WFAN: Rex/Jets working on an extension (update: through 2015)

Integrity28

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read it... kinda feel like I should buying you the beer.

My method of editing is to say the same thing in 2 different ways and add 3 paragraphs in the process.  I hear it's a sign of genius.  That is what all the voices say.  And they keep saying it.  Over and over and over, and I'm not just bragging.

Does it still count even when the particular reader is the one other poster known for a tendency to write equally lengthy rants?  If so... beer me.

Whoa, I didn't say you'd get a free beer from ME.  Just that I will pray for you that sooner or later you will get a free beer before you die.  I have it in good with the Beer God of the North and it's as good as done.  But nowhere did I suggest I would be buying beers for anyone.  For reading one of my dopey posts? It's bad enough that 2 or 3 people wasted their time reading it, I'm supposed to reward this foolish behavior? I should just ban you and say justice has been done.  GFY.  Friggin' a-hole.

Whoa, I didn't say you'd get a free beer from ME.  Just that I will pray for you that sooner or later you will get a free beer before you die.  I have it in good with the Beer God of the North and it's as good as done.  But nowhere did I suggest I would be buying beers for anyone.  For reading one of my dopey posts? It's bad enough that 2 or 3 people wasted their time reading it, I'm supposed to reward this foolish behavior? I should just ban you and say justice has been done.  GFY.  Friggin' a-hole.

too short, did not read

My method of editing is to say the same thing in 2 different ways and add 3 paragraphs in the process.  I hear it's a sign of genius.  That is what all the voices say.  And they keep saying it.  Over and over and over, and I'm not just bragging.

Oh, it would have been a pity beer.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that the Jets have in any way refused to try to address the QB position, I think they've simply done an absolutely awful job when making those attempts.  Think about the recent history of the QB position with this team over the past 7 years and the significant investments they have made:

The team had an entrenched starter at QB - Chad Pennington

They still went out and spent a second round pick on another QB - Kellen Clemens

A year later, they traded for a proven veteran as a starter - Brett Favre

A year after that, they trade up into the top 5 for their "QB of the future" - Mark Sanchez

A few years later they trade for a so-called "proven winner" (ugh) - Tim Tebow

Then the next year, they draft a second rounder who many had labeled as the draft's top QB - Geno Smith

That's not even taking into account the fliers they took over that same time frame on late picks (e.g., Ainge, McElroy) or UDFAs (Ratliff, Simms) with hopes of getting lucky and hitting on something.  That's also obviously ignoring the veteran backups brought in as well, which is of course completely justifiable under the circumstances.  My only point being that I don't think it's a matter of the team not trying to address the position, I just think it's a matter of how miserably they have failed at it.  You can try as many times as you like, but if you don't eventually succeed it doesn't change much.

Funny thing is, thinking back to 2006 they had things wide open.  2013 was much the same.  Pennington was coming off a major surgery and a question mark.  They added Clemens (a 2nd rounder they traded up for) and traded for Patrick Ramsey who many thought would be the starter.  Ironically Ramsey had just lost his job to... drum roll please... Mark Brunell.  This year they had a starter Sanchez, a 2nd rounder and added a vet in Garrard.  

#Torre

So, you are doing the "I have no idea what a hashtag is, or what it's functional purpose is when used for appropriate social platforms, so instead I'm going to use it to make cutesy side-comments like all the other moms, aunts and grandmas on facebook" thing, eh?

So, you are doing the "I have no idea what a hashtag is, or what it's functional purpose is when used for appropriate social platforms, so instead I'm going to use it to make cutesy side-comments like all the other moms, aunts and grandmas on facebook" thing, eh?

Trying way too hard here.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that the Jets have in any way refused to try to address the QB position, I think they've simply done an absolutely awful job when making those attempts.  Think about the recent history of the QB position with this team over the past 7 years and the significant investments they have made:

The team had an entrenched starter at QB - Chad Pennington

They still went out and spent a second round pick on another QB - Kellen Clemens

A year later, they traded for a proven veteran as a starter - Brett Favre

A year after that, they trade up into the top 5 for their "QB of the future" - Mark Sanchez

A few years later they trade for a so-called "proven winner" (ugh) - Tim Tebow

Then the next year, they draft a second rounder who many had labeled as the draft's top QB - Geno Smith

That's not even taking into account the fliers they took over that same time frame on late picks (e.g., Ainge, McElroy) or UDFAs (Ratliff, Simms) with hopes of getting lucky and hitting on something.  That's also obviously ignoring the veteran backups brought in as well, which is of course completely justifiable under the circumstances.  My only point being that I don't think it's a matter of the team not trying to address the position, I just think it's a matter of how miserably they have failed at it.  You can try as many times as you like, but if you don't eventually succeed it doesn't change much.

I think you make a lot of good and fair points.

I personally never wanted the Jets to draft Sanchez. I thought where he was drafted was way too high, but for whatever reason they felt he was worth it.

I always saw Sanchez as having the upside being a good game manager, never an elite QB.

By far my biggest problem with how the position was handled was in 2011, and 2012. Somehow the organization, really Rex and Tanny convinced themselves that Sanchez was ready to be, and capable of being an upper tier QB who could lead an offense with far lesser talent than it had, and throwing the ball more.

I personally saw no reason to believe he was ready to do that, even after a pretty good playoff run in 2010. Letting Braylon go, and Cotch, letting the Oline slide was IMO not understanding what your QB was capable of. For Sanchez to succeed, he needed very good talent around him, you could never ask to much of him, I think he proved that.

To make matters worse, 2012 was like doubling down on 16 against an A showing in Blackjack. I get that they were tied to Sanchez, but IMO the organization did a horrible job not knowing what they didn't have in him, and we are still paying the price for that today.

Archived