Teddy Bridgewater lights up Miami in Russell Athletic Bowl

BurnleyJet

Number One overall?

Louisville junior quarterback Teddy Bridgewater played what he called one of his best games in throwing for a career-high 447 yards and three touchdowns Saturday night, leading the Cardinals to a 36-9 rout of Miami in the Russell Athletic Bowl.

Whether his sterling performance came in his final college game is the question. In a postgame interview on the field, Bridgewater, who graduated earlier this month, told ESPN that he would meet with his coaches and his family before making a decision on whether to enter the draft. If he chooses to go pro, he will be a prime contender to be the No. 1 overall pick in the May draft.

"I have until Jan. 15," Bridgewater said, referring to the underclassmen draft-declaration deadline. "We want to celebrate tonight's victory, and each of us, whether it's seniors or underclassmen -- we all have decisions to make. But for tonight we wanted to focus on this game and get this game out of the way. Celebrate it and enjoy this moment."

Bridgewater finished the season with 31 touchdowns -- a school single-season record -- and just four interceptions. After completing 35 of his 45 pass attempts, he raised his completion percentage to 70.96, leaping past East Carolina's Shane Carden for No. 1 in the FBS. The completions total was one shy of tying a career high.

Bridgewater showed off his entire arsenal Saturday night, including his first rushing touchdown of the season. He rolled left, he rolled right, he stood comfortably in the pocket, he moved around in the pocket -- no matter what he did, he usually hit his target. He was 19 of 26 for 231 yards and two TDs in the first half and 16 of 19 for 216 yards and a touchdown in the second half. He also did a nice job spreading the ball around, completing passes to 10 receivers.

"I played against him in high school," Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman told reporters afterward. "He pretty much did the same thing, just a lot better."

As well as he played, Bridgewater probably should've completed at least three more passes -- he overthrew two open receivers and underthrew another. Bridgewater also took a sack for a safety early in the first quarter, giving Miami a short-lived 2-0 lead; he had time to get rid of the ball but looked as if he was trying to wait for an open receiver.

Bridgewater was the first quarterback to throw for 400 yards on the Hurricanes this season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304986/article/teddy-bridgewater-lights-up-miami-in-russell-athletic-bowl

Not even Rex could ruin this kids game (like Smith and Sanchez) could he?

If not for Rex, Sanchez would be.... what?

if he already graduated, and stays, he gets to take ballroom dancing classes and be there for the change to the ACC

I think he pulls an Andrew luck and stays

If there's a lot of talk about him going #1 overall, then it think that's a pretty strong argument to come out. A lot can happen in another college season. He could lose teammates and his production could drop or, worse, he could get hurt. I'd advise him to strike while the iron was hot.

if he already graduated, and stays, he gets to take ballroom dancing classes and be there for the change to the ACC

I think he pulls an Andrew luck and stays

He'd be a fool. If he comes out this year, he goes to the Rams or Texans, which are both good scenarios. If he stays in, he goes behind Winston next year and risks ending up a Raider.

If not for Rex, Sanchez would be.... what?

If there's a lot of talk about him going #1 overall, then it think that's a pretty strong argument to come out. A lot can happen in another college season. He could lose teammates and his production could drop or, worse, he could get hurt. I'd advise him to strike while the iron was hot.

he can graduate with the classmates he came in with, compete for a national championship in the ACC, and be the BMOC with a class load of electives like art appreciation, ballroom dancing and weightlifting

the NFL will be there next year.  with the new rookie wage scale, sliding from #1 to #5 isn't that big a deal.

the NFL is a grind.  it's a job

I'd take my senior year, you only get one chance at that in your life

Wow.

I do have to re-phrase a bit, as I did point out how bad QB's are from USC (and they are awful) but the mere fact that REX actually honed in on a USC QB with their history, and then traded up to get him is still mind-boogling, so I guess Rex didnt "ruin", Sanchez, he just aided in the inevitable "ruin".

I do have to re-phrase a bit, as I did point out how bad QB's are from USC (and they are awful) but the mere fact that REX actually honed in on a USC QB with their history, and then traded up to get him is still mind-boogling, so I guess Rex didnt "ruin", Sanchez, he just aided in the inevitable "ruin".

Right, Rex did that. It had nothing to do with the incumbent GM, or the incumbent OC -and first runner up for head coach- Brian Schottenheimer. It was all 100% Rex. He also took your lunch money.

Right, Rex did that. It had nothing to do with the incumbent GM, or the incumbent OC -and first runner up for head coach- Brian Schottenheimer. It was all 100% Rex. He also took your lunch money.

And Smith being the Lowest rated QB in the NFL this year is who's fault? The GM, The OC, The QB coach, the waterboy? Surely not Rex and his high powered offensive schemes, right?

did anybody see his familly in the stands yeah he will come out and be the texans #1 pick!

Imagine that? New COACH, New #1 drafted QB. Anyone want to venture a guess on Houstons record next year?

Helpful note: The last time this happened, just LAST year in Indianapolis. Result :Playoffs, and this year Playoffs.

Hmmm...........

Imagine that? New COACH, New #1 drafted QB. Anyone want to venture a guess on Houstons record next year?

Helpful note: The last time this happened, just LAST year in Indianapolis. Result :Playoffs, and this year Playoffs.

Hmmm...........

well he would fall into a great team

Hmmm...........

Yeah, if only we'd fired Rex today... Then we'd have the #1 overall pick.

Archived