts him right about where I thought, in the middle of the pack or again, mediocre.

Above average to me would be top 10, and great would probably be top 5. Rex falls right about where I would expect him to fall, and sorry, but as a Jet fan, I want better than mediocre. By the way, I give credit to all coaches for wins, just not Rex.

Beating an Oakland team stopped a collapse? maybe, but just like another poster who said that they "had" a bad stretch, I pointed out that they just lost to Balt., Buffalo, Miami ,so did they stop anything beating Oakland?maybe, but if they get blown away by Carolina, where does that leave us?

Herm took over a 3-4 defense and a vertical passing game that could legitimately compete for a championship and turned it around to the polar opposite on both sides of the ball because he was a moron.

Mangini took over a tampa cover 2 and a WCO and also changed it around to a 3-4 and a wannabe air correal (sp?) offense.

Rex was the only of the three who did not need to change his system, the 3-4 he inherited from Mangini was different, but the roster was pretty well suited to what he wanted to do.

And he did not care about offense and inherited a dominating running offense.

If Rex had inherited a cover 2 tampa defense and had to convert it to his defense, the early returns would be horrible, and the amount needed to turn around his defense would literally suffocate the offensive side of the ball for 5 years. Hell, the defensive moves suffocated our offense and he already had a 3-4 in place.

LOL at stopped a collapse!!

The Jets beat a horrid, horrid Raiders team with a horrid QB after traveling across the country to play in an early game, got a blocked punt and still were in a game with a few minutes to go.

That game alone deserves a 5 year contract extension, LOL with the Rex lovers.

I like Rex , but there comes a time when you have to move on. The only reason why I'd give any consideration to keeping him is to have some sort of consistency , not just resetting with another first year head coach. Other than that I think it's time for him to go.

Archived